FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > social skills

social skills

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

social skill are they a lost art ???

it seems anyone under 40 mostly no longer have ant social skills online or face to face...

see it every day via my messages on here people find it hard to interact..

but heres why im posting on tuesday this week we've added extra training to new staff on how to interact face to face with people as they really have no clue from simple things like ..would you like a cup of tea .... simple things like that have to be taught ??? really really bad out there ..yes we blame social media as its all the younger generations know .... i think its so sad that this now has to be taught rather than be learnt growing up

and before anyone say's its a class thing its really not some of these new staff are students wanting extra money

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't think everyone over 40 has great social skills

Crikey what kind of job role is it? It does seem that some people need teaching really basic stuff.

I see many parents with earphones in or on their phones while out with their little kids, totally ignoring them.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Just picking up on your ‘would you like a cup of tea example’ is this to colleagues or visitors ?

I ask as in my 34 years of working I’ve not once made a brew for the team, it’s not my role, I don’t drink it and they can use the kitchen like everyone else. However, any client is automatically offered upon arrival.

By *arte_Blanche_NECouple  over a year ago

Northern

"I don't think everyone over 40 has great social skills "

Agreed, it’s across the board

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"social skill are they a lost art ???

it seems anyone under 40 mostly no longer have ant social skills online or face to face...

see it every day via my messages on here people find it hard to interact..

but heres why im posting on tuesday this week we've added extra training to new staff on how to interact face to face with people as they really have no clue from simple things like ..would you like a cup of tea .... simple things like that have to be taught ??? really really bad out there ..yes we blame social media as its all the younger generations know .... i think its so sad that this now has to be taught rather than be learnt growing up

and before anyone say's its a class thing its really not some of these new staff are students wanting extra money"

I think we need more information here.

Why is it *not* a class thing?

What has the new staff being students got to do with anything?

What is the context of people being offered a cup of tea? I can think of plenty of circumstances where that wouldn't be appropriate.

Who gets to decide what "good" social skills are?

Why do you think it's you who has good social skills, and it's the "younger generations" who are the problem?

Anyone under 40? I have excellent social skills (anxiety permitting) ill have you know!

Seriously though i feel im one of the few in my generation who have any social skills worth a damn. I blame social media and instant messaging

Anyone under 40? That's a sweeping generalisation isn't it? Not all of us have no social skills.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Sorry I mainly work with younger people and find their social skills are fine. In fact they seem pretty switched on to most things that are happening around us currently.

It’s the sort of thing thrown at every generation since the 50’s, some younger people are ignorant so are some at my age and above.

The only issue I have, is the music when I was younger was much better

By *hancer666Man  over a year ago

Redbourn

"I don't think everyone over 40 has great social skills

Agreed, it’s across the board "

I blame the recruitment process of some firms that employ people with no social skills, and then when client retention is an issue, only then give them training they should have had at the start,as they had no social skills. Sack anyone involved in interview/selection process

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"I don't think everyone over 40 has great social skills

Agreed, it’s across the board

I blame the recruitment process of some firms that employ people with no social skills, and then when client retention is an issue, only then give them training they should have had at the start,as they had no social skills. Sack anyone involved in interview/selection process "

The problem with the recruitment industry as a whole is that it selects for one thing, and one thing only: People who are good at job interviews. This is why, again and again, you get incompetent people sailing into one great job after another, and genuinely brilliant people who struggle to get work.

See also: Exam-based assessment. Great if you want an exam-passing machine, not much use for anything else.

» Add a new message to this topic