FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How do you find a job you don't hate?

How do you find a job you don't hate?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *partharmony OP   Couple  over a year ago

Ruislip

I absolutely detest my job in IT. I have had six jobs in the last 10 years and I have hated all except one of them. Every day I wake up dreading what shit is going to be thrown at me and wondering how I'm going to get through it. The only job I quite liked I got made redundant from.

I have been in management for a long time and I want to step down and do a more rank-and-file job, but my CV has management all over it so I don't know if I'd be taken seriously in a lower-hierarchy job. I don't have up-to-date skills and experience because being in management doesn't have me doing the day-to-day stuff.

This is kind of ranty and rhetorical. I don't know if there is an answer. I'm just sick of the stress. I'd rather get paid less and not have so much aggro. It's not like I'm any good at what I do. I have done the classic thing of being promoted beyond my abilities.

Maybe I should try a different area of IT, or get out of it completely? But how do I start again in a field I have no experience in and still earn enough to keep a roof over my head?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated, but please no sympathy. Luke

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Can you go self employed Luke and make a job you like?

Ruislip

"Can you go self employed Luke and make a job you like?"

I'm not sure what I would do.

By *izzibeth9Couple  over a year ago

Loughborough

Feel for you there. I've worked in IT for the past 13 years and am starting to wonder if I've gotten a bit fed up with it, but as you say starting over is a huge deal after so long.

If you're brave enough to roll the dice, starting a business in something you're passionate about is a great shout, but I'm certainly not brave enough to take that risk now to be honest.

Wish you all the best though, and also wish I had more advice to offer!

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Do you know what it was you liked about that one job, and what it was you dislike about the others?

I've spent years contracting so I've moved around a lot, but it's helped me work out the environments and roles I will thrive in, versus those that will make me miserable.

It's unusual now for me to end up in roles I loathe, and although I'm not looking forward to getting up early tomorrow morning I no longer feel that absolute dread on a Sunday night.

Its worth putting a lot of time into thinking about the corporate structure, team structure, level of autonomy, style of management, type of hierarchy etc in each job, to find what it is that turned you on and turned you off in each role.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

I feel for you. I'm stuck in a job that I'm unhappy but just don't know what I would love to do. This job also fits in with my hectic life and is only a 10 minutes drive from home. My bosses are great too, but I am just so fed up of the job.

Could you maybe just fine a job to tide you over until you can decide what you really fancy doing? It sounds like you are stressed with your job, maybe a job where you can just turn up, to a days work and go home may be better for you.

I did think about being a postwoman, I may still look into it. Just turn up, deliver the post, then go home. No high levels of stress or worry.

Ruby

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You find what you love and you make it your job

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Without knowing the industry you're in have you looked at moving industries completely? Say you're in the MoD, look to move to Aviation, or from Fashion into Music, or Engineering into cyber security? There was an article in the Guardian on Sunday about the top 10 new industries in the UK. They ranged from flying electric helicopters, to electric buses, to hydrogen, to payment systems.

Reads and nods, reads and nods.

I don't want to progress in my job but I feel like everything that can go wrong is going wrong right now. Husband wants me to work at the same place he does (I'd love to) but the hardest part is that leap which I'm struggling to make.

By *hatMinxOverThereWoman  over a year ago

42 Wallaby Way

I was previously a manager in a telecoms company and absolutely hated everything about it. I decided to quit. Then went to Morrison’s and hated it but now I work at a petrol station and, as much as I don’t ‘love it’, I don’t dread going in, I don’t take work home with me and honestly I do like my job.

It’s difficult to leave and I am earning a lot less which I guess I’m lucky to be able to do.

Loughborough

"I feel for you. I'm stuck in a job that I'm unhappy but just don't know what I would love to do. This job also fits in with my hectic life and is only a 10 minutes drive from home. My bosses are great too, but I am just so fed up of the job.

Could you maybe just fine a job to tide you over until you can decide what you really fancy doing? It sounds like you are stressed with your job, maybe a job where you can just turn up, to a days work and go home may be better for you.

I did think about being a postwoman, I may still look into it. Just turn up, deliver the post, then go home. No high levels of stress or worry.

Ruby"

My mum was with a postie for about 5 years, and it sounded like a pretty high stress job to be honest. Really pretty tight delivery schedules along your route. That's only his experience of course, but still.

I've come to dread my job over the past few years. Never known what I wanted to do.

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

If you don’t mind me asking what area of IT are you currently in?

Service delivery, operational, governance and compliance?

Its easy to deskill in IT as it can move fast.

What is it about your current job you detest?

Lack of buy in, reactive not proactive etc.?

Difficult one luke, i can definitely say lifes too short to hate what you do for a living, ive been there and took the plunge to change it. Its never too late, i know nothing about 'IT' id love to be a wizz on them id definitely love to be a architect i have so much vision when it comes to that and interior design but zero 'IT' skills. Is there anything you enjoy that you could port you 'it' skills too? Or is it 'IT' you've totally fallen out of love with?

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

Merton

Maybe pick up a side hobby.

Make your hobby your job. Although that can make you resent your hobby a bit if you still hate the work.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I always thought working in IT would be quite cool and non stressful. I know a lot of IT theory but not very much practical skills.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

"I feel for you. I'm stuck in a job that I'm unhappy but just don't know what I would love to do. This job also fits in with my hectic life and is only a 10 minutes drive from home. My bosses are great too, but I am just so fed up of the job.

Ruby

My mum was with a postie for about 5 years, and it sounded like a pretty high stress job to be honest. Really pretty tight delivery schedules along your route. That's only his experience of course, but still. "

Perhaps depends where you're based, I imagine trying to meet tight schedules in some towns/cities would be horrendous.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

I expect IT is well paid and IT professionals in demand. I worked as a health & social care manager, before that a nurse. It fucked my mind and body up and did not pay me enough for all the stress.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Time to explore you must have some ideas that you would enjoy doing I've only ever gone for what I'm going to jump out of bed spring into action and feel happy going to work whilst doing this work

By *rooperRedMan  over a year ago

Littlehampton

Get a coach. Explore your options. Find out what you love doing and get someone to pay you for it.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I've had 5 jobs in my lifetime to date. Three of those were for the same family over 34 years. I walked away in 2019 due to lack of respect and appreciation for all I had done over that period of time.

The level of stress was soul destroying.

I took on a new challenge which had its own difficulties and expectations but the salary was good.

That was interrupted by covid and lockdown exactly a year later. After 6 months on furlough my role was deemed surplus to requirements and I was let go while all the staff I had employed and trained were kept on.

It was a blessing in disguise though as I started helping a friend with his business and during all the lockdown difficulties and issues the company has gone from strength to strength just by word of mouth.

Financially I took a major hit but I come and go as I please, the craic is good and I laugh every day.

I was lucky to fall into this job without having to search but stress levels are almost non existent and quality of life is so much better.

By *ore4fundevonCouple  over a year ago

West Devon

I have 2 jobs, I enjoy both but wouldn't want to do either solely. I work for a local haulage company as a depot Supervisor. Enjoy the challenges of what we do planning wise and dealing with breakdowns etc but the red tape is tiresome and the 4am alarm call can be hard.

I also run my own business (tradesman) get huge satisfaction from a job well done, love meeting new people (one of the reasons I like this lifestyle) and love doing something to bring happiness to a customer but the worry of the phone not ringing (such as through Covid) and not getting paid is overwhelming and ruins it.

Fortunately both jobs compliment each other for me and also because they are so vastly different the boredom doesn't often set it.

I've always believed you should be happy in your work but if it was easy or more like a hobby, it wouldn't be work and you wouldn't get paid.

Retire

"You find what you love and you make it your job "

this

By *averick20000Man  over a year ago

Beverley

Love my job, soldier here x

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"I absolutely detest my job in IT. I have had six jobs in the last 10 years and I have hated all except one of them. Every day I wake up dreading what shit is going to be thrown at me and wondering how I'm going to get through it. The only job I quite liked I got made redundant from.

I have been in management for a long time and I want to step down and do a more rank-and-file job, but my CV has management all over it so I don't know if I'd be taken seriously in a lower-hierarchy job. I don't have up-to-date skills and experience because being in management doesn't have me doing the day-to-day stuff.

This is kind of ranty and rhetorical. I don't know if there is an answer. I'm just sick of the stress. I'd rather get paid less and not have so much aggro. It's not like I'm any good at what I do. I have done the classic thing of being promoted beyond my abilities.

Maybe I should try a different area of IT, or get out of it completely? But how do I start again in a field I have no experience in and still earn enough to keep a roof over my head?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated, but please no sympathy. Luke "

Come and head up our IT dept - they are absolutely shite at times and so arrogant with it. One guy I refuse to speak to

Loughborough

"I always thought working in IT would be quite cool and non stressful. I know a lot of IT theory but not very much practical skills. "

IT is a hugely broad umbrella of different industries though. Some are by their nature more stressful than others, but a lot comes down to the company you work with and the culture there. Plus on top of that, different people respond to different kinds of stresses, uh, differently.

By *batMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

What's your hobby and could you work in that field?

That's what I did!

Gbat

"Make your hobby your job. Although that can make you resent your hobby a bit if you still hate the work. "

I've sort of done this. The skills I use in my hobby, I'll be using in my new job, it's just far enough removed for me to keep enjoying my hobby.

do a night school class or open uni course - life is far to short not to enjoy your day at work?

or just learn to enjoy what you have - work out the good bits of your job - keep them and see if you change to bad!

the grass is not always greener !

be careful what you wish for an all that!

Ruislip

[Removed by poster at 03/01/22 23:14:46]

Ruislip

What I really want is to learn a skill and do it every day in a job. I've learned various things like Windows server admin, second-line support, a bit of automated testing and things, but I've never landed a job where I use them, so my skills just fester unused.

I find databases interesting (I'll get my anorak) and I've learned some stuff, but I have no way of using it.

My real love is music. I'm an advanced pianist, and although I do lessons and enjoy that a lot, I doubt I could earn enough to survive. I think music is the only job I could ever seeing myself loving but I think that's an impossible dream.

I'd just like to find a job that's OK. I'm happy to study, but I only want to do that if I know there's a job at the end of it. I've made that mistake before.

I'd rather like a job where I help people. Maybe a carer? But the money is not good I hear. I still need to meet my financial commitments.

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

Go on a course to be a developer or scrum master. Plenty it jobs about if you know where to look...

By *akie32Man  over a year ago

winchester

find a hobby you love and find a way to make it pay

Ruislip

The job I had that I liked was because of the people. It was a small and supportive team and we got on really well in a calm atmosphere. There were no arseholes and no ridiculous expectations. Unfortunately that's not something that can ever be guaranteed. Usually the worst thing about any job in my experience are the arseholes who want to be shitty. There's almost always at least one.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I found what I thought was my dream job working in a bike frame manufacturing company, the bosses where total twats and the job lost its appeal very quickly.

Ruislip

"I found what I thought was my dream job working in a bike frame manufacturing company, the bosses where total twats and the job lost its appeal very quickly."

I usually find it's the people that screw up a job.

"I absolutely detest my job in IT. I have had six jobs in the last 10 years and I have hated all except one of them. Every day I wake up dreading what shit is going to be thrown at me and wondering how I'm going to get through it. The only job I quite liked I got made redundant from.

(Mr here) I’d say you probably have two options.

1) Crack the books and up-skill to get up to date. If you have a good story on the process and methodology - then given the shortage of current skills you might be surprised. Spin the interview on how you can bring your wider experience to help with the role. Good planning is good planning and great tech alone skills don’t always guarantee good results. So experience can be transferable.

2) Consider going into project management, there’s a big shortage of people who actually properly understand the technical side and can plan and control a project well. Your management skills may well transfer to that kind of role and the currency of the technical hands on skills not as critical.

All the best with your deliberation and search. Be brave and make the leap.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Why don’t you go contracting as a BA or PM , easy money and mostly outside of IR35. Contract rates even outside London are £500-£700 per day . You must be able to BA or PM with your experience ?

By *rygveMan  over a year ago

The Shires

Have a look at the IT contracting market if the perm world isn’t cutting it. Yes there are pro’s and cons but its much more flexible even with IR35.

Google National careers service skills assessment. See if that throws up anything wild.

Good luck.

"I always thought working in IT would be quite cool and non stressful. I know a lot of IT theory but not very much practical skills. "

There are many roles in IT that can be very stressful, especially those in management roles where you’re never really off the clock. Big budget projects that need to come in on time, or operational issues where a business system is down and has to come back up ‘or else’. These are just two examples. It can be very rewarding, exciting but at times and in the wrong place at the wrong time very stressful too… but ‘those times’ are also the opportunities if they are played right. Tis “all in the game”

I’ve had two jobs in my 45 years of working, 22 years in the army and 23 years in the fire service, I think I’ve been very lucky to have loved both

Dubai & Nottingham

"II have done the classic thing of being promoted beyond my abilities. "

I doubt that’s true. The people who promoted and recruited you did so because you were the best option they had at the time, it’s on them not you, just do the best you can and that enough.

This is what I tell my staff when they struggle like this.

Every role/company with have frustrations and pressure, But you get through it if you believe in the company and team so make sure your next company is a really good one, the role is irrelevant , I have taken pay cuts to get in the right companies

By *it-chrissyTV/TS  over a year ago

sw. london

go self-employed.

x

Why don’t you go contracting as a BA or PM , easy money and mostly outside of IR35. Contract rates even outside London are £500-£700 per day . You must be able to BA or PM with your experience ?"

Since the government changed the rules recently, a large and growing number of companies will not employ contractors outside of IR35. If it is a direction you are thinking about then get some advice.

Dubai & Nottingham

"Have a look at the IT contracting market if the perm world isn’t cutting it. Yes there are pro’s and cons but its much more flexible even with IR35. "

It’s really picking up again , you can have employee status now and still earn a good daily rate , yes you have to pay 45% tax but still way better than a salary.

Dubai & Nottingham

Why don’t you go contracting as a BA or PM , easy money and mostly outside of IR35. Contract rates even outside London are £500-£700 per day . You must be able to BA or PM with your experience ?

Since the government changed the rules recently, a large and growing number of companies will not employ contractors outside of IR35. If it is a direction you are thinking about then get some advice. "

So I don’t work fir U.K. companies , but Im told can do it outside IR35 still in the U.K. or with employee status , pay tax & get benefits like paid holidays, sick leave, private healthcare etc

By *entakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

I like my job at the moment but the pay is awful. As far as I can tell the most enjoyable ones usually pay dreadfully even though you work your backside off as hard if not harder.

It's disillusioning. I'd love to get paid well for doing something I genuinely enjoy but I'm losing hope.

By *hunderace...Man  over a year ago

Dudley

Choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life... Oscar Wilde

Move to the third sector.

Work for a cause your passionate about.

I will never be well off in compassion to those doing my job in the private sector, but money isn't everything.

What's the cost of feeling miserable?

By *akie32Man  over a year ago

winchester

ive been self employed most of my life, i started working for a big company, not in it , and hated it, set up on my own and made a killing but hated the admin side, then went to contracting, best of both worlds

I get bored of jobs quite quickly and tend to change every 1 to 2 years. If I'm constantly learning and not being told what to do I'm usually ok for slightly longer. Only exception to that was when I had a temp job as a cleaner a couple of years ago and was surprisingly very happy doing it as I just got to chat to other workers and I got some satisfaction of doing a good job.

Since the government changed the rules recently, a large and growing number of companies will not employ contractors outside of IR35. If it is a direction you are thinking about then get some advice.

So I don’t work fir U.K. companies , but Im told can do it outside IR35 still in the U.K. or with employee status , pay tax & get benefits like paid holidays, sick leave, private healthcare etc "

As I said a large and growing number of UK companies won't touch you if you are Outside IR35, Government have closed the contractor tax loophole. My comment was simply to say, if anyone is going down the contractor route, need to get good advice.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I like my job at the moment but the pay is awful. As far as I can tell the most enjoyable ones usually pay dreadfully even though you work your backside off as hard if not harder.

It's disillusioning. I'd love to get paid well for doing something I genuinely enjoy but I'm losing hope. "

I think these are the jobs we call "vocations". We feel that we're actually making a positive impact on lives, society etc and in some cases (not all), the satisfaction of having that positive impact compensates somewhat for a lower salary. As in, people choose the job in SPITE of the pay. Obviously, we do all need to earn enough to live though.

Ruislip

I tried contracting for 5½ years and spent two of those years unemployed wondering if I'll ever get another job again. I don't have the technical skills which are in demand. Occasionally there are jobs that don't require the technical skills but they are hard to come by.

I'm in a rut with technical skills. I have learned several but never got a job where I could develop them. I'm very wary about studying something for it to go nowhere yet again. I can't get a job without having those technical skills and I can't really learn the technical skills without doing them in a proper job. Catch 22. Training will only get me so far I find.

I can't go back to contracting. It was a nightmare that drove me to total depression. What I want is a job where I can learn something and get really good at it by doing it all the time.

Ruislip

1) Crack the books and up-skill to get up to date. If you have a good story on the process and methodology - then given the shortage of current skills you might be surprised. Spin the interview on how you can bring your wider experience to help with the role. Good planning is good planning and great tech alone skills don’t always guarantee good results. So experience can be transferable.

2) Consider going into project management, there’s a big shortage of people who actually properly understand the technical side and can plan and control a project well. Your management skills may well transfer to that kind of role and the currency of the technical hands on skills not as critical.

All the best with your deliberation and search. Be brave and make the leap. "

Thanks for the suggestion, but one of the reasons I hate my current job so much is that I have been made a project manager. I'm a test manager and I have very little idea what I'm doing. I was just told one day that I'll be managingthree projects, despite having no background as a PM and I don't know anything about what these projects are delivering.

I want less responsibility not more. I want to go down the hierarchy, not up it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but one of the reasons I hate my current job so much is that I have been made a project manager. I'm a test manager and I have very little idea what I'm doing. I was just told one day that I'll be managingthree projects, despite having no background as a PM and I don't know anything about what these projects are delivering.

I want less responsibility not more. I want to go down the hierarchy, not up it. "

then tell who ever gave you that responsibility, Its not for you -Or fake it till you make it? xx

good luck

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple  over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

Contact the company that made you redundant and ask if they are recruiting again. Tell them that you loved the previous role that you had and would like the opportunity to work for them again.

The worst you are going to get is a no.

By *heLaserGuyMan  over a year ago

Coventry

After making a few poor decisions with my landscape business I was forced to take on a mon to fri job which although when I started wasn't too bad, 2 years on and I loathe it too.

Ive developed my hobby (lasers) into a business and am just at the very edge of it being my permanent job.

Im running the odd big dance event but not enough to be able to comfortably move into it full time.

Hating your job I have to say is awful, I cannot wait for the day I hand my notice in but until I get a club residency im stuck where I am.

I feel for the OP, maybe have a frank talk to your manager and see what they say. Stressing about work is definitely not good for you.

Best of luck

By *ifty grades of shadyCouple  over a year ago

Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight

"After making a few poor decisions with my landscape business I was forced to take on a mon to fri job which although when I started wasn't too bad, 2 years on and I loathe it too.

Ive developed my hobby (lasers) into a business and am just at the very edge of it being my permanent job.

Im running the odd big dance event but not enough to be able to comfortably move into it full time.

Hating your job I have to say is awful, I cannot wait for the day I hand my notice in but until I get a club residency im stuck where I am.

I feel for the OP, maybe have a frank talk to your manager and see what they say. Stressing about work is definitely not good for you.

Best of luck "

and your hatred for the current job is a motivation to move on.

By *heLaserGuyMan  over a year ago

Coventry

"After making a few poor decisions with my landscape business I was forced to take on a mon to fri job which although when I started wasn't too bad, 2 years on and I loathe it too.

Best of luck and your hatred for the current job is a motivation to move on."

So very true, I know the work im doing re the lasers is niche but it would be a dream job.

The motivation to make that leap is huge, its resisting the urge to jump too soon. But on the bright side ive finally got to the point where I need one more cog to fall into place.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

Work in care. Underpaid, stressful but so very rewarding.

Dubai & Nottingham

I want less responsibility not more. I want to go down the hierarchy, not up it.

then tell who ever gave you that responsibility, Its not for you -Or fake it till you make it? xx

good luck "

He doesn’t need to fake it , it’s meant to be hard/challenging, you just have to find the rewards to match

OP - there’s no going back to tech. Own the role, you should be the problem solver, solution/fix architect, projects manager and coach/mentor. It’s a completely different skill set but as notice above tech sectors need people that can do all this but also have a solid grasp of the tech. Developing people below you abs managing up effectively is very rewarding

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Luke......

No one dies in this country from downsizing.

They do die from slow destruction.

Think about when you are happiest.... find a way of making a living from it, even if it's a small one.

Don't leave it so long that the whole of your life is a regret.

I have a memento mori calendar where there are 80 lines each with 52 squares. Each week I tick off one square.

I have so few lines left on my calendar Luke..... I SEE the end. Live the journey , don't wait for destinations. Start now. You are not your job

By *hristopherd999Man  over a year ago

Brentwood

I worked in IT for 20 years, got made redundant a couple of years ago, done several different temp jobs since then got laid off from cuurent job on Christmas Eve!

By *aggy dollsCouple  over a year ago

Bradford

15 years in the same industry across 3 different companies, tried to change career last year and found myself unemployed in november (through no fault of my own), still searching for something but struggling and I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest as everyone wants experienced etc of you have all sorts of cards and accreditations that I've never heard of before. I guess what I'm saying is tread carefully as the grass may not be greener on the other side.

Mr Hayes.

» Add a new message to this topic