FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Could you date / disown someone with opposing political views?

Could you date / disown someone with opposing political views?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

You hear tales don’t you of people disowning families and loved ones over their Political views whether that be Brexit, approach to Coronavirus, Political Party allegiance or even the newspaper they read etc.

Have you disowned family or friends (or would you) over their views if they don’t align with yours?

Could YOU date sometime with opposing views?

I’m somewhere in the middle. Across my wider

Family there’s every political viewpoint you can think of from Right Wing to Left Wing but I won’t disown anyone if they don’t agree with me. However I don’t think I could date someone who’s ethics and values are consistently at odds with mine. There has to be a degree of alignment if we’re going to be together I guess.

What’s your thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

I don't give a damn about someone's political views. If I like them as a person that's all that counts

By *r SproutMan  over a year ago

the middle somewhere

Yes I could do that. Everyone has the right to an opinion no matter how wrong they are

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We are friends with people of all political persuasions, we ourselves are not on the electoral register, if we get on then we get on

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Depends. If they are abhorrent no.

But in all my time on here nobody has mentioned their politics at clubs, socials and one on ones.

Nobody has goose stepped into the room yet touch wood.

I wouldn’t even enter into a political conversation with someone if I’d met them from here.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Would not disown family and I have brexiters and Tories in mine! 2 of them my own children! Not sure where I went wrong lol! But no family will never be disowned! As for partners if they were gonna b long term and they had completely opposing views from mine then wouldnt get into a relationship as have done in past so no not gonna happen! For a casual meet then maybe x

By *erfectman122Man  over a year ago

from somewhere nice

If I like the person enough it’s not a problem

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I Could quite easily, Although I have quite strong political views if I liked someone I wouldn't let that stop me from having a relationship with them.

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

No, I couldn't date anyone who was too right wing,we would be totally different in our views and I like partners to have a similar code to me.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Disown no. I have plenty of friends with opposing views to me. On here too. Meeting someone from here I wouldn’t discuss politics anyway! Dating yeah it could make a difference. People with extreme political views either way I’ve found wouldn’t be my type of person x

I don't have such strong political views that I'm that bothered by someone else. Obviously if they advocate torturing puppies or something then we ain't gonna get on. Can't say I've ever disowned someone over something like this though. Thankfully I've never encountered complete nutters so haven't felt the need to.

"I don't have such strong political views that I'm that bothered by someone else. Obviously if they advocate torturing puppies or something then we ain't gonna get on. Can't say I've ever disowned someone over something like this though. Thankfully I've never encountered complete nutters so haven't felt the need to. "

And if encounter someone with extreme political views they are unlikely to want to associate with me anyway

My parents bullied me into voting for the party they support a few years ago, they hate me now as like i said I'm not on the voters register, oh well its their loss.

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

Family, meh! I don't have much to do with them anyway, so it doesn't really bother me what their views on anything are.

I couldn't have a relationship with anyone with completely opposing views, as that would mean we'd have totally different outlooks on life, which I don't think is particularly harmonious with a successful relationship.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"If I like the person enough it’s not a problem "

Same really, but if they are too right wing. I'm not going to like them, and they won't like me as I am outspoken.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Yes politics is not important to me

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks all, seems like most people are middle of the road and won’t let it harm friendships / relationships etc.

You do see people on Social Media that declare they found out their parents voted for Trump or whatever and hence they’ve permanently disowned them.. but I think that’s the minority!

I take it back. I wouldn't entertain anyone wanting to talk about Covid and especially the vaccine.

By *isbehavingWoman  over a year ago

Huntly

Family I could possibly put up with. I wouldn’t have to spend a great deal of time with them. A partner, absolutely not. Politics are part of our lives, our morals, beliefs, the way we choose to live our lives. If our views weren’t in-line, there wouldn’t be a relationship

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

My mother is a fully paid up, raving loony conspiracy theorist whose behaviour (past and ongoing) has caused deaths and continues to fracture the remaining family.

That's before we consider her behaviour and emotional abuse to us as children.

I have cut her out and have no qualms about doing so. I only can't yet absolutely and completely cease all contact because of legal obligations that I must fulfill. Once that's sorted, it's sayonara.

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

Couldn't care less what their political views are

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I was with my ex-wife for almost 30 years and neither of us knew what each others' political views were or who we voted for.

I suspect if we brought politics into our relationship, we wouldn't have lasted as long as we did.

Politics are personal, its a personal choice not to be persuaded on by others so yes i could... unless thay bring politics up and that goes with friends too, it politics come up im likely to say 'have a good night guys'and leave.

I detest pushy preachy types.

Political views wouldn't really concern me unless there was a racial element to it.

I tend to not deal with overly religious family members, it's a big gripe of mine.

Couldn't deal with having a Flat Earther in my life either.

I don’t date people that don’t cry at the death of Mufasa.

Or Nazis.

"I don’t date people that don’t cry at the death of Mufasa.

Or Nazis."

I mean “or nazis” separate, I don’t mean that I don’t date women who don’t also cry when Nazis die.

I feel that needed cleaning up.

It would depend how far away their views are from mine. If someone just voted for a different political party that would be fine. If they were joining the EDL and hailing Tommy Robinson as a god then I wouldn’t even entertain them.

I’ve seen things like “No Tories” on many a dating profile. I’m not one anyway but makes little difference

By *aliceWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

No Tories

I think a person’s political views would be irrelevant as long as they weren’t trying to project them on to me. I’d be more interested in the individual.

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple  over a year ago

Fucksville

Came for the cheese comments was disappointed....

I'm a pretty much died in the wool Labour voter and Ginge is a true blue tory. Neither of us hold particularly extreme views though and we agree on many things.

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

I wouldn’t family, I have some members of my family with opposing views to mine. It’s agreed we don’t ever talk politics.

For dating, tbh, no I couldn’t date someone who was very right wing or Tory. I’d like to think we’d be on the same page for things like that

Like others have said, it makes no difference to me so long as they don't push their own personal views on me. As far as I'm concerned they 'are all' overpaid con artists with their own political agenda anyway!

By *ark eyesMan  over a year ago

city center

I couldn't date someone strongly right wing or that help political views that I strongly oppose. Politics aren't something abstract when you're part of a marginalised group.

I couldn't disown anyone.

In regards to politics and dating - I don't even know who the tories are, that's how invested I am with politics. I'm not on the electoral register so I don't have a right to vote. I'd hope a relationship wasn't based around politics. I have some stronger views on other recent issues and Mr used to be the complete opposite, a sheep if you will. We're still married so I guess we can have differing views (although he's started looking at things from a different POV and open mind).

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It is very possible to exist in harmony with those who hold opposing views on all aspects of life.

It only becomes difficult when one person insists on 'airing' their views constantly and questioning yours when the time and place are not appropriate.

I steer clear of people who allow their beliefs to spill over into every conversation or social occassion.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Or Nazis.

I mean “or nazis” separate, I don’t mean that I don’t date women who don’t also cry when Nazis die.

"

Don't care about political views as long as they are not trying to force them on me

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

It depends on the person. If they have an amenable personality, then maybe.

But if, as I found on a date a couple month ago, she is unaccepting of other's rights to an opinion, it is impossible to avoid empasse.

So yes...or no.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

My mates wife is 'far left'. She is fine as long as politics are not mentioned...then she can get quite aggressive.

By *TK421-Man  over a year ago

Cheltenham

A close long term friend of mine is Troy and pro Brexit. We just avoid it wherever possible as we have so much else in common.

My family is all right, I'm the dark sheep of the bunch. The 'hippy'.

If I were meeting someone new it really would be about the person. If they started shoving stuff down my throat then it wouldn't evolve into anything.

(Maybe angry fucking the Tory out of them ).

I would expect the same treatment if I were ramming my views down people's throats.... Let's just enjoy the wine!

By *hristopherd999Man  over a year ago

Brentwood

It depends on how extreme their views are

Probably most my friends have different political views to mine.

I think it would be very hard to have a lasting relationship with somebody that had very different views though, at least on the big stuff and principles. You'd be forever arguing and pissing each other off.

More realistic is that people with opposing views change and adapt over time. I'm probably lucky in that my wife and I met when we were very young and although from very different backgrounds we've grown together.

I can imagine that would be more difficult if meeting somebody later in life when views are more entrenched.

For me political views are less an issue than moral stance. There are many problems we face as a society that don't have any fixed answer, that require compromise and we all have different ideas about what an ideal compromise is. Someone who is selfish, doesn't consider other people's feelings and doesnt care how they impact on others is a different question but this type of behaviour doesn't correlate particularly well with political persuasion.

I don't have a great deal of contact with my family who's right of centre approach to life grates on me though no where near as much as their casual racism and homophobia.

Mr

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

I think when it comes to family I would only disown someone for extreme views that I found disturbing.

With friends, I'm friends with people with quite a range of political views but I'd probably be less tolerant than I would be with family. If someone had political views that were in favour of causing harm to people I loved, yes I would struggle to be friends with them. For example, there are people who's political views are that many members of my family shouldn't be allowed to be in this country.

With partners, I'd say I'm even less flexible and it's more about wanting a relationship with someone who's on a similar wavelength to you and has similar ideologies. We don't have to agree on everything but I prefer us to have mostly similar beliefs. I've dated people in the past who had quite different political views and it just didn't work for me unless we just didn't talk about those things. I enjoy discussing the goings on in the world though.

One thing I will add though is that there are occasions where it doesn't actually matter how much your views differ, sometimes you can agree on 99% but if someone is really unpleasant in how they disagree on the 1%, I probably won't go to the lengths of disowning a family member over if but I probably won't want to be friends with them or date them.

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Stockport

I have friends who have different political beliefs, life is about variety after all. Having said that I'd find it difficult to maintain friendship with someone with extreme right wing views.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Or Nazis.

"

If we were that different with our political views to the point we started arguing about it, then yes I'd walk away x

» Add a new message to this topic