FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mouse trap.

Mouse trap.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

After moving out of parents home 25 years ago, we’ve just found our first mouse in the house

Not sure if it was here when we moved in recently or it decided to pop in to meet the new neighbours and stayed, but it’s here now.

So I’ve just ordered a humane mouse trap, but what do I put in there? Any help would be welcomed. Also once caught where do I take it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *inkyInkedBiWoman  over a year ago

I ad mice last year and tried everything - humane traps, usual traps, peppermint oil etc nothing worked

They were back this year. Paid to get people out, poison down, job done

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Peanut butter was what my cousin used when she had mice. She had to get the landlord in in the end so not sure how they were disposed of.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Put a cat in it.

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

They like chocolate

The big cheese mouse bait/attractant worked wonders for me. I put it in humane traps in my attic and always caught the mouse within 24hrs.

It’s available online

"I ad mice last year and tried everything - humane traps, usual traps, peppermint oil etc nothing worked

They were back this year. Paid to get people out, poison down, job done "

Oh no! I’m hoping we don’t have to kill it. I’m proper soppy and I’d end up crying.

"They like chocolate"

I’d put peanut butter and chocolate on the traps - the buggers would get it and not set the trap off, I was just feeding them

"I ad mice last year and tried everything - humane traps, usual traps, peppermint oil etc nothing worked

Oh no! I’m hoping we don’t have to kill it. I’m proper soppy and I’d end up crying.

"

I felt guilty at first seeing a few on the traps, but they have diseases and as bad as I felt I thought I can’t share my home with them!

Sadly there won’t just be one I’m afraid

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"They like chocolate

I’d put peanut butter and chocolate on the traps - the buggers would get it and not set the trap off, I was just feeding them "

.crafty little sods

"Put a cat in it."

We are actually picking up two kitten next month! So hopefully that’ll keep out any more then with any luck.

I’d say a cage but that would always jam halfway down the pole.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

"After moving out of parents home 25 years ago, we’ve just found our first mouse in the house

Not sure if it was here when we moved in recently or it decided to pop in to meet the new neighbours and stayed, but it’s here now.

So I’ve just ordered a humane mouse trap, but what do I put in there? Any help would be welcomed. Also once caught where do I take it? "

Mice love bird seeds even the fatballs and once caught if you have a park close by that would be great or farmland

"Put a cat in it."

Genuinely the best advice for getting rid of your mice. Well, for getting rid of live ones. Been brought so many dead ones from outside lost count now.

Newcastle

Also remember mice get clever if they are familiar with a trap they won't go back to it they can smell human beings so use gloves and cover the trap so not visible

"The big cheese mouse bait/attractant worked wonders for me. I put it in humane traps in my attic and always caught the mouse within 24hrs.

It’s available online "

Thank you will look at this.

By *edheadjMan  over a year ago

High Wycombe

Peanut butter.

Be aware that when you catch the little thing, you have to release them a long way away as they will make their way back.

You'll also need to keep the traps around after you catch them, as they may have family members - who breed every two weeks.

I felt guilty at first seeing a few on the traps, but they have diseases and as bad as I felt I thought I can’t share my home with them!

Sadly there won’t just be one I’m afraid "

And now I’m not going to sleep lol

One to catch didn’t seem as bad.

Thank you!!

Will make a trip to the shop first thing, ready for the traps to arrive.

Really hoping we’ve only one that’s snuck in. Hopefully the kittens will deter and not befriend the buggers!

Chocolate spread or peanut butter.

"They like chocolate"

Any particular chocolate?

We still have a whole box of celebrations. So can try some of those?

[Removed by poster at 06/01/22 00:28:30]

"

Mice love bird seeds even the fatballs and once caught if you have a park close by that would be great or farmland "

There’s a park I was thinking of, no houses to close and some rabbits and Guinea pigs kept there. I know I’ve seen mice around there, so figured would be ok?

Newcastle

"

"

Mice love bird seeds even the fatballs and once caught if you have a park close by that would be great or farmland "

There’s a park I was thinking of, no houses to close and some rabbits and Guinea pigs kept there. I know I’ve seen mice around there, so figured would be ok?"

Would be a excellent choice back in to wildlife once they find food they'll remain close by

By *uliette500Woman  over a year ago

Hull

I will say its rare to have just one mouse, there maybe a few of them.

"After moving out of parents home 25 years ago, we’ve just found our first mouse in the house

So I’ve just ordered a humane mouse trap, but what do I put in there? Any help would be welcomed. Also once caught where do I take it? "

You can use anything, bird seed, bit of cheese, some crackers, mice will eat anything. But it might take a few days, it’s helpful if you where it’s hiding. Please don’t put poison down as that’s a horrible slow death, as the poison causes internal bleeding and it can take days for them to die, plus if it gets outside again, and a cat gets it, the poison will transfer to the cat if it eats it.

The mouse is probably a field mouse and they like us, like warmth in the winter, if you leave it it will move out again in the spring, but there’s also a chance it has babies as mice breed every 6 weeks all year round. If you do catch it, take it at least 2 miles away as they can find their way home within a mile.

"Peanut butter.

Be aware that when you catch the little thing, you have to release them a long way away as they will make their way back.

You'll also need to keep the traps around after you catch them, as they may have family members - who breed every two weeks. "

It’s every 6 weeks lol

Newcastle

You could also keep it once caught as a pet since you moved in afterwards that is also a humanitarian choice

By *edheadjMan  over a year ago

High Wycombe

"Peanut butter.

You'll also need to keep the traps around after you catch them, as they may have family members - who breed every two weeks.

It’s every 6 weeks lol "

That's not what the pest control guy told us when he came round originally

"You could also keep it once caught as a pet since you moved in afterwards that is also a humanitarian choice "

Haha As much a I don’t want to hurt it, I don’t particularly want it as a pet, being it’s wild.

Im also wondering if it’s the mouse that’s set my allergies off the last two days. Haven’t stopped sneezing

"Peanut butter.

It’s every 6 weeks lol

That's not what the pest control guy told us when he came round originally "

Since mice gestation period is 19 - 21 days, it’s physically impossible for them to breed every 2 weeks lol. They are capable of breeding every 6 weeks all year round but tend to breed in the wild every season except winter unless they are somewhere warm with a good food supply.

"You could also keep it once caught as a pet since you moved in afterwards that is also a humanitarian choice

Haha As much a I don’t want to hurt it, I don’t particularly want it as a pet, being it’s wild.

Im also wondering if it’s the mouse that’s set my allergies off the last two days. Haven’t stopped sneezing "

Probably. After you’ve caught it and it’s brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles etc, give that part of your house a deep cleaning. I have mice in my house but half the time it’s my pesky cat bringing them in then letting it run around….

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"They like chocolate

Any particular chocolate?

We still have a whole box of celebrations. So can try some of those? "

Nope. You need quality street. The green triangle.

Newcastle

"You could also keep it once caught as a pet since you moved in afterwards that is also a humanitarian choice

Im also wondering if it’s the mouse that’s set my allergies off the last two days. Haven’t stopped sneezing

Probably. After you’ve caught it and it’s brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles etc, give that part of your house a deep cleaning. I have mice in my house but half the time it’s my pesky cat bringing them in then letting it run around…. "

Neice and nephew and grandkids great uncle and so forth

Newcastle

Im also wondering if it’s the mouse that’s set my allergies off the last two days. Haven’t stopped sneezing "

Not exactly wild when it has a roof over its head more like a lodger

» Add a new message to this topic