FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > She was going for a run.

She was going for a run.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Heartbroken to see another beautiful woman killed. All she was doing was going for a run. The last time a similar case made the news there was a post on here about it….far too many of you men said stuff like ‘she should have taken a different route home’ …’she should have done things to make herself more safe’…’she shouldn’t have been drinking’…’she shouldn’t have got a taxi’…..there’s always a ‘she should have’. Well fuck that! I was disgusted to see men on fab with that mindset. Far too many. I’m sick of that bullshit. When will it be acknowledged that we shouldn’t have to change a single thing! We should be able to live, as we want, without our lives being taken from us. If you have that mindset you are part of the problem. She was going for a run.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

She didn't deserve to die, whatever she was doing.

"She didn't deserve to die, whatever she was doing. "

Exactly. What on Earth is this shit world coming too. x

By *D of funCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

Very sad...

She shouldn’t have had to change her ways for life not to be taken. No argument can be put forward to justify it.

Me & a female friend go out running in the mornings and sometimes she drops behind me and I feel like I have to slow down whenever we pass someone walking (usually males), for the fear of something happening. And that in itself is so wrong!! Shouldn’t have to think like that.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

What an awful thing to happen

What can society do to stop these kinda things? How do we make streets safer?

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"What an awful thing to happen

What can society do to stop these kinda things? How do we make streets safer? "

Totally dismantle the patriarchy so we're not trapped in a system that conditions men from birth to be violent monsters.

Not a popular answer, but that's what it is.

w

Totally dismantle the patriarchy so we're not trapped in a system that conditions men from birth to be violent monsters.

Not a popular answer, but that's what it is. "

Not realistic either, because I think no amount of social conditioning or dismantling of the patriarchy is gonna stop monsters being monsters

It was 4pm (not 4am) a time of the day that most people would feel safe to go out. There's absolutely nothing she should of done differently, gone with a friend, took a different route, gone when it was lighter, it was 4 bloody pm!!!!

Another beautiful person taken far too early

"It was 4pm (not 4am) a time of the day that most people would feel safe to go out. There's absolutely nothing she should of done differently, gone with a friend, took a different route, gone when it was lighter, it was 4 bloody pm!!!!

Another beautiful person taken far too early "

Agree with your point, but even at 4am it still isn’t acceptable

"It was 4pm (not 4am) a time of the day that most people would feel safe to go out. There's absolutely nothing she should of done differently, gone with a friend, took a different route, gone when it was lighter, it was 4 bloody pm!!!!

Another beautiful person taken far too early

Agree with your point, but even at 4am it still isn’t acceptable "

Completely agree. Any time, place, scenario, everyone should be able to do as they want and be safe x

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Not realistic either, because I think no amount of social conditioning or dismantling of the patriarchy is gonna stop monsters being monsters"

My apologies – I shouldn't have used the word "monsters".

Because there *are* no monsters. There are just people, and using the word "monsters" lets those people off the hook. It serves as a distancing mechanism, and we shouldn't distance ourselves from those people, because we *are* "those people".

You asked what society could do. You didn't ask for a quick fix, or a magic wand, or a convenient fire-and-forget solution. Sure, the answer is difficult to implement, but it's still the answer.

Improving any given situation is often difficult. That doesn't mean we shouldn't make a start on it. Even one life saved, even one assault prevented, even one person spared trauma... still a victory. Still a better world we've made.

According to ONS figures from last year, 93% of convicted killers in the UK are men. The problem is men. No amount of women "doing the right thing" is going to fix what's wrong with men.

There's no sticking plaster for this. Until we make those root-and-branch changes in our society, women are going to continue to die at the hands of violent men.

By *eeling0880Man  over a year ago

Pennines

It’s truly bloody awful, just going for for a run like so many of us do and shouldn’t be in fear what ever the route. I stand together with you xx

w

Not realistic either, because I think no amount of social conditioning or dismantling of the patriarchy is gonna stop monsters being monsters

My apologies – I shouldn't have used the word "monsters".

Because there *are* no monsters. There are just people, and using the word "monsters" lets those people off the hook. It serves as a distancing mechanism, and we shouldn't distance ourselves from those people, because we *are* "those people".

You asked what society could do. You didn't ask for a quick fix, or a magic wand, or a convenient fire-and-forget solution. Sure, the answer is difficult to implement, but it's still the answer.

Improving any given situation is often difficult. That doesn't mean we shouldn't make a start on it. Even one life saved, even one assault prevented, even one person spared trauma... still a victory. Still a better world we've made.

According to ONS figures from last year, 93% of convicted killers in the UK are men. The problem is men. No amount of women "doing the right thing" is going to fix what's wrong with men.

There's no sticking plaster for this. Until we make those root-and-branch changes in our society, women are going to continue to die at the hands of violent men.

"

Very true, but that’s a long road that I doubt we’ll see change in this generation or even the next 2-3 generations. No reason not to start, but I’m not sure the answer “it’s get better in 50 years” puts many people at ease

So how do we tackle it now? This happened in Ireland so I don’t know what their police are like, but I know in the UK police budgets have been cut year on year. Why is this? Why do we allow our streets to get more dangerous because of underfunded public services? Services that don’t effect the richest in society, or people that decide to make the cuts, because they often have private security firms patrolling their streets.

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

The vast majority of people killed by men are men.

Stop with the sexist attitudes. Yes, women are weaker physically, as are children. When they are killed people are outraged.

Rightly so.

But virtually every victim of knife crime is a boy/man. Do we hear out cries then ? What about a less normal person in society...say a drug addict or prostitute? Do we hear outcries then ?

It happens every day. I don't know who this story is about, but I guess she is a young and pretty lady? Possibly professional? Family who loves her.?

All sorts of people are victims, its a shame we aren't outraged every day.

"The vast majority of people killed by men are men.

Stop with the sexist attitudes. Yes, women are weaker physically, as are children. When they are killed people are outraged.

Rightly so.

But virtually every victim of knife crime is a boy/man. Do we hear out cries then ? What about a less normal person in society...say a drug addict or prostitute? Do we hear outcries then ?

It happens every day. I don't know who this story is about, but I guess she is a young and pretty lady? Possibly professional? Family who loves her.?

All sorts of people are victims, its a shame we aren't outraged every day. "

I’ve typed out about 5 responses to this, I can’t quite grasp your point.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Rightly so.

On Monday 3rd January a 28 year old man was stabbed to death at 11am on the main Street in a local town. In broad daylight with numerous witnesses who wrestled the attacker to the ground. Yes the attacker was male but every murder is wrong regardless of the perpetrator or victim and this young man's story did not make the national media.

He was only going for a walk.

BSE

Someone grasps my point.

Do you as a man feel safe going out for a walk on your own?

By *urAlterEgosCouple  over a year ago

Barnsley

Rightly so.

I’ve typed out about 5 responses to this, I can’t quite grasp your point. "

We think his point is pretty clear, and actually spot on. Are men’s lives not as news worthy as a pretty young woman’s?

By *ixey and CopperCouple  over a year ago

Taunton

"Do you as a man feel safe going out for a walk on your own? "

I don't (Mr)

Rightly so.

Fully agree. You should be outraged this woman died bit you should also be outraged at every young boy that gets stabbed, every guy that gets attacked.

But they arent female, pretty and white so....

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Depends on the neighborhood, time of day, location.

But then bad things can happen anywhere anytime.

"Heartbroken to see another beautiful woman killed. All she was doing was going for a run. The last time a similar case made the news there was a post on here about it….far too many of you men said stuff like ‘she should have taken a different route home’ …’she should have done things to make herself more safe’…’she shouldn’t have been drinking’…’she shouldn’t have got a taxi’…..there’s always a ‘she should have’. Well fuck that! I was disgusted to see men on fab with that mindset. Far too many. I’m sick of that bullshit. When will it be acknowledged that we shouldn’t have to change a single thing! We should be able to live, as we want, without our lives being taken from us. If you have that mindset you are part of the problem. She was going for a run. "

It's a shame that we live in a society that woman can't walk home alone without comments from people saying she should of made other arrangements of getting home. It saddens me. Wether you're a woman a man or child we should all be safe to walk home or where every we go. I have a 23 year old daughter and I constantly worry about her when she's out. It's wrong as we should all feel safe

By *esparate danMan  over a year ago

glasgow

Of course we should be outraged by every murder.

But the emphasis on beauty highlights that women are seen as the prize not the power

And it's right to call that out as inappropriate

You are absolutely correct.

However, we have to be mindful that there will always be broken, damaged, damn nasty and evil people walking amongst us.

Its absolutely disgusting what happened and it shouldn’t have happened at all, very sad

I have to say that stuff like this, makes you re-think. I’ve recently had to look for a new flat, and some were nice but felt way too far from crowded areas and too far from the tube.

I turned down one flat, because I’d have had to do an under passage and I thought, I’d be scared or feel not safe doing it at certain times of the day…

Incredible that we have to think of every little possibility to ensure our safety!!! (and even then, it isn’t guaranteed)

Belfast

I grew up in a society that the majority of people on this forum couldn't even begin to imagine because they only saw what the media allowed them to see.

No-one felt safe going for a walk, doing their job, driving a car or most things that people should take for granted but it was the norm.

We were surrounded by death and destruction and it didn't matter if you were male, female, old or young.

Whether I like it or not I have become desensitised to death but that does not stop me from being angry at the loss of every life regardless of race, creed or gender.

I have 3 grown daughters and I worry about them and their safety every single day. I have 2 grandsons and I also worry about their safety every day.

We all know the statistics but we've known those for a generation or more and nothing has changed because society as a whole is spending so much time and energy pointing fingers and cherry picking to suit their personal agenda.

w

"Its absolutely disgusting what happened and it shouldn’t have happened at all, very sad

I have to say that stuff like this, makes you re-think. I’ve recently had to look for a new flat, and some were nice but felt way too far from crowded areas and too far from the tube.

I turned down one flat, because I’d have had to do an under passage and I thought, I’d be scared or feel not safe doing it at certain times of the day…

Incredible that we have to think of every little possibility to ensure our safety!!! (and even then, it isn’t guaranteed) "

It’s shit isn’t it. I’ve been looking at houses and anything the size I want within my budget aren’t in nice areas. I don’t wanna live somewhere where I feel unsafe walking out my front door. Or scared of people breaking in at night

So I’m forced to just keep renting until eventually I can get something somewhere nicer.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

Agree totally. The blame lies solely with the killer. The victim is 100% innocent.

"Its absolutely disgusting what happened and it shouldn’t have happened at all, very sad

Incredible that we have to think of every little possibility to ensure our safety!!! (and even then, it isn’t guaranteed)

It’s shit isn’t it. I’ve been looking at houses and anything the size I want within my budget aren’t in nice areas. I don’t wanna live somewhere where I feel unsafe walking out my front door. Or scared of people breaking in at night

So I’m forced to just keep renting until eventually I can get something somewhere nicer."

Yeah, I think feeling safe in your neighbourhood is a must!! Even when it comes to potential break in (whether you are in or not) That’s my nightmare …

Luckily I found a place and it’s on a bustling road full of cafes and restaurants, and it’s only 5 mins walk from the tube station. So I think I managed alright (I sacrificed on the size of the flat) in the end

Rightly so.

No amount of public awareness or policing can prevent random attacks such as this particular one.

Unfortunately they will always occur. No amount of proper education or good moral values instilled in people from an early age will deter an individual from committing an act like this because some people have faulty wiring and some people just like to hurt other's..

It's impossible to police and it's just something we are stuck with.

Rightly so.

I wondered how long before a man would try and move this away from the safety of women and make it about men. If you want a thread about that then make one. Shameful

[Removed by poster at 15/01/22 09:04:58]

This is a post about women and they’re safety. It’s not a race to the bottom. There always a man claiming ‘men get killed too’. NO ONE IS SAYING THEH DONT.

However, this isn’t about you. Go away and make your own thread if that’s what you want to discuss. Again this is part of the problem. We can’t even chat about it without it becoming about men….again.

Here come the men talking about how unsafe they feel too.

This is an issue about male violence towards women on our streets.

It needs to be discussed without detour or digression.

"Here come the men talking about how unsafe they feel too.

This is an issue about male violence towards women on our streets.

It needs to be discussed without detour or digression."

Exactly this xx

"Heartbroken to see another beautiful woman killed. All she was doing was going for a run. The last time a similar case made the news there was a post on here about it….far too many of you men said stuff like ‘she should have taken a different route home’ …’she should have done things to make herself more safe’…’she shouldn’t have been drinking’…’she shouldn’t have got a taxi’…..there’s always a ‘she should have’. Well fuck that! I was disgusted to see men on fab with that mindset. Far too many. I’m sick of that bullshit. When will it be acknowledged that we shouldn’t have to change a single thing! We should be able to live, as we want, without our lives being taken from us. If you have that mindset you are part of the problem. She was going for a run. "

I think this is unnecessarily harsh. If someone dies people often say e.g. "if only..." they hadn't gone in to work today (where there was an explosion)....

Suggesting that men don't give a shit and/ or are victim blaming isn't helpful.

There were also many men asking what they can do to help.

Belfast

"This is a post about women and they’re safety. It’s not a race to the bottom. There always a man claiming ‘men get killed too’. NO ONE IS SAYING THEH DONT.

However, this isn’t about you. Go away and make your own thread if that’s what you want to discuss. Again this is part of the problem. We can’t even chat about it without it becoming about men….again. "

We've had numerous threads along similar lines where men have asked what they can do to help in regard to womens safety and without fail they have been told they should already know what to do and to go away and stop asking stupid questions.

That's not a discussion.

It's terrible. It's the world we live in unfortunately, full of maniacs that do stuff like this.

"This is a post about women and they’re safety. It’s not a race to the bottom. There always a man claiming ‘men get killed too’. NO ONE IS SAYING THEH DONT.

However, this isn’t about you. Go away and make your own thread if that’s what you want to discuss. Again this is part of the problem. We can’t even chat about it without it becoming about men….again.

We've had numerous threads along similar lines where men have asked what they can do to help in regard to womens safety and without fail they have been told they should already know what to do and to go away and stop asking stupid questions.

That's not a discussion. "

That isn’t true.

I’ve seen lots of good advice on these threads before, from both men and women.

Plus, we should always try and educate people where possible.

Any gender should be able to 'just go for a run'.

"Heartbroken to see another beautiful woman killed. All she was doing was going for a run. The last time a similar case made the news there was a post on here about it….far too many of you men said stuff like ‘she should have taken a different route home’ …’she should have done things to make herself more safe’…’she shouldn’t have been drinking’…’she shouldn’t have got a taxi’…..there’s always a ‘she should have’. Well fuck that! I was disgusted to see men on fab with that mindset. Far too many. I’m sick of that bullshit. When will it be acknowledged that we shouldn’t have to change a single thing! We should be able to live, as we want, without our lives being taken from us. If you have that mindset you are part of the problem. She was going for a run.

I think this is unnecessarily harsh. If someone dies people often say e.g. "if only..." they hadn't gone in to work today (where there was an explosion)....

There were also many men asking what they can do to help. "

I said what I said and I meant it. And I think some responses from men in this thread make it clear. I also didn’t say ALL men. This won’t get you a meet! Haha!

"Any gender should be able to 'just go for a run'.

"

No one is saying they shouldn’t. But this is a thread about women’s safety. If you want to chat about men then go and make your own.

There are some very thirsty women on here this morning.

Belfast

That's not a discussion.

That isn’t true.

I’ve seen lots of good advice on these threads before, from both men and women.

Plus, we should always try and educate people where possible."

Unfortunately it is very true. The op also made it very clear that this thread was aimed at men. She addressed it to "you men" so obviously this isn't a discussion that invites opinions.

I think that I can safely say that the majority of women do not feel safe alone after dark, for fear of attack from a male.

This however, was 4 in the afternoon. So now women are feeling unsafe 24/7, on the street alone.

The threat of male violence towards women walking alone is now not just something that we, as women, carry with us at night!

That’s a terrifying concept.

"Heartbroken to see another beautiful woman killed. All she was doing was going for a run. The last time a similar case made the news there was a post on here about it….far too many of you men said stuff like ‘she should have taken a different route home’ …’she should have done things to make herself more safe’…’she shouldn’t have been drinking’…’she shouldn’t have got a taxi’…..there’s always a ‘she should have’. Well fuck that! I was disgusted to see men on fab with that mindset. Far too many. I’m sick of that bullshit. When will it be acknowledged that we shouldn’t have to change a single thing! We should be able to live, as we want, without our lives being taken from us. If you have that mindset you are part of the problem. She was going for a run.

There were also many men asking what they can do to help.

I said what I said and I meant it. And I think some responses from men in this thread make it clear. I also didn’t say ALL men. This won’t get you a meet! Haha! "

And then we wonder why Men keep their fears, thoughts and worries internalised when we see posts disregarding and shooting them down

No one is saying they shouldn’t. But this is a thread about women’s safety. If you want to chat about men then go and make your own.

There are some very thirsty women on here this morning. "

Wow. Your OP is strange considering you hate women.

Crack on.

I'm off for a run.

[Removed by poster at 15/01/22 09:22:14]

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"

Ah a carbon copy of the ole "all lifes matter" statement.

A stereo typical socially conditioned response to a deep rooted problem wishes to be swept under the carpet and ignored on mass.

Crack on. "

What I can’t stand in ‘women’ is those that disregard very serious issues but making it about a man. Perhaps your happy to cater to them, but I’m not. It’s crazy to come on to a woman’s safety thread, as a woman, and stroke a mans ego. Are you that dependant? I don’t hate anyone, but I do hate weakness.

"I'm off for a run."

Great that you feel safe to do so

"And then we wonder why Men keep their fears, thoughts and worries internalised when we see posts disregarding and shooting them down"
exactly

A stereo typical socially conditioned response to a deep rooted problem wishes to be swept under the carpet and ignored on mass.

"

Perfect response x

By *aughtywifeandhimCouple  over a year ago

luton

Totally agree with you ,and I’m the male of this couple , no woman should have to worry about being attacked anywhere , just wish all sick evil people in our society would drop dead , women children and even some innocent guys getting taken out by such scum

Crack on.

What I can’t stand in ‘women’ is those that disregard very serious issues but making it about a man. Perhaps your happy to cater to them, but I’m not. It’s crazy to come on to a woman’s safety thread, as a woman, and stroke a mans ego. Are you that dependant? I don’t hate anyone, but I do hate weakness."

This issue cannot and should not be generalised.

We are talking about MALE violence towards FEMALES in public. That’s this particular topic, the end.

It needs to be tackled directly (god knows how) but a start is open and frank discussion without fear of backlash or judgement.

"[glad to remove poster at 15/01/22 09:22:14]"

My thoughts are with the woman's family.

I find it quite alarming that seriously violent attacks like this seem to be increasing in frequency, and it absolutely should be discussed.

I've worked in forensic services in the past and believe me, I found that hard going, I had to leave due to some of the things I had to deal with, supporting ex and reoffenders in the community.

Sniping at each other on here isn't going help matters either when wanting to try have an open discussion, and think I that several points on this thread should be discussed.

Perfect response x"

Starting a thread about a pretty white woman been murdered, a socially conditioned response.

I'm not even arguing about the fact women shouldn't feel fear about anything they do, I fully agree. I mean I am actually female.

It is an outrage what happened, a complete outrage. It shouldn't ever happen. But the fact is it wouldn't even be headline news if she wasn't female and pretty and white.

And that outrages me.

w

Luckily any response to fixing female safety on the street will directly contribute to mens safety, so I don’t see why guys bother trying to point out that men are equally effected

What is the fix? I think better funded police is a great start.

Crack on.

What I can’t stand in ‘women’ is those that disregard very serious issues but making it about a man. Perhaps your happy to cater to them, but I’m not. It’s crazy to come on to a woman’s safety thread, as a woman, and stroke a mans ego. Are you that dependant? I don’t hate anyone, but I do hate weakness."

What are you wanting from us woman, to add to this thread...a rant about the male species'?? Or something more constructive?

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"Young woman murdered while running"

This Media headline grabs societies attention.

It makes people think and talk about murder. Safety. Not just in womans terms but for all.

Unfortunately violent crime is on the increase.

Society is desensitized to violence through film, gaming and modern life.

---

If YOU live in fear YOU will never live.

You choose your house you place of work because you want it. Not because it is saver!!

You want to feel saver? Take classes in self defence to make you feel saver!!

----

It's not right that anybody should die.

As women and those of ethnic backgrounds take a stand against injustice. We should applaud them for standing up for what is right.

We should ALL be looking at ourselves and try to be better humans.

"Luckily any response to fixing female safety on the street will directly contribute to mens safety, so I don’t see why guys bother trying to point out that men are equally effected

What is the fix? I think better funded police is a great start."

A better police force altogether would be a start, they need to be put through their paces. In all aspects! Everytime i've had to work with them has been a graft, not all of them, enough though. The budget is too busy getting spent on the PM's wine nights, whilst people are getting bodied on the streets. Sad times!

We are all only talking about adults ...

The problem lies much younger than 18...

w

"Luckily any response to fixing female safety on the street will directly contribute to mens safety, so I don’t see why guys bother trying to point out that men are equally effected

A better police force altogether would be a start, they need to be put through their paces. In all aspects! Everytime i've had to work with them has been a graft, not all of them, enough though. The budget is too busy getting spent on the PM's wine nights, whilst people are getting bodied on the streets. Sad times!"

Couldn’t agree more, they are massively under funded, under trained. You call the police these days and most of the time you’d be lucky they even turned up

New York is a perfect example of what funding police can do. Once considered one of the most dangerous cities in America, the new mayor pushed tonnes of funding into police, stop and search powers, cctv etc.

Within a year it was the 2nd safest place to live. I’d have to check wiki to get it all right, but it’s the perfect example that police funding plays a huge role is how safe the streets are

Why are our police force funds being cut every year?

A better police force altogether would be a start, they need to be put through their paces. In all aspects! Everytime i've had to work with them has been a graft, not all of them, enough though. The budget is too busy getting spent on the PM's wine nights, whilst people are getting bodied on the streets. Sad times!"

How is a better funded police going to prevent such attacks? How do you police a random person who snaps and attack's the first person they see?

"I think that I can safely say that the majority of women do not feel safe alone after dark, for fear of attack from a male.

This however, was 4 in the afternoon. So now women are feeling unsafe 24/7, on the street alone.

The threat of male violence towards women walking alone is now not just something that we, as women, carry with us at night!

That’s a terrifying concept. "

It is unreal how some men feel it’s okay approaching when you are JUST going on anout your day, okay most of the times , it may be totally innocent ..

But considering what’s happening… how can one not be wary, all the freaking time?

"We are all only talking about adults ...

The problem lies much younger than 18...

"

Agree but one of the issues is, children copy what adults do.

"

It makes people think and talk about murder. Safety. Not just in womans terms but for all.

---

You choose your house you place of work because you want it. Not because it is saver!!

----

As women and those of ethnic backgrounds take a stand against injustice. We should applaud them for standing up for what is right.

"

Im sorry, but taking things into account is just the reality of it all.

Not living in fear, and maybe I’m by nature more paranoid about things so I’m the kind of girl who thinks… better be safe than sorry.

But anyway… I definitely do plan my routes and avoid streets or cross roads if I don’t feel safe enough… and this is the reality for a lot of women (sadly, as it shouldn’t be like that, at all!)

"

---

----

Not living in fear, and maybe I’m by nature more paranoid about things so I’m the kind of girl who thinks… better be safe than sorry.

But anyway… I definitely do plan my routes and avoid streets or cross roads if I don’t feel safe enough… and this is the reality for a lot of women (sadly, as it shouldn’t be like that, at all!)"

Also, take classes in self defence?? Are you freaking kidding me??!

So what do you propose to improve women's safety, so that they don't even have to consider it when they do whatever activity? I am genuinely interested.

A better police force altogether would be a start, they need to be put through their paces. In all aspects! Everytime i've had to work with them has been a graft, not all of them, enough though. The budget is too busy getting spent on the PM's wine nights, whilst people are getting bodied on the streets. Sad times!

Couldn’t agree more, they are massively under funded, under trained. You call the police these days and most of the time you’d be lucky they even turned up

New York is a perfect example of what funding police can do. Once considered one of the most dangerous cities in America, the new mayor pushed tonnes of funding into police, stop and search powers, cctv etc.

Within a year it was the 2nd safest place to live. I’d have to check wiki to get it all right, but it’s the perfect example that police funding plays a huge role is how safe the streets are

Why are our police force funds being cut every year? "

I actually think it's because they're spending more on cyber warfare, GCHQ/MI5 are busier than ever with China and Russia playing suduko in our back garden. Then this whole time there's been a Chinese spy WORKING in parliament could not write it

The knock on of that is that people are ballsy enough to carry out crimes on the streets, with women being an easier target than men.

"I think that I can safely say that the majority of women do not feel safe alone after dark, for fear of attack from a male.

It is unreal how some men feel it’s okay approaching when you are JUST going on anout your day, okay most of the times , it may be totally innocent ..

But considering what’s happening… how can one not be wary, all the freaking time? "

I wear clothes that admittedly make me stand out, my hair is very blonde, my body is very aesthetically altered - so I am aware that I stand out.

This means that men approach me in public, frequently!

Some would say that the way that I look /dress/ alter my appearance encourages it. Maybe.

Is it acceptable though?

I posted a thread a few days ago about a guy staring in the drive through. It was taken both seriously and un-seriously.

Don’t know what I’m getting at but it’s tough enough being a female without the threat of violence or assault everywhere you go.

w

How is a better funded police going to prevent such attacks? How do you police a random person who snaps and attack's the first person they see?

"

You’ll never stop that, but increased police funding has shown to reduce crime.

You’ll never stop someone snapping and random attacking someone

But a better police force would help

You’ll never make the world 100% safe. But that doesn’t mean you should give up

"

Cheers

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

Perfect response x

Starting a thread about a pretty white woman been murdered, a socially conditioned response.

I'm not even arguing about the fact women shouldn't feel fear about anything they do, I fully agree. I mean I am actually female.

It is an outrage what happened, a complete outrage. It shouldn't ever happen. But the fact is it wouldn't even be headline news if she wasn't female and pretty and white.

And that outrages me.

"

I totally agree with this. But in the end, if it highlights how women do not feel safe - women of all races - that must be a good thing IF it leads to action.

Perfect response x

And that outrages me.

"

Thank you.

Mr

But considering what’s happening… how can one not be wary, all the freaking time?

I wear clothes that admittedly make me stand out, my hair is very blonde, my body is very aesthetically altered - so I am aware that I stand out.

Some would say that the way that I look /dress/ alter my appearance encourages it. Maybe.

Is it acceptable though?

I posted a thread a few days ago about a guy staring in the drive through. It was taken both seriously and un-seriously.

Don’t know what I’m getting at but it’s tough enough being a female without the threat of violence or assault everywhere you go. "

But it shouldn’t matter how you present yourself! Like , we should feel safe either way.

I have many friends who admittedly dress down to avoid stuff like that happening … how insane is that

And also myself, I get approached quite a bit, most of it innocent, some look, some wave , some try to start a conversation, some are straight up rude (like, while walking… “are you single, sexy?”)

It shouldn’t be like that. I admittedly cross roads if there’s a gangs of men, particularly young men… I just feel unease (and maybe it’s my paranoia but maybe not)

Is it acceptable though?

Don’t know what I’m getting at but it’s tough enough being a female without the threat of violence or assault everywhere you go.

But it shouldn’t matter how you present yourself! Like , we should feel safe either way.

I have many friends who admittedly dress down to avoid stuff like that happening … how insane is that

And also myself, I get approached quite a bit, most of it innocent, some look, some wave , some try to start a conversation, some are straight up rude (like, while walking… “are you single, sexy?”)

It shouldn’t be like that. I admittedly cross roads if there’s a gangs of men, particularly young men… I just feel unease (and maybe it’s my paranoia but maybe not) "

It’s how it makes you feel. They may be “innocent” in their approach but it still makes you feel uneasy.

It’s predatory. I was walking down the road yesterday morning to go and have a sunbed. A guy walking towards me said “fuck me, you’re fit”, I said thanks and kept walking, fast! I was happy that I was only a few doors away from the shop. I’m sure he meant nothing malicious but it made me uncomfortable.

Absolutely, it’s that feeling of uneasiness (even if there’s no malicious intentions)

Its really awful and it shouldn’t feel like a battlefield going from A to B. Or wishing to have taken an Uber …

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 15/01/22 10:20:10]

I’m just back from a run.

Didn’t attack anybody.

Well done me.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

By _ryandseeFind posts by _ryandsee Man

just this minute!

West Yorkshire

Everyone should feel and be safe no matter what. Unfortunately that's not the case for a lot of people and will take a lot to address, from personal and collective responsibility, to socioeconomical intervention and support. It's just not right that gender or any other characteristic should increase the risks for any individual. It makes me sad that people live in fear for their safety.

I disagree with those saying it's just because Aisling Murphy (her name hasn't been said yet) was pretty and white that her murder has been front page news. She was a primary school teacher. Her students are drawing pictures to remember her. Only 23 when she was murdered. And it is pretty terrifying as a woman to read that another woman has been murdered in broad daylight.

It's a reminder that the misogyny that exists every day on this site is the other end of a spectrum that ended in Aisling's murder.

"I disagree with those saying it's just because Aisling Murphy (her name hasn't been said yet) was pretty and white that her murder has been front page news. She was a primary school teacher. Her students are drawing pictures to remember her. Only 23 when she was murdered. And it is pretty terrifying as a woman to read that another woman has been murdered in broad daylight.

It's a reminder that the misogyny that exists every day on this site is the other end of a spectrum that ended in Aisling's murder. "

To get from misogyny to murder, it's a very long spectrum.

"I disagree with those saying it's just because Aisling Murphy (her name hasn't been said yet) was pretty and white that her murder has been front page news. She was a primary school teacher. Her students are drawing pictures to remember her. Only 23 when she was murdered. And it is pretty terrifying as a woman to read that another woman has been murdered in broad daylight.

It's a reminder that the misogyny that exists every day on this site is the other end of a spectrum that ended in Aisling's murder.

To get from misogyny to murder, it's a very long spectrum."

Your point? You see no link between the constant objectification and abuse of women on this site and actual violence against women?

There's two kinds of people, those who care about someone being murdered and those wo don't care. This is how we start to make changes and get to where we want to be

Your point? You see no link between the constant objectification and abuse of women on this site and actual violence against women? "

I don't see any correlation between asshole male misogynistic types and cold blooded murder.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"And then we wonder why Men keep their fears, thoughts and worries internalised when we see posts disregarding and shooting them down"

Your point? You see no link between the constant objectification and abuse of women on this site and actual violence against women?

I don't see any correlation between asshole male misogynistic types and cold blooded murder."

I do see a correlation between a misogynistic society and violence against women.

"And then we wonder why Men keep their fears, thoughts and worries internalised when we see posts disregarding and shooting them down

"

Circle back to my previously used comment.

Men - everything is your fault, be better.. much, much better.

"And then we wonder why Men keep their fears, thoughts and worries internalised when we see posts disregarding and shooting them down

Circle back to my previously used comment.

Men - everything is your fault, be better.. much, much better.

"

"

---

----

But anyway… I definitely do plan my routes and avoid streets or cross roads if I don’t feel safe enough… and this is the reality for a lot of women (sadly, as it shouldn’t be like that, at all!)

"

Yes and I taught my Daughter those skills....

Think that should be introduced in schools.

Paradise, Herts

"

---

----

Think that should be introduced in schools."

Me too. As do a lot of people. I don’t really get the strange response to this.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

But why does it have to be gender based?

Why can't it just be about safer streets?

Why discount other people's experiences and fears. Why segregate those fears from a different type of people's fears?

w

"

---

----

Me too. As do a lot of people. I don’t really get the strange response to this. "

I’ve done martial arts for 10 years. The strange response to this is that it would take a woman 5 years of absolute dedication to a martial art to even compete with the size/strength/weight difference in a man. A remember being a year into bjj and having to go easy on women that were years into the game

So I think it can foster a false sense of security when someone takes 5-10 self defence classes

I don’t think it’s worthless, but I don’t think it’s the answer either

There’s also the dilemma that it puts the emphasis on the women protecting herself, instead of creating a system/society that protects everyone. You shouldn’t need to learn how to fight to feel safe in a society

But as I said, I’m not against it if it’s done well. Self defence classes should focus on how to create space and run away. Not how to defeat your attacker

But why does it have to be gender based?

Why can't it just be about safer streets?

Why discount other people's experiences and fears. Why segregate those fears from a different type of people's fears?"

It's a thread about Aisling though - can we not talk about her without it turning into "not all men" and safer streets?

"

---

----

Me too. As do a lot of people. I don’t really get the strange response to this. "

I'd be keen on my kids having classes at school. I've seen it turned around though so that it takes the responsibility from the person committing the violence. That's maybe the issue?

Paradise, Herts

"

---

----

I’ve done martial arts for 10 years. The strange response to this is that it would take a woman 5 years of absolute dedication to a martial art to even compete with the size/strength/weight difference in a man. A remember being a year into bjj and having to go easy on women that were years into the game

So I think it can foster a false sense of security when someone takes 5-10 self defence classes

There’s also the dilemma that it puts the emphasis on the women protecting herself, instead of creating a system/society that protects everyone. You shouldn’t need to learn how to fight to feel safe in a society

But as I said, I’m not against it if it’s done well. Self defence classes should focus on how to create space and run away. Not how to defeat your attacker "

No you shouldn’t have to but we don’t live in an idealist world and no matter how many posts there are like this we never will. I have girls but I would have done exactly the same if I had had boys.

Paradise, Herts

"

---

----

I'd be keen on my kids having classes at school. I've seen it turned around though so that it takes the responsibility from the person committing the violence. That's maybe the issue?"

I don’t quite understand? So don’t defend yourself in case you get the blame?

"

---

----

But as I said, I’m not against it if it’s done well. Self defence classes should focus on how to create space and run away. Not how to defeat your attacker "

Just to add to this....

It isn't always about protection/fighting. It's the mental side. Helps with confidence, helps to recognise coehersive behaviour in people - and how to deal with it.

w

"

---

----

But as I said, I’m not against it if it’s done well. Self defence classes should focus on how to create space and run away. Not how to defeat your attacker

No you shouldn’t have to but we don’t live in an idealist world and no matter how many posts there are like this we never will. I have girls but I would have done exactly the same if I had had boys. "

As I said, I’ve it’s done well, great

I’ve had female friends come out if self defence classes 100% convinced they could disable a guy if they got attacked. It gave them a false sense of safety and security that could wind up hurting them later on

Self defence classes shouldn’t be about beating up your attacker, many are

They should be about staying on your feet, creating space and escaping

The right self defence class is absolutely worth it.

Paradise, Herts

"

---

----

No you shouldn’t have to but we don’t live in an idealist world and no matter how many posts there are like this we never will. I have girls but I would have done exactly the same if I had had boys.

I’ve had female friends come out if self defence classes 100% convinced they could disable a guy if they got attacked. It gave them a false sense of safety and security that could wind up hurting them later on

The right self defence class is absolutely worth it."

Yes it is worth it

"

---

----

Just to add to this....

It isn't always about protection/fighting. It's the mental side. Helps with confidence, helps to recognise coehersive behaviour in people - and how to deal with it."

Be space aware outside etc...having the knowledge of scenarios and being able to get out of those situations...

"

I'd be keen on my kids having classes at school. I've seen it turned around though so that it takes the responsibility from the person committing the violence. That's maybe the issue?

I don’t quite understand? So don’t defend yourself in case you get the blame?"

Ah no, I meant the response to violence against women being "they should learn to defend themselves" rather than "men should not attack women". It's a gendered example because that's the topic but it applies to anyone. Thicc summed it up better.

Paradise, Herts

"

Ah no, I meant the response to violence against women being "they should learn to defend themselves" rather than "men should not attack women". It's a gendered example because that's the topic but it applies to anyone. Thicc summed it up better."

Ah. Of course. I agree! But like I said I’d rather my kids and myself be able to defend themselves as unfortunately it does happen.

"

Ah no, I meant the response to violence against women being "they should learn to defend themselves" rather than "men should not attack women". It's a gendered example because that's the topic but it applies to anyone. Thicc summed it up better.

Ah. Of course. I agree! But like I said I’d rather my kids and myself be able to defend themselves as unfortunately it does happen. "

I'd like that too. I have boys and a girl and it would be awesome. Couldn't afford to send them all to classes though.

If I felt vulnerable I'd take every precaution. Route planning, self defense, pepper spray or whatever. Should you have to factor in these things into your daily life? No, you shouldn't. But the world and society isn't like that.

These kind of attacks happen and will always happen. No amount of preemptive policing can eradicate them.

It's a shitty world we live in where a simple stroll can get to our killed.

Paradise, Herts

"

Ah. Of course. I agree! But like I said I’d rather my kids and myself be able to defend themselves as unfortunately it does happen.

I'd like that too. I have boys and a girl and it would be awesome. Couldn't afford to send them all to classes though. "

Yeah would be good if schools introduced it.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"If I felt vulnerable I'd take every precaution. Route planning, self defense, pepper spray or whatever. Should you have to factor in these things into your daily life? No, you shouldn't. But the world and society isn't like that.

These kind of attacks happen and will always happen. No amount of preemptive policing can eradicate them.

It's a shitty world we live in where a simple stroll can get to our killed."

Exactly my thought. No one should have to feel vulnerable. But there are evil people in our world. So precautions should be taken.

However, this case has sadly proven that even precautions such as, I assume, running in daylight rather than after dark isn't enough to stop the evil.

I hope the person who did it is caught and punished. I wish it hadn't happened.

And I wish there weren't evil people in the world.

But I am going to say.... it is not all men. It isn't even a majority of men. And not all men should be made to feel like shit just because a minority of people are bad people.

That's not a discussion. "

Can't claim to have read all of those threads but, in those that I have, there was a good number of guys well aware of how women feel when they're out, with some adapting their behaviour to seem less of a threat if possible. I found that surprising and comforting.

I have a son and a daughter and will be worried for both of them as they grow up and venture out more.

"

---

----

The right self defence class is absolutely worth it."

But it should be provided for, not being expected

Im happy to pay for yoga and Pole classes because I want to do them, I wouldn’t want to take a defence class because I feel like I should in order to feel safe when walking from A to B….

w

"

---

----

Im happy to pay for yoga and Pole classes because I want to do them, I wouldn’t want to take a defence class because I feel like I should in order to feel safe when walking from A to B…. "

I feel like you’ve just parroted the exact point I made in the thing you quoted

“ There’s also the dilemma that it puts the emphasis on the women protecting herself, instead of creating a system/society that protects everyone. You shouldn’t need to learn how to fight to feel safe in a society ”

In case you skimmed the replies and didn’t see that part

"

---

----

Im happy to pay for yoga and Pole classes because I want to do them, I wouldn’t want to take a defence class because I feel like I should in order to feel safe when walking from A to B….

“ There’s also the dilemma that it puts the emphasis on the women protecting herself, instead of creating a system/society that protects everyone. You shouldn’t need to learn how to fight to feel safe in a society ”

In case you skimmed the replies and didn’t see that part "

I agree with you and your point is totally valid

I've never been one to change my behaviours because of the what ifs. I'll walk alone day or night without too much thought but now having a teenage daughter, I worry for her and would be horrified if she walked home alone at night.

It saddens me that because there are so many evil people out there we even have to think about whether it's safe to walk alone.

I have no idea what the answer is

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

Not a popular answer, but that's what it is. "

How!

Paradise, Herts

"

---

----

In case you skimmed the replies and didn’t see that part "

No you shouldn’t! And nobody’s saying you should. Of course you shouldn’t but unfortunately you do. I don’t have that attitude that I refuse to take self defence lessons because I shouldn’t have to or my kids shouldn’t have to. I will do whatever I can to protect them. And no of course I shouldn’t have to!

By *jorkishMan  over a year ago

Seaforth

"

---

----

No you shouldn’t! And nobody’s saying you should. Of course you shouldn’t but unfortunately you do. I don’t have that attitude that I refuse to take self defence lessons because I shouldn’t have to or my kids shouldn’t have to. I will do whatever I can to protect them. And no of course I shouldn’t have to!"

henley on thames

"I've never been one to change my behaviours because of the what ifs. I'll walk alone day or night without too much thought but now having a teenage daughter, I worry for her and would be horrified if she walked home alone at night.

It saddens me that because there are so many evil people out there we even have to think about whether it's safe to walk alone.

I have no idea what the answer is"

We should all be able to go wherever we want to, whenever we want to, and be completely safe.

But that is not the world I grew up in. There were parts of my home city that I wouldn’t set foot in when I lived there, and pubs and nightclubs that I wouldn’t go to. And living in other cities (London, Paris, New York), I have had similar behaviours, avoiding areas and venues that I feel might ne unsafe.

Does that mean I am victim-shaming? No.

Should I have to alter my behaviours like this? No

Did altering my behaviours make me completely safe in any of those cities? No.

Utterly tragic that someone should be attacked like this and that people should ever feel unsafe.

w

"

---

----

No you shouldn’t! And nobody’s saying you should. Of course you shouldn’t but unfortunately you do. I don’t have that attitude that I refuse to take self defence lessons because I shouldn’t have to or my kids shouldn’t have to. I will do whatever I can to protect them. And no of course I shouldn’t have to!"

Kinda like how until we eliminate stealing we will continue to make doors with locks on

No one wants to bolt their house and car doors shut and carry keys everywhere they go

But as long as the threat exists, it’s probably smart to take precautions

It’s not fair, but it’s the reality until we can fix things

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

I am not aware of the details of the murder but have these thoughts on the general thread .

Were extra funding given to police forces I would anticipate that it would be easily absorbed by needs that trumped ( in their eyes) putting more policemen on streets.(I never see police other than in cars or in city centres) . I doubt that the " walking beat" even exists now .

Secondly it is incumbent on all men to think about women's safety when you see a woman alone on the street . This means not approaching her but at the same time considering her safety whilst she is within your sight.

henley on thames

"You are absolutely correct.

However, we have to be mindful that there will always be broken, damaged, damn nasty and evil people walking amongst us.

"

Very true. It is human instinct to try to explain away birders and convince ourselves that if we take the right steps, take the right precautions, it won’t happen to us. Bjt we can’t eliminate danger completely. Dangerous people and situations are not always obvious, and we can not avoid them completely.

The case being referred to is in a sleepy midlands town in Ireland. Wouldn’t cross anyone’s mind that they might be in danger, at any hour of the day or night. That is what makes it so shocking. All murders are sad and unacceptable, but this one stands out.

"

I'd like that too. I have boys and a girl and it would be awesome. Couldn't afford to send them all to classes though. "

Thats why it should be provided for , if that’s the situation we find ourselves in

BSE

Rightly so.

I wondered how long before a man would try and move this away from the safety of women and make it about men. If you want a thread about that then make one. Shameful "

If you read my post again you will see i mentioned women as well. Prostitutes are women first.

My point wasn't about men, it was about a society that chooses to value a pretty woman or child's life over that of one that less fits the ideal.

It is the media who choose which victims to highlight and eulogies about. Its they who make the choices that colour everyone's judgement on the value of a life.

Please don't mistake my post as simple misogyny.

I won't take self defence classes, because in all honesty, if someone is hell bent on doing me harm, then they'd probably be able to if they got a hold of me.

I will continue to take what I deem reasonable precautions so I can go about living my life in a way that means I'm not overcome with fear of going out on my own in the dark or any other time.

Over 50 posts since my simple question of 'So what do we do about it?' and not a single constructive answer. This tells me that we already know that some things are beyond our control, so all we can do is prepare for it. It's the real world. No, you shouldn't have to, but that's in an ideal world, and we don't have that.

w

"

I'd like that too. I have boys and a girl and it would be awesome. Couldn't afford to send them all to classes though.

Thats why it should be provided for , if that’s the situation we find ourselves in "

Like I said in my original comment on martial arts, it’ll never be offered like that because pound god pound it’s just not useful enough

That money would be better spent on police funding. As I said, I’d see woman that had been doing martial arts for years get mauled by relatively new guys

How many martial arts classes do you think you’d need to properly protect yourself from a guy that’s a foot taller and 100lbs heavier than you?

Plus, that’s not to mention that absolute hysteria and rave offering that would cause. Can you imagine the headlines?

“Boris introduces women a self defence classes in response to violence aimed at women”

No sane politician is ever going to push that because it’s a sure fire way to lose your job

So what do you propose to improve women's safety, so that they don't even have to consider it when they do whatever activity? I am genuinely interested."

I believe that since your comment there has been discussion about police numbers and training as well as self defence classes in school. If you were genuinely interested you could also make suggestions?

That's not a discussion.

Can't claim to have read all of those threads but, in those that I have, there was a good number of guys well aware of how women feel when they're out, with some adapting their behaviour to seem less of a threat if possible. I found that surprising and comforting.

I have a son and a daughter and will be worried for both of them as they grow up and venture out more."

This is part of the problem. Why on earth would it surprise you that many men are aware of how women feel? Why on earth is it a surprise that many men feel awkward as fuck walking down a street with a lone woman? How hard can it be to understand that years of constant media coverage of patriarchy male violence and male on female domestic violence etc that there is not a man out there that isn't aware of the problem. If all men are aware then to be surprised that some (actually, most) care enough to to try not to be part of the problem is to express surprise that men care. That is the sad reality. We have been taught to believe that half the population are predators who don't care about others.

This isn't meant to attack you. I'm not surprised that you're surprised. Since being a little girl almost every reference to strange men will have been to warn of how dangerous they are, how they're not to be trusted, how they are to be considered a threat, while conversely media portrays that a woman hitting a man, lashing out and kicking him etc because he's upset or hurt her feelings in some way is perfectly normal, often comedic.

Unfortunately, to point out that marginalising a group never ever helps to resolve problems and invariably increases feelings of hostility is of course just me being a misogynistic man. This is why threads like these descend into arguments, not because anyone thinks what happened to that poor woman is ok but that the thrust of the thread is to blame men for the problem. She was a human, killed by another human. The problem is with our humanity not our genitals.

Mr

Crack on.

Inferring that women who say there are many decent men are just trying to get a fuck is pretty warped.

w

Crack on.

What I can’t stand in ‘women’ is those that disregard very serious issues but making it about a man. Perhaps your happy to cater to them, but I’m not. It’s crazy to come on to a woman’s safety thread, as a woman, and stroke a mans ego. Are you that dependant? I don’t hate anyone, but I do hate weakness.

Inferring that women who say there are many decent men are just trying to get a fuck is pretty warped. "

Sounds pretty misogynistic to me

This thread got pretty tedious pretty fast.

It went from a semi vague condolence post (with veiled digs at men)

To just outright bellendedness.

"Over 50 posts since my simple question of 'So what do we do about it?' and not a single constructive answer. This tells me that we already know that some things are beyond our control, so all we can do is prepare for it. It's the real world. No, you shouldn't have to, but that's in an ideal world, and we don't have that. "

It's a simple question with no simple answer. My only answer is education. UK society is made up of many cultures, sub-cultures and societal groups. Not all of them traditionally see women as equals and this is where education can help. Don't get me wrong, I know that men from all cultures are capable of violence against women, but if you can educate some of the people with a particular emphasis on changing traditionally held beliefs and attitudes, without fear of being wrongly accused of discrimination, I feel this may go some way to improving the lives of women, and UK society in general.

henley on thames

Crack on.

You “hate weakness”? That’s a pretty ugly statement

By *igJFromSAMan  over a year ago

Woking

While I believe that men can do more to make women feel safer while out and about and can self-police eachother when we see potentially harmful habits forming in friends, there will unfortunately always be outliers and outcasts who can't be deterred. If any women would like to be better prepared for people like that I'd recommend reading "The little black book of violence." It mainly focuses on situational awareness and ways to avoid conflict, because honestly if a situation comes to physical violence a few self defence classes won't help. I've lent my copy to a few friends who suffered assaults and they all said it helped them feel safer.

Crack on.

Inferring that women who say there are many decent men are just trying to get a fuck is pretty warped. "

Yep, it's insulting to the intelligence of women. And after all the shit posted on this threadis the most misogynistic thing I've read.

Paradise, Herts

Crack on.

Inferring that women who say there are many decent men are just trying to get a fuck is pretty warped.

Yep, it's insulting to the intelligence of women. And after all the shit posted on this threadis the most misogynistic thing I've read.

"

That's not a discussion.

I have a son and a daughter and will be worried for both of them as they grow up and venture out more.

This is part of the problem. Why on earth would it surprise you that many men are aware of how women feel? Why on earth is it a surprise that many men feel awkward as fuck walking down a street with a lone woman? How hard can it be to understand that years of constant media coverage of patriarchy male violence and male on female domestic violence etc that there is not a man out there that isn't aware of the problem. If all men are aware then to be surprised that some (actually, most) care enough to to try not to be part of the problem is to express surprise that men care. That is the sad reality. We have been taught to believe that half the population are predators who don't care about others.

This isn't meant to attack you. I'm not surprised that you're surprised. Since being a little girl almost every reference to strange men will have been to warn of how dangerous they are, how they're not to be trusted, how they are to be considered a threat, while conversely media portrays that a woman hitting a man, lashing out and kicking him etc because he's upset or hurt her feelings in some way is perfectly normal, often comedic.

Unfortunately, to point out that marginalising a group never ever helps to resolve problems and invariably increases feelings of hostility is of course just me being a misogynistic man. This is why threads like these descend into arguments, not because anyone thinks what happened to that poor woman is ok but that the thrust of the thread is to blame men for the problem. She was a human, killed by another human. The problem is with our humanity not our genitals.

Mr"

I'm not in the least surprised that there are men who will be aware of lone women at night and try to help them feel safer. I don't see all men as predators. Many women on this site will agree. The OP did make some comments about men's attitudes on previous threads but I haven't seen them echoed by other women. But this was a murder of a woman by a man in broad daylight - yes violence against women will be a theme. If it's not about genitals why are people with penises the ones who commit a huge majority of violent acts and sexual abuse in the UK?

If anyone wanted to start a thread in male violence against males or knife crime, I'd be happy to post and not mention violence against women. I'd like to know more and to speak of my sadness that this is such an epidemic. To contribute to suggestions of how to deal with these issues. I just ask that when a woman is killed by a man in horrific circumstances that the discussion can BE about violence against women.

By *ingly_minx1Woman  over a year ago

Lincoln

If men really want to help stop this kind of thing they need to call out their mates when they behave inappropriately. Sexist jokes, catcalling, lecherous comments, any objectification of women - especially celebrities, how they treat their gf/wife/daughter.

Also, look at yourself and how you Interact with women on this site. Half of the time it's a meat-market here and women are reduced to holes used for male pleasure. Don't get me started on schoolgirl outfit kinks or sexy secretary fetishes.

The first thing we need to do as a society is respect women and actually see them as full, independent (of men), human beings.

By *ld StrumpetWoman  over a year ago

Telford

one half talking about women and the other arguing all people… it sounds all to familiar does it not?

Unfortunately we are living within a world right now where many of the human race make lives difficult for others with no care and while debates like these continue we put safety measure in place for our own peace of mind.

Be it with routines we act out each day, personal care for self or loved ones, even mental health and well being or simply physical implements like locks and self defence ect.

Is there a solution to a harmonious perfect nirvana I doubt it. Good people will continue to be good and bad will stay rotten. It makes me incredibly sad that for an intelligent race how we turn in each other.

If reincarnation is indeed real and anyone knows of a non human animal that is peace living hit me up because I sure as fuck don’t want to come back as another one of these

It’s extremely sad and heartbreaking

Belfast

That's not a discussion.

I have a son and a daughter and will be worried for both of them as they grow up and venture out more."

I've never adjusted my behaviour because all of the advice being given involves things I do instinctively and have done all my life.

I don't stand too close, I always put distance between myself and a woman/elderly/vulnerable person. I'm always aware of how my presence alone can be perceived as a threat not because of my actions but simply because I'm a man.

I don't wolf whistle or make sexual comments to women. In fab terms I've never sent an abusive or sexual message to anyone or condoned it in the forums.

I've called people out for their behaviour. I've disciplined staff for inappropriate behaviour and comments and been physically attacked on one ocasion for doing so.

I've fought long and hard for womens rights in the workplace.

I have 3 daughters who all learned martial arts from the age of 8 not for protection but for self esteem reasons.

They are now in their late 20s and early 30s and in all that time the only abuse either verbal or physical they have ever encountered has been from other young women under the influence of something or other.

Going back therefore to my last point, I have asked on other threads what someone like me can do to help. I've detailed all of the above and said as it is all second nature and instinctive to me , how can I teach that to other men who don't even take the time to read profiles in here.

The responses I got in each of those threads were full of vitriol and hatred. I was asked if I wanted a fucking medal and why would I ask stupid questions. Instead of wasting my time on here I should be doing more.

Therefore in my opinion threads like this are not about discussion.

Very many threads like this use copied and pasted comments from social media.

We only ever hear about knife crime when it suits the agenda.

Crack on.

Sounds pretty misogynistic to me "

I’m surprised you’re even commenting to be honest. You are someone I refer to in my opening post, and it’s why I’ve blocked you. Because when there was an outcry from another woman’s murder, you were one of the ones saying she shouldn’t have walked home, she’s shouldn’t have had a drink, she shouldn’t have done this, she shouldn’t have done that. She should have done more to make herself safe.

Bullshit

[Removed by poster at 15/01/22 13:40:38]

That's not a discussion.

Mr"

I can't explain why I was pleasantly surprised. Life experiences I suppose. Despite having good male role models in my life, I've also had some very negative experiences of men which have formed my opinion of them.

Didn't take anything that you said as an attack . You make a lot of valid points

w

Crack on.

I’m surprised you’re even commenting to be honest. You are someone I refer to in my opening post, and it’s why I’ve blocked you. Because when there was an outcry from another woman’s murder, you were one of the ones saying she shouldn’t have walked home, she’s shouldn’t have had a drink, she shouldn’t have done this, she shouldn’t have done that. She should have done more to make herself safe.

Bullshit "

I’m not the only one pointing out your misogynistic comments

But I’m the only one you’ve taken issue with. I wonder why

Crack on.

Bullshit

But I’m the only one you’ve taken issue with. I wonder why "

It’s the penis.

Definitely the penis.

Crack on.

Bullshit

But I’m the only one you’ve taken issue with. I wonder why "

Because none of the other people who have posted tried to suggest that if a woman did things differently then it wouldn’t have happened. You did. You have a short memory.

w

Crack on.

Bullshit

Because none of the other people who have posted tried to suggest that if a woman did things differently then it wouldn’t have happened. You did. You have a short memory. "

And your a misogynist so

Crack on.

Bullshit

Because none of the other people who have posted tried to suggest that if a woman did things differently then it wouldn’t have happened. You did. You have a short memory.

And your a misogynist so "

Actually the word would be misandrist. ANYWAY yes I remember your comments Thicc but I can also see you being fair and making genuine suggestions and comments in this thread (and others). Perhaps we could just judge people by current behaviour and not constantly hark back to previous threads?

Crack on.

Bullshit

And your a misogynist so "

Yeah I thought you’d go quiet. I comment on so few posts that I’ve just been able to check comments you made….

You said…

Women shouldn’t get d*unk because then they can’t look after themselves…

Women would be much safer if they just stayed at home.

Women would be safer if they didn’t walk home and get taxis instead.

The list goes on.

w

Crack on.

Bullshit

And your a misogynist so

Actually the word would be misandrist. ANYWAY yes I remember your comments Thicc but I can also see you being fair and making genuine suggestions and comments in this thread (and others). Perhaps we could just judge people by current behaviour and not constantly hark back to previous threads? "

I’d argue suggesting that women are weak for supporting men is misogynistic as others in this thread have pointed out

w

Crack on.

Bullshit

And your a misogynist so

Yeah I thought you’d go quiet. I comment on so few posts that I’ve just been able to check comments you made….

You said…

Women shouldn’t get d*unk because then they can’t look after themselves…

Women would be much safer if they just stayed at home.

Women would be safer if they didn’t walk home and get taxis instead.

The list goes on. "

My opinions have changed, hence my comments on this post

Your being a misogynist today

Get better.

A woman was murdered in Ireland this week. Her name was Aishling Murphy.

Crack on.

Bullshit

And your a misogynist so

Actually the word would be misandrist. ANYWAY yes I remember your comments Thicc but I can also see you being fair and making genuine suggestions and comments in this thread (and others). Perhaps we could just judge people by current behaviour and not constantly hark back to previous threads?

I’d argue suggesting that women are weak for supporting men is misogynistic as others in this thread have pointed out "

Again diverting. If women need to stroke men’s egos on here then that’s up to them. I really couldn’t care less what you label it as.

FFS

w

Crack on.

Bullshit

And your a misogynist so

I’d argue suggesting that women are weak for supporting men is misogynistic as others in this thread have pointed out

Again diverting. If women need to stroke men’s egos on here then that’s up to them. I really couldn’t care if I’m misogynistic.

"

Crack on.

Bullshit

And your a misogynist so

I’d argue suggesting that women are weak for supporting men is misogynistic as others in this thread have pointed out "

Ageed, Misandry is when derogatory comments are made against men

Misogyny is derogatory comments about women, which was made when it was stated that 'women are only agreeing with the men so they can get a fuck' that is a misogynistic comment regardless of the gender who stated it

Crack on.

Bullshit

And your a misogynist so

Ageed, Misandry is when derogatory comments are made against men

Misogyny is derogatory comments about women, which was made when it was stated that 'women are only agreeing with the men so they can get a fuck' that is a misogynistic comment regardless of the gender who stated it"

Ok. My bad. Can we move on now?

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Rightly so.

All these men being killed by women, are they? Unless the answer is yes, you’d have been better off saying nothing at all.

w

"FFS"

Ok for you I’ll get off the hate train

Some decent comments about self defence classes, better police funding and overall societal changes

I’ve seen someone once mention the decriminalisation of certain protective methods. Things like pepper spray are banned in the UK

Again, it’s not the full answer because it’s placing the emphasis on women to protect themselves instead of fixing the problem

But would any woman feel safer if they were legally allowed to carry pepper spray?

It’s lethal. A well aimed shot of pepper spray would incapacitate even the biggest guy.

But currently in the UK carry pepper spray holds a pretty hefty sentence.

"FFS

Some decent comments about self defence classes, better police funding and overall societal changes

I’ve seen someone once mention the decriminalisation of certain protective methods. Things like pepper spray are banned in the UK

Again, it’s not the full answer because it’s placing the emphasis on women to protect themselves instead of fixing the problem

But would any woman feel safer if they were legally allowed to carry pepper spray?

It’s lethal. A well aimed shot of pepper spray would incapacitate even the biggest guy.

But currently in the UK carry pepper spray holds a pretty hefty sentence. "

Thank you. I also spotted a campaign by Andy Burnham to tackle sexual harassment in Greater Manchester #IsThisOk?

I liked this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59698000

"FFS

Thank you. I also spotted a campaign by Andy Burnham to tackle sexual harassment in Greater Manchester #IsThisOk?

I liked this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59698000"

Ah yes! I saw this last year, they should put it on tv.

Not sure if I saw one in Scotland too.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Rightly so.

I wondered how long before a man would try and move this away from the safety of women and make it about men. If you want a thread about that then make one. Shameful "

I'm in favour of what was said in the post above yours. It's important to listen to the opinions/knowledge of others. We don't have to believe it but we do ourselves no favours by not listening.

I agree to an extent with what is said in the post.

The problem is general in society. It is a problem of violence per se.

Not realistic either, because I think no amount of social conditioning or dismantling of the patriarchy is gonna stop monsters being monsters"

I think we have to try.

w

"FFS

I liked this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59698000"

It’s a good video! Get that in schools !

Last year I went out with a bunch of guys from work and the behaviour of some of the was atrocious. They met a few very d*unk girls and got them to come back to the flat with them. I wasn’t drinking and was watching what was unfolding. Eventually I convinced one of the lesser d*unk girls to get her very d*unk friend (far too d*unk to consent) to go home with her. The guys were 100% going to take advantage. I offered them both a lift home and dropped them off

No surprise but they’ve not invited me out again. Which isn’t an issue, it was cringe as fuck being associated with them when we were out as they just didn’t care if girls were interested or not.

I think most guys are good guys, so it’s shocking when you see that kinda stuff. And it’s easy to not get involved.

"FFS

I liked this.

Not sure if I saw one in Scotland too. "

Yes Police Scotland as well. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/14/dont-be-that-guy-activists-praise-campaign-tackling-sexual-violence

And TUC/Unison etc launched one. Plus TFL and there was one around female students. I think there ought to be a nationwide attempt to tackle it in schools given the high rate of sexual assaults that are reported.

"FFS

I liked this.

It’s a good video! Get that in schools !

Last year I went out with a bunch of guys from work and the behaviour of some of the was atrocious. They met a few very d*unk girls and got them to come back to the flat with them. I wasn’t drinking and was watching what was unfolding. Eventually I convinced one of the lesser d*unk girls to get her very d*unk friend (far too d*unk to consent) to go home with her. The guys were 100% going to take advantage. I offered them both a lift home and dropped them off

No surprise but they’ve not invited me out again. Which isn’t an issue, it was cringe as fuck being associated with them when we were out as they just didn’t care if girls were interested or not.

I think most guys are good guys, so it’s shocking when you see that kinda stuff. And it’s easy to not get involved. "

They may be egged on by each other and not really thinking. Certainly not an excuse though. You did a good thing.

Rightly so.

I wondered how long before a man would try and move this away from the safety of women and make it about men. If you want a thread about that then make one. Shameful

I'm in favour of what was said in the post above yours. It's important to listen to the opinions/knowledge of others. We don't have to believe it but we do ourselves no favours by not listening.

The problem is general in society. It is a problem of violence per se. "

But violence is committed in the main by men.

I’m so glad this thread is nearly full.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

"

But violence is committed in the main by men. "

The definition of an inconvenient truth.

"FFS

I liked this.

Not sure if I saw one in Scotland too.

Yes Police Scotland as well. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/14/dont-be-that-guy-activists-praise-campaign-tackling-sexual-violence

And TUC/Unison etc launched one. Plus TFL and there was one around female students. I think there ought to be a nationwide attempt to tackle it in schools given the high rate of sexual assaults that are reported. "

Rightly so.

The problem is general in society. It is a problem of violence per se.

But violence is committed in the main by men. "

The problem is male violence. And that is everyone's problem.

Bring back decent old school punishment