FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Any car mechanic types on here?

Any car mechanic types on here?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've bought a car that has sat for about a year in a garage.

I've sorted the engine gearbox etc.. But not sure about the tyres.

The rear ones had small cracks in them so they've been replaced. The tyre fitter said the two front ones look fine.

Ages are a late 2018 tyre and early 2017 tyre, 3mm left on em.

After being stood still for a year would that bugger them up even more? 3mm tread is low so could just do them

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Tony Montana can fix everything.

By *J52Man  over a year ago

chessington

Personally I would play on the safe side and replace...better to be safe then sorry....

Being its the only thing between you staying on tarmac or going into the wall...(or worse) personally i'd say replace them. They may look fine but for the sake of 1.4mm of use do you want to take that chance.

I thought this was going to be a "towing bar" style thread, but sadly no, it's actually car advice

Get new tyres all round!!

Get them changed! I would also be inclined to double check everything literally everything, a car stood still for a long time always sets off alarm bells in my head.

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Definitely get them changed

Deffo replace the tyres, service with oil change and I would also say to replace the brake pads, shoes and discs as well as look at the condition of the brake pipes if it's been stood for a while

By *moothCriminal_xMan  over a year ago

Redditch

Pay the AA to do a used vehicle check. How much is the car worth? If you have to do pads and discs and shoes instantly then thats 350 or more probably, plus 2 tyres so 500 on a car you are buying the day you buy itnneeds to be factored in to purchase price

HPI check is a good idea and I recently discovered that you can check historical MOT'S on a car so you can see Any advisories and failures.....this helped loads when I was planning what my car needed and possible issues.

By *aturistsCouple  over a year ago

Stockton

Remove your rubber you get more feedback lol

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Oil change, change filters, check water level and brakes. Don't take any chances on tyres, it's too important.

Our most recent car stood for two years

Yep yer all right, each and everyone of yers.. I don't know what the OP was thinking posting this thread jeez!

Mechanic and drifter here, I spend my time working fitting tyres and my time off destroying them, if your in doubt at all change them, the law states there’s must be 1.6MM of tread depth across 3 quarters of the tyre with so cuts or deep gashes to the side wall, the only part of your tyre thats in contact with the road is the size of your palm so it’s not worth it at all what kind of car is it ???

Fun fact lorry tyres can run for longer than a car and only have to have 1mm of thread depth that’s a always scared me as 120psi isent nice when it blows out (seen it happen scary stuff)

"Mechanic and drifter here, I spend my time working fitting tyres and my time off destroying them, if your in doubt at all change them, the law states there’s must be 1.6MM of tread depth across 3 quarters of the tyre with so cuts or deep gashes to the side wall, the only part of your tyre thats in contact with the road is the size of your palm so it’s not worth it at all what kind of car is it ???

Fun fact lorry tyres can run for longer than a car and only have to have 1mm of thread depth that’s a always scared me as 120psi isent nice when it blows out (seen it happen scary stuff) "

1.25 zetec., I'm booked in

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

If they have been sat in same spot for a year I'd replace.

"If they have been sat in same spot for a year I'd replace."

» Add a new message to this topic