FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Rant about inequality at car garages

Rant about inequality at car garages

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ittleMissCali OP   Woman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Okay... I do most of my work on my older cars myself... but on occasion due to the nature of the cars or not having something I need... I have to go ask a local garage.

Now I'm good with my cars... know exactly what I'm needing etc.

Im the process of restoring a car... 2 jobs I can't do myself .. so been ringing around for quotes etc so I have an idea

Same garage quoted my male friend 125quid cheaper as apparently I needed some extra bits...

Erm... no I don't. Rang to discuss it and they said that I don't understand the complexity of the job..

I do...

Then the paint job.. well... that's proving equally as interesting but for other reasons. Think me being female has nothing to do with the varying prices there.

So anyone else find that some places try to take advantage due to gender...either way around.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

That's really bad. I'm lucky to have a decent garage that I trust. Took a few attempts though as the first few were sexist.

Garages will rip off anyone they think doesn't have any idea about cars.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Yep had this issue in the past. Which is why I never take my car to the garage as I don't know enough about cars myself.

I restore classes car

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

I hate restaurants. When I’m with the wife they always give me the bill!

Sexist buggers.

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple  over a year ago

Fucksville

"Okay... I do most of my work on my older cars myself... but on occasion due to the nature of the cars or not having something I need... I have to go ask a local garage.

Im the process of restoring a car... 2 jobs I can't do myself .. so been ringing around for quotes etc so I have an idea

Same garage quoted my male friend 125quid cheaper as apparently I needed some extra bits...

Erm... no I don't. Rang to discuss it and they said that I don't understand the complexity of the job..

I do...

Then the paint job.. well... that's proving equally as interesting but for other reasons. Think me being female has nothing to do with the varying prices there.

So anyone else find that some places try to take advantage due to gender...either way around.

"

Yep had this with my classic restoration until I went in and chatted with them and the penny dropped that I knew what I was on about, makes my blood boil!

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

Poole

Luckily my eldest son was a mechinc. So does all the work on mine. £40 for 2nd hand air filter this weekend including the part.

Worst thing is, at the garage, they put the apprentice on the exspence jobs like clutches, and make even more money. As apprentice wage is pittance. And they have to buy all their own tools.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

That sounds out of order. I generally don't trust garages. I'm no car guru as my engineering background is electronics but I've worked a fair bit on my own cars over the years mainly because I'm tight. But I've learnt enough over the years to have a fair understanding of things. I've live all over the country and in the past I've taken cars to many different garages and found what they're saying at some to be dubious. Luckily I use a local garage now that I trust and are reasonable. Which is good because sometimes you don't have the equipment to do a job (or to do it in a quick efficient easy manner). And as I've got older I've become better off but found I have less free time. A job that make take me over half a day at home maybe takes the garage an hour. So it's just far better to take it in and enjoy my free time (I'm not into cars, I only work on them myself I can get my head around them it saves me money).

"Okay... I do most of my work on my older cars myself... but on occasion due to the nature of the cars or not having something I need... I have to go ask a local garage.

I do...

"

What is it you need doing? And regarding paint, if theres any advice you need drop me a message,

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Yup, I’ll always try sticking extra on top of anyone I think is clueless or too meek to say anything. More often that not that’s a woman

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Oh I have an old car … classic I mean

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We test drives high powered car a couple of years back. The salesman was incredulous when I said I'd driven it.

We bought the same model elsewhere...I'm still driving it

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple  over a year ago

Fucksville

"Yup, I’ll always try sticking extra on top of anyone I think is clueless or too meek to say anything. More often that not that’s a woman "

Pls say you're joking...

Forum Mod

East Sussex

* test drove a high powered car.

I can drive but I can't proof read

I do...

Hey what you restoring ?

"

"We test drives high powered car a couple of years back. The salesman was incredulous when I said I'd driven it.

We bought the same model elsewhere...I'm still driving it "

I had something similar. They had about owners day special drive ... the guy thought he had the short straw getting the only woman driver. He took me out and tried to scare me.

. When it was my turn... I returned the favour... he said I was the only driver to actually give it some beans all day

And to those asking.

I'm restoring a phase 1, 916 2.0 gtv alfa romeo.

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

Urgh, I hate this...but I sometimes toy with them for my own amusement. I'll go in acting a bit ditsy, let them tell me all the bollocks about it being something way more expensive than what it actually is, and then point out exactly why they're wrong, just to see that slack-jawed expression that they all do before telling them they've just lost a customer and walking out. Luckily I've found a mechanic that I trust, and he's not even a quarter of a mile away from my house.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I've left garages before now or removed my car in the post-MOT fail period and taken it to another place for repair, because I know what I'm being told is required is utter BS. I now have a trusted local garage, he knows me, I know him and I've never been over charged for anything. I'm not a mechanic but I certainly understand the science behind the electrics and other things that are most likely to go kaput.

The guy who tried to tell me I needed to pay for extensive rewiring because my rear reg plate light wasn't working is still my favourite. The problem? The bulb had gone. He tried to tell me it needed hundreds of pounds of new wiring and proceeded to "educate" me about how electrical lights work.

I couldn't care less about the MOT "package" included with my not-new car, I'll just take it to my dude near home. One bulb and a couple of quid later, all sorted (and it's still working a good 4yrs later!)

Luckily I have a great garage & they’ve never ripped me off. It helps that my sister has used them for years, as did my mum, & brother does. He also does wee jobs for free, like changing lights, & even checked my clutch for me for nothing. Though he did charge me for fitting a ‘new’ drivers seat lol

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

I had an interesting experience at a a Kwik fit garage. I had my car serviced at a local garage, they told me my front tires had about 2000 miles left and my front brake pads probably the same. Discs were fine.Rear pads and discs fine as well.

I have a guys that changes tires on my car in the carpark were I work. He changes my tires and said my front pads were a bit low but couldnt change them until the following week.

So this was Friday . Friday afternoon I was food shopping and noticed a Kwik fit garage opposite.I thought I might as well get the pads done there

I popped inand did my shopping.

I then went to collect my car..They told me that the front discs rear discs and all pads needed changing, they could do it for £550.

I told them that two independent people had told me they were fine.

His answer was they probably measure wear in a different way to us.

I was furious. They had the tires off my car ready to do the work.

Of course I had them put everything back and told them to bugger off.

Three months later I had my car MOTed and of course it passed

"I had an interesting experience at a a Kwik fit garage. I had my car serviced at a local garage, they told me my front tires had about 2000 miles left and my front brake pads probably the same. Discs were fine.Rear pads and discs fine as well.

I have a guys that changes tires on my car in the carpark were I work. He changes my tires and said my front pads were a bit low but couldnt change them until the following week.

So this was Friday . Friday afternoon I was food shopping and noticed a Kwik fit garage opposite.I thought I might as well get the pads done there

I popped inand did my shopping.

I then went to collect my car..They told me that the front discs rear discs and all pads needed changing, they could do it for £550.

I told them that two independent people had told me they were fine.

His answer was they probably measure wear in a different way to us.

I was furious. They had the tires off my car ready to do the work.

Of course I had them put everything back and told them to bugger off.

Three months later I had my car MOTed and of course it passed"

Kwik Fit are terrible. Once went because my battery was flat and nowhere else was open.

They said there was a hole in my exhaust and I needed a new one. Quoted some ridiculous price. I paid for just the battery and took the car to my garage.

He said it looked like they had poked a hole in it, no way it was accidental damage or due to wear.

By *haron StonerTV/TS  over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Egads!

Woman are charged more simply because for a fuck they can get the bill reduced. Maybe three or four fucks if its a really complex job like changing the electronics in the radiator cap, most women just think it's a simple job.

Get on your back and ill tell you all about it.

That's why it's cheaper for blokes you ninnys.

Try being a woman in a builder’s merchant; the price varies entirely on who you are and if I go to a branch other than my local one, they really try it on.

By *awpleasureMan  over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

[Removed by poster at 25/01/22 07:33:49]

By *awpleasureMan  over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

Exactly this. My friend is a university lecturer and they take one look at him and think he knows sod all about cars. He's been 'had' a few times. Now he always asks me before parting with his cash.

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

I run a garage and I see this all the time. Hours charged against hours worked is my biggest area that really gets to me.

But remember it’s not only lots of garages that want to rip you off it’s just about every industry.

They do it to everyone, turn up in my suit to get bike stuff they think easy money, turn up in oil stained jeans they laugh and joke and find stuff out the back cheaper, it's all about perceptions and who can be easy to charge more.

"I run a garage and I see this all the time. Hours charged against hours worked is my biggest area that really gets to me.

But remember it’s not only lots of garages that want to rip you off it’s just about every industry.

"

Painters plumbers builders etc etc

By *aggy dollsCouple  over a year ago

Bradford

On the rare occasion that we use a garage, I always insist that they leave any parts that are taken off and replaced in the boot, and then I challenge them about anything I find suspect.

Mr Hayes.

By *arker secrets 321Man  over a year ago

West Bromwich

Sadly it happens ..x

By *armandwet50Couple  over a year ago

Far far away

"Garages will rip off anyone they think doesn't have any idea about cars. "

This

maidenhead

"I run a garage and I see this all the time. Hours charged against hours worked is my biggest area that really gets to me.

Painters plumbers builders etc etc"

I actually think painters are the most overpaid people.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

I do...

"

I’m struggling to see any evidence that you are being charged more because you are a woman. Might feel that way, and that might be your suspicion, but I’m struggling to see any proof that that is the case.

As for other posters saying they don’t trust garages, I’m always disappointed to read those comments, as my experience of local garages has always been fantastic.

henley on thames

I actually think painters are the most overpaid people. "

Yeah. There’s no way Michelangelo spent 4 years painting one bloody ceiling. Obviously ok a day rate and taking the piss, probably had several jobs ok the go. “I’ll leave that bit to dry for a few days. I’ll be back on Thursday”

maidenhead

Yeah. There’s no way Michelangelo spent 4 years painting one bloody ceiling. Obviously ok a day rate and taking the piss, probably had several jobs ok the go. “I’ll leave that bit to dry for a few days. I’ll be back on Thursday” "

He wasn’t a painter he was a artist. Two very different jobs.

On a positive note, I've never gotten a speeding ticket and Im pretty sure it's something to do with having boobs and blonde hair

henley on thames

Yeah. There’s no way Michelangelo spent 4 years painting one bloody ceiling. Obviously ok a day rate and taking the piss, probably had several jobs ok the go. “I’ll leave that bit to dry for a few days. I’ll be back on Thursday”

He wasn’t a painter he was a artist. Two very different jobs. "

... my attempt at humour obviously sailed over your head.

By *inkyeroticaCouple  over a year ago

Ampthill

"

I’m struggling to see any evidence that you are being charged more because you are a woman. Might feel that way, and that might be your suspicion, but I’m struggling to see any proof that that is the case.

"

I friend was telling me how her daughter was always been advised of “extra work needed” on her car when it went in for a service. Bought new, ultra reliable Japanese brand. Suspicious I thought.

Knew a guy driving the same model using the same dealer, so I asked him if he was tapped for extra work when he had the car serviced at that dealership. His reply?

“No. But my girlfriend does.”

maidenhead

He wasn’t a painter he was a artist. Two very different jobs.

... my attempt at humour obviously sailed over your head. "

The humour was lost on you lol

w

"

I friend was telling me how her daughter was always been advised of “extra work needed” on her car when it went in for a service. Bought new, ultra reliable Japanese brand. Suspicious I thought.

Knew a guy driving the same model using the same dealer, so I asked him if he was tapped for extra work when he had the car serviced at that dealership. His reply?

"

The phrase “and fool and their money are easily parted” isn’t gendered

Business is business. If I put up a light for a single mum, it’s £20. If I do it a mansion, it’s £100

Women aren’t getting charged more because they are women, it’s because there’s a combination of

1. Not knowing enough about the subject to accurately price it

2. Being to shy/meek to challenge the price

Business is business, your free to say sounds expensive I’m gonna get a 2nd opinion. As are they free to charge what they want

I highly suspect that when a meek looking business man walks in that doesn’t know the 1st thing about the work, he’s getting money charged more too

maidenhead

"

Business is business. If I put up a light for a single mum, it’s £20. If I do it a mansion, it’s £100

Women aren’t getting charged more because they are women, it’s because there’s a combination of

Business is business, your free to say sounds expensive I’m gonna get a 2nd opinion. As are they free to charge what they want

I highly suspect that when a meek looking business man walks in that doesn’t know the 1st thing about the work, he’s getting money charged more too "

The same light and the same time should not mean a higher price.

Just because they have more money should not mean a higher price for them. You just hit the nail on the head this I considered to be a rip off. That god you are not my electrician.

w

"

I highly suspect that when a meek looking business man walks in that doesn’t know the 1st thing about the work, he’s getting money charged more too

Just because they have more money should not mean a higher price for them. You just hit the nail on the head this I considered to be a rip off. That god you are not my electrician.

"

It’s a free market. If I say £100 and some guy that earns 100k a year thinks it’s a fair price whose getting ripped off?

If your not prepared to shop around then you’ll be forced to pay what your quoted. That’s how it works

"

It’s a free market. If I say £100 and some guy that earns 100k a year thinks it’s a fair price whose getting ripped off?

If your not prepared to shop around then you’ll be forced to pay what your quoted. That’s how it works "

I do agree with this.

As long as I'm the one getting it for £20.

henley on thames

"

If your not prepared to shop around then you’ll be forced to pay what your quoted. That’s how it works "

So you are actually serious about deliberately overcharging people because you think they are rich or clueless?

w

"

If your not prepared to shop around then you’ll be forced to pay what your quoted. That’s how it works

So you are actually serious about deliberately overcharging people because you think they are rich or clueless? "

Absolutely. I wouldn’t overcharge a struggling single mum, I’ll undercharge her

But if I turn up to a mansion with 4 posh cars on the drive and a guy with more cash then sense answers the door, yes I’m charging more

In a free market society, I’m allowed to price as I see fit, and he’s allowed to deny it and go for a 2nd opinion.

And if your rude? I’m charging more. Rude tax

Forum Mod

East Sussex

My dad used to put huge and unrealistic estimates in for jobs he didn't want to do but didn't want to actually turn work away. A surprising number of people agreed to the price.

w

"My dad used to put huge and unrealistic estimates in for jobs he didn't want to do but didn't want to actually turn work away. A surprising number of people agreed to the price."

My dad got asked to do a big industrial job. He was too embarrassed to say he couldn’t handle it. So instead he priced it up, doubled the price 3 times, then sent it in.

They still accepted it.

He took half the money and paid someone else the other half to do it

henley on thames

"

So you are actually serious about deliberately overcharging people because you think they are rich or clueless?

But if I turn up to a mansion with 4 posh cars on the drive and a guy with more cash then sense answers the door, yes I’m charging more

In a free market society, I’m allowed to price as I see fit, and he’s allowed to deny it and go for a 2nd opinion.

And if your rude? I’m charging more. Rude tax "

If you are serious, the behaviour you are describing is unethical and disgusting

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

Most garages will chance their luck.

We used to tippex filters etc before cars went in for service work. Majority of times the filters were never changed and that was at various main dealers.

Always get a second opinion.

If I have a customer arguing about prices and get told they can get it done somewhere else cheaper, I tell them crack on I’m busy enough.

They usually phone back a month or so later complaining the work wasn’t done properly etc.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Caveat emptor

w

"

If you are serious, the behaviour you are describing is unethical and disgusting "

I’d suggest you read up on ethics and equity then.

Is it fair that after the 50k/year mark your tax goes up to 40%?

Is that unethical? Is it disgusting?

Or is it a corner stone idea in the modern world that people who can pay more should?

No one’s forcing them to hire me to charge their light. Yet in this country and many others you are forced into paying into a high tax bracket purely because you’ve dared to work hard and earn more.

Meaningless insults and quips mean nothing to me trying to earn a business.

It’s says a lot about you that your more upset when I charge a millionaire extra

Yet you seem to care very little that I undercharge those who I feel need the help

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

This is way I've been thinking of training as a mechanic or training in some sort of other male orientated profession.

I think its due to garage's being greedy regarding customers

I've worked in many garages over the last twenty years the worst being a main dealer who would rip off anyone. im fortunate to work at a independent specialist now and we have a good customer relationship and customers trust us that's the key.

By *aggy dollsCouple  over a year ago

Bradford

"This is way I've been thinking of training as a mechanic or training in some sort of other male orientated profession."

You should do it, luna works In a male dominant industry and not only does she love it she's also very successful and respected.

Mr Hayes

By *parkle1974Woman  over a year ago

Leeds

"This is way I've been thinking of training as a mechanic or training in some sort of other male orientated profession.

You should do it, luna works In a male dominant industry and not only does she love it she's also very successful and respected.

Mr Hayes "

I am seriously considering it x

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"Egads!

Woman are charged more simply because for a fuck they can get the bill reduced. Maybe three or four fucks if its a really complex job like changing the electronics in the radiator cap, most women just think it's a simple job.

Get on your back and ill tell you all about it.

That's why it's cheaper for blokes you ninnys. "

Are the mechanics smoking hot? If not I'd rather pay thanks, and not extra because I'm a "clueless woman".

North West

"Most garages will chance their luck.

We used to tippex filters etc before cars went in for service work. Majority of times the filters were never changed and that was at various main dealers.

Always get a second opinion.

If I have a customer arguing about prices and get told they can get it done somewhere else cheaper, I tell them crack on I’m busy enough.

They usually phone back a month or so later complaining the work wasn’t done properly etc. "

I ask to see old parts e.g brake discs, before finalising a job. Stops this sort of charging for not doing work.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"My dad used to put huge and unrealistic estimates in for jobs he didn't want to do but didn't want to actually turn work away. A surprising number of people agreed to the price.

My dad got asked to do a big industrial job. He was too embarrassed to say he couldn’t handle it. So instead he priced it up, doubled the price 3 times, then sent it in.

They still accepted it.

He took half the money and paid someone else the other half to do it "

Building contract companies do that for a business.

They get the contracts and sub them out for much less.

North West

"My dad used to put huge and unrealistic estimates in for jobs he didn't want to do but didn't want to actually turn work away. A surprising number of people agreed to the price."

This is why we don't have a new kitchen! The only tradesman who actually came back with a quote gave the most ridiculous quote. It's obvious he doesn't want to do it so we won't employ him. Most others either don't come to price up when they say or go away and never actually send a price.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"My dad used to put huge and unrealistic estimates in for jobs he didn't want to do but didn't want to actually turn work away. A surprising number of people agreed to the price.

This is why we don't have a new kitchen! The only tradesman who actually came back with a quote gave the most ridiculous quote. It's obvious he doesn't want to do it so we won't employ him. Most others either don't come to price up when they say or go away and never actually send a price. "

Yep I would always say to people if you get three quotes and one is much higher than the other two it's because they don't want the work.

I will also say that my father was a very skilled man whose work was enequalled until my brother took over (even my dad who taught him says he's better) so people would happily pay top dollar and wait months.

maidenhead

This is why we don't have a new kitchen! The only tradesman who actually came back with a quote gave the most ridiculous quote. It's obvious he doesn't want to do it so we won't employ him. Most others either don't come to price up when they say or go away and never actually send a price. "

I fitted my own kitchen and saved over 4K in labour.

By *hischarmingdevilMan  over a year ago

Ringwood

"Okay... I do most of my work on my older cars myself...

"

You had me at "I do most of my work on my older cars myself..." Do you want to get married? hahahaha

North West

This is why we don't have a new kitchen! The only tradesman who actually came back with a quote gave the most ridiculous quote. It's obvious he doesn't want to do it so we won't employ him. Most others either don't come to price up when they say or go away and never actually send a price.

I fitted my own kitchen and saved over 4K in labour. "

We need building work done before we can refit the kitchen. This is the issue.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I fitted my own kitchen and saved over 4K in labour. "

We've done everything on our house except the bathrooms. If I never shovel another load of ballast again it'll be too soon

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

From day one i have always done the vast majority of work myself, not only for saving time and money but the educational side of it learning how things work.

T

henley on thames

"

If you are serious, the behaviour you are describing is unethical and disgusting

I’d suggest you read up on ethics and equity then.

Is it fair that after the 50k/year mark your tax goes up to 40%?

Is that unethical? Is it disgusting?

Or is it a corner stone idea in the modern world that people who can pay more should?

No one’s forcing them to hire me to charge their light. Yet in this country and many others you are forced into paying into a high tax bracket purely because you’ve dared to work hard and earn more.

Meaningless insults and quips mean nothing to me trying to earn a business.

It’s says a lot about you that your more upset when I charge a millionaire extra

Yet you seem to care very little that I undercharge those who I feel need the help "

While it is nice that you charge less for people who are stuck for a few quid, deliberately ripping people off because of perceived ability to pay is very definitely unethical. I should pay more because you think I am richer than my neighbour? Rogue trading at its finest.

henley on thames

Seems like it is only me that is happy with the service that I get from my local garages. Really helpful, absolute transparency about work that needs to be done, high quality work. Excellent from start to finish.

North West

"

Seems like it is only me that is happy with the service that I get from my local garages. Really helpful, absolute transparency about work that needs to be done, high quality work. Excellent from start to finish. "

My local garage is great. But before I found it, I walked away from garages because I knew they were ripping me off.

Find a decent small independent as he will be less likely to rip you off, word of mouth is everything in that business....My ex is a mechanic and he is great, he is also great with his lady customers who make up more than half of his custom

Dealers have nothing to lose, my ex has seen shocking work allegedly done by the stealer dealer

By *hesblokeMan  over a year ago

Derbyshire village

We once went to buy a car and the sales chap kept talking to me rather than my OH - even after I explained that I don't drive!

We, of course, ended up going elsewhere...

"This is way I've been thinking of training as a mechanic or training in some sort of other male orientated profession."
I did motorbike mechanics at college. But wouldn't want to work in it x

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Carpet salesman are the worst, you have measurements , you have carpets priced per meter,,then in the middle you have special science only they know.

The numbers never add up.

I just got a quote for 4 bedrooms, bathroom, landing,,stairs, mid range carpets, top end underlay, plus couple of new floorboards and plywood in bathroom , 1 days work, it’s nearly as much as I paid for the property !

"Carpet salesman are the worst, you have measurements , you have carpets priced per meter,,then in the middle you have special science only they know.

The numbers never add up.

I just got a quote for 4 bedrooms, bathroom, landing,,stairs, mid range carpets, top end underlay, plus couple of new floorboards and plywood in bathroom , 1 days work, it’s nearly as much as I paid for the property ! "

this is so true lol

By *ayHaychMan  over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

I find some garages do try rip women off as they think “they don’t have a clue”.

At the same time they’ll rip anyone off who seems naive. Between 20-23 years old I was royally ripped off until I started learning about my vehicles and changed garages.

There are some really honest people out there but they’re hard to find!

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

I think you will find that some garages are ‘equal opportunities offenders’, they don’t discriminate , they will rip off anyone they can!

Thankfully there are many great & genuine independent garages that do a terrific job.

Find one and stay with them.

"I think you will find that some garages are ‘equal opportunities offenders’, they don’t discriminate , they will rip off anyone they can!

Thankfully there are many great & genuine independent garages that do a terrific job.

Find one and stay with them."

sadly who I used to take my car too will no longer touch my cars( friends with my ex hubby and he sends him a lot of work )

» Add a new message to this topic