FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How much would you pay for the BBC?

How much would you pay for the BBC?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It would seem that the days of the BBC in its current format are coming to an end. Currently, it costs about £13 per month and a lot of people feel that it's good value, but there are also a lot of people, including many of those on the breadline, for whom £13 is money they just don't want to spend on a tv company, no matter how good the quality of material they produce. My question is, if the BBC was a subscription-only service, how much would real fans of the corporation be willing to pay for it per month. £15? £20? more? Personally, I wouldn't subscribe at all. I don't watch much tv and I prefer my local independent radio station. But how much is it worth to you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

About 8”…. Oh that bbc?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I sometimes use the radio and the website. I wouldn't pay to use either.

I heard some BBC person moaning about how unfair it is for them to potentially have to compete with Netflix and yet it seems to me that with the huge amount of resources available to the BBC they can only blame themselves for not keeping up with the times.

I pay for Netflix. I pay for Disney, Spotify, Prime and probably other things I don't remember. The BBC would have to offer something worthwhile for me to pay for it.

nothing ...why should people pay for something they dont use we dont listen to radio unless its a internet show that friends are dj'ing and dont go anywhere near bbc one if tv is on its either a sky channel or netflix...

overpaid bunch too

That's 3 no-payers so far, is anyone willing to pay for it if they had the choice?

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

The BBC has already changed (or were going to), their I-Player look so that it was like a Netflix copy. Just don't see what they have to offer.

So, it looks like they are going in that direction then?

Would Netflix buy them out? Amazon? Fox? Chinese TV or Japanese? I bet the American networks can't wait to drop their trousers and acquire "Aunty Beeb."

I don't watch that much BBC. Three is online. Four does have some good documentary's but I'm not sure that would be enough for me to watch it...

Local news & weather & the odd documentary & sport (if it's on & good enough), then?

BBC is a dead syphilitic dinosaur & just hasn't adopted & adapted to the modern climes afraid. Sad, very sad!

The only gripe would be for older people not so good with technology & poorer families. Would they be hit worst. Some people need company of sorts if you could say the BBC is that?

Young people watch YouTube & social media. So I think they are missing this market out massively...

If subscription then £8/9 month?

I would have to give it a serious big think though....

By *ondoner27Man  over a year ago

london

I wouldn’t pay a penny for it and I resent that I don’t have a choice

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

Nothing.

I don't make use of any of their services.

Saying that, I should probably cancel my TV licence.

"Nothing.

I don't make use of any of their services.

Saying that, I should probably cancel my TV licence."

Same here it’s a load of rubbish I don’t watch

Paying for BBC is against FAB’s rules.

Wait, I didn’t read the rest…

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

I would pay for access to BBC content.

Some of the best programming over the Christmas period was on BBC2 and BBC4.

I haven't paid for a licence for years as I don't watch live TV and have no aerial.

It got to the point where there were so many repeats of things that were on days before it was a joke.

Strictly internet TV these days which the licence fee almost covers.

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman  over a year ago

Markfield

I’ve already opted out of the tv tax as I really only watch streaming and catch-up so I just miss out on live broadcast and iPlayer, no biggie altho I accept there are some great progs broadcast on bbc. If line of duty comes back I’ll phone a friend x

I don’t and wouldn’t pay. I don’t feel they offer anything particularly unique for the charge.

I haven’t missed the bbc in the 6+ years I stopped watching. 5+ years I’ve e not paid for a service completely unused by us.

I like the BBC and am happy to pay for it - however I do recognise that the funding model dosnt work for everyone.

Its easy to moan about the BBC but it does produce some high quality programming and seems to be highly regarded around the world. Sometimes we take things for granted and forget how good they are.

By *imi_RougeWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Fuck all.

I'd just watch anything else that was free

By *exycouple.xCouple  over a year ago

leeds

Definitely would not pay for it , the only time they get near the truth is the weather !!

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I don't watch much TV but I am OK paying for the licence and not have the constant ads as on all other channels as long as its kept at a reasonable cost. If introducing ads will help to keep it, so be it. I do think that some of the programmes made by the BBC are uniquely different and would be ashamed to see it go. Of course it needs to adapt and change in many aspects of its service and way it is structured and operates, but I won't be keen to see it disappear personally

"The BBC has already changed (or were going to), their I-Player look so that it was like a Netflix copy. Just don't see what they have to offer.

Would Netflix buy them out? Amazon? Fox? Chinese TV or Japanese? I bet the American networks can't wait to drop their trousers and acquire "Aunty Beeb."

I don't watch that much BBC. Three is online. Four does have some good documentary's but I'm not sure that would be enough for me to watch it...

Local news & weather & the odd documentary & sport (if it's on & good enough), then?

BBC is a dead syphilitic dinosaur & just hasn't adopted & adapted to the modern climes afraid. Sad, very sad!

The only gripe would be for older people not so good with technology & poorer families. Would they be hit worst. Some people need company of sorts if you could say the BBC is that?

Young people watch YouTube & social media. So I think they are missing this market out massively...

I would have to give it a serious big think though.... "

Fair points, but I can't see the BBC dropping their price. In 2020 they paid Gary Lineker £1.75 million, which is over 11000 licence fees - that's about the entire licence fee paying population of a medium sized UK town.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

I've never had a TV licence and never will, I'm not interested in any of the programmes they offer.

K

By *mg 321Man  over a year ago

Blackpool

Yes it might ‘only’ cost 43p per day. But when I didn’t ask for it, don’t want it and don’t need it, why should I have to pay for it?

I don’t see sainsburys delivering a load of shopping that I didn’t order and don’t want, and then demanding money with menaces.. how is this any different for the BBC?

"I don't watch much TV but I am OK paying for the licence and not have the constant ads as on all other channels as long as its kept at a reasonable cost. If introducing ads will help to keep it, so be it. I do think that some of the programmes made by the BBC are uniquely different and would be ashamed to see it go. Of course it needs to adapt and change in many aspects of its service and way it is structured and operates, but I won't be keen to see it disappear personally "

But how much are you willing to pay for these "uniquely different" programmes?

Yorkshire

"I don't watch much TV but I am OK paying for the licence and not have the constant ads as on all other channels as long as its kept at a reasonable cost. If introducing ads will help to keep it, so be it. I do think that some of the programmes made by the BBC are uniquely different and would be ashamed to see it go. Of course it needs to adapt and change in many aspects of its service and way it is structured and operates, but I won't be keen to see it disappear personally

But how much are you willing to pay for these "uniquely different" programmes?"

£13.80

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"I wouldn’t pay a penny for it and I resent that I don’t have a choice"

You do have a choice, you can go onto the website and declare that you don't need a licence and that lasts 2 years. Or you can stop paying, wait for someone to show up and tell them you don't need it and refuse them entry, they go away quickly enough.

P

I think part of the BBCs problem has been its supposed to cater for everyone. Dont know if its part of the license remits. Bit that means it become a Jack of all trades, master of none.

While other companies can focus on a certain type of clientele. I don't know if i would pay for it, undecided. Suppose it would come down to the price. I wouldn't pay more than I do currently for Netflix or Amazon prime.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'd pay for BBC but no more than we already pay. I love radio 4 and I don't think there's another radio station that's similar... even if there is I couldn't bear the adverts.

By *ed VoluptaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral.

It boils my piss that I have to pay over £13 a month for something I don't use.

About time it was abolished - even if raising the issue is only to detract from the current shit show the government are in the midst of.

By *xfordshireCoupleMFCouple  over a year ago

Nr. Oxford

We don’t.

We cancelled our TV license about 3 years ago when we realised all we were watching was Top Gear and the fireworks at New Year.

The rest of the time we watch, Netflix, Prime, Disney, or play games. You don’t need a license for any of those.

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

"The BBC has already changed (or were going to), their I-Player look so that it was like a Netflix copy. Just don't see what they have to offer.

Fair points, but I can't see the BBC dropping their price. In 2020 they paid Gary Lineker £1.75 million, which is over 11000 licence fees - that's about the entire licence fee paying population of a medium sized UK town. "

That's dead easy! The 1st thing they should have done was sack Gary "goal hanging bastard weasel face" yonks ago. You've nearly saved £2mill there....

Get Gabby Logan or Alex Scott in cheaper & better! Better looking than old FA cup ears don't ya think?

It's not just watching BBC channels you need a licence for. In fact, that's a small part of it;

"The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record TV on ANY channel

watch TV live on ANY streaming service (e.g. ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go)

watch BBC iPlayer*.

On any TV service. On ANY device"

It's the biggest scam out there.

Check if you actually need one here. You probably will because that's how scams work.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

Using the supermarket analogy from above, it's like paying Sainsbury's money to enable them to provide a service because you shop at Asda.

Fair points, but I can't see the BBC dropping their price. In 2020 they paid Gary Lineker £1.75 million, which is over 11000 licence fees - that's about the entire licence fee paying population of a medium sized UK town.

That's dead easy! The 1st thing they should have done was sack Gary "goal hanging bastard weasel face" yonks ago. You've nearly saved £2mill there....

Get Gabby Logan or Alex Scott in cheaper & better! Better looking than old FA cup ears don't ya think? "

I'm not a football fan, but does a presenter need to be visually appealing to make it more interesting? I would have thought that somebody knowledgeable (and cheap!) would suffice?

By *rPeachyMan  over a year ago

Bristol

£0

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"It's not just watching BBC channels you need a licence for. In fact, that's a small part of it;

"The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

watch or record TV on ANY channel

watch TV live on ANY streaming service (e.g. ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go)

watch BBC iPlayer*.

On any TV service. On ANY device"

It's the biggest scam out there.

Check if you actually need one here. You probably will because that's how scams work.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

Using the supermarket analogy from above, it's like paying Sainsbury's money to enable them to provide a service because you shop at Asda."

The key word in all of that is LIVE. How many shows on streaming services do you watch LIVE? iPlayer excluded 99% of these streaming services are prerecorded and don't require a licence. Its very sneaky the way they word it

P

I use the BBC for radio more than anything, sometimes the iPlayer and BBC sounds for radio shows that I missed. There is a lot of content and their educational stuff is good to, which for some would be useful.

I do think that if you don’t use it then you shouldn’t have to pay for it but the best way to fund it is to stop paying such high salaries to some of the presenters.

If Walkers Crisps man was paid 1.75 million from an organisation that’s funded by public money, then there’s something wrong. How can anyone be worth that much and who needs that sort of money and how can the BBC justify that given its funding structure.

People who compare the BBC to Netflix especially the cost are not making a fair comparison. Netflix does one thing, and OK, that one thing might be the thing most people spend most time doing, watching entertainment, they don’t do any number of other things that the BBC does. The BBC is a public service. Over the pandemic it put together the single largest free education program anywhere in the world. It provides global news, local news live 24/7, as a kid it taught me how to use a computer with BBC Micros, it’s news and sport websites are easily my most visited internet places, it shows as much national sport as it can for free, without ad breaks (look at how amazing the 2012 Olympic broadcasting was and how shit last year when Discovery got it). It provides radio stations that I listen to every day, podcasts, revision materials for students, help and advice on everything g from mental health to how to get into roller derby, it’s fucking awesome to me.

But you might just watch Eastenders and nothing else. That’s cool. I only use about 6 roads most weeks, but don’t begrudge people in Wales getting a resurface…

I'd run with a British Arts and Information Contribution. £13.00 per month for those on low income (over 12k), £20.00 for those above a certain threshold (50k), and £30.00 on high income (150k).Collect via HMRC.

Have one linear channel playing original content. So scrap BBC Two, BBC Four, CBeebies, CBBC. Move all original content on those channels to BBC One, on which there would be as few repeats as possible. iPlayer for everything else.

Slow down on the imports and movies. Leave that to the commercial rivals.

By *andR510Couple  over a year ago

St Neots/Wisbech

Haven't paid the licence fee for nearly 6 years now.

That's how much I value the BBC.

Anyone complaining about salary costs needs to go ask Clarkson if he took a pay but to take Top Gear to Amazon. It might be a lot of money for Lineker, but you think he’ll be paid less when the been have to sell the MOTD franchise to a private company?

By *ottom charlieMan  over a year ago

washington

"It would seem that the days of the BBC in its current format are coming to an end. Currently, it costs about £13 per month and a lot of people feel that it's good value, but there are also a lot of people, including many of those on the breadline, for whom £13 is money they just don't want to spend on a tv company, no matter how good the quality of material they produce. My question is, if the BBC was a subscription-only service, how much would real fans of the corporation be willing to pay for it per month. £15? £20? more? Personally, I wouldn't subscribe at all. I don't watch much tv and I prefer my local independent radio station. But how much is it worth to you?"
if i had to use a meter to pay per month for the bbc programmes i watch i think they would get about £4 per month over xmas the programmes were absolute trash the only 2 things i enjoyed were both episodes of worsel gummage.. i hate soaps, reality, cooking, murder programmes they have all been done to death plus too many over rated actors ex politicians ex footballers makes a huge wage for drivel cut the costs of their wages rather than keep increasing the licence fee

Zero…. I don’t use BBC products or watch live tv so I opted out of the licence fee!

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I don't watch much TV but I do listen to BBC radio a lot. I could take a free ride because listening to the radio doesn't require a licence. If I did watch telly, the BBC is one of the services I would pay for. I'd pay at least the equivalent of a licence fee.

It would make sense to me for them to offer a subscription service for those living overseas. Luke

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

The BBC is faced with a 'perfect storm' of issues viz. 1) Scheduled TV is dying 2) It tries not to offend anybody 3) Lack of ideas - it's all been done before 4) Perceptions of political bias (both ways) 5) Most major sport gone elsewhere. It might survive in some form on News and Documentaries, but I doubt a mandatory licence fee can be justified much longer.

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Op, Gabbys dad is terry Yorath.

Alex Scott is an ex- pro footballer.

Just stating a more alternative preference that is cheaper (tv licence wise), than to the male expense of G.L.

Personally, I think they are better diversity than him. But I could be biased....

By *topthepressMan  over a year ago

MANCHESTER

Wife gets BBC for free when she fancies it

By *inkyeroticaCouple  over a year ago

Ampthill

I’m a supporter of the BBC and would pay.

The BBC in general produces fantastic programs. As an example, think of all the David Attenborough documentaries. It also covers areas and audiences that wouldn’t be viable for commercial operations. And all without advertising! Then you’ve got ad free radio, websites, educational support, etc. Oh, and a portion of the license fee goes to C4!

Ultimately, the market will decide the price, but I’d expect it to be about the same as a monthly license fee. I’d be comfortable with that, if it’s ad free. People pay significantly more than that for Sky packages.

Yorkshire

"People who compare the BBC to Netflix especially the cost are not making a fair comparison. Netflix does one thing, and OK, that one thing might be the thing most people spend most time doing, watching entertainment, they don’t do any number of other things that the BBC does. The BBC is a public service. Over the pandemic it put together the single largest free education program anywhere in the world. It provides global news, local news live 24/7, as a kid it taught me how to use a computer with BBC Micros, it’s news and sport websites are easily my most visited internet places, it shows as much national sport as it can for free, without ad breaks (look at how amazing the 2012 Olympic broadcasting was and how shit last year when Discovery got it). It provides radio stations that I listen to every day, podcasts, revision materials for students, help and advice on everything g from mental health to how to get into roller derby, it’s fucking awesome to me.

But you might just watch Eastenders and nothing else. That’s cool. I only use about 6 roads most weeks, but don’t begrudge people in Wales getting a resurface…"

I have to say that is roughly what I think too and that's why I mentioned before that although it does need to have a bit of a look within and and make some changes, I will be a shame to see it become much like orher commercial broadcasting enterprises.

By *ickshawedCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I'd happily keep paying for the BBC.

I don't watch much but my kids can live on Cbeebies. The children's programs there are brilliant - so much better than the crap they show on other channels.

They provided education during home schooling. They provide a very good news source. A good choice of radio programs. Very interesting documentaries. The weather service.

I never watch sport or soaps or the big entertainment shows but I don't begrudge the fact that I contribute to things I will never watch.

The government are just being typical bloody Tories and privatising as much as they can by starving it of funds and ruining it. Just trying to distract us from the shit show useless buggers they are.

Opened this expecting it to be about something else. Pretty disapointed tbh

By *bostCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

With working from home we have BBC Radio on all day. At night we use the channels and iPlayer along with Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV. We’d be happy to pay the current licence fee as a subscription.

The BBC has some of the most inclusive and educational children’s programming going. Their news output is extraordinary and some of the dramas they produce are amazing. M plus their is Match of the Day for Mr.

"With working from home we have BBC Radio on all day. At night we use the channels and iPlayer along with Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Apple TV. We’d be happy to pay the current licence fee as a subscription.

The BBC has some of the most inclusive and educational children’s programming going. Their news output is extraordinary and some of the dramas they produce are amazing. M plus their is Match of the Day for Mr. "

If the cost increased to get the same quality, how much would you pay?

By *bostCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Not sure. There is a lot of output that we don’t use. I wonder if it may become a tiered subscription along the like of Sky.

We’d pay for BBC 1 and 2. IPlayer. BBC Radio.

» Add a new message to this topic