FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The DWP can monitor your social media

The DWP can monitor your social media

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

And bank accounts. I was surprised to know it as I just read that they have the "power" and could watch your social media profiles and bank account activity, whilst yes I do understand that they do it to see if there is any fraud going on, but still, that means that they might have your login info too, what do you think about it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Its important to believe everything you read

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

If you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about

By *ilda934Woman  over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

To be honest if your not willing to go out into the world work, you deserve nothing to many freeloaders

Someone's got a job for life!

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

They won't have your login info

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

So. What they gonna do? And how would they have my bank details?

"And bank accounts. I was surprised to know it as I just read that they have the "power" and could watch your social media profiles and bank account activity, whilst yes I do understand that they do it to see if there is any fraud going on, but still, that means that they might have your login info too, what do you think about it? "

Did you read it on Facebook?

Paradise, Herts

Can just imagine them sitting there on social media. Fuck me Tracey’s checked in at Sainsbury’s 3 times this week and been to the pub twice and a maccies! Reduce her benefits.

"They won't have your login info"
I thought so as well as they dont have them.

"And bank accounts. I was surprised to know it as I just read that they have the "power" and could watch your social media profiles and bank account activity, whilst yes I do understand that they do it to see if there is any fraud going on, but still, that means that they might have your login info too, what do you think about it?

Did you read it on Facebook?"

No. I read the news on reuters.

I was wondering who kept posting stuff from my account on here

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

I'm pretty certain they cannot just freely access bank details or social media without legitimate reason.

Otherwise it's a flat out breach of your rights to privacy.

"Someone's got a job for life!"
Yes they would as well have that.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

My friend works alongside this kinda stuff

No one’s looking at your bank details

If they are it’s because they should be

No one just has access to everyone’s bank details. There’s a method to this. You need reason, evidence, research. You can’t just click on a person and see what they’re doing

"I was wondering who kept posting stuff from my account on here "

I hope the dwp enjoyed all those vulva pictures I sent.

"And bank accounts. I was surprised to know it as I just read that they have the "power" and could watch your social media profiles and bank account activity, whilst yes I do understand that they do it to see if there is any fraud going on, but still, that means that they might have your login info too, what do you think about it?

Did you read it on Facebook?No. I read the news on reuters."

And on there it was on the express's site.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1543731/DWP-warning-benefit-fraud-bank-statements-social-media-check-UK-2022/amp?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=upday

By *ickshawedCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

They don't have your login details. There are rules. They can look a reasonable amount. And frankly any company or person can check your Facebook page if you don't have your privacy settings on. It's just that the DWP and other institutions can use it to see if you've posted that you've got a new job and where you might be working. It's a very useful tool.

By *wingamajigsCouple  over a year ago

Folkestone

They dont have your password however they do monitor fraud cases. An example would be a claim for a bad back and the claimant then posts on a social media site a film of said person participating in a sport.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

This "story" has been reported across numerous media news sites in the past month, but it only relates to specific people.

The DWP were stating they'd be monitoring bank account activity of clients receiving Universal Credit, Job Seekers Allowance & other Government Benefits.

It is an exercise to check if claimants have additional sources of income that weren't being declared or had reasonable legitimate proof of receipt, especially at Christmas, which can be an expensive time of year!

They have bank account details already, since they already pay benefits into them!

In short, if you are following Benefits rules and not deceiving the DWP, you've nothing to worry about.

Paradise, Herts

"This "story" has been reported across numerous media news sites in the past month, but it only relates to specific people.

The DWP were stating they'd be monitoring bank account activity of clients receiving Universal Credit, Job Seekers Allowance & other Government Benefits.

It is an exercise to check if claimants have additional sources of income that weren't being declared or had reasonable legitimate proof of receipt, especially at Christmas, which can be an expensive time of year!

They have bank account details already, since they already pay benefits into them!

In short, if you are following Benefits rules and not deceiving the DWP, you've nothing to worry about.

"

Seems fair enough then, good on em

Did you read it on Facebook?No. I read the news on reuters.And on there it was on the express's site.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1543731/DWP-warning-benefit-fraud-bank-statements-social-media-check-UK-2022/amp?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=upday"

"This "story" has been reported across numerous media news sites in the past month, but it only relates to specific people.

"

By *carborough_funCouple  over a year ago

Scarborough

utter bollox

Banks have access to a lot of information on customers that not many people realise we do.

You do agree for us to have it though when you open bank accounts or take out products, it's all in the terms and conditions.

For people that have them even your National Insurance Numbers holds certain information which a bank has access too and the DWP departments and other places.

But like others have said, we don't sit there all day having a browse through people's accounts, you need a reason to be doing so.

"I'm pretty certain they cannot just freely access bank details or social media without legitimate reason.

Otherwise it's a flat out breach of your rights to privacy. "

Your bank itself sends information to the Revenue/DWP every year!

"I was wondering who kept posting stuff from my account on here

I hope the dwp enjoyed all those vulva pictures I sent. "

They have rules to follow the same as anyone else, they cannot just log in to someone's bank account randomly. There has to be reasons. When you claim benefits, you have to provide proof of all your accounts and how much is in them.

I claimed tax credits when I first become a single parent. I had to prove what I earned and what I had at the time. If my wages changed one month for whatever reason, I had to tell them and show them my payslips. When they do get access it's for suspected fraud cases because some people like to screw the system. If they had the kind of access the op is claiming, there wouldn't be any benefit fraud because they would catch it straight away.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I meant to add in my earlier post, that the DWP monitor Social Media as often people can post messages, pictures and other information without thinking of any consequences!

It has been known for people who are on Benefits or receiving other Govt financial assistance, boasting on FB about their forthcoming foreign holiday, or one they'd just returned from.

Or the Benefits Cheats who claim Invalidity Benefits etc who stupidly post pics on FB or other sites, showing them dancing, partying, on holiday etc when supposedly they're in acute pain, can't walk ten steps before stopping in agony!

That's where the monitoring of Social Media comes in to check for Benefits Fraud.

By *uv2kissMan  over a year ago

fenland

"My friend works alongside this kinda stuff

No one’s looking at your bank details

If they are it’s because they should be

No one just has access to everyone’s bank details. There’s a method to this. You need reason, evidence, research. You can’t just click on a person and see what they’re doing "

My ex wife worked as a tax inspector, she told me once that if she so much at glances at my file without any legitimate reason she would be dismissed.

"Can just imagine them sitting there on social media. Fuck me Tracey’s checked in at Sainsbury’s 3 times this week and been to the pub twice and a maccies! Reduce her benefits. "

Tracey is living her best life

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

"I'm pretty certain they cannot just freely access bank details or social media without legitimate reason.

Otherwise it's a flat out breach of your rights to privacy.

Your bank itself sends information to the Revenue/DWP every year!

"

That’s slightly different though, it’s legitimate interest, whereas OP specifically mentions monitoring people on UC or other government benefits.

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"If you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about "

Ah the famous quote, paraphrased.

"Can just imagine them sitting there on social media. Fuck me Tracey’s checked in at Sainsbury’s 3 times this week and been to the pub twice and a maccies! Reduce her benefits.

Tracey is living her best life "

By *mmMandyTV/TS  over a year ago

Southampton

I believe we all have a little tarnish on our halos,

Would you really declare that your nan left you a chunk in her will, or you sold your car and now have above the max allowable savings?

"I meant to add in my earlier post, that the DWP monitor Social Media as often people can post messages, pictures and other information without thinking of any consequences!

It has been known for people who are on Benefits or receiving other Govt financial assistance, boasting on FB about their forthcoming foreign holiday, or one they'd just returned from.

Or the Benefits Cheats who claim Invalidity Benefits etc who stupidly post pics on FB or other sites, showing them dancing, partying, on holiday etc when supposedly they're in acute pain, can't walk ten steps before stopping in agony!

That's where the monitoring of Social Media comes in to check for Benefits Fraud.

"

So people on benefits aren’t allowed a holiday? They can’t save up?

"And bank accounts. I was surprised to know it as I just read that they have the "power" and could watch your social media profiles and bank account activity, whilst yes I do understand that they do it to see if there is any fraud going on, but still, that means that they might have your login info too, what do you think about it? "

This is BS.

"I meant to add in my earlier post, that the DWP monitor Social Media as often people can post messages, pictures and other information without thinking of any consequences!

So people on benefits aren’t allowed a holiday? They can’t save up?"

They can but is the ones pleading poverty then spending £10k on holiday they clamp down on or the ones claiming PIP then going on ski holidays yet can't walk to the car when assessed

"If you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about

Would you really declare that your nan left you a chunk in her will, or you sold your car and now have above the max allowable savings?"

Yes. My mum died in 2018, each sibling (6) got over 20k, each grandchild got 1k - yes I declared it, I don’t work due to disability & lack of skills, I bought a car outright, to not declare something like that amount is fraud.

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

I have a fake facebook account I post all my fraudulent activity to!

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

This is pretty old news. Years ago legislation was discussed/passed that allowed government departments to be more integrated. It allowed them to either access or be more homogenous - as other have said to reduce fraud.

Given people fraudulently claimed millions in bounce back loans with apparent ease, you wonder how well it works, as the money seems unrecoverable, routed out of the country.

From what I remember there were 26 departments that could access information, it was part of the move toward Big Data sharing, where Banks were encouraged to give consumers greater knowledge over spending habits.

It allowed sharing between groups such as the Police, Border Control, Work and Pensions, Banks, Transport, Judiciary etc. Your NI number basically links all activity if needed.

This is an editorial from 2017 I couldn't find the original that listed all the departments.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/16/the-guardian-view-on-data-sharing-the-privacy-of-citizens-is-being-eroded

Wifey used to work in fraud, and nobody can look at your bank stuff without a court order; and social media is public only, or the same applies.

"

My ex wife worked as a tax inspector, she told me once that if she so much at glances at my file without any legitimate reason she would be dismissed."

Not changed- one of the 'unforgivable' crimes in DWP/Police etc.

By *acksparrow99Man  over a year ago

Canary Wharf, London

Banks are already asked to monitor their clients' activity under various KYC and AML regulations. DWP will likely give them a new set of parameters to monitor for and alert DWP if the activity on the bank account matches those parameters. HMRC are toying with a similar idea under the name of Tax-Compliant Bank Accounts that would be monitored by HMRC and would give them powers to extract tax from your bank account automatically. Initially they want to do it for small businesses, but I'm guessing they'd like to do for ordinary people in the end.

By *inkyeroticaCouple  over a year ago

Ampthill

"So people on benefits aren’t allowed a holiday? They can’t save up?"

On JSA, no. While claiming JSA you agree to be available for work 24/7. If, for example, you were to leave the country for a period of time and so you were not deemed “available for work” then no payment for you. If you manage to get away between sign on dates then while you may “get away with it”, you’d still be defrauding the DWP.

Paradise, Herts

"

My ex wife worked as a tax inspector, she told me once that if she so much at glances at my file without any legitimate reason she would be dismissed.

Not changed- one of the 'unforgivable' crimes in DWP/Police etc."

And banking. When I worked in London we had a lot of celebrities bank with us. No way could we look at their accounts without reason.

On a mooch

Would you really declare that your nan left you a chunk in her will, or you sold your car and now have above the max allowable savings?"

Well considering I have neither easy to say yes.

The one thing I was taught was never mess with the tax man or else it will bite back down the line.

Ampthill

"… but still, that means that they might have your login info too, what do you think about it? "

The world can see what you post on social media, subject to your privacy settings, without any special powers being required. That’s nothing sinister, and wether or not that lands you in hot water is limited only by your own stupidity.

Further levels of access to your personal financial information would require a) reasonable suspicion and b) a court order. An exception may be HMRC who have more powers than any other state office.

But if you were doing financial things you shouldn’t be doing and so use cash exclusively, beware. Don’t leave a paper trail. An individual was prosecuted where the key evidence that there actual income was more than their declared income was their tesco clubcard account, which showed spending well in excess of their alleged income. When prosecuting for fraud, every little helps!

"So people on benefits aren’t allowed a holiday? They can’t save up?

On JSA, no. While claiming JSA you agree to be available for work 24/7. If, for example, you were to leave the country for a period of time and so you were not deemed “available for work” then no payment for you. If you manage to get away between sign on dates then while you may “get away with it”, you’d still be defrauding the DWP."

That’s not entirely true. On JSA you can go on holiday/ leave the country but you have to tell your work advisor where you’re going & how long you’ll be away for. If a job opportunity comes up they will expect you to cut your holiday short & return to either attend the interview or start the job. I was on JSA, though only looking for part time, & that’s what I was told.

Ampthill

On JSA, no. While claiming JSA you agree to be available for work 24/7. If, for example, you were to leave the country for a period of time and so you were not deemed “available for work” then no payment for you. If you manage to get away between sign on dates then while you may “get away with it”, you’d still be defrauding the DWP.

That’s not entirely true. On JSA you can go on holiday/ leave the country but you have to tell your work advisor where you’re going & how long you’ll be away for. If a job opportunity comes up they will expect you to cut your holiday short & return to either attend the interview or start the job. I was on JSA, though only looking for part time, & that’s what I was told. "

A long time ago (fortunately) when I was, I was told the opposite to you… leave the country and your signing off!

"… but still, that means that they might have your login info too, what do you think about it?

The world can see what you post on social media, subject to your privacy settings, without any special powers being required. That’s nothing sinister, and wether or not that lands you in hot water is limited only by your own stupidity.

Further levels of access to your personal financial information would require a) reasonable suspicion and b) a court order. An exception may be HMRC who have more powers than any other state office.

But if you were doing financial things you shouldn’t be doing and so use cash exclusively, beware. Don’t leave a paper trail. An individual was prosecuted where the key evidence that there actual income was more than their declared income was their tesco clubcard account, which showed spending well in excess of their alleged income. When prosecuting for fraud, every little helps!"

You are right there, as it depends what setting one have on the social media.

Actually they cannot Unless the claimant is under investigation. This is the same with all kinds of fraud.

On JSA, no. While claiming JSA you agree to be available for work 24/7. If, for example, you were to leave the country for a period of time and so you were not deemed “available for work” then no payment for you. If you manage to get away between sign on dates then while you may “get away with it”, you’d still be defrauding the DWP."

That is not true. You can take a 2 week holiday in any 6 month period.

Southampton

I was disturbed by this and have enquired of an informed source

You would need to come to their attention for some other reason first.

They must be able to justify any such search / enquiry in court, (which are authorised at regional level, not locally) and safeguards are in place under various acts which could make this problematic for them.

In other words, they can, but they don’t in any but the most outrageous and flagrant cases of abuse of the benefit system

Climate of fear bulshit.

Too much internet for you!

They certainly can access/monitor your social media accounts, a person has had to go to a tribunal, as when they were awarded certain benefits. Decided to post their celebrations and what not on a certain social media site/app for the DWP to then tell claimant they are not entitled to before mentioned benefits, and the person is now awaiting tribunal date.

By *renchFantasyCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

GDPR

If I'm doing nothing wrong, they've no right to look.

I was disturbed by this and have enquired of an informed source

You would need to come to their attention for some other reason first.

They must be able to justify any such search / enquiry in court, (which are authorised at regional level, not locally) and safeguards are in place under various acts which could make this problematic for them.

In other words, they can, but they don’t in any but the most outrageous and flagrant cases of abuse of the benefit system

"

This is correct.

When she was Home Sec' Theresa May tried it introduce legislation that would've made this type of activity much easier, it bombed because even her own party couldn't support it.

By * AND R 777Couple  over a year ago

Teesside

They probably just press the green tick like the rest of us,

By *onnydayzMan  over a year ago

preston

Hello, I work closely with Universal Credit which is one element of DWP.

Its true, and has been for a long time that Social Media activity has been monitored for UC claiments who say for example they are the only adult occupant in a household as opposed to living with a partner and then both adults are claiming the single persons allowance as opposed to a joint claim. They can extend this and look at a person's income and expenditure within a claiments bank account. They don't require log in details or passwords as bank accounts will be linked to a claim.

There has to be an element of suspicion in order to request a monitored file and that's achieved by the claiment suspected of giving false info, a tip off from a 3rd party or a change in circumstances that is undeclared by the claiments but is found out at a later stage.

What I can say is if you are claiming benefits legitimately, provide full and correct information and advise of any change in circumstances then there is no chance whatsoever of you being monitored.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

Erm. How do they know who I bank with??

On a mooch

If I'm doing nothing wrong, they've no right to look."

and they wouldn’t.

Example I quit work December 2019, the only benefit I claim is child benefit. 10 months later as I wasn’t earning, signed on, paying tax etc, they froze my CB as they thought I’d left the country. All it took was a quick phone call to explain some information and the benefit was reinstated.

Southampton

"Erm. How do they know who I bank with??"

because they pay your benefits into your bank account numpty

Paradise, Herts

"Erm. How do they know who I bank with??

because they pay your benefits into your bank account numpty"

Bit harsh lol. They may not get benefits. I don’t and no pension either yet so they wouldn’t have mine.

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Llanelli

Oh look at Mr bloggs, he's spent 200 on sex toys and lube this week alone, we better have words

By *esthetic21Man  over a year ago

Birmingham/Bristol

"Can just imagine them sitting there on social media. Fuck me Tracey’s checked in at Sainsbury’s 3 times this week and been to the pub twice and a maccies! Reduce her benefits. "
it's probably more alo.g the lines of someone who is claiming sick then checking into the gym everyday

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

[Removed by poster at 13/01/22 13:29:38]

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

Whilst I’m not thrilled about it - I’ve nothing to fear either.

I remember an outcry a few years ago when it was said that google/social media et al could track you via your phone wherever you are on earth.

All I thought was - that’ll be handy if I ever get totally lost or k**napped.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Did you read it on Facebook?No. I read the news on reuters.And on there it was on the express's site.

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1543731/DWP-warning-benefit-fraud-bank-statements-social-media-check-UK-2022/amp?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=upday"

I must admit I smirk a bit when someone starts a thread saying something , lots of others tell him it must be from FB etc and then they turn up with the link

As others have said Shag, they have had powers for a while for certain things and to be honest if you were getting investigated for fraud then it does make sense, but I doubt if they will have your log in details but could request statements.

You would be surprised how many people check SM to see a lifestyle though, lots of insurance companies do to track fraud, employers etc to see if they want to employ you

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/1543731/DWP-warning-benefit-fraud-bank-statements-social-media-check-UK-2022/amp?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=upday

I must admit I smirk a bit when someone starts a thread saying something , lots of others tell him it must be from FB etc and then they turn up with the link

As others have said Shag, they have had powers for a while for certain things and to be honest if you were getting investigated for fraud then it does make sense, but I doubt if they will have your log in details but could request statements.

You would be surprised how many people check SM to see a lifestyle though, lots of insurance companies do to track fraud, employers etc to see if they want to employ you "

It sounded like a Facebook viral post. I'm a plonker.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

To be fair half of what's going on in this country at the moment sounds like it should be a FB post so it is hard to believe a lot of it....but some things are easily looked into rather than post dismissive posts when someone starts a thread/posts

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

Yea they don’t have massive amounts of access yet, from what I’ve heard. However that snoopers charter will give them access to everything including your passwords. Since it allows them to decrypt data.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Yea they don’t have massive amounts of access yet, from what I’ve heard. However that snoopers charter will give them access to everything including your passwords. Since it allows them to decrypt data."

Yeah, if that happens I wouldn't be happy. It would bother me even if I didn't have something to hide

notts

because they pay your benefits into your bank account numpty"

I am not or ever have been on benefits. So now who’s the numpty

"GDPR"

Doesn't apply to referencing your public social media pages in a fraud case.

Southampton

Bit harsh lol. They may not get benefits. I don’t and no pension either yet so they wouldn’t have mine. "

Child benefits? tax credits? self assessment?, there's always a way in, even premium bonds!

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Stockport

Utter bollocks, but bump your profile security up if you are genuinely worried.

Southampton

Not bollocks at all, maybe in your Trumpian distopia, but not in the real world.

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

This is more for the donuts who have their FB

wide open and microblog the minutiae of their regular trips to Floriday and Marbs.

Southampton

I might take you seriously if I could see what you had for lunch!

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Haha. But they can be right shits. I know someone who had a real fight over their disability allowance, and it’s really not hard to tell someone is disabled when they have terminal cancer and cannot walk.

notts

Bit harsh lol. They may not get benefits. I don’t and no pension either yet so they wouldn’t have mine.

Child benefits? tax credits? self assessment?, there's always a way in, even premium bonds! "

nope, none of the above .... sorry to disappoint

» Add a new message to this topic