FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Artists

Artists

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Why is this term so loosely coined nowadays?

It seems anyone can be an artist nowadays, even a squiggle can be sold for millions as long as you “explain” what it was you are trying to achieve etc.

I think the art world really has lost it over time.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

I challenged a so called artist. We went for a draw..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If anyone can do it why doesn't everyone?

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"If anyone can do it why doesn't everyone?"

For example…….

There was a little skill in flicking fluid paint all over a canvas and charging thousands for said canvas. Which is inevitably what some artists do. Jackson pollock paintings sell for thousands and he just flicked black and white paint at a canvas he has done some colourful works though.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

It is worth what someone is willing to pay.

By *aliceWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

There has never been a defined standard of technical proficiency, or parameters for what does and does not constitute art. It's always been entirely subjective.

And, incidentally, many of those who are now considered 'great' artists from history were unappreciated paupers in their lifetime.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Art for Art's Sake - 10cc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGB59HuKu-I

"If anyone can do it why doesn't everyone?

For example…….

There was a little skill in flicking fluid paint all over a canvas and charging thousands for said canvas. Which is inevitably what some artists do. Jackson pollock paintings sell for thousands and he just flicked black and white paint at a canvas he has done some colourful works though."

I like his stuff.

I don't think skill always = appreciation/recognition/success. That's just a reflection of how society is. People invest in all sorts of crap for all sorts of reasons.

There are some amazingly skilled artists that can paint photo-realistic stuff but I never see the point of creating what can be done with a photo. Personally I find the abstract stuff more interesting.

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

The thing with art is that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, some people have so much money they don't know what to spend it on so they are willing to pay a lot of money for pretty much anything as long as it's one of a kind

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

There's some prehistoric cave art that is hand prints. Some people painted their hands and pressed them on a cave wall. I don't think time has much to do with it

"The thing with art is that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, some people have so much money they don't know what to spend it on so they are willing to pay a lot of money for pretty much anything as long as it's one of a kind "

Exactly, and at the end of the 'Art is subjective'. I like renaissance art but I'm not a fan of some modern art.

Fun fact, Madonna has been praising art by 'Rhed' which has been featured in the London gallery.... The artist is actually her son..

By *egan_CDTV/TS  over a year ago

In the closet

"Why is this term so loosely coined nowadays?

It seems anyone can be an artist nowadays, even a squiggle can be sold for millions as long as you “explain” what it was you are trying to achieve etc.

I think the art world really has lost it over time. "

If it’s that easy learn to explain better and make your fortune.

It takes days to make what I would call one of my pieces of art, they are so intricate, time consuming and pretty however i'm lucky if anyone wants to buy my stuff anymore, and then as you said theres stupidly rich people out there that pay thousands for crappy unimaginate crap I juat don't get it.

Was it Tracy Emin and the messy bedroom 'art' that was controversial? Hahha.

I could try selling photos of my messy bedroom and see how much I make

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"There's some prehistoric cave art that is hand prints. Some people painted their hands and pressed them on a cave wall. I don't think time has much to do with it"

That was the precursor of the fingerprint recognition system

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

"The thing with art is that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, some people have so much money they don't know what to spend it on so they are willing to pay a lot of money for pretty much anything as long as it's one of a kind "

this!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"There's some prehistoric cave art that is hand prints. Some people painted their hands and pressed them on a cave wall. I don't think time has much to do with it

That was the precursor of the fingerprint recognition system "

They knew a thing or two those prehistoric people

» Add a new message to this topic