FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Time to rethink career choices

Time to rethink career choices

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Anyone else reached that point where they realise they're backing a dead horse and that it's time to find employment elsewhere?

At 58 I've hit that point, well to be honest I've been on the edge looking at that point a while, but after being told I'm not getting a pay raise for the 4th year running - despite working onsite the whole of the last 20 months - whilst people who have worked from home all got raises and were thanked for "their hard work" has tipped me over.

Just to be clear I'm not after sympathy, I don't need hand holding or a group hug. I'm just fishing to see who else has been in the same situation (especially at the same age) and if they said fuck it and stuck it out till retirement, or if they took the leap and ventured off.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *akie32Man  over a year ago

winchester

try being self employed, pay rise, atm its a huge pay cut, what do you expext atm?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yup I know how you feel, lost all the benefits of being my own boss, now be better off being employed doing a 9-5

By *yronMan  over a year ago

grangemouth

I changed careers a couple of years ago, prior to that, I had worked in security for about 11 years, but I decided it was a dead end, thankless task. So I retrained to become and EFL teacher and have started to enjoy life again.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

I've been there and decided to leave, it was the best thing I have done as it broke the repetitiveness. It put a spark back in my working day when I got a new role, meeting new people and it changed my outlook on staying in 1 place too long, I change roles every 2 years and with it comes pay rises and new challenges.

By *heHookyMonsterMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I'd never stay somewhere where I wasn't appreciated. I work hard so I'd expect something in return for that on occasion. Simply being 'grateful for having a job' isn't a mentality I'd ever agree with, so I'd say find somewhere that will appreciate you. Just my opinion of course. Good luck.

By *byeguysCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Paisley

[Removed by poster at 04/01/22 17:42:17]

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

Try to stick with what you have wrong time really to consider moving.

If you have had enough just do it shouldnt really need to ask others.

Its your life whilst others have had a taste of home life for long periods.

There the ones that will be considering staying close to home or will be glad to get out the door.

By *byeguysCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Paisley

’m in my final year of uni after deciding on a career change a few years back. Cannot wait to be doing something I’ll actually enjoy. Life’s too short to spend it doing anything other than what you want to be doing

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

At one year younger than you we were so sick of it for various reasons that we decided to just stop altogether. I realise this might not be an option for you but do you have any private pensions or other assets you could realise that would enable you to either stop work or take a lesser paid or part time job?

By *asycouple1971Couple  over a year ago

midlands

Not thought about it.

Been in the same company for 20yrs.

I know what I am doing, pay is ok not great. WFH for the last year.

50 now and no point in changing and looking for other jobs.

Good luck to you if the job is making you that unhappy.

Have you thought about speaking to management or human resource about a different role or time away?

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Walked away in 2019 aged 54 from a family run company that I'd worked for since 1984 due to lack of respect and appreciation for all I had done.

Took on a whole new challenge for almost exactly the same money but one year later we went into lockdown and after 6 months on furlough my role was deemed unnecessary and I was let go. All the staff I had taken on during that time were retained.

I was lucky to be able to help a friend with his business and that turned into a full time position.

Financially I have taken a big hit but my stress levels are almost zero and quality of life much better.

I took a big step down last year, ot was essential for my mental health and wellbeing , but it also allowed me the chance to progress it a different way, without the stress.

I'm still in the same industry, just in a different way.

I'm so glad I did it even though the financial implications have not been easy.

Good luck with whatever you decide OP

I've done it recently.

I'm now in a role that I will physically be able to do up until retirement and maybe beyond?

I'm retraining whilst working.

Good luck op, I hope you find peace and a happy work/life balance.

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Classic swinger advice here but, look at the package as a whole. Are there generous pension or redundancy benefits for instance that you might struggle to achieve elsewhere?

It does sound as though your employer is trying to nudge you towards the exit without the expense of making you redundant (especially given your age).

"try being self employed, pay rise, atm its a huge pay cut, what do you expext atm?"

Considering who I work for just had it's best year ever, and some of us took a pay cut to help out the past 2yrs, I expected something back.

"I've done it recently.

I'm now in a role that I will physically be able to do up until retirement and maybe beyond?

I'm retraining whilst working.

Good luck op, I hope you find peace and a happy work/life balance.

"

Thanks, glad you found something you're happy with

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

There is such a thing in business as the ‘loyalty discount’, where businesses strive for low staff turnover without properly rewarding the longevity, as they know that they would have to pay more to get someone else in to do your job if you left, so they save a lot of money by promoting low staff turnover without actual monetary benefits. So many companies praise ‘loyalty’ as a virtue, but would drop you as fast as they could, as cheaply as they could if it was in their interest. Changing companies every 2-5 years is seen as the optimum time to stay in a job to maximise salary increases. You owe them nothing (r/Antiwork)

By *orkshireDrifterMan  over a year ago

Nafferton, nr Driffield.

From what you say you clearly have a trade. You will have good contacts, so go self employed but plan it!

"There is such a thing in business as the ‘loyalty discount’, where businesses strive for low staff turnover without properly rewarding the longevity, as they know that they would have to pay more to get someone else in to do your job if you left, so they save a lot of money by promoting low staff turnover without actual monetary benefits. So many companies praise ‘loyalty’ as a virtue, but would drop you as fast as they could, as cheaply as they could if it was in their interest. Changing companies every 2-5 years is seen as the optimum time to stay in a job to maximise salary increases. You owe them nothing (r/Antiwork)"

Pretty much that's how the bosses at my place think.

Simplify the question. Are you content? Are you willing to be this level of content until retirement?

All the other stuff (dependants, mortgage and such) should come after you have answered that. You may never get to your fantasy life but you can get a lot closer to it than you are now if you wish

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"There is such a thing in business as the ‘loyalty discount’, where businesses strive for low staff turnover without properly rewarding the longevity, as they know that they would have to pay more to get someone else in to do your job if you left, so they save a lot of money by promoting low staff turnover without actual monetary benefits. So many companies praise ‘loyalty’ as a virtue, but would drop you as fast as they could, as cheaply as they could if it was in their interest. Changing companies every 2-5 years is seen as the optimum time to stay in a job to maximise salary increases. You owe them nothing (r/Antiwork)

Pretty much that's how the bosses at my place think. "

Then at least start shopping around for other jobs, it’s easier to negotiate for a pay increase if you have another job to go to, but don’t tell them where you are going or what the pay is that you have been offered, give them nothing to negotiate back with, then if they offer you a good enough new package (with back pay) and a written agreement of minimum increases going forward then you can either decide to stay or say, ‘so, you could have paid me that all along, but purely chose not to, so you’re a deceptive, manipulative, untrustworthy employer, so fuck this job, fuck this company and fuck you!’ And walk out!

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

I’m starting to put steps in place now for a career change in about 20 years with coaching and counselling being to avenues where I’m looking to develop myself.

I’m also developing the skills to create a mid term career as I work towards the longer goals.

The world will change massively in that time but mental health, personal and professional choices will continue to be an area where people will seek professional health to gain clarity IMO

"Simplify the question. Are you content? Are you willing to be this level of content until retirement?

All the other stuff (dependants, mortgage and such) should come after you have answered that. You may never get to your fantasy life but you can get a lot closer to it than you are now if you wish "

That sounds about back to front to me tbh

I resigned after 20+ years in the NHS just before the pandemic (yeah, great timing). I had no idea what I wanted to do, just knew staying in that job was making me unhappy. I ended up returning to the NHS for 18 months, supporting all the home-working office staff until I could stand it no more.

Currently working as a postie and loving it. After years of being sat at a desk, the opportunity to get outside in the fresh air is amazing.

By *uby StarCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Absolutely, yes. Just no idea which direction to head.

» Add a new message to this topic