FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Non Binary Friend

Non Binary Friend

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So , a friend of mine recently came out to me saying he doesn’t feel neither of the binary genders, and wanted to change his pronouns to hi/viz

Which baffled me A LOT. Because it totally makes no sense and I’m not sure how to use these really…

I’m trying my hardest to understand and obviously respect his request, but it’s really difficult… to get used to made up pronouns like that…

It’s not like we are used to pronouns like Ze/Shim/Tree/Bunny or in this case Hi

And I being a bad friend to him… or let me rephrase .. VIZ???!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Like a hi-viz jacket?? You sure he's not having you on?

I can’t tell if this is a joke or not…

By *parrow77Man  over a year ago

cheshire

No your not bad friend it is hard recently people deciding to change and more things coming up.

Not heard of viz yet least you’re trying and still there as friend

"Like a hi-viz jacket?? You sure he's not having you on? "

It’s this .. ^

Like someone saying their pronouns are kit / kat

"Like a hi-viz jacket?? You sure he's not having you on?

It’s this .. ^

Like someone saying their pronouns are kit / kat "

Exactly! Like swapping the she and he to those is quite a process mentally… and I’m kinda afraid of getting it wrong as well

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It can be a little daunting breaking habits but when your heart is in the right place, you'll be fine. Share the love

Hi/Viz?

They just want to be seen

"Hi/Viz?

They just want to be seen "

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

This was my first thought too.

Grantham

"I’m kinda afraid of getting it wrong as well "

If a true friend suddenly says they want to be known as Hi/Viz then they should seriously expect the odd slip-up.

If they freak at a mistake, they are not a friend but a pronoun drama fool

In my opinion

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

"Like a hi-viz jacket?? You sure he's not having you on?

It’s this .. ^

Like someone saying their pronouns are kit / kat

Exactly! Like swapping the she and he to those is quite a process mentally… and I’m kinda afraid of getting it wrong as well "

If it is an honest mistake and you are trying, I think it is jerky on their part to get upset.

By *LheadMan  over a year ago

Chester

"So , a friend of mine recently came out to me saying he doesn’t feel neither of the binary genders, and wanted to change his pronouns to hi/viz

Which baffled me A LOT. Because it totally makes no sense and I’m not sure how to use these really…

I’m trying my hardest to understand and obviously respect his request, but it’s really difficult… to get used to made up pronouns like that…

It’s not like we are used to pronouns like Ze/Shim/Tree/Bunny or in this case Hi

And I being a bad friend to him… or let me rephrase .. VIZ???!"

Nothing but attention seeking bullshit.

Two biological genders, fact!

At the heart of all of this nonsense is the desperate need to "Feel" different for the sole purpose of illiciting a reaction (aka attention) from others in a futile attempt to fill the bottomless void in their lives perpetuated by the cancer which is Social Media.

I really don't give a shit what they want to call themselves just don't drag me into your mental self loathing.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

Don't sweat over. If they are a good freind they'll know you are their freind first and foremost and know that if you don't get it right in their eyes your not doing it deliberately. It's hard for a society that is not used to such niche terminologies and identification to adjust over night from a society that has failed to acknowledge in the past. As long as your freind knows you respect them and are trying for them that should be enough. Empathy is a two way street.

"So , a friend of mine recently came out to me saying he doesn’t feel neither of the binary genders, and wanted to change his pronouns to hi/viz

At the heart of all of this nonsense is the desperate need to "Feel" different for the sole purpose of illiciting a reaction (aka attention) from others in a futile attempt to fill the bottomless void in their lives perpetuated by the cancer which is Social Media.

I really don't give a shit what they want to call themselves just don't drag me into your mental self loathing. "

I think Douglas Murray summed it up well in an interview I saw a while ago..."I identify as 'look-at-me'"

Having said that, it's your mate so entirely up to you to play along or not. They're behaving like an entitled brat though if they take the huff if you make a genuine mistake when trying to remember to use made up words.

I really don't give a shit what they want to call themselves just don't drag me into your mental self loathing. "

I mean there seem to be quite a rise of non-binary who seem to create new pronouns, don’t even know how and why?

Like, I remember this actor who’s now asking to change his pronouns to tree / tree self because … we come from trees …

By *LheadMan  over a year ago

Chester

".

I think Douglas Murray summed it up well in an interview I saw a while ago..."I identify as 'look-at-me'"

Having said that, it's your mate so entirely up to you to play along or not. They're behaving like an entitled brat though if they take the huff if you make a genuine mistake when trying to remember to use made up words."

EXACTLY!

It's complete nosense, has nothing to do with "Societies fillings" and everything to do with the desperate need to be different.

If you don't feel neither male or female great thats up to you, it doesn't follow there should be 45 millions ways to describe that as a "pro noun" then expect the majority who don't feel the same way to conform to that.

Oh, God help anyone who gets it wrong Ffs!

Bullshit.

"Hi/Viz?

They just want to be seen "

this made me giggle as….

Grantham

"I mean there seem to be quite a rise of non-binary who seem to create new pronouns, don’t even know how and why"

They think it is trendy.

"I mean there seem to be quite a rise of non-binary who seem to create new pronouns, don’t even know how and why

They think it is trendy."

I think some are jumping on the band wagon, because it’s “edgy”, especially seem to be the case among youngsters.

Like back in my day, there used to be Emos but anyway. That’s another story

By *andyh78Man  over a year ago

manchester

"I’m kinda afraid of getting it wrong as well

If a true friend suddenly says they want to be known as Hi/Viz then they should seriously expect the odd slip-up.

If they freak at a mistake, they are not a friend but a pronoun drama fool

In my opinion "

“Pronoun drama fool”, love it, I will be using that.

In my politically incorrect opinion some people have to much time on their hands to sit and worry about what they are. I must admit that at times I have had doubts about my sexuality, state of mind, path that life is taking, identity etc but I have never had enough time go to deeply into it. I certainly won’t be spending any time worrying about my pronoun.

Grantham

I have friends with teenagers and they all have to have several 'labels'.

Whether it be 'social anxiety' or painful shyness as it was known, or some form of non m/f gender.

I had to ask the 'pansexual' one what it meant. It resonated with me as I wasn't interested in anything sexual until I was a proper adult

By *andyh78Man  over a year ago

manchester

I thought that asexual was not being interested in sexual activity and pansexual was something else.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Are you absolutely sure it's not a joke?

I have no problem with non binary, there's someone at work who is non binary and requested pronouns they/them.

In my opinion choosing random words as pronouns is just silly, and it's unreasonable to expect anyone to remember. I also think this sort of thing opens non binary people to ridicule and makes accepting it more difficult.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

When addressing your friend directly, presumably you would just use the name (e.g. Maud or Ermintrude or Wolfgang or Ethelred) rather than use third person pronouns? Does that help a bit?!?!

"When addressing your friend directly, presumably you would just use the name (e.g. Maud or Ermintrude or Wolfgang or Ethelred) rather than use third person pronouns? Does that help a bit?!?!"

Funny you asked… he’s actually asked to refer/speak to him in third person, and he started talking about himself in third person too, using his preferred pronouns. Which is SUPER odd!

Like, very very weird and confusing if I must say.

He has told me off a few times and shouted “PRONOUNS” at me when making a few genuine mistakes…

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

"He has told me off a few times and shouted “PRONOUNS” at me when making a few genuine mistakes… "

All for people being whoever they want to be, express yourself in any way that makes you happy. However….your friend comes across as a right dick

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"When addressing your friend directly, presumably you would just use the name (e.g. Maud or Ermintrude or Wolfgang or Ethelred) rather than use third person pronouns? Does that help a bit?!?!

Funny you asked… he’s actually asked to refer/speak to him in third person, and he started talking about himself in third person too, using his preferred pronouns. Which is SUPER odd!

Like, very very weird and confusing if I must say."

I personally find that odd, yes. The old saying comes to mind: "she - is the cat's mother". I was educated to use people's names if they were present/in earshot.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"He has told me off a few times and shouted “PRONOUNS” at me when making a few genuine mistakes… "

I think they need to be more reasonable and stop acting like a dick

They're lucky you didn't just laugh... I'm pretty sure I would have

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I mean there seem to be quite a rise of non-binary who seem to create new pronouns, don’t even know how and why

They think it is trendy."

this is what I think too. Trendy, different, wanting attention.

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

It’s really not difficult to understand. Or respect.

V x

Theeee worst friend in Europe. How do you sleep at night

"When addressing your friend directly, presumably you would just use the name (e.g. Maud or Ermintrude or Wolfgang or Ethelred) rather than use third person pronouns? Does that help a bit?!?!

Like, very very weird and confusing if I must say."

This sounds like too much hard work for a genuine friendship to be honest.

I couldn't be arsed but I can be a right cow.

I couldn't be arsed but I can be a right cow."

You? A cow? Noooo

By *adInLiverpoolMan  over a year ago

LIVERPOOL

I honestly thought the same...

You? A cow? Noooo "

A cow with a low bullshit tolerance.

^ stand back

LIVERPOOL

He just wants attention, he’s the bad friend. These people need to be told no.

LIVERPOOL

You? A cow? Noooo

A cow with a low bullshit tolerance. "

Don’t forget a nice pair of legs as well....

» Add a new message to this topic