FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Small talk

Small talk

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have always struggled to have small talk with people who are not much close to me. If we share a common topic of interest, that's great. I can talk forever. But if there is not much in common, all that follows is a period of awkward silence. It especially happens in family functions where there are many relatives who I am forced to talk with.

I envy the people who can keep the conversation going without much effort. How do you do it? Is there a trick/script that I can follow?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ed LipstickWoman  over a year ago

Fucksville

People like to talk about themselves so just ask them questions

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"People like to talk about themselves so just ask them questions "

Great advice always works for me when you have those awkward silences.

Great question! I'm shit at small talk too. At group socials I work the room like it's speed dating. About 3 minutes then I move on to someone else when I can see their eyes glaze over.

People like to talk about themselves. Just keep asking questions.

I can talk to anyone, but two of my daughters live in fear of awkward silences! They are pretty shy.

Will follow this with interest.

True

Wow! That sounds like a great trick. Thank you! I hope I don't ask them some awkward questions in the flow

I can't stand small talk. If I have something to contribute I will but I don't speak for the sake of speaking. People feel the need to fill silences with conversation about the weather or whatever, sometimes silence is golden.

By *aughty but nice...Man  over a year ago

Staffs

That's my advice when he conversation dips ask a question

"Great question! I'm shit at small talk too. At group socials I work the room like it's speed dating. About 3 minutes then I move on to someone else when I can see their eyes glaze over.

People like to talk about themselves. Just keep asking questions. "

Nice tips. Thank you

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

I can talk for England. I find it really easy, just chatter away. Half of it is probably a load of bollocks but I haven't been told to shut the fuck up yet

I can be the same when I meet new people but having this lifestyle has opened up conversation with many people over time. It becomes a lot easier when you talk to people you got something in common with x

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

I am quiet and really useless when comes to small talk or even flirt chat

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I either aim myself in the direction of a chatty person or I’ll stand around looking like a dick.

On here I just kiss them a lot. You don’t need to talk if you’re kissing!

When I used to do dating I would print off a list of questions to ask and just run over them in the car beforehand. Probably sounds a bit lame that, but that’s how terrible I am at small talk

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

"I can't stand small talk. If I have something to contribute I will but I don't speak for the sake of speaking. People feel the need to fill silences with conversation about the weather or whatever, sometimes silence is golden."

Bit grey outside i'nt it?

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

I'm awful at small talk and try not to talk about the weather too much. As said above I do try to ask about themselves and what they're into and ask questions so they can open up more as that puts me more at ease. Careful though as too many questions can sound like an interrogation

"I either aim myself in the direction of a chatty person or I’ll stand around looking like a dick.

On here I just kiss them a lot. You don’t need to talk if you’re kissing!

When I used to do dating I would print off a list of questions to ask and just run over them in the car beforehand. Probably sounds a bit lame that, but that’s how terrible I am at small talk "

Totally understand. I have been to speed dating events to improve my skills and ended up using same set of questions with everyone. Luckily some women had a list of questions themselves.

But good point about not having to talk if you are kissing. Won't work during team lunches though, will it?

» Add a new message to this topic