FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is it your way or the highway?

Is it your way or the highway?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Do you make a decision and stick to it, undisturbed by others, or is there room for manoeuvre?

Do you listen and learn, or are you certain on your way/method/choice…?

This is a thread for open debate, and is hopefully a learning experience.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It depends on what we're talking about.

If it's day to day stuff I'm happy to listen and take feedback.

If it's like a life changing decision it's my way.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I think I mostly make a decision and stick to it. There are a few people whose opinions and advice I will take on board but not many x

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

It depends on the scenario, surely?

When it comes to the way I live my life then yes, I live it my way. I'll listen to the opinions of the people who matter to me but I'll ultimately make my own choices and live as I want to live.

When it comes to my opinions, judgements I've made on situations or on other people, there is usually huge room for manoeuvre. I'm open to facts and improved evidence, open to having my beliefs challenged and to changing as I learn from those who are more knowledgeable in particular areas than I am.

I have convictions in my decisions as I’m not really a spontaneous person.

But I am always open to be challenged and different perspectives. We all have different experiences and to remain curious in life is how we grow and develop

By *ternal PunishmentCouple  over a year ago

The Abyss

"Do you make a decision and stick to it, undisturbed by others, or is there room for manoeuvre?

This is a thread for open debate, and is hopefully a learning experience. "

Open to learning and understanding

By *3nsesMan  over a year ago

Dublin

There's always room for manovoure.

I'm confident in my decision making ability but that doesn't mean it's flawless or that there aren't factors I haven't considered. Always happy to take onboard advice and opinion and then factor those into my decision.

By *il sub princessWoman  over a year ago

West Midlands

As a manager I'm perhaps a little controlling that it's my way or the high way. My friends and family say I'm like that personally too, they are wrong obviously

I like to take people with me on my bus... I'll go out of my way to help them get on it, but at the end of the day I'll happily set and reach my own destination and let them do their thing.

I hate being defined and having expectations thrust upon me, so i get why others wouldn't too

At work i can be very persuasive ... It's rare it's not my way

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I very rarely if ever change my opinion in relation to an online conversation or debate because nobody has ever walked in my shoes and can't therefore convince me that their way is better.

If it's a subject that I know little about I won't have a strong opinion so I'm open to other views.

If it's a subject I feel strongly about then my own personal experience will always win out over someone else's.

"I have convictions in my decisions as I’m not really a spontaneous person.

But I am always open to be challenged and different perspectives. We all have different experiences and to remain curious in life is how we grow and develop "

I like this, the ability to remain curious

"I very rarely if ever change my opinion in relation to an online conversation or debate because nobody has ever walked in my shoes and can't therefore convince me that their way is better.

If it's a subject that I know little about I won't have a strong opinion so I'm open to other views.

If it's a subject I feel strongly about then my own personal experience will always win out over someone else's.

"

I think that is probably the way for a lot of us?

"I like to take people with me on my bus... I'll go out of my way to help them get on it, but at the end of the day I'll happily set and reach my own destination and let them do their thing.

I hate being defined and having expectations thrust upon me, so i get why others wouldn't too

At work i can be very persuasive ... It's rare it's not my way "

Just to add to that .. I like to think critically and try to explore all possibilities, so i pretty much have chosen the 'best' option before setting my course, which helps immensely at work

It depends what the decision is in relation to and how quickly the decision needs to be made

"I like to take people with me on my bus... I'll go out of my way to help them get on it, but at the end of the day I'll happily set and reach my own destination and let them do their thing.

Just to add to that .. I like to think critically and try to explore all possibilities, so i pretty much have chosen the 'best' option before setting my course, which helps immensely at work "

Forethought. That makes sense.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I like information, so even if my mind wasn't to be changed. I'd like to hear others viewpoints and perspectives, because I may learn something about myself I didn't realise or others.

I guess I'm open to discussion, I'm not a fan of those who are closed books personally.

Carlitos way

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

At work i can be very persuasive ... It's rare it's not my way "

I’d get on your bus!

I’m like this too

I’d get on your bus!

I’m like this too "

I like the bus analogy, it really makes sense

"I like information, so even if my mind wasn't to be changed. I'd like to hear others viewpoints and perspectives, because I may learn something about myself I didn't realise or others.

I guess I'm open to discussion, I'm not a fan of those who are closed books personally.

"

I love learning and getting new POV... I absorb the info and 'chew it over' for a few days and then it seeps into my mind and becomes part of me

I have an excellent dinner analogy that my DD have me when we were talking about dealing with exclusivity /jealousy/ possessiveness ... It completely changed my way of thinking

I value other opinions strongly and look at different perspectives to help make better decisions for me. It can be beneficial to see things from another point of view…

Whilst I might have my view on something that I might believe in, I recognise and respect that others are entitled to look at it differently too. It can certainly help with learning and understanding things in life

By *oah VailMan  over a year ago

Dover

I like to think I’m pretty open minded and amenable to being persuaded that my position might be wrong. However, I have learned a good many lessons the hard way over the years, so when presented with an individual who’s experience is significantly less than mine then I can be much more “my way”…

I suppose some of it is an age thing. The world seemed a much more cut and dried place to me thirty years ago than it does now. I have found my politics shifting steadily leftward, and my understanding of life’s ambiguities has definitely expanded.

Some people I know, I disagree with on many things, but agree wholeheartedly on others.

Hmmm. That doesn’t really answer the question.

I suppose I’m both.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'm generally quite open to listen, not hear, other viewpoints - it's how I grow and learn and understand more about perception, have my thoughts challenged (which I welcome for the most part). People tend not to offer opinions on big life stuff, it's more the little things. I find it fascinating how we view things, do things differently. It doesn't mean I always agree but I enjoy learning more.

Take ddlg. Before, some time ago, I'd felt... something towards it. After reading some threads on it, I decided to avoid the heated nature of those threads and message someone who replied and indulged me in my curiosity with patience, kindness and a hearty glug of waffle. I guess it helped that she was willing to discuss it and I was to listen without belittling/shaming or whatever on either side. I'm fairly open to discussion on subjects for the most part.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Like most of these threads. It depends is the only sensible answer

Red flags for some on here

"Red flags for some on here "

Would you care to expand?

"Red flags for some on here "

What do you mean?

I like to think I'm open. Life is more interesting that way

Not really. interesting to read people's responses, very interesting

"I like to think I'm open. Life is more interesting that way "

I think so too

"Not really. interesting to read people's responses, very interesting"

Ahh, I see

"I like to think I'm open. Life is more interesting that way

I think so too "

I find you miss out on a lot otherwise

Always happy to listen to other suggestions.

Usually when common sense is applied

I think so too

I find you miss out on a lot otherwise "

Curiosity and exploration beyond our understanding can be very valuable too

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I love those who are staunch and resolute, always right , never listen, have total control .....

They make such a pleasing snap when the wind blows....

Really all depends on

Who the person is and what they mean to me

Friend or family or someone I care deeply about I will give wiggle room

Random one nighters and such nope if they don’t like the rules there’s the door so to speak

I like to have control over certain things that I may not have had before, and in that sense it will be done my way. As much as anything is ever under our control, but in general I am open to ideas/change.

I think so too

Curiosity and exploration beyond our understanding can be very valuable too "

Absolutely. I'm not the sanme person I was 10 years ago. I don't think I'd like to be the same person in ten years time either.

"I love those who are staunch and resolute, always right , never listen, have total control .....

They make such a pleasing snap when the wind blows....

"

I think so too

Absolutely. I'm not the sanme person I was 10 years ago. I don't think I'd like to be the same person in ten years time either. "

Me neither, growing and evolving is part of our human journey u think.

I think so too

Absolutely. I'm not the sanme person I was 10 years ago. I don't think I'd like to be the same person in ten years time either.

Me neither, growing and evolving is part of our human journey u think. "

Most definitely. I love trying new things and evolving.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Its my way but I invite it to be challenged, as there's always room for growth

"Its my way but I invite it to be challenged, as there's always room for growth "

Fnar fnar!

Depends

Does the highway go to the emerald city, the city of dreams or just hell?

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I'm an engineer, so I tend to listen to others opinions.

I may not always have the best idea.

Although I am quite brilliant.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

"I like information, so even if my mind wasn't to be changed. I'd like to hear others viewpoints and perspectives, because I may learn something about myself I didn't realise or others.

I love learning and getting new POV... I absorb the info and 'chew it over' for a few days and then it seeps into my mind and becomes part of me

I have an excellent dinner analogy that my DD have me when we were talking about dealing with exclusivity /jealousy/ possessiveness ... It completely changed my way of thinking "

I think that's it, I will mull over the information. And then I may change my mind or it actually makes my mind more clear why I believe xyz. Discussion for me clarifies my own thought and for that alone I embrace it. Even if the other person thinks I'm completely wrong.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It very much depends on the situation and whether additional information changes my perspective and therefore my decision.

I enjoy learning about new things and open discussions. I have different opinions and views on some things now than I had in my 20s.

By *oah VailMan  over a year ago

Dover

"It very much depends on the situation and whether additional information changes my perspective and therefore my decision.

I enjoy learning about new things and open discussions. I have different opinions and views on some things now than I had in my 20s."

This ^^^

Discussion is good. Particularly with people who hold the opposite view IMHO, because it makes you think properly about your own perspective and forces you to to justify your position rationally. We are all guilty of inheriting opinions from our parents, peers and environment. Sometimes, being challenged to defend them makes you realise that you’re wrong and the other party is right.

Of course, some people would rather die than admit they’re wrong, because the dogma they’re indoctrinated with is too deeply set.

I’ve had my mind changed and decisions swayed often. I’m old and not egotistical enough to not be ignorant to a better idea.

I like people opinions, but that’s what I like. It’s their opinion, so sometimes I just listen and It would never change my mind also. So in a round about way, sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t.

I have an excellent dinner analogy that my DD have me when we were talking about dealing with exclusivity /jealousy/ possessiveness ... It completely changed my way of thinking

I think that's it, I will mull over the information. And then I may change my mind or it actually makes my mind more clear why I believe xyz. Discussion for me clarifies my own thought and for that alone I embrace it. Even if the other person thinks I'm completely wrong. "

I think it’s this for me too. I like a good debate, and sometimes someone will plant a seed, and if I go away and think about it, I may change my mind, or adapt my thinking around it.

I think it’s really important to be open to that.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I'm much more open to other opinions that are expressed in a way that allows debate.

If the other person or persons are trying to force me to agree there is a greater chance of me disagreeing. Not because I think they are wrong and I am right but the louder they shout the weaker their argument becomes and I don't want to listen to it regardless of the subject.

I think that's it, I will mull over the information. And then I may change my mind or it actually makes my mind more clear why I believe xyz. Discussion for me clarifies my own thought and for that alone I embrace it. Even if the other person thinks I'm completely wrong.

I think it’s this for me too. I like a good debate, and sometimes someone will plant a seed, and if I go away and think about it, I may change my mind, or adapt my thinking around it.

I think it’s really important to be open to that."

I've observed you do this on a couple of occasions

I think it’s really important to be open to that.

I've observed you do this on a couple of occasions"

Thank you lovely, and you know me pretty well as well

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

If you can’t listen to others you won’t learn.

However it is all dependent on how it is delivered, if it’s a blinkered, going round in circles, you will do this or else, that is something I will walk away from. I won’t waste energy on those that aren’t the open to discussion or willing to see an alternative point of view.

If it’s a decision affecting my life, I make it and stubbornly stick to it without looking back.

By *agicM53XMan  over a year ago

Orpington

"Do you make a decision and stick to it, undisturbed by others, or is there room for manoeuvre?

This is a thread for open debate, and is hopefully a learning experience. "

From a moral point of view...it's my way or the highway, I'm at an age where my morals and principles are unlikely to change. If we talk about ideas , opinions, thoughts...I'm opened minded and always willing to grow intellectually

This has really made me think!

Generally I’m very laidback, so happy to bend with the wind. Plus, I can be indecisive anyway

But that said, I know my own mind too. I’m a curious mix, I guess.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I don’t know really.

Although I’m laidback, I’m also incredibly stubborn and bossy. I have anxiety so I like things done my way so I can relax.

Mmmm not looking good for me is it

» Add a new message to this topic