FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > MRSA

MRSA

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that superbugs came from hedgehogs..

What is going on here folks ...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

AFAIK the MRSA is just regular old staph that has become immune to regular antibiotics.

However there are a lot of quite nasty diseases including Lymes disease that have jumped species from deer.

Chelmsford

Scientists have proven the link from hedgehogs..

What's going on here guys

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

(Radio static) he’s on to us - time to make Tom disappear…

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

More scientific marvels from the deepest depths of Essex

"Scientists have proven the link from hedgehogs..

What's going on here guys "

. It's coming from hedgehogs? At a guess that's what's happening if you're reporting it.

Apparently it's happening at Sonic speed.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

It's almost like we're just animals too....

"Apparently it's happening at Sonic speed. "

I wish I knew if I needed to be as worried as I am about covid!

By *yrdsisWoman  over a year ago

Gleam Street

MRSA has been kicking about for years... like 25 years since I last worked in a hospital... people can spread it on their own.

Hedgehogs are awesome.

North West

"Apparently it's happening at Sonic speed.

I wish I knew if I needed to be as worried as I am about covid!"

Not unless you are immunocompromised and intend to introduce bacteria from your skin deep into your bloodstream (assuming you even have the methicillin resistant version). Everyone has Staph aureus all over their skin and bodily orifices. It's a commensal bacterium. It's just some acquired an antibiotic resistance gene. Staph only causes problems if it gets into the bloodstream or wounds and really only then only serious for people with weakened immunity.

By *olymalelincsMan  over a year ago

nr southend

My grandfather lost his leg due to mrsa he contracted whilst in hospital in essex when it first started being found.

North West

"My grandfather lost his leg due to mrsa he contracted whilst in hospital in essex when it first started being found."

Sorry to hear that. It's not something you want to infect the bloodstream or wounds of older people, for sure.

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

1 in 200 of the MRSA infections reported are from a strain related to the bug that had an arms race with a naturally occurring antibiotic fungus that grows on a hedgehogs skin thus proving that not all MRSA bugs were developed by overuse of anthropogenically created antibiotics.

That’s what’s going on Tom it was in the article you read, it explained it all.

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

Livin on the hedge

nr southend

"My grandfather lost his leg due to mrsa he contracted whilst in hospital in essex when it first started being found.

Sorry to hear that. It's not something you want to infect the bloodstream or wounds of older people, for sure. "

Nope it was quite nasty from what I remember, he was diabetic and went in because he had stupidly dropped something on his foot in the garage and the wound got infected then whilst he was in there he contracted mrsa as it was one of the hospitals that had massive issues with it at the start and it ended up with an above the knee amputation to save his life was scary times for the family as we where told they didn't know if they had gone high enough to stop the infection.

Okehampton

"Livin on the hedge "

Beyond the hedge of reason?

Hedgehugs

I'm more worried about the fleas tbf

North West

"My grandfather lost his leg due to mrsa he contracted whilst in hospital in essex when it first started being found.

Sorry to hear that. It's not something you want to infect the bloodstream or wounds of older people, for sure.

Nope it was quite nasty from what I remember, he was diabetic and went in because he had stupidly dropped something on his foot in the garage and the wound got infected then whilst he was in there he contracted mrsa as it was one of the hospitals that had massive issues with it at the start and it ended up with an above the knee amputation to save his life was scary times for the family as we where told they didn't know if they had gone high enough to stop the infection."

Unfortunately, being diabetic was an extra confounding factor for infection. I hope he was able to learn to cope after the amputation.

There will be a spike in cases

Okehampton

I have a hedgehog (Nancy) in the garden, she lets me pick her up and feed her cat biscuits, every now and then I take her to the hedgehog rescue place for fluke and flea treatment.

I’ve never had MRSA, but she does make me giggle when she crunches beetles and cat biscuits and often we sit on the back step marvelling at the moonlight, she snuffles a lot, I think she’s saying “dark innit ?”

"There will be a spike in cases "

Jesus, that's nearly as bad as my sonic quip

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

"I have a hedgehog (Nancy) in the garden, she lets me pick her up and feed her cat biscuits, every now and then I take her to the hedgehog rescue place for fluke and flea treatment.

I’ve never had MRSA, but she does make me giggle when she crunches beetles and cat biscuits and often we sit on the back step marvelling at the moonlight, she snuffles a lot, I think she’s saying “dark innit ?” "

Aww thats so cute

nr southend

Nope it was quite nasty from what I remember, he was diabetic and went in because he had stupidly dropped something on his foot in the garage and the wound got infected then whilst he was in there he contracted mrsa as it was one of the hospitals that had massive issues with it at the start and it ended up with an above the knee amputation to save his life was scary times for the family as we where told they didn't know if they had gone high enough to stop the infection.

Unfortunately, being diabetic was an extra confounding factor for infection. I hope he was able to learn to cope after the amputation. "

He done fairly well with a prosthetic leg (better than my mum has) I just had to stop him trying to bloody drive lol he was a very determined man to say the least

nr southend

"I have a hedgehog (Nancy) in the garden, she lets me pick her up and feed her cat biscuits, every now and then I take her to the hedgehog rescue place for fluke and flea treatment.

I’ve never had MRSA, but she does make me giggle when she crunches beetles and cat biscuits and often we sit on the back step marvelling at the moonlight, she snuffles a lot, I think she’s saying “dark innit ?” "

awwww that is quite sweet, we have hedgehogs the size of footballs in out garden I know this as one of our staffies seems to think they need looking after and brings then in to keep them warm (much to the disgust of the hedgehogs) he carrys them in carefully and puts them on my mums bed

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

Poor hedgehogs. If they’re not being squished by reckless drivers they’re getting a hard time on Fabswingers.

#bekindtohedgehogs

"Poor hedgehogs. If they’re not being squished by reckless drivers they’re getting a hard time on Fabswingers.

#bekindtohedgehogs"

Take a drive in the country during the hedgehog season and you will see the remains of thousands of them splattered across the roads. And observe just how flat they are. They must have fallen from a very great height to end up like that! The popular ‘explanation’ for these pitiful remains is that the hedgehogs have been run over by motor cars. Oh dear, oh dear. It is quite clear to me that the hedgehog, or hedge-hopping hog, as it was originally known, is a dweller of the upper atmosphere. It feeds upon flying insects and the tiny fish that inhabit the Aquasphere. The Aquasphere, as all who have read my monograph Noah’s Flood: Where all that water actually came from will know, is the mile-thick outer layer of water which prevents our atmosphere from drifting away into space. Hedgehogs, which fish in this region, float about up there, remaining aloft due to the inflated sacs of natural methane which surround their bodies. When they die, often due to punctures received during the rutting season, they deflate and plunge down to earth, exploding as they strike the Tarmac. The fact that you never see a flat hedgehog upon a soft grassy field, bears this out and proves my point somewhat conclusively, I so believe.

Okehampton

I’ve never had MRSA, but she does make me giggle when she crunches beetles and cat biscuits and often we sit on the back step marvelling at the moonlight, she snuffles a lot, I think she’s saying “dark innit ?”

awwww that is quite sweet, we have hedgehogs the size of footballs in out garden I know this as one of our staffies seems to think they need looking after and brings then in to keep them warm (much to the disgust of the hedgehogs) he carrys them in carefully and puts them on my mums bed "

They are quite amazing critters really and I am sure they fascinate your dogs. Nancy will nick olives if I am eating them but she is wild, watching her climb the 7ft Devon bank at the back of my garden is amazing.

She’s been gone a month or so now, maybe she will come back, maybe not, I hope she’s found herself a nice fella. I am sure that when she is in earshot in the spring and hears me pull a cork from a wine bottle she will come and investigate. Where there’s wine there’s olives

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

"Poor hedgehogs. If they’re not being squished by reckless drivers they’re getting a hard time on Fabswingers.

#bekindtohedgehogs

Take a drive in the country during the hedgehog season and you will see the remains of thousands of them splattered across the roads. And observe just how flat they are. They must have fallen from a very great height to end up like that! The popular ‘explanation’ for these pitiful remains is that the hedgehogs have been run over by motor cars. Oh dear, oh dear. It is quite clear to me that the hedgehog, or hedge-hopping hog, as it was originally known, is a dweller of the upper atmosphere. It feeds upon flying insects and the tiny fish that inhabit the Aquasphere. The Aquasphere, as all who have read my monograph Noah’s Flood: Where all that water actually came from will know, is the mile-thick outer layer of water which prevents our atmosphere from drifting away into space. Hedgehogs, which fish in this region, float about up there, remaining aloft due to the inflated sacs of natural methane which surround their bodies. When they die, often due to punctures received during the rutting season, they deflate and plunge down to earth, exploding as they strike the Tarmac. The fact that you never see a flat hedgehog upon a soft grassy field, bears this out and proves my point somewhat conclusively, I so believe."

Well that will give me nightmares. And I’ll never skip through a field without checking for flattened hedgehogs ever again. Curse you!

North West

#bekindtohedgehogs

Take a drive in the country during the hedgehog season and you will see the remains of thousands of them splattered across the roads. And observe just how flat they are. They must have fallen from a very great height to end up like that! The popular ‘explanation’ for these pitiful remains is that the hedgehogs have been run over by motor cars. Oh dear, oh dear. It is quite clear to me that the hedgehog, or hedge-hopping hog, as it was originally known, is a dweller of the upper atmosphere. It feeds upon flying insects and the tiny fish that inhabit the Aquasphere. The Aquasphere, as all who have read my monograph Noah’s Flood: Where all that water actually came from will know, is the mile-thick outer layer of water which prevents our atmosphere from drifting away into space. Hedgehogs, which fish in this region, float about up there, remaining aloft due to the inflated sacs of natural methane which surround their bodies. When they die, often due to punctures received during the rutting season, they deflate and plunge down to earth, exploding as they strike the Tarmac. The fact that you never see a flat hedgehog upon a soft grassy field, bears this out and proves my point somewhat conclusively, I so believe."

Are you the heir to Terry Pratchett?!

"

Are you the heir to Terry Pratchett?! "

Close, I nicked it from Robert Rankin, the Ultimate book of Truths, who pratchett was a fan of

Been waiting ages to be able to use that, waiting for a thread on maps or woolly mammoths next for more truth bombs

North West

"

Close, I nicked it from Robert Rankin, the Ultimate book of Truths, who pratchett was a fan of

Been waiting ages to be able to use that, waiting for a thread on maps or woolly mammoths next for more truth bombs"

I'm sure our Essex based forum dweller has already opined on mammoths. Not to say it won't be repeated/rehashed

nr southend

awwww that is quite sweet, we have hedgehogs the size of footballs in out garden I know this as one of our staffies seems to think they need looking after and brings then in to keep them warm (much to the disgust of the hedgehogs) he carrys them in carefully and puts them on my mums bed

They are quite amazing critters really and I am sure they fascinate your dogs. Nancy will nick olives if I am eating them but she is wild, watching her climb the 7ft Devon bank at the back of my garden is amazing.

She’s been gone a month or so now, maybe she will come back, maybe not, I hope she’s found herself a nice fella. I am sure that when she is in earshot in the spring and hears me pull a cork from a wine bottle she will come and investigate. Where there’s wine there’s olives "

They are very determined little creatures and as you say amazing, I am sure my dog thinks they are puppies or something, one of my other staffies is not so impressed with them as they make his nose hurt when he sniffs them , Nancy could well be hibernating and will probably be back stealing your olives sometime in March so I wouldn't worry too much yet she is probably curled up snoring away this cold weather

nr southend

"

Been waiting ages to be able to use that, waiting for a thread on maps or woolly mammoths next for more truth bombs"

Did Terry Pratchett and robert Rankin not do a book together? I love Pratchett

By *emma HoldenTV/TS  over a year ago

Ramsey

Are we sure it didn't jump to humans from those hedgehog flavoured crisps that were around back in the 1990s? Might be some sort of brain eating disease like BSE? What says you Thomas?

Why did the hedgehog cross that road? To see his flat mate.

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

#bekindtohedgehogs"

I will forever be grateful to them for teaching me how to cross the road safely as child to the tune of Stayin' Alive

nr southend

"Are we sure it didn't jump to humans from those hedgehog flavoured crisps that were around back in the 1990s? Might be some sort of brain eating disease like BSE? What says you Thomas?

Why did the hedgehog cross that road? To see his flat mate.

"

We had a board game when I was a kid called hedgehogs revenge maybe that's what this actually is it's their way of getting revenge for all their flat mates

nr southend

#bekindtohedgehogs

I will forever be grateful to them for teaching me how to cross the road safely as child to the tune of Stayin' Alive "

Haha I remember that aswell

"

Been waiting ages to be able to use that, waiting for a thread on maps or woolly mammoths next for more truth bombs

Did Terry Pratchett and robert Rankin not do a book together? I love Pratchett "

Sadly not, he did Good Imens with Gaiman and the long Earth series with Stephen Baxter, but never got further than a cover blurb with Rankin

By *orkswatcherMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

"My grandfather lost his leg due to mrsa he contracted whilst in hospital in essex when it first started being found."

I nearly did now, leg is scared due to having plastic surgery on it.

Chelmsford

I think there is a way of eating them safely. Folk used to cover them in clay mud and bake them. When they are cooked the clay is broken off taking all of the needles off. I personally would not eat them if there could be the MRSA virus and bacteria left..

"I think there is a way of eating them safely. Folk used to cover them in clay mud and bake them. When they are cooked the clay is broken off taking all of the needles off. I personally would not eat them if there could be the MRSA virus and bacteria left.."

Wait, you’d only not eat a hedgehog because of the slight risk of MRSA? No other reason? Not even the fact it’s a fucking hedgehog??

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

I’ve already booked my 18 million jabs

Time for a fact check.

A specific type of MRSA evolved on the skin of hedgehogs 200 years ago.

This form of MRSA causes 0.5% of human MRSA infections.

By *unkym34Man  over a year ago

London

"Time for a fact check.

This form of MRSA causes 0.5% of human MRSA infections."

well now I’m very worried this is enough to lockdown again

nr southend

"

Did Terry Pratchett and robert Rankin not do a book together? I love Pratchett

Sadly not, he did Good Imens with Gaiman and the long Earth series with Stephen Baxter, but never got further than a cover blurb with Rankin"

Ahhh it was the long earth books I was thinking of and getting names mixed up, really must dig through the boxes of books from when I moved as I want to finish reading the long earth ones I had just started the first book when we decided to move up here and 3 years on still havent unpacked everything due to life being a complete dick

nr southend

"I think there is a way of eating them safely. Folk used to cover them in clay mud and bake them. When they are cooked the clay is broken off taking all of the needles off. I personally would not eat them if there could be the MRSA virus and bacteria left..

Wait, you’d only not eat a hedgehog because of the slight risk of MRSA? No other reason? Not even the fact it’s a fucking hedgehog?? "

Once baked they are meant to be quite good eating from what I hear, I would give it a try

"I think there is a way of eating them safely. Folk used to cover them in clay mud and bake them. When they are cooked the clay is broken off taking all of the needles off. I personally would not eat them if there could be the MRSA virus and bacteria left..

Wait, you’d only not eat a hedgehog because of the slight risk of MRSA? No other reason? Not even the fact it’s a fucking hedgehog??

Once baked they are meant to be quite good eating from what I hear, I would give it a try "

So are dogs according to parts of Asia, doesn’t mean I’m going to chow down on one

nr southend

Once baked they are meant to be quite good eating from what I hear, I would give it a try

So are dogs according to parts of Asia, doesn’t mean I’m going to chow down on one "

I will try most foods once and I do have a couple of chubby little staffies so if times get hard they could make a good few meals lol one of my boys would feed a family of three easily

Chelmsford

"Time for a fact check.

This form of MRSA causes 0.5% of human MRSA infections."

And if that figure doubles every day...what is the percentage after 28 days ?

North West

"Time for a fact check.

This form of MRSA causes 0.5% of human MRSA infections.

And if that figure doubles every day...what is the percentage after 28 days ?"

Chelmsford

Wait, you’d only not eat a hedgehog because of the slight risk of MRSA? No other reason? Not even the fact it’s a fucking hedgehog?? "

We used to have hedgehog flavoured crisps at one time but because their numbers have dwindled they no longer do the crisps

» Add a new message to this topic