FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Lack of respect today.

Lack of respect today.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I'm not talking about the old" in my day kid's had respect for their elders" grandad type moan.

I'm talking

In general it seems that people just have zero respect for anyone or anything.

Not sure if it's been a result of the pandemic or a systematic breakdown in values or right and wrong.

But you see and hear the way people act towards others it really makes me sad.

This insular me first fuck everyone else attitude kinda scares me.

My daughter she's in her mid 20's and I have to remind her that I'm her father and not to talk to me like I'm a piece of dirt.

Now I know I was no angel and but I always knew where to draw a line.

But people just don't seem to give a crap regardless of the age or sex of the person they are being disrespectful towards.

Maybe this is a British thing or even a English or cultural thing.

I'm not sure, but I have definitely noticed a huge downturn in civility in the past couple of years, particularly in the way people drive.

Now is this just me noticing this or has anyone else noticed?

Or are you one of those" fuck everyone else me first types" who think it's not a problem?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *rPeachyMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Definitely. Seems like there is little tolerance for people who have a different opnion these days

By *hesblokeMan  over a year ago

Derbyshire village

Seems like the attitude goes for other aspects of life too, throwaway society type stuff, but yeah there's definitely more of a 'me first' thing. Perhaps it's a sign of the times, but hopefully not.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

I am afraid its all true and has been for a while. Manners has gone out of the window. Not just drivers, although I agree, everywhere in shops, cafes, bars, the petrol station, car parks in the street people just do what they like with no consideration to anyone. Even neighbours don't care that much of what they do and how it affects others around them. Have you tried having a coffee or a meal in peace these days? Surrounded by just loud people with no manners. Customer service in lots of places is just diabolical and hod forbit you dare mention anything.

What have you done, you made me let it all out now hut lets have a new years resolution for all to show respect, good manners and love and care for others. Here is hoping

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I've noticed that the people and things people respect have changed.

For instance my parents automatically give respect to wealthy people and those in the professions. For instance whenever I accompany my father to a medical appointment he calls male doctors sir and is incredibly awkward with women doctors because he's not quite sure how to address them .

I wouldn't dream of doing that

Also "respect your elders" is a load of tosh. Respect is due to all until they show that it isn't.

I've noticed no difference when driving but I've noticed a huge amount of respect from young people where COVID is concerned with regard to distancing and ensuring older people are safe, not so the other way round.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Agree about the driving. Especially after the first lockdown, seemed to be a huge increase in people driving like arseholes.

Don't agree about younger people though. I generally find older people less pleasant these days whereas our kids seem to have really decent friends.

I think older generations are often very entitled and oblivious to how much was handed to them on a plate.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Agree about the driving. Especially after the first lockdown, seemed to be a huge increase in people driving like arseholes.

Don't agree about younger people though. I generally find older people less pleasant these days whereas our kids seem to have really decent friends.

I think older generations are often very entitled and oblivious to how much was handed to them on a plate."

That's an interesting observation, what was handed to us on a plate?

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

I watched an interesting documentary last night made by Monica Lewinsky called 15 minutes of shame, and it’s about how social media has made people more instantly reactionary and intolerant and how it has allowed dehumanisation of people on-line which has then spread more and more into real life with marked decreases in empathy in people matched by increases in narcissism. So, yes, you’re right.

"I watched an interesting documentary last night made by Monica Lewinsky called 15 minutes of shame, and it’s about how social media has made people more instantly reactionary and intolerant and how it has allowed dehumanisation of people on-line which has then spread more and more into real life with marked decreases in empathy in people matched by increases in narcissism. So, yes, you’re right. "

Where is it available?

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

Eurghhh yes! I think there’s a lack of humanity in general these days. So many people with a blinkered outlook that only their own needs matter. It makes me sad.

"Agree about the driving. Especially after the first lockdown, seemed to be a huge increase in people driving like arseholes.

I think older generations are often very entitled and oblivious to how much was handed to them on a plate.

That's an interesting observation, what was handed to us on a plate?"

Shall we start with house price increases, free universities... or did people work really hard for those?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Judging by these responses I think I inhabit a different world.

I personally think the pandemic has accelerated what was already happening OP

The rise of social media and messaging apps has created an environment off not having to learn how to converse properly.

When this skill is lacking then the politeness disappears to. Text speak for example is a shortened version so that comes across in their actual conversations.

Of course keyboard warriors take this into rl too

These are all habits rather than intentional

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Shall we start with house price increases, free universities... or did people work really hard for those?"

Ok. Let's continue with interest rates of 16% on mortgages and the crash of the housing market plunging many of us into negative equity. Free higher education is something I'm extremely grateful for and never think of as having been handed to me on a plate

The self entitlement and lack of respect for things and people really has become a problem. Lack of consequence for peoples actions let’s them get away with all kinds of things. Other countries have such better attitudes and respect.

Thankfully there are many who do give a shit about things and am always appreciative when I meet those people.

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

It’s not so much that we got handed things on a plate, but much more that our generation had many things that have been taken away, or denuded, or made more difficult in terms of trying to get on in life and I think that the boomer generation often struggles to see the difficulties that younger generations face.

So we got free university education and could leave uni debt free

We didn’t have to deal with things like zero hours contracts

The cost of housing and rent proportional to wages was so much lower, it was far easier to get on the property ladder

That’s to say nothing of the problems around social media, climate change etc.

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

"I watched an interesting documentary last night made by Monica Lewinsky called 15 minutes of shame, and it’s about how social media has made people more instantly reactionary and intolerant and how it has allowed dehumanisation of people on-line which has then spread more and more into real life with marked decreases in empathy in people matched by increases in narcissism. So, yes, you’re right.

Where is it available? "

I watched it on my Kodi through a fire stick, I’m not sure how easy it is to find generally

I think all ages and generations have people that are respectful and others that aren't. I have to say the lack of respect for emergency services and healthcare is shown in different ways in different ages.

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

Being part of an older generation. Some comments on here don't seem to fit. Take mask wearing more older people are wearing them than younger people, but I have also noticed that a lot of foreign people are not following the rules so not sure if this is rubbing off on the rest of the population. I personally observe distancing and try to be as courteous as possible

"It’s not so much that we got handed things on a plate, but much more that our generation had many things that have been taken away, or denuded, or made more difficult in terms of trying to get on in life and I think that the boomer generation often struggles to see the difficulties that younger generations face.

The cost of housing and rent proportional to wages was so much lower, it was far easier to get on the property ladder

That’s to say nothing of the problems around social media, climate change etc."

I wouldn't disagree with that.

It seems to me that many older people talk as though they were able to drag themselves from the gutter to the mountain top oblivious to the cable car pulling them most of the way up.

Then they get angry at those unable to benefit from the cable car... even though it was them that shut it down.

Been going downhill for years , respect has long gone , I walked past a man having a heart attack in the street , he was getting help by paramedics but there was about 20 people will teens all filming it on there phones , he died but they carried on till the police turned up , shocking lack of respect, what do they want with this footage, likes on tik tok , it’s all about getting likes on social media , sad world

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Nope think it's much the same as its allways been if anything think people are more respectful than our generation well mine anyway x

"Being part of an older generation. Some comments on here don't seem to fit. Take mask wearing more older people are wearing them than younger people, but I have also noticed that a lot of foreign people are not following the rules so not sure if this is rubbing off on the rest of the population. I personally observe distancing and try to be as courteous as possible "

How do you know they're foreign?

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 31/12/21 12:16:56]

By *egoMan  over a year ago

Preston

I’ve noticed this, lots of aggression.

Completely unnecessary, even when they are in the wrong.

Even a woman parked on double yellows, making it really awkward to pass, had to fold mirrors in. I wound my window down, as did she, I said, that’s why we have double yellows so cars don’t park there. She was like ok, whatever, I get last and all the abuse starts flying.

I feel I want to be a new super hero called ‘consequences’. You’re talking to me like a piece of shit, yet we haven’t been introduced. Hi, I’m consequences. And just unleash fury. Maybe they’ll be a bit more respectful of strangers in future.

There really is no need for such aggression, we are practically spoon fed everything, no real struggles so why can’t we all just get along.

yumsville

Shall we start with house price increases, free universities... or did people work really hard for those?"

I can understand house price increases for some, though it's not exactly handed on a plate. If you didn't take advantage (or were in a position to), and buy your home/house, you would still be renting. Many of my extended family past and present still rent well into their 80's despite working all their life.

Again, free university - it will only have helped those in their mid-late 40's maybe early 50's, as it was a push to get people educated.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

Laws and rules that come in to protect are the same rules and laws that get abused by the entitled era/attitude.

Lack of consequence or seeing said consequence.

Lack of empathy and thought or consideration.

"Again, free university - it will only have helped those in their mid-late 40's maybe early 50's, as it was a push to get people educated. "

er?!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It’s not so much that we got handed things on a plate, but much more that our generation had many things that have been taken away, or denuded, or made more difficult in terms of trying to get on in life and I think that the boomer generation often struggles to see the difficulties that younger generations face.

That’s to say nothing of the problems around social media, climate change etc."

Ok. I personally don't struggle to see the problems the younger generation face. I have kids in their thirties I know what they're up against. I do think that the younger generation tends to think that our younger lives were somehow more blessed than theirs and that we are sitting comfortably having made no effort at all. It isn't so in my experience.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Shall we start with house price increases, free universities... or did people work really hard for those?

I can understand house price increases for some, though it's not exactly handed on a plate. If you didn't take advantage (or were in a position to), and buy your home/house, you would still be renting. Many of my extended family past and present still rent well into their 80's despite working all their life.

Again, free university - it will only have helped those in their mid-late 40's maybe early 50's, as it was a push to get people educated. "

I'm mid sixties I got further education free, I also got a grant towards living expenses. It's something I'm eternally grateful for.

My brother is mid fifties and had to take out loans

By *tephanjMan  over a year ago

Kettering

"Being part of an older generation. Some comments on here don't seem to fit. Take mask wearing more older people are wearing them than younger people, but I have also noticed that a lot of foreign people are not following the rules so not sure if this is rubbing off on the rest of the population. I personally observe distancing and try to be as courteous as possible

How do you know they're foreign?"

because they are chatting in a foreign language

By *amie HantsWoman  over a year ago

Atlantis

"I’ve noticed this, lots of aggression.

Even a woman parked on double yellows, making it really awkward to pass, had to fold mirrors in. I wound my window down, as did she, I said, that’s why we have double yellows so cars don’t park there. She was like ok, whatever, I get last and all the abuse starts flying.

I feel I want to be a new super hero called ‘consequences’. You’re talking to me like a piece of shit, yet we haven’t been introduced. Hi, I’m consequences. And just unleash fury. Maybe they’ll be a bit more respectful of strangers in future.

There really is no need for such aggression, we are practically spoon fed everything, no real struggles so why can’t we all just get along. "

This post was a pretty aggressive way of saying you don’t like others being aggressive

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Absolutely. Conservatism, nationalism, the demonisation and even dehumanisation of others. Our society has been moving further and further towards individualism and further away from collectivism.

"I've noticed that the people and things people respect have changed.

For instance my parents automatically give respect to wealthy people and those in the professions. For instance whenever I accompany my father to a medical appointment he calls male doctors sir and is incredibly awkward with women doctors because he's not quite sure how to address them .

Also "respect your elders" is a load of tosh. Respect is due to all until they show that it isn't.

I've noticed no difference when driving but I've noticed a huge amount of respect from young people where COVID is concerned with regard to distancing and ensuring older people are safe, not so the other way round."

We have also noticed this in our travels, there are exceptions as always. I know this isn't the Virus forum so it is just purely a comment on the above. In our experience it seems to be the mid generation 25-35 that have a total disregard for distancing and the rules.

Young mostly seem to be more respectful, even just out walking they give a wide birth where as above just seem to walk through. We were in the pub having a nice meal and the youngsters came in with masks as did the olders.

Put the point of the OP yes we are a much less tolerant and more self serving society. Is it that people do not have to make effort or struggle anymore - is it financially or status driven - it is sad we have come so far yet lost so much in the process - just my musing

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Being part of an older generation. Some comments on here don't seem to fit. Take mask wearing more older people are wearing them than younger people, but I have also noticed that a lot of foreign people are not following the rules so not sure if this is rubbing off on the rest of the population. I personally observe distancing and try to be as courteous as possible

How do you know they're foreign? because they are chatting in a foreign language"

I'm often found chatting in Spanish whilst sat in cafés in Manchester, but I'm British, not a sausage of Spanish ancestry (well, not that I'm aware of). These people may well be British citizens but simply conversant in more than one language.

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

When I've acted out it's been frustration, anger, resentment or pain.

Is the world simply emotionally hurting more and unaware how to deal with things in a healthy manner?

To some degree I think it is.

The rest I firmly believe in my first post

Liverpool

"Being part of an older generation. Some comments on here don't seem to fit. Take mask wearing more older people are wearing them than younger people, but I have also noticed that a lot of foreign people are not following the rules so not sure if this is rubbing off on the rest of the population. I personally observe distancing and try to be as courteous as possible "

Is that about others though or the fact those that are older are more vulnerable so they're thinking of protecting themselves more than others?

Also we used to mock other countries that have worn masks for years to prevent spreading their germs to others. The British are far more resistant to mask wearing than other European countries so it's definitely something within the culture of our country.

"Ok. I personally don't struggle to see the problems the younger generation face. I have kids in their thirties I know what they're up against. I do think that the younger generation tends to think that our younger lives were somehow more blessed than theirs and that we are sitting comfortably having made no effort at all. It isn't so in my experience."

I think it's more a thing of resenting the loss of opportunities.

In terms of the generational respect differences I notice far more comments of 'snowflakes', 'woke' etc. etc. which I tend to assume are from older people with a suggestion that they're somehow a tougher bunch that fought for everything they have.

By *ldergent2021Man  over a year ago

Retford

Well, it's a subject that has got us all talking

I remember my parents saying the same when I was young. I think it's something that we all say at some time. A bit like policeman getting younger.

I believe that society has focused on the negative far more since the pandemic and possibly before that also.

Society has changed, and we haven't caught up with it.

I always show respect, and my children are an extension of that treat people the way you want to be treated.

By *adtaffladMan  over a year ago

Rhyl

Manners and respect seem to of gone out the window along with common sense.

How do you know they're foreign? because they are chatting in a foreign language"

Ah ok. Not British but multilingual than.

yumsville

"Again, free university - it will only have helped those in their mid-late 40's maybe early 50's, as it was a push to get people educated.

er?!"

University was typically seen as a middle class pursuit. The reason to go to Uni was to gain a profession. The number going to uni was as a result small as Universities needed to know entrants were capable of gaining pass marks or to promote their status. Gradually more and more realised you got better career options with a degree, though in the early stages of free higher ed, you'd have to be pretty forward thinking, come from a very good family or have the grades that meant it was a no brainier.

Respect/manners seems to have declined

Worlds gone too pc, you cant do this or that incase you offend someone and take away their human rights

Hence people have evolved to a point where they are rude/etc. the past 2 years has supercharged this.

Dont get me started on law, criminals get away with everything. Hope we change our laws and become more like america, punish. Instead of going ‘oh his mental health was bad cause of his upbringing/etc… lets not send him to jail even though he near enough has a huge criminal record/etc.

As the joker film said

Everyone just yells and screams at each other, nobody is civil anymore’

By *aliceWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

Respect is an outdated concept. Respect for the attitudes and achievements of individuals, sure that can be a good thing. But what we think of as good old fashioned Respect is largely deference to power, and the legacy of that power means young people growing up today inherit a dying planet, inaccessible housing market, systemically racist and misogynistic society etcetera etcetera.

Not sure what evidence of previous generations Respect thats supposed to herald as a good model to continue.

Liverpool

"Respect/manners seems to have declined

Worlds gone too pc, you cant do this or that incase you offend someone and take away their human rights

Hence people have evolved to a point where they are rude/etc. the past 2 years has supercharged this.

Dont get me started on law, criminals get away with everything. Hope we change our laws and become more like america, punish. Instead of going ‘oh his mental health was bad cause of his upbringing/etc… lets not send him to jail even though he near enough has a huge criminal record/etc.

As the joker film said

Everyone just yells and screams at each other, nobody is civil anymore’

"

So offending people more will increase respect?

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

"I'm not talking about the old" in my day kid's had respect for their elders" grandad type moan.

I'm talking

Not sure if it's been a result of the pandemic or a systematic breakdown in values or right and wrong.

My daughter she's in her mid 20's and I have to remind her that I'm her father and not to talk to me like I'm a piece of dirt.

But people just don't seem to give a crap regardless of the age or sex of the person they are being disrespectful towards.

I'm not sure, but I have definitely noticed a huge downturn in civility in the past couple of years, particularly in the way people drive.

Or are you one of those" fuck everyone else me first types" who think it's not a problem?

"

Definitely something I've noticed in Ireland as well.

Not enough discipline in the home or school.

I was given a regular dose of the slipper at home and ruler at school and I have nothing but respect for my parents and teachers

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

we took the wrong step years ago

By *d4fun73Man  over a year ago

Shipley

"I watched an interesting documentary last night made by Monica Lewinsky called 15 minutes of shame, and it’s about how social media has made people more instantly reactionary and intolerant and how it has allowed dehumanisation of people on-line which has then spread more and more into real life with marked decreases in empathy in people matched by increases in narcissism. So, yes, you’re right.

Where is it available? "

Not sure if this is the same one. But there's a Ted talk by her on you tube it's very poignant and sad.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

We are living through the fastest technological and social changes since the swinging sixties. Not being part of the boom makes it hard to keep up with changing attitudes.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

People live in a world increasingly dependent upon technology they barely understand.

Thus many prefer to believe superstition, rumour and untruths. If you don’t share those beliefs then they feel it’s ok to sneer, assail and shun those that seek only truth.

The ignorant thrive under the monopoly of a remote controlling elite.

By *egoMan  over a year ago

Preston

There really is no need for such aggression, we are practically spoon fed everything, no real struggles so why can’t we all just get along.

This post was a pretty aggressive way of saying you don’t like others being aggressive "

Yeah I’m aware of the hypocrisy, haha.

Just they seem to rely on the fact no one will throw it back in their face. They’ll just drive off like a civilised human being, of which they are not.

No consequences for being horrible.

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

I agree. But notbeveryone is a selfish thoughtless git.

That gives me hope.

Plus I enjoy shaming the twats as I find them.

By *parrow77Man  over a year ago

cheshire

I feel it’s been happening for yrs but think the lockdowns have speeded it up.

I always say way people drive now has become more aggressive and agitated. I noticed it as feel since first lockdown when only essential people drove roads where empty and chilled and then when eased it started feel after rules went out window and people stopped caring or just forgot how to drive normal

"I'm not talking about the old" in my day kid's had respect for their elders" grandad type moan.

I'm talking

I was given a regular dose of the slipper at home and ruler at school and I have nothing but respect for my parents and teachers "

My parents hit me, i wasn't a naughty child though ! I have NO respect for them at all.

I don't see how being violent to another person will make them respect you. It makes you fearfull !

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I don't see how being violent to another person will make them respect you. It makes you fearfull !"

I think that sometimes respect for someone's ability to hurt you or fear as I like to call it is mistaken for overall respect for a person.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

There really is no need for such aggression, we are practically spoon fed everything, no real struggles so why can’t we all just get along. "

You were aggressive to her first.

ashford

I'm talking

I was given a regular dose of the slipper at home and ruler at school and I have nothing but respect for my parents and teachers "

Glad that dont happen anymore! my mum abused me with slippers/coat hangers were her fave weapons! All it instlled in me was fear! Certainly not respect! Teachers used books blackboard cleaners and feared them 2! Although luckily never had them thrown in my direction usually just the boys! X

King's Crustacean

Kenneth John Freeman 1907 - summarising works of Aristotle on children's behaviour in Ancient Times.

The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …

Children began to be the tyrants, not the sl-aves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

My children and their friends are respectful , generous and kind. They have values and principles like lifelong learning, protecting the planet and only working for companies that have a positive impact. They see older generations and government as quite selfish and leaving them a lot of problems to sort out

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"My children and their friends are respectful , generous and kind. They have values and principles like lifelong learning, protecting the planet and only working for companies that have a positive impact. They see older generations and government as quite selfish and leaving them a lot of problems to sort out"

By the same token a lot of the advantages the younger generation enjoy are down to the foundations we laid. Every generation has its challenges to overcome.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I believe, as ever, it depends on the people, whether that be the person themselves, their parents/guardians, teachers etc.

My friends' children are lovely. In town here at school letting out time, most of the kids wave a thank you when you stop at a zebra crossing.

I also believe that social media and the press love to paint the worse pictures they can. Which can leave many people thinking "that's how it is these days".

The demise in actual discipline is also a big cause. Rewarding the idiots when they behave. And so on. I am not talking about physical punishment. My parents never hit us. But we knew the boundaries and we loved them enough to respect them.

OP, your daughter is likely still in the rebelling against their dad stage and not a bad person

King's Crustacean

I think what is sometimes classed as bad manners or respect is simply a difference rather than a direction.

For me - the disappearance of 'childhood' has played an enormous part ( detrimentally )

By this I do not mean that children are more savvy with tech and more socially aware ........ I MEAN ..... the pecking order has been lost and I believe STRONGLY that this has caused huge problems.

Watching parents letting children dictate - asking little humans with NO life experience , where the family should go .... what furniture should they buy ... what food ... yada yada yada ......

THAT is the main cause of no respect.

Children think ( and they are led to these thoughts ) that they are YOUR equal.

ashford

"My children and their friends are respectful , generous and kind. They have values and principles like lifelong learning, protecting the planet and only working for companies that have a positive impact. They see older generations and government as quite selfish and leaving them a lot of problems to sort out"

Agree with this us oldies have truly fucked up imo! I find in majority youth of today have great respect and acceptance of others! Far more than my own generation! X

Bristol

"My children and their friends are respectful , generous and kind. They have values and principles like lifelong learning, protecting the planet and only working for companies that have a positive impact. They see older generations and government as quite selfish and leaving them a lot of problems to sort out

Agree with this us oldies have truly fucked up imo! I find in majority youth of today have great respect and acceptance of others! Far more than my own generation! X"

I find it to be the other way round

North West

Who brought up the younger people of today? If folks are that bothered by what younger people do and how they do it, surely it should be that the spotlight falls on those who brought them up to be so?? Or are we not allowed to criticise those people (because they are "elders"?)

ashford

"My children and their friends are respectful , generous and kind. They have values and principles like lifelong learning, protecting the planet and only working for companies that have a positive impact. They see older generations and government as quite selfish and leaving them a lot of problems to sort out

Agree with this us oldies have truly fucked up imo! I find in majority youth of today have great respect and acceptance of others! Far more than my own generation! X

I find it to be the other way round"

Ohh? We must speak as we find? Just as an example in my world I found younger peeps more accepting of my transgender daughter than oldies sad to say alot in my own family were very bigoted in their views! I know this is only one instance but I do find the youngsters so much more accepting of individuals than oldies majority of time work with across the age peeps and it comes through there as well! Sitting in canteen with them sometimes embarrassing some of the oldies opinions x

Liverpool

When I initially commented on this I responded with the idea of society as a whole in mind. I find it interesting it has decended into yet another row between generations. Is any generation really such an homogeneous immovable group with the same ideas and attitudes for their entire life span? I doubt it.

I'm talking

"

Had to have a chat with my 19 year old yesterday. Gave her a few home truths, she cried which made me feel bad but told her that she can't go through life treating people the way she treats me. Also said that if I'd have spoken to my mother the way she does me, that I'd have had a clip round the ear

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"I think what is sometimes classed as bad manners or respect is simply a difference rather than a direction.

For me - the disappearance of 'childhood' has played an enormous part ( detrimentally )

By this I do not mean that children are more savvy with tech and more socially aware ........ I MEAN ..... the pecking order has been lost and I believe STRONGLY that this has caused huge problems.

Watching parents letting children dictate - asking little humans with NO life experience , where the family should go .... what furniture should they buy ... what food ... yada yada yada ......

THAT is the main cause of no respect.

Children think ( and they are led to these thoughts ) that they are YOUR equal.

"

Totally agree.

My parents used to involve us in decisions like that. But more like a choice of 3 options and there had to be polite discussion and a consensus.

Definitely, we have been stabbed in the back by so called friends, we have also noticed levels of greed and jealousy have gotten much worse, we much prefer animals to people.

By *parrow77Man  over a year ago

cheshire

"When I initially commented on this I responded with the idea of society as a whole in mind. I find it interesting it has decended into yet another row between generations. Is any generation really such an homogeneous immovable group with the same ideas and attitudes for their entire life span? I doubt it. "

Ano I did same shame was interesting now just generational rants

By *ifornowCouple  over a year ago

Skegness

We have been discussing this on a regular basis for the last two decades. Society now has a "I'm alright Jack.....fuck you attitude".

Unfortunately, it starts at the very top and permeates down through society.

Very sad !

This is something I have noticed too! Whether it be on Fab or in Morrisons, manners and courtesy cost nothing.

Modern Society. Sad but true

[Removed by poster at 31/12/21 15:38:52]

"I've noticed that the people and things people respect have changed.

I've noticed no difference when driving but I've noticed a huge amount of respect from young people where COVID is concerned with regard to distancing and ensuring older people are safe, not so the other way round."

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Kenneth John Freeman 1907 - summarising works of Aristotle on children's behaviour in Ancient Times.

The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise. …

Children began to be the tyrants, not the sl-aves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the paidagogoi and schoolmasters.

"

The younger generation has always rejected the values of the generation above. I remember reading a novel by Douglas Coupland where it was remarked that the difference between humans and animals was the need of successive generations of humans to differentiate themselves from those that came before.

As Bob Dylan said:

"Come mothers and fathers throughout the land

And don't criticize what you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command

Your old road is rapidly aging

Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand

For the times, they are a-changin'"

ashford

"Definitely, we have been stabbed in the back by so called friends, we have also noticed levels of greed and jealousy have gotten much worse, we much prefer animals to people. "

Wholeheartedly with u on this animals are far nicer than alot of people and so so loyal x

You gain the respect of your children by dictating what furniture they get, where they go and what they eat.

Well there's some rich life advice

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"It’s not so much that we got handed things on a plate, but much more that our generation had many things that have been taken away, or denuded, or made more difficult in terms of trying to get on in life and I think that the boomer generation often struggles to see the difficulties that younger generations face.

That’s to say nothing of the problems around social media, climate change etc.

I wouldn't disagree with that.

It seems to me that many older people talk as though they were able to drag themselves from the gutter to the mountain top oblivious to the cable car pulling them most of the way up.

Then they get angry at those unable to benefit from the cable car... even though it was them that shut it down."

I won't start preaching history but maybe some older people have every right to be angry because dependent on geographical location and circumstances not everything was handed to them.

Maybe my experience was completely different to yours because of when and where I grew up but we didn't even have a voice never mind a choice simply because people of a different religion and political background told us we were irrelevant.

Younger people may have to pay a higher price for everything now but they also have a much greater level of expectation.

Yorkshire

"I am afraid its all true and has been for a while. Manners has gone out of the window. Not just drivers, although I agree, everywhere in shops, cafes, bars, the petrol station, car parks in the street people just do what they like with no consideration to anyone. Even neighbours don't care that much of what they do and how it affects others around them. Have you tried having a coffee or a meal in peace these days? Surrounded by just loud people with no manners. Customer service in lots of places is just diabolical and hod forbit you dare mention anything.

What have you done, you made me let it all out now hut lets have a new years resolution for all to show respect, good manners and love and care for others. Here is hoping "

I agree that this is nothing to do with age as many have said. My own observations above are primarily about adults who seem to walk about their business often ready to pick up an argument. You can almost see it on their faces with that agree look, the way and manner they walk, the lack of appreciation in your custom with good customer service diminishing, and general behaviour and attitude even amongst themeselves, never mind other people. Kids learn from the behaviour of adults often. That of course does not mean there are not lots of nice and 'well mannered' adults as well as younger people around, as there are and who often also do so much gor other less fortunate people. Unfortunately they seem to be increasingly part of a minority.

"

Maybe my experience was completely different to yours because of when and where I grew up but we didn't even have a voice never mind a choice simply because people of a different religion and political background told us we were irrelevant.

Younger people may have to pay a higher price for everything now but they also have a much greater level of expectation. "

I expect it was. You know nothing of my life. I know nothing of yours and nor was I debating it.

Newer generations are entitled to expect more. That's how we progressed from caves.

King's Crustacean

"You gain the respect of your children by dictating what furniture they get, where they go and what they eat.

"

No one said that. What a weird interpretation of what was said.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

is it more a case of the debate continues to widen as to wether respect is commanded or earned?

North West

If the lurkers would be so kind as to post their rude messages on the forum, rather than by PM, it would be preferred. Ta and all that *doffs cap* *courtsys* *curries favour* *holds door open*

I think I covered all bases there. Please. And also thank you.

Definitely not,I have manners and respect,yes I was brought up with a sense of right and wrong ,I think there's way too much Molly coddling,you can't discipline your own younger generation,I'm not talking beating,I'm talking discipline ,massive difference,they're not taught respect,although they're not all bad there are some amazing young ones out there,but,it's certainly not getting any better.

King's Crustacean

"If the lurkers would be so kind as to post their rude messages on the forum, rather than by PM, it would be preferred. Ta and all that *doffs cap* *courtsys* *curries favour* *holds door open*

I think I covered all bases there. Please. And also thank you. "

So weird when that happens.......

Where is it available? "

I saw the end of it a month or so ago, it was good.

www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/be06da4f-fbe2-411d-8b2a-6497a1fe6beb

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I think there are many more decent folks than idiots.

It's just the idiots tend to be more visible.

I blame teachers, doctors and police officers.

King's Crustacean

"I think there are many more decent folks than idiots.

"

Or we tend to focus on the negative.

I too think there are far more decent people around and I find the younger generation more caring than 'we' were. Who ever we was.

Bristol

"I think there are many more decent folks than idiots.

"

And louder.

North West

" Who ever we was. "

Really old people *nods*

*Scarpers*

King's Crustacean

" Who ever we was.

Really old people *nods*

*Scarpers* "

See ....... rude whipper snappers

North West

" Who ever we was.

Really old people *nods*

*Scarpers*

See ....... rude whipper snappers"

I'm chuffed to be called a whipper snapper at the age of 36, so I'll take it

Dubai & Nottingham

"You gain the respect of your children by dictating what furniture they get, where they go and what they eat.

No one said that. What a weird interpretation of what was said. "

It’s kind of true in that kids respect you for what you do over what you say. You can tell them stuff till you’re blue in the face , but if what you are saying contradicts what they see you doing, you won’t stand a chance, they will think you irrelevant at best or a hypocrite at worst. Unfortunately it’s usually too late to fix

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Modern Society. Sad but true "

Said one Mr Charles Dickens..

Or was it Vasco de Gama..

Etc etc ..

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

Not going to blame the younger generations but just find alot more selfishness around from all sections of society than I used to. A lack of consideration for others seems more prevalent. Hope I'm wrong, maybe it's more linked to me finding this of interest as I age, who fackin' knows.

Mr.

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I think social media has had a lot to do with it, I noticed people's attitudes changing in the mid 00's when Facebook and the like started becoming mainstream and tolerance towards others with different opinions evaporated. People started getting nasty online and it's since spilled over into their real life interactions as well because they think they can do it without consequences.

No one said that. What a weird interpretation of what was said. "

My apologies. I must have misinterpreted the bit that said:

"Watching parents letting children dictate - asking little humans with NO life experience , where the family should go .... what furniture should they buy ... what food ... yada yada yada ......"

"

It’s kind of true in that kids respect you for what you do over what you say. You can tell them stuff till you’re blue in the face , but if what you are saying contradicts what they see you doing, you won’t stand a chance, they will think you irrelevant at best or a hypocrite at worst. Unfortunately it’s usually too late to fix "

It's a fundamental of respect. You're more likely to get it, if you give it.

Just demanding it deserves a fuck off.

I'm talking

"

On the driving side I tend to give a crash course in respect. When said twat drives up the arse of the car flashing their lights at me, I let them go for an undertake. I speed up to stop them getting past me, then slam the brakes on when I get to a slower car in their lane.

They can crash into the slower car, crash into me or hope their brakes are good.

By *angtidy42Couple  over a year ago

Redditch

To many touchie feelie people been to soft, discipline has been lost because you can't shout at someone who identify's as a fryingpan. Parents are to soft and teachers can't give the slipper or cane anymore.

Free speech has been lost as you check step about saying something that might upset some cupcake.

I'm talking

On the driving side I tend to give a crash course in respect. When said twat drives up the arse of the car flashing their lights at me, I let them go for an undertake. I speed up to stop them getting past me, then slam the brakes on when I get to a slower car in their lane.

They can crash into the slower car, crash into me or hope their brakes are good."

I hope the people they crash into don’t get injured or killed …

ashford

"To many touchie feelie people been to soft, discipline has been lost because you can't shout at someone who identify's as a fryingpan. Parents are to soft and teachers can't give the slipper or cane anymore.

Free speech has been lost as you check step about saying something that might upset some cupcake.

"

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

I’ve seen the opposite too though in these strange times. Someone near me cooked 20 plus Christmas dinners to be delivered to those on their own on Christmas Day. Lots of others helped with the food, crockery etc.

There are those who don’t give a toss about anyone apart from themselves , that’s not the norm though.

"To many touchie feelie people been to soft, discipline has been lost because you can't shout at someone who identify's as a fryingpan. Parents are to soft and teachers can't give the slipper or cane anymore.

"

It's hard to express how much respect I have for you now...

By the same token a lot of the advantages the younger generation enjoy are down to the foundations we laid. Every generation has its challenges to overcome. "

Humans are the same as always, some of each generation find fault in other generations. I'm sure it will always be like that

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

I'm talking

They can crash into the slower car, crash into me or hope their brakes are good.

I hope the people they crash into don’t get injured or killed …"

I get the feeling, that is the last thing on his mind

Personally I think it’s a result of people being able to say whatever they want online without any consequences

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

Manners cost nothing..and respect is earned not a given..

If you can be anything..#bekind

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

"Manners cost nothing..and respect is earned not a given..

If you can be anything..#bekind"

Why is respect earned? Never understood this notion. Surely you give people respect from the off, it's welcoming and good natured, if they then mess it up then that respect is withdrawn but at least respect was there than never there at all, no?

I wonder how many of the people commenting on here about a perceived lack of respect today are the same people who pay on other threads exhorting people to "be themselves" "ignore what others think of you" and "it's your life, live it the way you want"? There certainly appears to be a strong correlation between those who complain about political correctness gone mad and the snowflake generation etc and the belief that people have less respect today which seems to me more than a little ironic.

FWIW, I don't believe people are any more or less respectful. We are exposed to the behaviours of far more people than ever before in human history through our ability to travel, the density of population in most urban areas, never mind regular and social media. This means if we want to find examples of a lack of respect there are far more to choose from. Equally, if we want to find examples of people giving up their time to help others there's far more of those around too. I do believe our culture in this country is becoming increasingly about the individual with the idea of putting others needs before your own something of an anathema to many but as people we haven't changed. It's quite possible to forge your own path in life, ignoring the criticisms of others and still spend your time feeding orphans.

Mr

Dubai & Nottingham

Why is respect earned? Never understood this notion. Surely you give people respect from the off, it's welcoming and good natured, if they then mess it up then that respect is withdrawn but at least respect was there than never there at all, no?"

Exactly , respect and trust is a given. If you started a new job and didn’t show trust and respect to your colleagues , you wouldn’t get very far. Loyalty is earned.

Manners are just some weird British Victorian thing to separate the classes, a 19th century fixation with etiquette . Adding extra little words to a sentence doesn’t make you a nice person, but thinking others that don’t use them are worth less makes you a shitty person

I'm talking

"

"I watched an interesting documentary last night made by Monica Lewinsky called 15 minutes of shame, and it’s about how social media has made people more instantly reactionary and intolerant and how it has allowed dehumanisation of people on-line which has then spread more and more into real life with marked decreases in empathy in people matched by increases in narcissism. So, yes, you’re right. "

Good share and observation. Same goes for many on here!! Massive rise and far worse than we many will admit. On a steep rise!!

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Why is respect earned? Never understood this notion. Surely you give people respect from the off, it's welcoming and good natured, if they then mess it up then that respect is withdrawn but at least respect was there than never there at all, no?

Exactly , respect and trust is a given. If you started a new job and didn’t show trust and respect to your colleagues , you wouldn’t get very far. Loyalty is earned.

Manners are just some weird British Victorian thing to separate the classes, a 19th century fixation with etiquette . Adding extra little words to a sentence doesn’t make you a nice person, but thinking others that don’t use them are worth less makes you a shitty person"

The problem with this is not that respect is a given but that some people demand it.

In the same way that anyone who has to continuously tell everyone that they are a nice person must be projecting a completely different image if they have to remind others.

If you demand something or tell people that they must respect you it usually has the opposite effect and makes them question why you feel the need to do so.

Actions will always speak louder than words so act nicely rather than tell everyone how nice you are.

That applies across all generations and is not unique to millenials.

It's easy to say that respect is a given and doesn't have to be earned but that doesn't apply across the board.

Initial respect towards someone as a human being regardless of race, creed colour or sexual orientation is a given of course but as an individual based on their initial engagement with you, not all are deserving of your respect and they must earn it.

"Been going downhill for years , respect has long gone , I walked past a man having a heart attack in the street , he was getting help by paramedics but there was about 20 people will teens all filming it on there phones , he died but they carried on till the police turned up , shocking lack of respect, what do they want with this footage, likes on tik tok , it’s all about getting likes on social media , sad world "

It's a getting high and higher on likes!! People watching ,reactions not being accountable for even bothering to meet up or show up, Ghosting plus much more.

It all goes on here and the wider society.

Only takes one to make one.

How do you know they're foreign?"

Another judgement and low intolerance!!

Again, free university - it will only have helped those in their mid-late 40's maybe early 50's, as it was a push to get people educated.

I'm mid sixties I got further education free, I also got a grant towards living expenses. It's something I'm eternally grateful for.

My brother is mid fifties and had to take out loans"

Well said!! Younglady..

How do you know they're foreign? because they are chatting in a foreign language

I'm often found chatting in Spanish whilst sat in cafés in Manchester, but I'm British, not a sausage of Spanish ancestry (well, not that I'm aware of). These people may well be British citizens but simply conversant in more than one language. "

We know where Mr Kettering is going with all this. And maybe he has no problem with the Spanish!

It's the French he is pointing a finger at?? Or others he finds strange because of the Foreign language.....

These things are hard to quantify and prove. We can go only by anecdotal evidences. But I have heard it a lot. There could be multiple things happening here.

The current generation has spent much less time with grandparents or extended family. This has already been pointed as one of the reasons of them having higher rates of depression. It could also be the reason of lack of respect you mentioned. I learnt how to talk to elders in the family by seeing my parents talk to their parents when they were old regularly. I think these kind of interactions have reduced a lot in the western societies.

What they consider as respectful could be totally different from what you consider as respectful.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"These things are hard to quantify and prove. We can go only by anecdotal evidences. But I have heard it a lot. There could be multiple things happening here.

The current generation has spent much less time with grandparents or extended family. This has already been pointed as one of the reasons of them having higher rates of depression. It could also be the reason of lack of respect you mentioned. I learnt how to talk to elders in the family by seeing my parents talk to their parents when they were old regularly. I think these kind of interactions have reduced a lot in the western societies.

What they consider as respectful could be totally different from what you consider as respectful."

What age group is the current generation? Our children are in their thirties, they and many of their contemporaries spent much more time with their grandparents than either of us did, in part because they died in their sixties but also because grandparents frequently took on a lot of childcare.

"These things are hard to quantify and prove. We can go only by anecdotal evidences. But I have heard it a lot. There could be multiple things happening here.

What they consider as respectful could be totally different from what you consider as respectful.

What age group is the current generation? Our children are in their thirties, they and many of their contemporaries spent much more time with their grandparents than either of us did, in part because they died in their sixties but also because grandparents frequently took on a lot of childcare.

"

I was thinking more of current teenagers. I guess the latest trend is to send the kids to child care instead of getting help from grandparents?

Manners are just some weird British Victorian thing to separate the classes, a 19th century fixation with etiquette . Adding extra little words to a sentence doesn’t make you a nice person, but thinking others that don’t use them are worth less makes you a shitty person

The problem with this is not that respect is a given but that some people demand it.

In the same way that anyone who has to continuously tell everyone that they are a nice person must be projecting a completely different image if they have to remind others.

If you demand something or tell people that they must respect you it usually has the opposite effect and makes them question why you feel the need to do so.

Actions will always speak louder than words so act nicely rather than tell everyone how nice you are.

That applies across all generations and is not unique to millenials.

It's easy to say that respect is a given and doesn't have to be earned but that doesn't apply across the board.

Initial respect towards someone as a human being regardless of race, creed colour or sexual orientation is a given of course but as an individual based on their initial engagement with you, not all are deserving of your respect and they must earn it. "

Interesting

King's Crustacean

"

Yes that's right. You did. Extrapolated, misinterpreted and misunderstood.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I was thinking more of current teenagers. I guess the latest trend is to send the kids to child care instead of getting help from grandparents?"

I don't know I don't know many people with young children at the moment but won't kids be interacting with older people in child care, nursery, school etc?

By *olden PoleMan  over a year ago

Thal

This is something that I’ve noticed in abundance specially in the work place where people couldn’t give a toss about the job they are being paid to do. I don’t mean just the lazy type, I mean absolutely fuck all interest in any aspect and no respect for the environment they are in.

Only yesterday I took my dog out and whilst crossing and a zebra crossing the van coming from my right stopped and signalled me to cross car approaching from my left showed no sign of stopping and oblivious that we was half way across the road, she then slams on her brakes as she just realised it’s a crossing.

Looking not to make eye contact she reaches for the obligatory comfort of her phone and sits there taping at the screen.....but here’s the killer!

As me and the dog reach the pavement she winds down the window a snarls across the kid in the passenger seat to me “yeah alright I fucking stopped”.

I never provoked her, I didn’t make a fuss that she almost knocked me and the dog flying, I just carried on walking.

People just don’t give a fuck and I pondered about how she would have reacted if she’d hit us?

Lied that it was my fault?

Lied that the dog was loose

Lied that I run out in the road.

Sorry for the epic post but this thread has a very important issue.

In my day to day life, I cant say I come across situations that make me think that respect is on the decline

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

People are on their phone a lot. Specially women (sorry ladies, no offence!)

"In my day to day life, I cant say I come across situations that make me think that respect is on the decline "

Me either. I think it's such a broad generalisation about society as a whole that cannot possibly be proven. If you go looking for examples of good or bad, you will find them!

King's Crustacean

"People are on their phone a lot. Specially women (sorry ladies, no offence!)"

There are so many cats ...... why wouldn't we be.

I was thinking more of current teenagers. I guess the latest trend is to send the kids to child care instead of getting help from grandparents?

I don't know I don't know many people with young children at the moment but won't kids be interacting with older people in child care, nursery, school etc?"

I don't have kids. Given the number of colleagues lamenting over childcare costs, I thought that's the trend. Can't blame the parents though. Childcare workers aren't really that old. And I don't think they or even schools particularly excel in teaching respect.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

(Shakes head while inhaling, long and hard, then exclaims)

It’s all gone t’ hell in ‘and cart.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't know I don't know many people with young children at the moment but won't kids be interacting with older people in child care, nursery, school etc?

I don't have kids. Given the number of colleagues lamenting over childcare costs, I thought that's the trend. Can't blame the parents though. Childcare workers aren't really that old. And I don't think they or even schools particularly excel in teaching respect. "

I absolutely blame parents for any lack of respect their kids show, they learn by example. It isn't a school's job to teach respect by the time a kid reaches school age the pattern is already set.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"People are on their phone a lot. Specially women (sorry ladies, no offence!)"

Damn! Us pesky women on our phones stopping people respecting each other

I don't have kids. Given the number of colleagues lamenting over childcare costs, I thought that's the trend. Can't blame the parents though. Childcare workers aren't really that old. And I don't think they or even schools particularly excel in teaching respect.

I absolutely blame parents for any lack of respect their kids show, they learn by example. It isn't a school's job to teach respect by the time a kid reaches school age the pattern is already set."

Agreed

I absolutely blame parents for any lack of respect their kids show, they learn by example. It isn't a school's job to teach respect by the time a kid reaches school age the pattern is already set."

Forum Mod

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 01/01/22 10:34:10]

King's Crustacean

"People are on their phone a lot. Specially women (sorry ladies, no offence!)

Damn! Us pesky women on our phones stopping people respecting each other "

Did you use your phone for that ?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I absolutely blame parents for any lack of respect their kids show, they learn by example. It isn't a school's job to teach respect by the time a kid reaches school age the pattern is already set.

"

A moment in my life that told me I got at least one thing right was when our kids were around 10/12 and we were at a small French airport. There was a family of very badly behaved children, disrespecting people's property etc. Our son looked at me and said "thank goodness you didn't let us behave like that".

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"People are on their phone a lot. Specially women (sorry ladies, no offence!)

Damn! Us pesky women on our phones stopping people respecting each other

Did you use your phone for that ?"

I did!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Everyone. Do you feel respected? In your daily life, by your employer, family, the authorities, government, people in the street?

King's Crustacean

Do I feel respected : Yes

In my daily life : Most times

By my employer : When I had one - yes but there are legalities they have to follow.

By my family : yes

By the authorities : No we are faceless

By the government : No, we are faceless and inconsequential apart from 'the vote'

By people in the street : Yes.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"Everyone. Do you feel respected? In your daily life, by your employer, family, the authorities, government, people in the street?

"

I am shown respect by many, but I am also shown a lack of respect by some, usually people who are strangers too me.

Is this just an extrapolation of the disrespect bourne out of anonymity we experience so much on the internet today. ?

Belonging to an ethnic background I have seen how things have changed amongst the community in terms of Respect as modern western values are being adopted.

Please don't get me wrong the communities have flourished and are grateful for the opportunities they may never had if they remained in their motherland but a price is being paid in terms of how we show our Respect.

As parents we need to remember we are the role models for our kids and they learn what they know off us, mostly.

Videos go around on social media with kids describing things with swear words e.g the police, because Mum and Dad say it like that.

Then you have the parents posting these videos and laughing in the background, encouraging them.

Media is always a problem but now social media is taking it to a whole new level. Of course many other social issues have lead to this over the years and it's a vast topic of conversation.

There will be differing views in terms of cultural backgrounds and upbringing etc

Slightly different answer from me. I wished a friend a happy new year this morning and got a very disrespectful and selfish reply. I honestly don't know why I bothered

King's Crustacean

"Everyone. Do you feel respected? In your daily life, by your employer, family, the authorities, government, people in the street?

I am shown respect by many, but I am also shown a lack of respect by some, usually people who are strangers too me.

Is this just an extrapolation of the disrespect bourne out of anonymity we experience so much on the internet today. ?"

No fish face, it's not.

I'm talking

"

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Sócrates circa 400 BC

Adults moaning about the youth of the world is a time honoured passage.

"

Yes to all apart from the government.

Liverpool

I was thinking more of current teenagers. I guess the latest trend is to send the kids to child care instead of getting help from grandparents?"

Most kids grandparents are still working these days.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Do I feel respected : Yes

In my daily life : Most times

By my employer : When I had one - yes but there are legalities they have to follow.

By my family : yes

By the authorities : No we are faceless

By the government : No, we are faceless and inconsequential apart from 'the vote'

By people in the street : Yes. "

Same for me except I felt respect from my employer wane over time.

King's Crustacean

Yeah ! and Lacey is busy testing ice cubed lube

Most kids grandparents are still working these days. "

Unsurprising really when most lids grandparents are 39!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Is this just an extrapolation of the disrespect bourne out of anonymity we experience so much on the internet today. ?"

I honestly don't know but I notice no real difference between the respect shown to me by strangers pre internet to now.

"

Funny because I figured you'd done exactly that yourself.

Didn't like my comments about certain people of a certain age. Seized an opportunity to pounce when you thought you'd found it.

As it appears I have to be clear my stance is that the 'didn't do me any harm' and 'I'm the master of the house' approaches to discipline are unnecessary to gain/keep the respect of your children.

Liverpool

Most kids grandparents are still working these days.

Unsurprising really when most lids grandparents are 39!"

In my family, most first time parents have been in their early 30s and grandparents in their 50s but those grandparents are unlikely to be retiring while those kids still need childcare.

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

As I drive around the country (hgv driver ) I can’t help but notice that we brits have no respect for our countryside , fly tipping , McDonald’s drink and food cartons thrown out of car windows and house hold waste dumped at the road side

King's Crustacean

Didn't like my comments about certain people of a certain age. Seized an opportunity to pounce when you thought you'd found it.

As it appears I have to be clear my stance is that the 'didn't do me any harm' and 'I'm the master of the house' approaches to discipline are unnecessary to gain/keep the respect of your children."

You are FULL of imagination.

Seriously, that's all in your mind and bears no relation to anything I have said.

"As I drive around the country (hgv driver ) I can’t help but notice that we brits have no respect for our countryside , fly tipping , McDonald’s drink and food cartons thrown out of car windows and house hold waste dumped at the road side "

*Some* Brits.

But yes, it's disgusting.

As it appears I have to be clear my stance is that the 'didn't do me any harm' and 'I'm the master of the house' approaches to discipline are unnecessary to gain/keep the respect of your children.

Seriously, that's all in your mind and bears no relation to anything I have said.

"

You haven't said anything have you? other than telling me I'm full of shit because you have a different interpretation of what you believe my interpretation of what somebody else wrote.

Yorkshire

There are lots of strong opinions as always on here about this and that's healthy to see and consider everyone's point of view. There are for sure lots of lovely, caring polite people from all sorts of backgrounds, ages and walks of life and feel blesssed to experience that whether family, friends or strangers out there . However, there are a lot of loud, rude, aggressive people you come across daily out that spoil daily experiences for others like enjoying a meal or a coffee in relative peaceful atmosphere, doing your daily shopping because some feel its ok to let their kids run amock in the aisles (and I certainly dont blame the kids for that), driving on the roads with those constantly wanting you to break speed limits or worse often puting you themselves and others at risk,travelling including flights where you have to more than likely put up with loud incosiderate people everytime, having a relaxing holiday but have to put up with those who think it's fine to take over the place (and I certanly like a good time too but know how not to spoil it for others), sitting in your own garden and enjoying some peace and quiet but can't because your neighbours behave like they were in Magaluf or on a pontis holiday park (and I do mean when its daily and with no consideration of their neighbours or that there is anything wrong with that sort of holiday but situation matters)....

I appreciate there are lots of reasons, including lack of opportunity to know better, but just wish we all showed a little bit more consideration for others. I hope that does not mean I am just a grumpy old git, I certainly hope not

99.9 % of folks these days are honest and decent and would rather do you a favour than harm. Most who contribute positively to society sire kids who will do the same. The society we live in now has its faults but if you were to offer your current lifestyle to your Victorian counter part they would grab it.

On the whole life is good for most we just have to make it better for those who are indeed

King's Crustacean

You haven't said anything have you? other than telling me I'm full of shit because you have a different interpretation of what you believe my interpretation of what somebody else wrote."

I never said that either.

I'm talking

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Sócrates circa 400 BC

Adults moaning about the youth of the world is a time honoured passage."

I love this quote and was very disappointed to find out it isn't real. It is however over 100 years old and, when written, was a students summary of ancient complaints about children so it does at least show the ever present generational belief that the youth of today are rude ungrateful little shits.

Mr

Anyone who has ever worked in the service industry knows if you get an arsehole customer it's much more likely to be an entitled middle age person and not an 18 year old.

The youth of today are the least sexist, racist, homophobic, violent of any generation.

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)

Old people have complained about the youth for as long as humans have existed.

King's Crustacean

Agreed to an extent with a reservation or two ....

Got to agree though - the young people ( mostly students at work ) that deal with me in shops and bars are a credit to their generation/parents/ teachers/selves

Reminds me when I first moved here , walking along and there was a large group of “hoodies” blocking the pavement. To my absolute surprise they moved out of the way and apologised profusely for blocking the way!

I think in general people are good, just the louder minority spoil it

Yorkshire

I am not sure why this became a focus of old versus young.i am sure the OP and certainly me thought it was about how some people behave in general and irrespective of age or other characteristics to be honest. Decent and not so decent people around everywhere. And that's my last post on this before I also go off on a tangent

I'm talking

Sócrates circa 400 BC

Adults moaning about the youth of the world is a time honoured passage.

I love this quote and was very disappointed to find out it isn't real. It is however over 100 years old and, when written, was a students summary of ancient complaints about children so it does at least show the ever present generational belief that the youth of today are rude ungrateful little shits.

Mr"

I share your disappointment but not as much as Sócrates. He will be distraught!

King's Crustacean

Kenneth John Freeman 1907 - summarising works of Aristotle- Socrates - Plato on children's behaviour in Ancient Times.

Part of his thesis

King's Crustacean

"Kenneth John Freeman 1907 - summarising works of Aristotle- Socrates - Plato on children's behaviour in Ancient Times.

Part of his thesis"

Though I preferred the Dylan quote above.

King's Crustacean

Cos the times, they are a changing