FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Veganuary 2022

Veganuary 2022

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Have you heard if it..... are you interested... Are you trying it ??

Not heard if it ?? Check it out on Google: Veganuary is a non-profit organisation, set up to encourage people to try vegan, with a specific pledge for January - there are recipe suggestions and nutrition advice available

500k people participated in 2021

January is a fab time if you are interested in trying vegan or plant based as there are so many new prducts being launched and a lot of support is available

Need any help? Ping me, I'd be delighted to support you

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Good vegan soup recipes please, not sure I manage veganism. But do want to reduce meat consumption generally.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Good vegan soup recipes please, not sure I manage veganism. But do want to reduce meat consumption generally. "

Tomatoes, basil, soy sauce, veg stock, salt, pepper, lemon juice, thyme, coconut milk. Throw some lentils in after blending if you want extra protein.

I've heard it but there's a huge misconception that meat is bad for the planet when it's not. (alongside animal products) and that we should all be vegan.

35% of beef is imported and 90% of UK beef is exported (just quick bmpa stats). That doesn't make sense? If we ate British meat we could play a small part in bettering the environment and wouldn't need to think we have to eat plant based to offset the carbon produced. Plus our animal welfare is much higher than the likes of NZ.

I know that wasn't your point OP but it's so easy for people to think vegan is better for the environment. And I know some people just don't like eating animals which is of course fine

Hopefully you see my point as not a dig, but to educate others that automatically think plant based is better because a charity or the government says so

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Don't think I could go full on vegan but I might start having a few more meat free days.

My sister used to only eat meat at the weekends. Might try that but will still have dairy, mainly milk.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I've been vegan for five years.

Tip 1. ALL food is vegan unless it's got animal in it. ( that's not a joke you'd be surprised how many people think that there is such a thing as vegan food )

Tip 2. Don't buy into vegan ready meals.

Work out how to get your protein so that your eating stays balanced.

No recipes or special foods needed. Just don't eat other creatures.

B.T.W......... No one can tell me that a cauliflower is a steak ..... okay? Not even if it's slathered in smokey sauce and bbq'd.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Just do the Mediterranean diet folks. One diet known to be healthier than the rest.

By *racy_JacksWoman  over a year ago

Derby

"I've been vegan for five years.

Tip 1. ALL food is vegan unless it's got animal in it. ( that's not a joke you'd be surprised how many people think that there is such a thing as vegan food )

B.T.W......... No one can tell me that a cauliflower is a steak ..... okay? Not even if it's slathered in smokey sauce and bbq'd.

"

My partner is vegan and he HATES the cauliflower thing, especially things like ‘cauliflower steak’ smothered in BBQ sauce

He does most of the cooking for us, he’s much better at it than I am and even though I eat meat I never feel like I’m missing out

I did get him thinking more about his protein consumption though as a lot of recipes and meals in restaurants can be fairly light with that

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

No chance.

"Good vegan soup recipes please, not sure I manage veganism. But do want to reduce meat consumption generally. "

Ohhh i have some delicious recipes for mushroom, a roasted pepper one and i have an insane spicy one that everyone who has tasted it implores me to sell

I'll message you!

By *traddle VariousWoman  over a year ago

Salford

"Just do the Mediterranean diet folks. One diet known to be healthier than the rest."

It included oily fish ....... fish have eyes.... Mrs. Fish misses Mr. Fish

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

I havent eaten meat for think its 7 years my goal is to go vegan x

"Good vegan soup recipes please, not sure I manage veganism. But do want to reduce meat consumption generally.

Tomatoes, basil, soy sauce, veg stock, salt, pepper, lemon juice, thyme, coconut milk. Throw some lentils in after blending if you want extra protein."

Oh i love lentils - add spice and a nice texture!

La la land

"Good vegan soup recipes please, not sure I manage veganism. But do want to reduce meat consumption generally.

Tomatoes, basil, soy sauce, veg stock, salt, pepper, lemon juice, thyme, coconut milk. Throw some lentils in after blending if you want extra protein.

Oh i love lentils - add spice and a nice texture! "

I love lentils and beans. Do make a while bean and kale soup. And a carrot and lentil soup. But currently that is the only soups I can make

"I've heard it but there's a huge misconception that meat is bad for the planet when it's not. (alongside animal products) and that we should all be vegan"

I think the impact is more the environmental impact on resources - such as the land water required to raise livestick.. In essence the food you are feeding to the cattle, would feed humans (figuratively) .. So you are multiplying this effort and using vastly more resources.

There are 3 main reasons people try vegan: health, environment +animals.. For me, its all three boxes

Fareham

People follow fads rather than science fact.

Agriculture has done much damage to the land. Veggies an all.

Farm animals will no longer be required to live at all in a vegan world. But orangutans will still lose habitat due to crop plantations.

Veganism is a dietary choice just as it is for those who choose to eat animal products from a live animal (eggs, cheese etc) or those who choose to eat meat. If anyone wants to go the whole hog and cut out all meat and animal derivatives - go for it, do it, but FFS don’t push it in other people’s faces who aren’t interested. January is January not some made up stupid name for the sake of a dietary choice.

"Don't think I could go full on vegan but I might start having a few more meat free days.

My sister used to only eat meat at the weekends. Might try that but will still have dairy, mainly milk. "

My DD does 2 days a week vegan food! Just make it fit with your life, then it becomes a habit and its easier

I swapped my milk with Oately (which is the most environmentally friendly) and then i moved to Koko unsweetened which i drink by the glass

The key thing is to find one that is fortified with vits (like breakfast cereal) unless you are taking them separately

La la land

"Veganism is a dietary choice just as it is for those who choose to eat animal products from a live animal (eggs, cheese etc) or those who choose to eat meat. If anyone wants to go the whole hog and cut out all meat and animal derivatives - go for it, do it, but FFS don’t push it in other people’s faces who aren’t interested. January is January not some made up stupid name for the sake of a dietary choice. "

Nobody on this thread has pushed anything in anyone's face in this thread, only offered support. This is no different to the thread asking if people are doing a dry January.

"

I you Granny

"Just do the Mediterranean diet folks. One diet known to be healthier than the rest."

Oh yes includes lots of olives oil +veggies!

My partner is vegan and he HATES the cauliflower thing, especially things like ‘cauliflower steak’ smothered in BBQ sauce

He does most of the cooking for us, he’s much better at it than I am and even though I eat meat I never feel like I’m missing out

I did get him thinking more about his protein consumption though as a lot of recipes and meals in restaurants can be fairly light with that "

I would recommend Ottolenghi"s celariac 'steak' with Café de Paris Sauce.. It is not at all healthy, but my god, its like sex in your mouth

"Veganism is a dietary choice just as it is for those who choose to eat animal products from a live animal (eggs, cheese etc) or those who choose to eat meat. If anyone wants to go the whole hog and cut out all meat and animal derivatives - go for it, do it, but FFS don’t push it in other people’s faces who aren’t interested. January is January not some made up stupid name for the sake of a dietary choice.

Nobody on this thread has pushed anything in anyone's face in this thread, only offered support. This is no different to the thread asking if people are doing a dry January. "

I didn’t say they had, & I realise that it’s Support being offered. But ultimately the very changing of the months name from January to “veganuary” IS pushing the “lifestyle” in people’s faces. I don’t have an issue with people being vegan, if that’s what they choose then fine, but don’t push it in people’s faces.

Happy New Year and enjoy your bean feasts

By *olden RatioWoman  over a year ago

Buckinghamshire

There's a great kale stir fry recipe with the most amazing sauce made from tahini, orange juice, ginger, garlic and tamari. I'll try to find the link!

I try and cut down meat, but not really a massive fan. I have some friends that are farmers and January isn’t a good month for seasonal veg, so more has to be imported to cope with demand therefore has an adverse affect on what the end goal is.

"I havent eaten meat for think its 7 years my goal is to go vegan x"

Oh that is very exciting! Do you need any help? There is an excellent fb grouo which is very friendly and only focused on food - i can message you its name

"People follow fads rather than science fact.

Farm animals will no longer be required to live at all in a vegan world. But orangutans will still lose habitat due to crop plantations."

We do indeed have a long way to go to heal the world we have ravaged

"Veganism is a dietary choice just as it is for those who choose to eat animal products from a live animal (eggs, cheese etc) or those who choose to eat meat. If anyone wants to go the whole hog and cut out all meat and animal derivatives - go for it, do it, but FFS don’t push it in other people’s faces who aren’t interested. January is January not some made up stupid name for the sake of a dietary choice. "

Oh i think they just thought it was catchy and lots of people resolve to eat more healthily in January so i guess it's some marketeers idea!

Have you not seem the dairy +meat campaigns in Feb + march.. I can't remember what they tagged themselves

By *damandeve4funCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"I've heard it but there's a huge misconception that meat is bad for the planet when it's not. (alongside animal products) and that we should all be vegan.

35% of beef is imported and 90% of UK beef is exported (just quick bmpa stats). That doesn't make sense? If we ate British meat we could play a small part in bettering the environment and wouldn't need to think we have to eat plant based to offset the carbon produced. Plus our animal welfare is much higher than the likes of NZ.

I know that wasn't your point OP but it's so easy for people to think vegan is better for the environment. And I know some people just don't like eating animals which is of course fine

Hopefully you see my point as not a dig, but to educate others that automatically think plant based is better because a charity or the government says so "

People don't think that plant-based is better than meat just because a charity or government say so - but because science has found that to be the case, so it is no misconception.

Do you really think that a Tory government - despite all its meat and dairy industry links, sponsors and farmer members - would be advising people to eat less meat if there wasn't overwhelming scientific evidence?

Indeed, partly for that reason it has taken them 10 years to do something about it since the World Health Organisation and United Nations started telling governments around the world that scientific evidence showed that the biggest single thing an individual can do (other than give up fossil fuels) to help tackle climate change was to give up meat and dairy.

Yes, buying local beef instead of imported reduces your carbon footprint, but it still doesn't make it better for the environment than eating plant-based. The footprint of even imported fruit and veg is still less than domestic beef.

Much of the counter argument points fingers at, for example, soya - saying that soya, which is included in many processed plant-based foods, is a major reason for cutting down the Brazilian rainforest. Of course, this ignores the fact that 95% of the soya from the Brazilian rainforests goes to feeding cattle and other animals used for food production. And, anyway, there are plenty of plant-based alternatives to soy.

As for animal welfare, no amount of welfare measures - and there are countless videos proving abuse of animals in British farms and slaughterhouses - can excuse the fact that you are prematurely ending the life of an animal that doesn't want to die, an animal that loves, feels pain, feels desire and has emotions, etc, just like us.

Yes, there will be a lot of people now thinking about turning vegan because of climate change and other environmental reasons, such as rewilding the countryside. There are many too who are seeing how it has helped the like of Djokovic, Williams, Messi and Aguero dominate their respective sports, how vegans on average live longer, have less diabetes, less heart disease and less cancer, etc, and are therefore doing it for health reasons.

However, even they then often begin to see the arguments against abusing and killing animals for our selfish pleasure (food, clothing, etc, when there are plentiful, more ethical and cheap alternatives) and it is for this reason that the future is plant-based - and it needs to be to save humanity and other animals from extinction.

Glasgow

For most vegans, it is not simply a dietary choice. It is an ethical one. I loved meat, fish and dairy before the lightbulb went on about not only the abuse of animals in food, clothing and so many other industries but also about the rights of living beings not to be used by another species for their selfish pleasure.

As for you taking offence at Veganuary. It is merely a marketing campaign and I assume you are similarly offended by other days being hijacked to call them things like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Christmas.

If you feel threatened by a "dietary choice", you should have tried being a vegan trying to get an ethical choice on an all-inclusive holiday, non-vegan restaurants, on a plane, at company events, even supermarkets until the change that started about five years ago when mainstream companies started to see the light.

If you are offended by advertising of Veganuary, just think how vegans have felt for decades when animal abuse (meat, dairy, fish, leather, wool) fills the TV and other advertising outlets every single day. We learn to just switch off or turn away and I'm sure you can do the same with Veganuary.

At the end of the day, you could have just ignored this post and scrolled on. The OP wasn't pushing anything on anyone. She was just offering herself as a source of advice if anyone was interested.

"

Have you not seem the dairy +meat campaigns in Feb + march.. I can't remember what they tagged themselves "

No, I haven’t. Guess I don’t notice that because I eat meat.

By the way, I didn’t “take offence” at your post as some seem to think, but I’ve had friends who were either vegan when I met them or turned vegan and all I get it you shouldn’t eat animals. I used to ride horses and one now ex friend had a go at me for this, saying all horses should be running free not cooped up in stables or fields, or being ridden etc etc, but then later on I realised she was heavily into PETA, which basically explained everything about her.

Best wishes for 2022

Glasgow

"People follow fads rather than science fact.

Farm animals will no longer be required to live at all in a vegan world. But orangutans will still lose habitat due to crop plantations."

Science fact? Yes, there is no perfect food system without some harm to the environment and animals, but the science shows that the meat, dairy and fish industries do far more damage to the environment and climate than plant-based ones.

Your orangutans argument is whataboutery. They have largely lost their habitat because of palm oil, which is a product used by more meat eaters than vegans.

You'll also find that there are lots of vegans who avoid palm oil, or make sure it is from ethical, sustainable sources, for that very reason and the community is probably more aware of the environmental impacts of our eating than the general non-vegan population.

As for the rainforests in general, 95% of the soy that is cultivated in land where they have cut down trees is actually destined to feed animals. So it is the meat industry that is destroying habitats for more.

As for your hint that you think veganism is a fad. It is no more of a fad than meat eating because our earliest ancestors were as likely to be fully plant-based as they were to be meat eaters depending on which part of the world they lived in and what food was more - and more easily - available. More recently, it is true, veganism has been catching on to such an extent that the numbers are multiplying annually because of the benefits to the climate, health, environment and, of course, animal welfare.

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

There is no such thing as a Mediterranean Diet. Marketing and misrepresentation of a vegan researchers skewed and fraudulent findings over 50 yrs ago.

The countries described actually at a large amount of animal based foods and are high in fat and protein.

If you take anything from the MD then it is to eat whole foods, prepared and cooked by yourself from scratch. This in itself would rid society of vast amounts of disease and lengthen life for all.

Fareham

Such hot air over what people choose to put into their stomach.

Did my let others choose for you.

Nobody can prove Veganism will make for a better planet at least for comfy westerners.

Sorry but no, not for me as I like my meats too much

Glasgow

"Such hot air over what people choose to put into their stomach.

Nobody can prove Veganism will make for a better planet at least for comfy westerners. "

Scientific evidence heavily suggests it does...

As for animals, they don't have a choice about whether they are abused and killed for human pleasure.

Nobody can prove Veganism will make for a better planet at least for comfy westerners. "

I'm not even vegan but this is so mind-blowingly ignorant that I'm astounded

Fareham

Let’s have a month without cotton, dyeing or laying cement. Also leave the car at home and get out and walk.

Rip up the plastic lawn and have a mud bath for birds and amphibians.

No? Not cool to boast about sadly..

By *ackandtheunicornCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

Nobody can prove Veganism will make for a better planet at least for comfy westerners.

I'm not even vegan but this is so mind-blowingly ignorant that I'm astounded"

Indeed it really is mind blowingly ignorant. How someone, who has the world's information at the fingertips can come out with such a statement really is insane.

Veganism is well proven to be substantially better for the environment.

We've been vegan for 10 years and would recommend everyone try it.

It's safe to say in the future, with overpopulation going as bad as it is, you won't really have a choice as the world being vegan is the only way we can feed this many people.

Fareham

Indeed it really is mind blowingly ignorant. How someone, who has the world's information at the fingertips can come out with such a statement really is insane.

It's safe to say in the future, with overpopulation going as bad as it is, you won't really have a choice as the world being vegan is the only way we can feed this many people."

Ignorant? Not accepting others views is staggering ignorant. Nobody has quoted any references to combat my argument.

Argument is debate. Everybody knows healthy debate is tricky on the internet which is full of untruths.

Enjoy your avocado. I’m iff to pick home gown winter greens and check on my chickens. See you later.

I'm holding out for Meatember.

"

Enjoy your avocado. I’m iff to pick home gown winter greens and check on my chickens. See you later."

I eat meat too you melt, but I'm aware of the impact that the animal industry (and some vegan industries to be fair) have because I know how to research and don't stick my fingers in my ears whenever people say something that I don't like

liverpool

It's safe to say in the future, with overpopulation going as bad as it is, you won't really have a choice as the world being vegan is the only way we can feed this many people.

Ignorant? Not accepting others views is staggering ignorant. Nobody has quoted any references to combat my argument.

Argument is debate. Everybody knows healthy debate is tricky on the internet which is full of untruths.

Enjoy your avocado. I’m iff to pick home gown winter greens and check on my chickens. See you later."

It's not not accepting a view, you're denying scientifically proven fact.

Here's a link from Oxford https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-10-29-plant-based-foods-are-good-both-health-and-environment:

"

Here's a link from Oxford https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2019-10-29-plant-based-foods-are-good-both-health-and-environment:"

To add on, the Wikipedia article which includes numerous sources https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_meat_production

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

To minimise the risk to this planet, stop over eating, eat local, in season and eat what's available.

Learn to cook.

Convincing me that eating food that's been intensively farmed, out of season, fertilised by artificial substances that drain resources and deplete soil quality and are transported thousands of miles in the name so it can be eaten for pleasure...sickens me.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Will make for a better planet for the animals that get devoured though? X

Oh gosh , i know this is an incendiary topic for many and i love the passion from you all, but if we could dial it back a little please

The point of the thread is to help anyone who is curious and thinking about change after all the Xmas excesses no matter their background, circumstance or long term intention...it's also not intended to shame or stop anyone doing what they want to do but I'd hate for someone not to try something new or not to succeed because they needed some help /guidance

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I can manage vegetarian meals but vegan is a step too far for me. Vegan foods just taste "wrong" to me.

Best of luck to those who do give it a try.

Me and my wife trialled a vegan diet a few years ago, mostly to see if any of the health claims had any impact.

Since then we've just continued. I've found the food tastes far better than my previous diets and with the added benefit that I can eat shit loads of it. I've never eaten so much

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

I'd love to try but I'm just a carnivore and can't go without some meet. But I do go veggie part of the week

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Hi Op, Happy New Year!

Interesting topic (not brown nosing), but you sparked a memory of me watching a program about "Tofurkey!" a year or two ago.

It was a porgram on the BBC or ITV I think.... One of those Greg Wallace whats-his-face thingy programs on tv.

It's obviously an American faux Turkey substitute. But they actually said it had all the feel and texture of Turkey. They could not tell the difference... Go figure? Please see link below:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHWcGMBAF5o

Since then I have not seen anything in the supermarket or heard any more?

I won't be changing my eating habbits as I prefer to eat meat. However, I do limit my meat consumption to being no bigger than my palm size, and eat 3-5 portions of veg (sometimes more), to one palm of meat at a meal.

I will look at all types of new cookery recipies irrelevant if it's vegetarian. I don't want to have a boring diet!!!!

When I go to restaurants say "Chinese", I will always go vegie as I eat meat all the time so I want something different. That's just my preference. It used to piss my mate off when I did that!

"I can manage vegetarian meals but vegan is a step too far for me. Vegan foods just taste "wrong" to me.

Best of luck to those who do give it a try."

Oh I'd love to cook for you, it sounds like you've had some bad experiences.. I have too in fairness, i think it makes you a better cook, because eating iut is disappointing

"Me and my wife trialled a vegan diet a few years ago, mostly to see if any of the health claims had any impact.

Since then we've just continued. I've found the food tastes far better than my previous diets and with the added benefit that I can eat shit loads of it. I've never eaten so much

"

That's my favourite bit.. I can eat tonnes!! Eating is one of my main hobbies

"I'd love to try but I'm just a carnivore and can't go without some meet. But I do go veggie part of the week "

Not everybody can do it! How many veggie days do you do?

"Hi Op, Happy New Year!

Interesting topic (not brown nosing), but you sparked a memory of me watching a program about "Tofurkey!" a year or two ago.

It was a porgram on the BBC or ITV I think.... One of those Greg Wallace whats-his-face thingy programs on tv.

It's obviously an American faux Turkey substitute. But they actually said it had all the feel and texture of Turkey. They could not tell the difference... Go figure? Please see link below:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHWcGMBAF5o

Since then I have not seen anything in the supermarket or heard any more?

I won't be changing my eating habbits as I prefer to eat meat. However, I do limit my meat consumption to being no bigger than my palm size, and eat 3-5 portions of veg (sometimes more), to one palm of meat at a meal.

I will look at all types of new cookery recipies irrelevant if it's vegetarian. I don't want to have a boring diet!!!!

When I go to restaurants say "Chinese", I will always go vegie as I eat meat all the time so I want something different. That's just my preference. It used to piss my mate off when I did that! "

Oh you probably eat more tofu than me in that case !

I've had a couple of faux meats recently - quorn ham and the new 'its not bacon' type things which are both great in sandwiches as a quick snack

I'm trying to be more wholefood focused through January

I don’t mind the thought of reducing meat intake for my own health more than any other reason. But I still wanna eat some occasionally.

I shall be making some changes, but not wholesale ones.

"I don’t mind the thought of reducing meat intake for my own health more than any other reason. But I still wanna eat some occasionally.

"

I did that originally. Just had a can of tuna from time to time.

La la land

"Oh gosh , i know this is an incendiary topic for many and i love the passion from you all, but if we could dial it back a little please

The point of the thread is to help anyone who is curious and thinking about change after all the Xmas excesses no matter their background, circumstance or long term intention...it's also not intended to shame or stop anyone doing what they want to do but I'd hate for someone not to try something new or not to succeed because they needed some help /guidance "

By *abble-onMan  over a year ago

Falmer

Veganuary is in poor taste. Throughout January, fresh British produce is at its lowest so we have to import more... to keep up with demand which kinda defeats the point in "saving the planet" which is why most people do veganuary in the first place.

The idea is great but...

"I don’t mind the thought of reducing meat intake for my own health more than any other reason. But I still wanna eat some occasionally.

"

Need any ideas?

"Veganuary is in poor taste. Throughout January, fresh British produce is at its lowest so we have to import more... to keep up with demand which kinda defeats the point in "saving the planet" which is why most people do veganuary in the first place.

The idea is great but..."

We don't live in a perfect world, we're all just doing the best we can

liverpool

"Veganuary is in poor taste. Throughout January, fresh British produce is at its lowest so we have to import more... to keep up with demand which kinda defeats the point in "saving the planet" which is why most people do veganuary in the first place.

The idea is great but..."

So what to the livestock you're eating, eat? Wouldn't be soya flown in from destroyed rainforest would it?

Don't try that "I only eat grass fed beef", you don't, virtually no animals are genuinely grass fed.

Falmer

The idea is great but...

We don't live in a perfect world, we're all just doing the best we can "

Agreed. I just feel the idea would be better executed later in the year, when British produce is at its most abundant?

Need any ideas? "

I’m thinking filling soups, and pasta/rice dishes. I eat quite a lot of that in my food prep’ boxes currently, but with high meat content for protein intake. I have high % of protein demands currently.

The idea is great but...

Agreed. I just feel the idea would be better executed later in the year, when British produce is at its most abundant? "

I think timing wise its more connected to the excesses of xmas and that there are so many people looking to actively change their diet / mindset.

Falmer

The idea is great but...

So what to the livestock you're eating, eat? Wouldn't be soya flown in from destroyed rainforest would it?

Don't try that "I only eat grass fed beef", you don't, virtually no animals are genuinely grass fed."

There's no need to try and goad people into an argument. I have merely added my opinion on veganuary to a thread in a forum... I thought that was the point in the forum?

I don't live a perfect lifestyle, noone does.

Do you always use public transport or walk/cycle whenever possible? Do you only eat food produced in the UK? Are all your clothes purchased from responsible/sustainable sources?

If you do, then you're a better person than 99.999999% of the global population.

Falmer

The idea is great but...

Agreed. I just feel the idea would be better executed later in the year, when British produce is at its most abundant?

I think timing wise its more connected to the excesses of xmas and that there are so many people looking to actively change their diet / mindset."

I get that, but it seems counter-intuitive to do it at a time when British produce is at its lowest.

Need any ideas?

I’m thinking filling soups, and pasta/rice dishes. I eat quite a lot of that in my food prep’ boxes currently, but with high meat content for protein intake. I have high % of protein demands currently. "

Throw some edamame beans in with your brown rice. Loads of protein in that.

Need any ideas?

I’m thinking filling soups, and pasta/rice dishes. I eat quite a lot of that in my food prep’ boxes currently, but with high meat content for protein intake. I have high % of protein demands currently. "

Tofu, tempeh, edamame beans, general + lentils are good sources of protein, supplemented with nuts +seeds

The idea is great but...

I think timing wise its more connected to the excesses of xmas and that there are so many people looking to actively change their diet / mindset.

I get that, but it seems counter-intuitive to do it at a time when British produce is at its lowest."

Yes, i don't know how to get around that really.. I guess we'll always have to supplement our produce with other regions - Europe is perhaps the next best thing

The hope is that by trying for a sustained period you would stick with it through the year.. I think 21 days is the quoted time for something to become a habit.. Just in time for the lovely British produce to start hitting the shelves

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

Am I really the only person that read that as vaginuary? I suppose that depending on the number of volunteers to assist, then I could cope with a month of that being the only animal product in my mouth.

I’m not averse to vegan food. I watched a documentary on Netflix called game changers which I found interesting.

Falmer

The idea is great but...

I get that, but it seems counter-intuitive to do it at a time when British produce is at its lowest.

Yes, i don't know how to get around that really.. I guess we'll always have to supplement our produce with other regions - Europe is perhaps the next best thing

The hope is that by trying for a sustained period you would stick with it through the year.. I think 21 days is the quoted time for something to become a habit.. Just in time for the lovely British produce to start hitting the shelves "

Interesting, never heard the 21 day thing before! Maybe I'll petition for Vegune instead haha

The 'British produce' argument is nonsense.

This country hasn't produced sufficient food to feed its citizens for donkey's years. We live in a global infrastructure. Farmers have long planned their business around it. Eating extra avocados in January isn't harming British farmers.

"Am I really the only person that read that as vaginuary? I suppose that depending on the number of volunteers to assist, then I could cope with a month of that being the only animal product in my mouth. "

"I’m not averse to vegan food. I watched a documentary on Netflix called game changers which I found interesting."

Oh I've seen that too, very interesting!

Did you change anything after watching it?

Fareham

For years I put veggies as the star of any meal. This time of year is great for winter stews and casseroles packed full of vegetables and as much or as little meat as you want.

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

One of my children is vegetarian, hence I often have meat free days. I know a fair amount of what they eat is vegan and I think eventually they will fully embrace a vegan diet.

It’s made me think more about different recipes.

"I’m not averse to vegan food. I watched a documentary on Netflix called game changers which I found interesting.

Did you change anything after watching it? "

Definitely. I did a couple of weeks purely vegan, I found my energy levels went through the roof. The quote about being as strong as an ox resonated with me.

It’s something I’ve implemented in to my diet and will be looking at doing long term

"For years I put veggies as the star of any meal. This time of year is great for winter stews and casseroles packed full of vegetables and as much or as little meat as you want."

Yaasss.. I made a spicy sweet potato and lentil stew for tea with yogurt and garlic naan .. Nom nom !

"One of my children is vegetarian, hence I often have meat free days. I know a fair amount of what they eat is vegan and I think eventually they will fully embrace a vegan diet.

It’s made me think more about different recipes. "

Oh i love this... If you need any inspiration, let me know! I have over 1k recipes

Fareham

"For years I put veggies as the star of any meal. This time of year is great for winter stews and casseroles packed full of vegetables and as much or as little meat as you want.

Yaasss.. I made a spicy sweet potato and lentil stew for tea with yogurt and garlic naan .. Nom nom ! "

Sounds lovely x

"I’m not averse to vegan food. I watched a documentary on Netflix called game changers which I found interesting.

Definitely. I did a couple of weeks purely vegan, I found my energy levels went through the roof. The quote about being as strong as an ox resonated with me.

It’s something I’ve implemented in to my diet and will be looking at doing long term"

Really! That is fab

Let me know if you want any recipe inspiration x

It’s something I’ve implemented in to my diet and will be looking at doing long term

Really! That is fab

Let me know if you want any recipe inspiration x"

Yes please

Mmmmmmm bacon!

Heard an interesting programme on the radio this morning covering many of the claims made on comments here.

For those interested in the impact of meat eating in the Western world, it's about ten minutes long:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001t9w

I have been vegan for two years today, best thing I have ever done health wise and would recommend anyone to give it a try x

By *arlingslutCouple  over a year ago

Devon

[Removed by poster at 23/02/22 07:43:43]

Unfortunately if people eat all the new “ready to eat” vegan meals they won’t be eating healthier.

Just like most processed food it will be full of cr*p.

If you want to be vegetarian or vegan you need to do a lot of research in order to eat a healthy, balanced diet and cook from scratch.

» Add a new message to this topic