FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Trying to improve my abs

Trying to improve my abs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackdaw52 OP   Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

I've been trying the improve the appearance of my abs for a couple of years now but without results.

If I flex my abs my stomach is hard and flat, but if its totally relaxed I get a noticeable bulge.

The strange thing is I can easily lift 80kg on the crunch machine, 100kg on a good day.

After some advice I started a punishing new ab circuit which made them much stronger but not flatter.

Then I read that weak back muscles can cause stomach bulge, so I strengthened those.

Another expert said I need to reduce body fat which I'm currently doing. But there's very little fat on me anyway.

I'm starting to wonder if the bulge is caused by bloating and just the mass of my internal organs?

I never drink fizzy drinks or alcohol and I don't think I'm coeliac.

Any ideas? I'm stumped!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I've been trying the improve the appearance of my abs for a couple of years now but without results.

If I flex my abs my stomach is hard and flat, but if its totally relaxed I get a noticeable bulge.

The strange thing is I can easily lift 80kg on the crunch machine, 100kg on a good day.

After some advice I started a punishing new ab circuit which made them much stronger but not flatter.

Then I read that weak back muscles can cause stomach bulge, so I strengthened those.

Another expert said I need to reduce body fat which I'm currently doing. But there's very little fat on me anyway.

I'm starting to wonder if the bulge is caused by bloating and just the mass of my internal organs?

I never drink fizzy drinks or alcohol and I don't think I'm coeliac.

Any ideas? I'm stumped! "

ShagTonight is your man.

One thing i wanna ask, when you do an ab workout, such as crunches, is your stomach pushing up and out, or are you purposely sucking it inwards?

As you perform the rep, you train the muscle to contract in a certain way, by pushing up and out during a crunch, it causes the ab muscles to form that particular bulge. Sucking your stomach in will help the muscles to tone without creating that bulge

It’s diet OP abs are visible around sub 15% body fat

Also judging by your pics, i dont have the eye for guessing body fat %, but id say you actually have a lot more than you think

I dont intend to be hurtful when i say this, i can see a fair amount of "love handle" going on, which suggests to me that you have a fair bit of body fat to actually burn off to achieve the desired result

So with what i said previously, keeping your stomach tucked in during ab workouts, and losing a few % more body fat, over the course of 2-3 months you should see a more noticeable difference in your abs, provided you workout regularly enough

By *ob08Man  over a year ago

Macclesfield

"It’s diet OP abs are visible around sub 15% body fat "

This, you can't spot reduce specific areas, doing loads of crunches will not give you abs, a mixture of cardio and compound lifts will over time, but your diet also has to be on point and it may take alot longer than you think.

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

"It’s diet OP abs are visible around sub 15% body fat "

I was going to mention diet

Chesterfield

"Also judging by your pics, i dont have the eye for guessing body fat %, but id say you actually have a lot more than you think

I dont intend to be hurtful when i say this, i can see a fair amount of "love handle" going on, which suggests to me that you have a fair bit of body fat to actually burn off to achieve the desired result

So with what i said previously, keeping your stomach tucked in during ab workouts, and losing a few % more body fat, over the course of 2-3 months you should see a more noticeable difference in your abs, provided you workout regularly enough"

No, that's OK! I need the truth so I can get results.

I'm improving my diet which included a moderate amount of simple carbs and quite a bit of sugar!

I didn't know about good crunching form, do I'll give that a try.

Thanks, all!

"Also judging by your pics, i dont have the eye for guessing body fat %, but id say you actually have a lot more than you think

So with what i said previously, keeping your stomach tucked in during ab workouts, and losing a few % more body fat, over the course of 2-3 months you should see a more noticeable difference in your abs, provided you workout regularly enough

I'm improving my diet which included a moderate amount of simple carbs and quite a bit of sugar!

Thanks, all!"

Noooo cut down on that sugar, even an amount most ppl think is acceptable is too much.

Obviously diet is essential to maintaining a good physique, the right diet will work for you depending on how much you workout and what sort of physique youre aiming for.

However, workout form is absolutely necessary to working your muscles in the right way, even guys who have an excellent diet and workout regime still end up getting that stomach bulge even with very well toned abs, thats when it boils down to their form, which i believe is something you really need to consider to eliminate your problem, aside from the obvious things like diet and fat loss

B38

Thanks, all!

Noooo cut down on that sugar, even an amount most ppl think is acceptable is too much.

Obviously diet is essential to maintaining a good physique, the right diet will work for you depending on how much you workout and what sort of physique youre aiming for.

However, workout form is absolutely necessary to working your muscles in the right way, even guys who have an excellent diet and workout regime still end up getting that stomach bulge even with very well toned abs, thats when it boils down to their form, which i believe is something you really need to consider to eliminate your problem, aside from the obvious things like diet and fat loss"

Off topic so apologies to the OP.

But...your abs..stomach...look great.

Even though you may not be able to visually see the results you are probably working the inside out.

If your gym has a Boditrax (Hospitals use these) machine then make the most of it, it measures body stats, such as % of fat in your body inc visceral fat. Your body mass and the % of bone and other elements that make up your body. Your build and your fitness age.

Only been using the gym for a couple of weeks and really pleased with my stats. Looking forward to checking in a month to see my progress....

B38

"Even though you may not be able to visually see the results you are probably working the inside out.

If your gym has a Boditrax (Hospitals use these) machine then make the most of it, it measures body stats, such as % of fat in your body inc visceral fat. Your body mass and the % of bone and other elements that make up your body. Your build and your fitness age.

Only been using the gym for a couple of weeks and really pleased with my stats. Looking forward to checking in a month to see my progress....

"

Never heard if that machine ...the gym's I've used have not had them.

I wouldn't mind using one.

As they say Abs are built in the kitchen not in the gym. I lost 2 stone when first lockdown hit and I could notice my abs in the morning, only slightly but noticed, and I've never been to a gym lol

My gym has a corevue body fat scanner which you connect your phone to. It scans your body and tells you how much muscle is in each arm, leg, core & body fat , visceral fat.

It tells you your BMR which is good to know for a diet programme…

"Even though you may not be able to visually see the results you are probably working the inside out.

I wouldn't mind using one."

Ladywood leisure centre has one.

[Removed by poster at 13/01/22 21:33:26]

B38

I wouldn't mind using one.

Ladywood leisure centre has one. "

.thanks

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

You have too much body fat

Get leaner

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

OP your probably in the 20-25% range in terms of body fat. As mentioned, sub 15 is where you need to go and it's going to require a monster effort as well.

By *egoMan  over a year ago

Preston

Abs are all body fat %.

Excessive ab exercise will only bloat them.

As long as your core is stable, they are strong enough.

One thing I did learn recently, I was breathing wrong.

When crunches etc. suck air in as you elevate, blow out when you relax. Seems counter intuitive but my belly seemed to benefit.

Stop eating sugar lol. Plenty of macro nutrients, but maintain a calorie deficit.

I don’t really care about washboard stomachs, just picked up all this while training for strongman, so different goals but shared knowledge.

By *egoMan  over a year ago

Preston

Could be loose skin to, have you lost quite a bit of weight at some point?

That requires different measures to fix. Like pin wheels and vitC serum.

But talk to your local beauty parlour. They usually have some tricks.

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

I'm around 5.3% body fat, your best bet is to do lots of planks that specifically target abs

"I'm around 5.3% body fat, your best bet is to do lots of planks that specifically target abs "

The generic plank everyone knows of? Cos that doesnt do shit for most of the key areas it supposedly targets, and it doesnt improve posture as almost everyone does it with their shoulders pushed forward. Reverse planks are far more effective. But planks are nowhere near as effective as combination workouts for ab training

Llanelli

"I'm around 5.3% body fat, your best bet is to do lots of planks that specifically target abs

The generic plank everyone knows of? Cos that doesnt do shit for most of the key areas it supposedly targets, and it doesnt improve posture as almost everyone does it with their shoulders pushed forward. Reverse planks are far more effective. But planks are nowhere near as effective as combination workouts for ab training"

There's lots of different planks and if you engage your core and keep the right posture they are very effective

I wouldn't mind using one."

Do it! It's interesting to see the results

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

Planks won't make abs visible, not matter how effective(or not).

I use to work out obsessively, no abs.

Then I stopped, but I ate healthier and cut back loads on calories, abs!

All gone to shit now though as I refound my love of wine and chocolate, but they were there for a little while!

By *rad670Man  over a year ago

South Lakes

It's quicker to lose your abs that get them back and as much about fat percentage as excersise. I believe it's very difficult to maintain such a low percentage of body fat to reveal your abs especially as you get older. We all have abs, it's just a matter of them being covered most if the time.

"I use to work out obsessively, no abs.

All gone to shit now though as I refound my love of wine and chocolate, but they were there for a little while!

"

Exactly abs are made in the kitchen

"I use to work out obsessively, no abs.

Exactly abs are made in the kitchen "

Unfortunately not using chocolate

My abs have been hibernating for about 5-6 years now, I’m leaving them to sleep

Llanelli

"Planks won't make abs visible, not matter how effective(or not). "

Well that's strange considering they're one of the best ways to burn calories but what do I know with my belly

"My abs have been hibernating for about 5-6 years now, I’m leaving them to sleep "

You have a hell of a weapon though so you're good

"My abs have been hibernating for about 5-6 years now, I’m leaving them to sleep

You have a hell of a weapon though so you're good"

Valid point

By *ancer36Woman  over a year ago

Stirling

I’ve worked out my entire life, dancing 5/6 times a week, ballet trainig etc never had visible abs, I’ve a strong core but never actually seen the infamous abs - probably eat too many carbs though.

I’d say you need good nutrition, full body strength training and cardio for them to pop through. Xx

B38

"I’ve worked out my entire life, dancing 5/6 times a week, ballet trainig etc never had visible abs, I’ve a strong core but never actually seen the infamous abs - probably eat too many carbs though.

I’d say you need good nutrition, full body strength training and cardio for them to pop through. Xx"

Not only do you look fit you really are fit

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple  over a year ago

Fucksville

Do fat people have abs underneath the cushioning... Asking for a friends who thinks abs is an anti skid braking system on her car...

By *ancer36Woman  over a year ago

Stirling

"I’ve worked out my entire life, dancing 5/6 times a week, ballet trainig etc never had visible abs, I’ve a strong core but never actually seen the infamous abs - probably eat too many carbs though.

I’d say you need good nutrition, full body strength training and cardio for them to pop through. Xx

Not only do you look fit you really are fit "

Aw thank you lovely xx

The best thing for me is dip bar and use it to do leg raises , stay away from heavy weights on your abs stay light with lots of Reps

B38

Not only do you look fit you really are fit

Aw thank you lovely xx"

You're welcome and so true xx

Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym

Time to change up what your eating

It’s the sad truth

"Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym

It’s the sad truth "

I have abs and my diet is shocking to say the least lol

B38

It’s the sad truth I have abs and my diet is shocking to say the least lol "

In the interest of fairness I did take a look..couldn't see em

It’s the sad truth I have abs and my diet is shocking to say the least lol

In the interest of fairness I did take a look..couldn't see em "

haha I could send you a few if you like

It’s the sad truth I have abs and my diet is shocking to say the least lol "

They made in the kitchen

And this is comeing from someone that sits above professional top 1% athletes

This comes from someone when the docs do they yearly check up tell you to get off what ever performance ehncers your on

My blood work is thought the roof reads like I am not clean

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Brakes are one of the most important parts of the car. I'd book it in the garage.

Chesterfield

Thanks all.

My BMI was exactly where it should be, so I didn't think I needed to lose weight. I did have a body composition test some years ago which came up just short of 20% body fat.

Anyway, I've got a much more active job now which will help, I've swapped some of my weights for cardio and I'm eating better.

I've heard mixed reviews of the plank, so I've dropped that from my circuit.

[Removed by poster at 13/01/22 22:47:34]

B38

"Thanks all.

My BMI was exactly where it should be, so I didn't think I needed to lose weight. I did have a body composition test some years ago which came up just short of 20% body fat.

Anyway, I've got a much more active job now which will help, I've swapped some of my weights for cardio and I'm eating better.

I've heard mixed reviews of the plank, so I've dropped that from my circuit. "

Good luck with it.

Come back and show us the results

B38

In the interest of fairness I did take a look..couldn't see em haha I could send you a few if you like "

Ooo could you ...it would be rude to refuse

They made in the kitchen rude! No performance enhancers hear love just pure dedication and work ethic I can assure you

And this is comeing from someone that sits above professional top 1% athletes

This comes from someone when the docs do they yearly check up tell you to get off what ever performance ehncers your on

My blood work is thought the roof reads like I am not clean

"

500 sit ups from 20kg in 100 a set droping 5kg a set only stoping to drop wight

When I had it at 300 I watched a bunch off current and retired ufc fighters attempt it and fail

Largely diet bring yourself under 12-15% body fat but not really sustainable (for me anyway) probably a goal for summer and get 6-8 weeks out of it

[Removed by poster at 13/01/22 22:49:44]

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

"It’s diet OP abs are visible around sub 15% body fat

I was going to mention diet "

Worth speaking to a good dietician to look at current diet and possible causes of bloating

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

People can get too hung up on diet. Enjoy going to the gym. Get your heart rate up, keep it regular, there'll be plateaus but at some point you'll see results.

"It’s diet OP abs are visible around sub 15% body fat

I was going to mention diet

Worth speaking to a good dietician to look at current diet and possible causes of bloating "

Check out the FODMAP

By *ookie_and_NookieCouple  over a year ago

Kent

You are simply carrying too much body fat to make your abs visable

No strength exercise will “tone” your abs, so sit ups, crunches, planks, etc are all useless in your quest for visible abs

The ONLY way is for you to reduce body fat, and the ONLY way to do that is a calorie deficit

So eat less, thats it.

You will be able to find a calorie calculator online, enter you age, height, weight etc. it will give your a daily calorie target for fat loss, count calories for EVERYTHING you eat and drink. Dont exceed your daily max

This means you can still eat pizza, chocolate,burgers, ice cream etc, just not lots of it!

Also BMI is not all that reliable in all cases, im 6’1, 230lbs so technically obese, but Im clearly not from my pics!

So there you have it, count calories, stay in a calorie deficit, fat will be burned.

Nookie (The husband)

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

Reduce all inflammatory foods.

No processed. No sugars. No seed oils or anything that is not ancestrally appropriate.

Whole foods cooked by yourself.

This allows the body to decrease retained fluid and also reduce body fat.

If your ancestors didn't eat it 5000 yrs ago then you shouldn't.

Move towards this way of eating and don't punish yourself if you mess up very occasionally.

Be wary of advice from people who are genetically gifted and have great abs. Or even lay people who appear to know what they about.

There are people making lots of money from the hand they were dealt by their genetics.

By *aiseiMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

TL;DR….. but “abs are made in the kitchen”, as the saying goes.

Don’t neglect your obliques, either; it’s not just about the main rectus abdominis group.

You can do 1000 sit ups & crunches a day for 10 years and see no difference. Abs are build in the kitchen. 70% of the year mine arent visibly profound, 30% of the year (summer months) they are after i cut. By cut i ditch carbs completely, zero takeaways, i eat boringly clean for afew months and they pop out.

Pics in my profile show the difference between pre & post cut

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

"Thanks all.

I've heard mixed reviews of the plank, so I've dropped that from my circuit. "

Don’t switch weights for cardio if your goal is fat loss. Keep the weights

Instead replace “fork pick ups” with “fork put downs”

Eat less, move more. Get leaner and your abs will pop

If you want DM me and I’ll send you a picture of me with zero direct ab training but low body fat. It’s all about the diet

» Add a new message to this topic