FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Where is the Bread Line

Where is the Bread Line

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Going by all figures , Price off Loaf goinv up Milk going up and all necessity going up .where does the title sit now ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

£1 was gòod , now £1 is Less

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Scary, isn’t it? I can’t believe the price increases that I’m seeing in the shops.

By *ewfie02Couple  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Hard to earn a crust these days

You know these supermarkets are all the same.. all about that dough.

Yep. Everything going up except wages. Filling my tank has increased by over £10 in the last year. It’s a joke and don’t even get me started on the gas and electric price increase.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

And some are creeping up slowly, and hit you unexpectedly like when the cashier has totalled it all. Others like gas and electic, they just wallop you. Mine is fixed still for another year but people are really struggling out there.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Everyone wants your money. One day some will be considerably richer than you as you both lie 6ft under.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

5.6% here, 5% Dubai I think Nigeria is now 15% it’s crazy times. Our western culture suffers under CPI impact worse though, we’re really dumb with money, we don’t make; share or repair much

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I read an article about how the percentage increase of the time cost of the cheapest food is in the hundreds. The overall figure is just lower because tge cost of luxury items hasn't increased very much. So basically the cost of living increases are skewed more towards the poorest end of society. It was a depressing read.

"I read an article about how the percentage increase of the time cost of the cheapest food is in the hundreds. The overall figure is just lower because tge cost of luxury items hasn't increased very much. So basically the cost of living increases are skewed more towards the poorest end of society. It was a depressing read. "

This is why I don’t read anymore.

Unless it’s Harry Potter.

Yorkshire

"I read an article about how the percentage increase of the time cost of the cheapest food is in the hundreds. The overall figure is just lower because tge cost of luxury items hasn't increased very much. So basically the cost of living increases are skewed more towards the poorest end of society. It was a depressing read.

Unless it’s Harry Potter."

What's the latest news with Harry?

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Yep. Everything going up except wages. Filling my tank has increased by over £10 in the last year. It’s a joke and don’t even get me started on the gas and electric price increase."

What is surprising is the rpi is only 4 %. From what I've seen it's more like 30 % on meat veg milk bread electric gas petrol et al

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I remember the late 70's early 80's when inflation got over 15% here...... so many homes repossessed. People were no longer able to afford their mortgages.

As for food..... very many are on cheaper cuts anyhow .....

If fresh veg and fruit go up i'm stymied.

Fuck all the stupid stuff....

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

5% inflation is so misleading as it looks so small. If you are a high earner it is just 5%, a mild inconvenience. Maybe you higher energy costs mean one less takeaway a month.

But if you are on a low income it's devastating. When you literally have pence left over at the end of the week after bills an extra 5p on this, 10p on that and double the price of gas is a knock out blow. It literally is a slide into poverty and having to decide what essentials are less essential. Like do I have to eat as long as my child eats.

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

Since the start of the pandemic petrol has increased by over 40% here. Every day essentials have gone up by 15-20% and those are the prices we can see at a glance.

It is the unseen price increases that scare and anger me especially for those on lower incomes. Supermarkets often have offers that seem great but alas they are anything but. They are also guilty of putting 2 different sized, washing pods, kitchen roll etc,items side by side but cost is then given in different volume or weight scales.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"I remember the late 70's early 80's when inflation got over 15% here...... so many homes repossessed. People were no longer able to afford their mortgages.

Fuck all the stupid stuff.... "

I grew up in a house with no central heating. We just wore more clothes and used blankets. My parents buying school shoes was an issue (they were our only pair of shoes). Food was basic and nothing was wasted. I guess we're going to be stepping back in time, which I never thought would happen.

Yorkshire

"I remember the late 70's early 80's when inflation got over 15% here...... so many homes repossessed. People were no longer able to afford their mortgages.

Fuck all the stupid stuff.... "

Some people the cheaper cuts are actually more tasty. Problem is chefs promote them and becomes a fad and prices go up. Sad that fruit and veg are going up not just for the fact that makes them less affordable for people but are essential for health reasons too. As you say, let's hope it does not escalate

King's Crustacean

I grew up in a house with no central heating. We just wore more clothes and used blankets. My parents buying school shoes was an issue (they were our only pair of shoes). Food was basic and nothing was wasted. I guess we're going to be stepping back in time, which I never thought would happen. "

I grew up without central heating too but we had coal fires .... Now everyone has a gas fire and the price will go through the roof.

When we didn't have coal we gathered wood we can't do that anymore.

All zones are smokeless !!

We cannot turn back the times just by not using gas or electricity ..... there is nothing to replace them.

We can't even burn stuff in the back garden.

'Progress' took our autonomy and our agency and has outlawed any other means.

Same with recycling. I don't manufacture or sell but i'm expected to feel guilt for all the packaging and at the very least dispose of it legally.

La la land

I grew up in a house with no central heating. We just wore more clothes and used blankets. My parents buying school shoes was an issue (they were our only pair of shoes). Food was basic and nothing was wasted. I guess we're going to be stepping back in time, which I never thought would happen.

I grew up without central heating too but we had coal fires .... Now everyone has a gas fire and the price will go through the roof.

We cannot turn back the times just by not using gas or electricity ..... there is nothing to replace them.

Same with recycling. I don't manufacture or sell but i'm expected to feel guilt for all the packaging and at the very least dispose of it legally. "

Exactly we had coal fires and burnt god knows what at times. We also grew a lot of veg etc ourselves. most houses don't come with a postage stamp of a garden. Most don't know how to do basic repairs on their clothes, because it's cheaper to buy another in Primark.

What I meant by going back in time, was I didn't think we'd see people living in cold houses as being the norm as it was when I was little.

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

Same with recycling. I don't manufacture or sell but i'm expected to feel guilt for all the packaging and at the very least dispose of it legally. "

Somethings have changed for the better, no frost on the inside of the windows in winter and houses do tend to lose less heat because of insulation etc.

Other things have taken a turn for the worst, packaging as you said but we have been forced to by products with excess plastics and we are made to feel guilty about it.

King's Crustacean

Same with recycling. I don't manufacture or sell but i'm expected to feel guilt for all the packaging and at the very least dispose of it legally.

Exactly we had coal fires and burnt god knows what at times. We also grew a lot of veg etc ourselves. most houses don't come with a postage stamp of a garden. Most don't know how to do basic repairs on their clothes, because it's cheaper to buy another in Primark.

What I meant by going back in time, was I didn't think we'd see people living in cold houses as being the norm as it was when I was little. "

No. I agree with you. I never thought I'd see the day when people in Britain were cold in their own homes.

I don't think things should be free but basics should be affordable.

La la land

What I meant by going back in time, was I didn't think we'd see people living in cold houses as being the norm as it was when I was little.

No. I agree with you. I never thought I'd see the day when people in Britain were cold in their own homes.

I don't think things should be free but basics should be affordable. "

Agreed basics should be affordable at the lowest of wages. Though I would suspect what I think of basic are different to what my parents thought were basic.

King's Crustacean

Everyone's needs fondue dip and caviar right ?

Yorkshire

"Everyone's needs fondue dip and caviar right ?"

A caviar fondue dip Well, the cat might have a fab time, well after it cooled down of course. Most spoilt cat in Cheshire or it Cheshire cat

"I read an article about how the percentage increase of the time cost of the cheapest food is in the hundreds. The overall figure is just lower because tge cost of luxury items hasn't increased very much. So basically the cost of living increases are skewed more towards the poorest end of society. It was a depressing read. "

Jack Monroe did a breakdown on Twitter of this which highlighted the individual cost increases. It was absolutely shocking.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"

Agreed basics should be affordable at the lowest of wages. Though I would suspect what I think of basic are different to what my parents thought were basic. "

The problem with that is that you are then expecting someone else to produce food at what maybe below cost so others can afford to buy it.

I prefer that society steps in to assist the provision of essentials to those who are struggling, either temporarily or long term if that is needed.

The other side of it is everyone should earn sufficient to afford basics. As you say peoples definition of basics may vary.

It is a complex issue with no easy fix, although that should not prevent society from trying.

La la land

"Everyone's needs fondue dip and caviar right ?"

I didn't mean it like that. To my dad basics would be shoe shine kit, with proper polish and brushes. Definitely made the shoes we had last longer. Also his mechanical kit for basic maintenance of his car.

My other half wondered why the hell did I have a box for shoe cleaning. Never been taught how to look after shoes.

Think in the past our basics included things to do basic maintenance so we didn't always have to buy new.

By *hristopherd999Man  over a year ago

Brentwood

Obviously the supermarkets haven't earned enough profit during this pandemic!

La la land

"

Agreed basics should be affordable at the lowest of wages. Though I would suspect what I think of basic are different to what my parents thought were basic.

The problem with that is that you are then expecting someone else to produce food at what maybe below cost so others can afford to buy it.

I prefer that society steps in to assist the provision of essentials to those who are struggling, either temporarily or long term if that is needed.

The other side of it is everyone should earn sufficient to afford basics. As you say peoples definition of basics may vary.

It is a complex issue with no easy fix, although that should not prevent society from trying. "

I definitely think we should be trying to fix these things. I ended up on beta blockers at the age of 16 for Raynaud's phenomenon because the house we lived in was so cold. I wouldn't want anyone to have to have their kids suffer that.

I just sometimes think the state isn't going to help. And that if we can learn some of the skills we've lost we may have a bit more control maybe.

"I read an article about how the percentage increase of the time cost of the cheapest food is in the hundreds. The overall figure is just lower because tge cost of luxury items hasn't increased very much. So basically the cost of living increases are skewed more towards the poorest end of society. It was a depressing read.

Jack Monroe did a breakdown on Twitter of this which highlighted the individual cost increases. It was absolutely shocking. "

Here is one example:

"This time last year, the cheapest pasta in my local supermarket (one of the Big Four), was 29p for 500g. Today it’s 70p. That’s a 141% price increase as it hits the poorest and most vulnerable households."

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

"Scary, isn’t it? I can’t believe the price increases that I’m seeing in the shops."

Only on the lower end products though.

None of the luxury items are going up.

The squeeze will only be felt by the poorest

La la land

The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.

Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms: The Play

"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms: The Play"

I was JUST now reading that Jack Monroe is planning to create a BootsVimesIndex for food essentials. Wow.

La la land

"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms: The Play

I was JUST now reading that Jack Monroe is planning to create a BootsVimesIndex for food essentials. Wow."

What are the chances

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

I grew up in a house with no central heating. We just wore more clothes and used blankets. My parents buying school shoes was an issue (they were our only pair of shoes). Food was basic and nothing was wasted. I guess we're going to be stepping back in time, which I never thought would happen. "

we where the same r dad used to put hes old army coat over r bed

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

"5% inflation is so misleading as it looks so small. If you are a high earner it is just 5%, a mild inconvenience. Maybe you higher energy costs mean one less takeaway a month.

But if you are on a low income it's devastating. When you literally have pence left over at the end of the week after bills an extra 5p on this, 10p on that and double the price of gas is a knock out blow. It literally is a slide into poverty and having to decide what essentials are less essential. Like do I have to eat as long as my child eats."

Sobering and depressing thoughts. As if for some, things weren't already bad enough.

It's just never ending..how do you pull yourself out of it...It is daunting!

BRIDPORT

"

It is a complex issue with no easy fix, although that should not prevent society from trying.

I definitely think we should be trying to fix these things. I ended up on beta blockers at the age of 16 for Raynaud's phenomenon because the house we lived in was so cold. I wouldn't want anyone to have to have their kids suffer that.

I just sometimes think the state isn't going to help. And that if we can learn some of the skills we've lost we may have a bit more control maybe. "

Oh absolutely agree with your last paragraph.

People can definitely learn to help themselves more.

It has been a consequence of the drive to produce ever cheaper goods that people then value things less and do not look out to them, repair them and make them last as long as possible.

I feel the same about food. People don’t value it enough and consequently we have massive amounts of waste.

I don’t know the exact figures but the difference between the amount of food produced and the quantity people actually consume is horrendous.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Jack Monroe did a breakdown on Twitter of this which highlighted the individual cost increases. It was absolutely shocking.

Here is one example:

"This time last year, the cheapest pasta in my local supermarket (one of the Big Four), was 29p for 500g. Today it’s 70p. That’s a 141% price increase as it hits the poorest and most vulnerable households.""

And yet apparently the rpi increase over 12 months for all services is apparently 5.5 %.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/doge/mm23

"Yep. Everything going up except wages. Filling my tank has increased by over £10 in the last year. It’s a joke and don’t even get me started on the gas and electric price increase.

What is surprising is the rpi is only 4 %. From what I've seen it's more like 30 % on meat veg milk bread electric gas petrol et al"

We’re in a fixed price tariff until the end of the month and they’re trying to triple our bills.

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Guess we’re starting that OF account now then!

BRIDPORT

"Yep. Everything going up except wages. Filling my tank has increased by over £10 in the last year. It’s a joke and don’t even get me started on the gas and electric price increase.

What is surprising is the rpi is only 4 %. From what I've seen it's more like 30 % on meat veg milk bread electric gas petrol et al

We’re in a fixed price tariff until the end of the month and they’re trying to triple our bills. "

As of the 25th of jan mine are doubling

Here is one example:

"This time last year, the cheapest pasta in my local supermarket (one of the Big Four), was 29p for 500g. Today it’s 70p. That’s a 141% price increase as it hits the poorest and most vulnerable households."

And yet apparently the rpi increase over 12 months for all services is apparently 5.5 %.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/doge/mm23

"

I think you've missed the point. When you dig down into the data - the increase on essential items like pasta is much much more than 5.5%.

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

It's ridiculous, it feels like every time you go shopping the prices have gone up. You can't even do a list and budget they change that often

What I've really noticed, having pets, is that it's nearly a fiver for a box of cat food now! Mine are going to have to catch their own dinner soon

"It's ridiculous, it feels like every time you go shopping the prices have gone up. You can't even do a list and budget they change that often

What I've really noticed, having pets, is that it's nearly a fiver for a box of cat food now! Mine are going to have to catch their own dinner soon "

I buy dog food and have definitely noticed the increase. But the four teens definitely cost me more!!

La la land

"

I just sometimes think the state isn't going to help. And that if we can learn some of the skills we've lost we may have a bit more control maybe.

Oh absolutely agree with your last paragraph.

People can definitely learn to help themselves more.

It has been a consequence of the drive to produce ever cheaper goods that people then value things less and do not look out to them, repair them and make them last as long as possible.

I feel the same about food. People don’t value it enough and consequently we have massive amounts of waste.

I don’t know the exact figures but the difference between the amount of food produced and the quantity people actually consume is horrendous. "

Think the drive for cheaper things so having new is kind of normal, even if the new isn't of high quality.

The amount of food waste is mental. It's neither good for the environment nor our pockets.

Today i added up my Standing charges for duel energy from OVO and WHF ( £177.40 ) to have there meters in my house WHF.

Even looked at Pay As U Go with other Companys and Average 25p day. Not a Happy Chappy . Wish i win Lottery

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Here is one example:

"This time last year, the cheapest pasta in my local supermarket (one of the Big Four), was 29p for 500g. Today it’s 70p. That’s a 141% price increase as it hits the poorest and most vulnerable households.""

I read that article. I liked that they mentioned the huge reduction in value ranges, forcing people to up-brand.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but they mentioned Asda Smart Price going from 400-odd lines to 80-odd.

It doesn't show as inflation in the RPI/CPI, as it's not a like-for-like comparison (they're different brands), but if the value brand isn't available what choice do you have?

Thank fooked we are using a Forum for not just a *hag . We are using it to Comm .

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Unless it’s Harry Potter."

I prefer Spike Milligan or Terry Pratchett.

ALL i can say . I put to the Lounge because in a Forum u get a good Respone but other look at like in my eyes ( great Essex Band ) clue mode

» Add a new message to this topic