FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What side of the road should you walk on, on a hard turn??

What side of the road should you walk on, on a hard turn??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

There is this hard left turn on a road that I walk on, where you cant see the road ahead. I know that you should meet the traffic, but it does feel safer to go on the other side as it could give you more of a chance to see the cars as they would cut to hard on the turn on their end, so they couldnt see you as good, what side would you walk on?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Agree with you, Shag. I always walk on the right hand side unless there are blind corners, then I cross, like you, so oncoming traffic can see me.

Mrs TMN x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Always walk facing the oncoming traffic unless you can't be seen.

The aim is not to die or cause anybody else to

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Walkings for scrubs.

I am borne aloft in a litter, as befits my status!

By *TK421-Man  over a year ago

Cheltenham

When I run its towards oncoming traffic unless there is a known sharp corner. Then you cross when safe.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr southend

Yup as others have said on tight turns always walk on the outside of the turn as it give the best chance of you being seen

From the Highway Code

If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and

be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light

keep close to the side of the road.

It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

Mr

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

What is "walking"?

"Agree with you, Shag. I always walk on the right hand side unless there are blind corners, then I cross, like you, so oncoming traffic can see me.

Mrs TMN x"

That is good and yes, that seems to be the best way to do as well x

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Walk on the right , especially on a hard left. I think you mean a hard right ? I’d cross over then and walk on the left

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

In the situation described by the OP you should be wherever allows you and oncoming traffic the best view of each other.

"Always walk facing the oncoming traffic unless you can't be seen.

The aim is not to die or cause anybody else to "

Yes, that is also right

"When I run its towards oncoming traffic unless there is a known sharp corner. Then you cross when safe.

"

That is also good .

"Yup as others have said on tight turns always walk on the outside of the turn as it give the best chance of you being seen"
Yes. I thought so as well

On a typical country lane I always change sides to allow the best visibility of me and the driver.

By *rad670Man  over a year ago

South Lakes

Highway code and common sense says facing the traffic unless a blind bend where you can't see the traffic coming, BUT that has its own hazards with having to cross the road continuously, I live down tight country roads and often have to dead stop due to bad practice, saying that I would not walk down the lanes myself because.of bad drivers. They are just hazardous roads.

I'm gonna come and give you a lift Shag.

"I'm gonna come and give you a lift Shag. "
Ty and yes. I would like that too

[Removed by poster at 17/01/22 21:17:13]

"From the Highway Code

If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and

be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light

keep close to the side of the road.

It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

Mr"

That is good and yes, keeping close to the side of the road is important too

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

Poole

On our "farm road" any f-ing side you like. But perferably 3 abreast down the middle with a dog and 3 kids on bikes in tow. Then stop and stare with evil eyes at a car that dares drive through.

During lockdown, it was quicker to drive the main road, than this farm road.

By *uckslut and MCouple  over a year ago

Poole

Oh, forgot to add- if walking alone wear all black head to toe, wearing headphones, as so not to hear any traffic and walk on the left. Stopping oppisit any manhole cover size pot holes, so cars have to drive through them.

"On our "farm road" any f-ing side you like. But perferably 3 abreast down the middle with a dog and 3 kids on bikes in tow. Then stop and stare with evil eyes at a car that dares drive through.

During lockdown, it was quicker to drive the main road, than this farm road. "

Does make me laugh how many people in cars behave as though the road belongs to them.

It was great to see people walking and cycling on roads during lockdown. I was hoping it might have continued.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

"Does make me laugh how many people in cars behave as though the road belongs to them."

If it’s a “farm road” then perhaps it might.

But, yes, I enjoyed lockdown immensely and it frustrates me that there is an economic push back to unnecessary journeys instead of adapting.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

"On our "farm road" any f-ing side you like. But perferably 3 abreast down the middle with a dog and 3 kids on bikes in tow. Then stop and stare with evil eyes at a car that dares drive through.

During lockdown, it was quicker to drive the main road, than this farm road.

Does make me laugh how many people in cars behave as though the road belongs to them.

It was great to see people walking and cycling on roads during lockdown. I was hoping it might have continued."

Agreed! I have continued but then I cant drive have cycled my whole life since childhood more or less everyday reason I have tight bum cheeks and not so bad legs at my age lol x

By *ecretlivesCouple  over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Pedestrians always have right of way. Don't die trying to prove the point.

Ok back in the real world. Pavement or decent verge first, then face oncoming traffic and always go to the outside of a curve (left or right). Treat hills and humpback bridges as curves. When to transition is the tough choice - early enough that you can see and cross safely in advance of next hazard, though short sharp hills and humpback bridges it can be just on or after the apex.

Ultimately it is about giving the first car direction to potentially hit you as much time to see you and you to see them. If in doubt choose the route that gives *you* as much time to see them as possible, use your ears as much as your eyes and always be prepared to jump in a ditch.

I ride horses on roads and that is always in the direction of traffic so I am always alarmed when I see pedestrians walking into to oncoming traffic, I didnt know that is what the highway code said, it makes me nervous. In a situation I couldnt see the road ahead I would move over to the other side to give me more view and be more visible, but it would still be nerve wracking.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

Where there isn't a pavement, walk on whatever side gives you the best view of the road ahead... If you can see them, they can see you... If they aren't trying to tune their radio, send a text, post on Facebook....

"Where there isn't a pavement, walk on whatever side gives you the best view of the road ahead... If you can see them, they can see you... If they aren't trying to tune their radio, send a text, post on Facebook...."

You can't see them if they're behind you.

FABWatch HQ

"I ride horses on roads and that is always in the direction of traffic so I am always alarmed when I see pedestrians walking into to oncoming traffic, I didnt know that is what the highway code said, it makes me nervous. In a situation I couldnt see the road ahead I would move over to the other side to give me more view and be more visible, but it would still be nerve wracking. "

Horses are another challenge to pedestrians - dependent on rider (and tendency for horses to see scary things in manhole covers, plastic bags etc). I tend to step aside and let horse go past me rather than vice versa.

Unfortunately for you when you ride your horse you are classed as a *non-powered vehicle* so you should behave like a car not change sides, use pavements etc. There are also specific rules under highway code for horse riding - including lights in darkness. Some rules are not laws, but any incident where you fail to follow a rule puts you at fault. "MUST NOT ride on the pavement" is supported by a law and can get you arrested.

"There is this hard left turn on a road that I walk on, where you cant see the road ahead. I know that you should meet the traffic, but it does feel safer to go on the other side as it could give you more of a chance to see the cars as they would cut to hard on the turn on their end, so they couldnt see you as good, what side would you walk on? "

Depends on your politics, you maybe a middle of the road guy, or a swinger..lol

A more interesting question is what side of the road should be " what side off the road, should you walk with a hard on ".

Which I originally thought was the title.

"I ride horses on roads and that is always in the direction of traffic so I am always alarmed when I see pedestrians walking into to oncoming traffic, I didnt know that is what the highway code said, it makes me nervous. In a situation I couldnt see the road ahead I would move over to the other side to give me more view and be more visible, but it would still be nerve wracking.

Horses are another challenge to pedestrians - dependent on rider (and tendency for horses to see scary things in manhole covers, plastic bags etc). I tend to step aside and let horse go past me rather than vice versa.

Unfortunately for you when you ride your horse you are classed as a *non-powered vehicle* so you should behave like a car not change sides, use pavements etc. There are also specific rules under highway code for horse riding - including lights in darkness. Some rules are not laws, but any incident where you fail to follow a rule puts you at fault. "MUST NOT ride on the pavement" is supported by a law and can get you arrested."

Not sure I could class a horse as a non powered anything. They have those big bottoms for a reason, Power

"I ride horses on roads and that is always in the direction of traffic so I am always alarmed when I see pedestrians walking into to oncoming traffic, I didnt know that is what the highway code said, it makes me nervous. In a situation I couldnt see the road ahead I would move over to the other side to give me more view and be more visible, but it would still be nerve wracking.

Unfortunately for you when you ride your horse you are classed as a *non-powered vehicle* so you should behave like a car not change sides, use pavements etc. There are also specific rules under highway code for horse riding - including lights in darkness. Some rules are not laws, but any incident where you fail to follow a rule puts you at fault. "MUST NOT ride on the pavement" is supported by a law and can get you arrested.

Not sure I could class a horse as a non powered anything. They have those big bottoms for a reason, Power "

Yes but for such big bottoms, 1 horse power is a poor return.

FABWatch HQ

Not sure I could class a horse as a non powered anything. They have those big bottoms for a reason, Power

Yes but for such big bottoms, 1 horse power is a poor return. "

True, but that's because they produce so much wind power we don't want!

"I ride horses on roads and that is always in the direction of traffic so I am always alarmed when I see pedestrians walking into to oncoming traffic, I didnt know that is what the highway code said, it makes me nervous. In a situation I couldnt see the road ahead I would move over to the other side to give me more view and be more visible, but it would still be nerve wracking. "
Yes, it is abit nerve wracking too, it must be fun to ride horses too

» Add a new message to this topic