FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tesco

Tesco

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Profits down this time. Is their dominance coming to an end?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I didn't think they were the leaders anyway?

By *upitersmileCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

"Profits down this time. Is their dominance coming to an end?"

I rarely use them, morrisons/sainsburys for me.

I doubt it will even make a dent in their dominance

By *appyTrancerMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Sainsburys has to be my supermarket of choice, but Lidl are actually really good and bloody cheap. Morrisons - I hate going there cos they're crap, but they are convenient and they aren't Tesco! Asda are pretty good, but they're bloody miles away

Manchester

"Sainsburys has to be my supermarket of choice, but Lidl are actually really good and bloody cheap. Morrisons - I hate going there cos they're crap, but they are convenient and they aren't Tesco! Asda are pretty good, but they're bloody miles away "

I have every supermarket barr waitrose on my doorstep. Morrison here are the best for anything fresh, asda is shit and it's always packed. I get far to impatient and end up ramming the d buddies standing around gossiping!! Although they are very handy for those 3am cravings! Lol

Oh, I forgot to mention the seating area outside.... So that's why the city matches seem to have fewer seat now lol

They're taking the piss with some of their prices - petrol in particular.

By *eet_the_spartanMan  over a year ago

Manchester

As an employee I can tell you all the company is screwed. They have the controlling share of the sales market by a mile on all the competition but the new Tesco bank accounts aren't working and they've wasted 13 billion on the Fresh and Easy America initiative so far which is still making massive losses. As I own a considerable amount of shares in the company, you can understand why I'm annoyed

Manchester

"As an employee I can tell you all the company is screwed. They have the controlling share of the sales market by a mile on all the competition but the new Tesco bank accounts aren't working and they've wasted 13 billion on the Fresh and Easy America initiative so far which is still making massive losses. As I own a considerable amount of shares in the company, you can understand why I'm annoyed"

Don't you have something in your contract forbidding you to discuss the above matters or is it common knowledge? But yes I can see why you're pissed!

The best value are in Lidl and Aldi,meat fish everything is better value

cor, what's all this about dominance, using, crap, ramming buddies and piss.

Is this really all happensing at Tesco?

"As an employee I can tell you all the company is screwed. They have the controlling share of the sales market by a mile on all the competition but the new Tesco bank accounts aren't working and they've wasted 13 billion on the Fresh and Easy America initiative so far which is still making massive losses. As I own a considerable amount of shares in the company, you can understand why I'm annoyed"

I wondered what was happing with their American venture. It always seemed a bit like taking coals to Newcastle.

I have sains shares so im happy there sales are up again. But i do have tesco bank account which since taken in house instead of bank of scotland is shit

By *ourbonKissMan  over a year ago

a land up north..... of leicester

After scrutinizing the choices I have decided that we should all find out where our nearest market is for fresh produce and use them. That we can all eat a lot healthier too! X

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

Ah this might explain why I queried why two small onions weighed 850gm at the customer services desk earlier this evening. Assistant re-weighed them on another set of scales and they were 450gm. So we went back to checkout that served me and we discover scales not working correctly. The guy being served started to take his fruit and veg out of the trolley that had already been rang up. I got my refund for onions and bananas but left me wondering how many people would have been overcharged. Tesco quids in!!!

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

"Sainsburys has to be my supermarket of choice, but Lidl are actually really good and bloody cheap. Morrisons - I hate going there cos they're crap, but they are convenient and they aren't Tesco! Asda are pretty good, but they're bloody miles away

I have every supermarket barr waitrose on my doorstep. Morrison here are the best for anything fresh, asda is shit and it's always packed. I get far to impatient and end up ramming the d buddies standing around gossiping!! Although they are very handy for those 3am cravings! Lol

Oh, I forgot to mention the seating area outside.... So that's why the city matches seem to have fewer seat now lol "

Asda is shit and is always packed! does that not mean they are alright as they are full of customers. A new massive tesco extra was opened up in my town this year and everytime I have been in their has been more staff than customers and the staff they had were the most uninterested bunch I have ever encountered so I can understand why profits are down.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Profits down this time. Is their dominance coming to an end?

They're taking the piss with some of their prices - petrol in particular. "

tesco cheapest for petrol around here thankfully

Hope so, detestable company!

Saying that, the rest of em aren't much better. I can't do with big chains full stop, that's why almost every town centre in the country is just a bland mirror image of the bland next with very little local variety anymore, it's very sad

Tesco is the nearest 24-hr supermarket to me by far so if I want anything after 10pm they are the only choice.

They aren't my first choice for anything otherwise.

That said, now Asda are part of Walmart, they are part of a group with practices just as detestable as Tesco. Most of the big chains have poor morals to some extent. The exception being Waitrose which is inaccessible to many, and significantly more expensive.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

To be honest i dont really have much choice. I dont drive and tesco is next door to me. If someone takes me out in a car, i like asda, but thats because there all novelty to me, im not sure what my supermarket of choice would be although i have a vested interest in sainsburies and waitrose

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

[Removed by poster at 03/10/12 19:23:52]

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"As an employee I can tell you all the company is screwed. They have the controlling share of the sales market by a mile on all the competition but the new Tesco bank accounts aren't working and they've wasted 13 billion on the Fresh and Easy America initiative so far which is still making massive losses. As I own a considerable amount of shares in the company, you can understand why I'm annoyed

I wondered what was happing with their American venture. It always seemed a bit like taking coals to Newcastle."

Not quite, Tesco's arrogance meant that they thought they could convert the US grocery shopper to settle for the same supermarket retail model as we have in the UK, I laughed myself into a stitch when I saw it all backfire on them and them take an almighty cold on it. I wonder what arrogant approach they have taken with their ventures into China and India?

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"As an employee I can tell you all the company is screwed. They have the controlling share of the sales market by a mile on all the competition but the new Tesco bank accounts aren't working and they've wasted 13 billion on the Fresh and Easy America initiative so far which is still making massive losses. As I own a considerable amount of shares in the company, you can understand why I'm annoyed

I wondered what was happing with their American venture. It always seemed a bit like taking coals to Newcastle. Not quite, Tesco's arrogance meant that they thought they could convert the US grocery shopper to settle for the same supermarket retail model as we have in the UK, I laughed myself into a stitch when I saw it all backfire on them and them take an almighty cold on it. I wonder what arrogant approach they have taken with their ventures into China and India?"

TT - as always you make so much sense!

"Tesco is the nearest 24-hr supermarket to me by far so if I want anything after 10pm they are the only choice.

That said, now Asda are part of Walmart, they are part of a group with practices just as detestable as Tesco. Most of the big chains have poor morals to some extent. The exception being Waitrose which is inaccessible to many, and significantly more expensive."

If you can resist temptation and shop only for Waitrose essentials, you will find yourself with the cheapest shoping basket of the big 5, don't know how Aldi fares, but they came in as supermarket of the year the other year, so they get a thumbs up from me, as do Liddle. Budgen though, not many of them around I know, but they have a feel of how things were before the super powers destroyed the individuality of grocery shopping

I wondered what was happing with their American venture. It always seemed a bit like taking coals to Newcastle. Not quite, Tesco's arrogance meant that they thought they could convert the US grocery shopper to settle for the same supermarket retail model as we have in the UK, I laughed myself into a stitch when I saw it all backfire on them and them take an almighty cold on it. I wonder what arrogant approach they have taken with their ventures into China and India?TT - as always you make so much sense! "

O schucks, you've got me blushing now. In return I'll treat you to an all day vegetarian breakfast in Tesco's 5-ways

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I wondered what was happing with their American venture. It always seemed a bit like taking coals to Newcastle. Not quite, Tesco's arrogance meant that they thought they could convert the US grocery shopper to settle for the same supermarket retail model as we have in the UK, I laughed myself into a stitch when I saw it all backfire on them and them take an almighty cold on it. I wonder what arrogant approach they have taken with their ventures into China and India?TT - as always you make so much sense! O schucks, you've got me blushing now. In return I'll treat you to an all day vegetarian breakfast in Tesco's 5-ways "

Deal - just say when!

"Tesco is the nearest 24-hr supermarket to me by far so if I want anything after 10pm they are the only choice.

That said, now Asda are part of Walmart, they are part of a group with practices just as detestable as Tesco. Most of the big chains have poor morals to some extent. The exception being Waitrose which is inaccessible to many, and significantly more expensive. If you can resist temptation and shop only for Waitrose essentials, you will find yourself with the cheapest shoping basket of the big 5, don't know how Aldi fares, but they came in as supermarket of the year the other year, so they get a thumbs up from me, as do Liddle. Budgen though, not many of them around I know, but they have a feel of how things were before the super powers destroyed the individuality of grocery shopping"

I was going to post the Waitrose info too. I know the things that increase my spend in Waitrose is my inability to resist the extras but on a fair few items I have found them cheaper than the pound shop. Plus, it just feels nicer than some other shops, and not just because my local Waitrose is akin to Cheers.

That said, now Asda are part of Walmart, they are part of a group with practices just as detestable as Tesco. Most of the big chains have poor morals to some extent. The exception being Waitrose which is inaccessible to many, and significantly more expensive. If you can resist temptation and shop only for Waitrose essentials, you will find yourself with the cheapest shoping basket of the big 5, don't know how Aldi fares, but they came in as supermarket of the year the other year, so they get a thumbs up from me, as do Liddle. Budgen though, not many of them around I know, but they have a feel of how things were before the super powers destroyed the individuality of grocery shopping

I was going to post the Waitrose info too. I know the things that increase my spend in Waitrose is my inability to resist the extras but on a fair few items I have found them cheaper than the pound shop. Plus, it just feels nicer than some other shops, and not just because my local Waitrose is akin to Cheers."

you know when you're in a classy joint when the public service announcements and internal staff communications address everyone with a mister, Mrs or miss and describe them as colleagues, rather than "will sharon cum ta the till"

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

Comes as no surprise to me that their profits and market share are dropping. Their ruthless approach to maximising profit has seriously backfired on them in the UK.

They employ the mimimum amount of staff they think they can get away with, and as such the customer service suffers. Ive been in my local store many times and spent ages looking for someone to ask to get a product that is out of stock. It seems tesco would rather have a whole load of managers and staff push all the products to the front of the shelf every afternoon to make it appear full, rather than actually employ enough staff to fill the shelfs up.

Where as Waitrose staff look smart, tesco staff look scruffy - with many wearing different uniforms and t shirts and even their own clothes sometimes, so you never seem to know who actually works there.

Manchester

Don't you have something in your contract forbidding you to discuss the above matters or is it common knowledge? But yes I can see why you're pissed!"

Yep, but like the scarlet pimpernel they'll never catch me, hardy har har and all that. Besides, now I've graduated and been headhunted for a real job. Fingers crossed for me people!

Manchester

Don't you have something in your contract forbidding you to discuss the above matters or is it common knowledge? But yes I can see why you're pissed!

Yep, but like the scarlet pimpernel they'll never catch me, hardy har har and all that. Besides, now I've graduated and been headhunted for a real job. Fingers crossed for me people! "

Also, I'd hope my bum isn't too recognisable to the other members of staff

I can't stand the way tesco open up Extra stores on every village street, putting local shops out of business. Its happened 3 times locally within a 5 mile radiys and its sad to see lical businesses die because of tesco

"I can't stand the way tesco open up Extra stores on every village street, putting local shops out of business. Its happened 3 times locally within a 5 mile radiys and its sad to see lical businesses die because of tesco"

They are killing Lyme Regis now

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I don't like Tesco much either. They are closing down one of the only local youth clubs in the area accessible to all kids, just to open another huge store, of which there are already several in a small radius.

However, they did not become the largest outfit in the UK by themselves. People made a decision to shop there rather than local stores, giving them the power to keep growing. If enough people oppose the place, then their profits and dominance will slow down.

Tesco are devoid of any morals. They have forced local farmers out of work, they monopolize all areas with their various different sized stores. I shop mainly at waitrose as they try and give back but also behave ethically!

By *noops123Man  over a year ago

yeovil

Yes I'm afraid your right !

We moan about the " big 4 " but we all use them because there cheaper !

We can't as humans resist a bargain !!!??

"Yes I'm afraid your right !

We can't as humans resist a bargain !!!??"

We can if we understand it isn't a bargain. For Tesco, Poundland and others to make a profit by presenting us with a 'bargain' someone, somewhere has to take a loss.

We all have choices. I accept that for many money is tight but Waitrose Essentials are price matched to compete with Tesco. I know they are not perfect but profits going to the staff rather than anonymous shareholders does mean that they operate with a ethic that many others cannot.

"Yes I'm afraid your right !

We can't as humans resist a bargain !!!??

We can if we understand it isn't a bargain. For Tesco, Poundland and others to make a profit by presenting us with a 'bargain' someone, somewhere has to take a loss.

We all have choices. I accept that for many money is tight but Waitrose Essentials are price matched to compete with Tesco. I know they are not perfect but profits going to the staff rather than anonymous shareholders does mean that they operate with a ethic that many others cannot."

The difficulties for me are that my nearest Waitrose is much, much farther away than Tesco, (though my nearest store, by far is Sainsburys). Parking is also more difficult at Waitrose and their opening hours are much more restrictive.

i made the biggest mistake of my life last year where i left a company i worked for for 15 years and went over to tesco

It was a new store and a guy i used to work with years ago inforned me they was after new managers, i was the ware house manager for another company and left them after being interviewed and being offered the job at tesco

The stores been open a year this month and they have in that year laid off 40% of the staff, they are running on minimal staff and customers are going else where as there are always huge queues as there is only ever a hand full of check outs open, they laid off all the electrical team and just put anyone who would do over time on there who know nothing about what they are selling so customers are going elsewhere there too

Even tho i get 10% discount my shopping is still cheaper at asda where i dont get a discount

The company as a whole is flagging and i for one am looking for a new job

Yep, but like the scarlet pimpernel they'll never catch me, hardy har har and all that. Besides, now I've graduated and been headhunted for a real job. Fingers crossed for me people!

Also, I'd hope my bum isn't too recognisable to the other members of staff "

i'll see you in my office in the morning young man

i made the biggest mistake of my life last year where i left a company i worked for for 15 years and went over to tesco

It was a new store and a guy i used to work with years ago inforned me they was after new managers, i was the ware house manager for another company and left them after being interviewed and being offered the job at tesco

The stores been open a year this month and they have in that year laid off 40% of the staff, they are running on minimal staff and customers are going else where as there are always huge queues as there is only ever a hand full of check outs open, they laid off all the electrical team and just put anyone who would do over time on there who know nothing about what they are selling so customers are going elsewhere there too

Even tho i get 10% discount my shopping is still cheaper at asda where i dont get a discount

"

Looking at it from the outside and wearing my business hat, it looks like the strategy forgot to include their core business and the UK market in a desire to land grab and grow at all costs. I'd take them back to first principles and pleasing the customer.

Manchester

Looking at it from the outside and wearing my business hat, it looks like the strategy forgot to include their core business and the UK market in a desire to land grab and grow at all costs. I'd take them back to first principles and pleasing the customer."

They've come to the same conclusion at long last. Except the strategy isn't to employ more staff so we can do the job we're there for, it's to spend millions of pounds telling everyone that we should smile at customers. I had my training on it today. Took an hour. I've learned so much from the experience...

Manchester

Looking at it from the outside and wearing my business hat, it looks like the strategy forgot to include their core business and the UK market in a desire to land grab and grow at all costs. I'd take them back to first principles and pleasing the customer.

They've come to the same conclusion at long last. Except the strategy isn't to employ more staff so we can do the job we're there for, it's to spend millions of pounds telling everyone that we should smile at customers. I had my training on it today. Took an hour. I've learned so much from the experience..."

If only they made you wear bum less uniforms, I'd spot you and put you to the test lol

"They've come to the same conclusion at long last. Except the strategy isn't to employ more staff so we can do the job we're there for, it's to spend millions of pounds telling everyone that we should smile at customers. I had my training on it today. Took an hour. I've learned so much from the experience..."

Show us your smile then

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

What is Tesco???? Is it that shop selling 1 can of bean for £50p and doing an offer of 2 cans for £1.50????

"What is Tesco???? Is it that shop selling 1 can of bean for £50p and doing an offer of 2 cans for £1.50???? "

That sort of thing. I don't go into one unless I absolutely have no choice.

sheffield

"What is Tesco???? Is it that shop selling 1 can of bean for £50p and doing an offer of 2 cans for £1.50????

That sort of thing. I don't go into one unless I absolutely have no choice."

there is one 2 mins ride from my place. But the croissant is so bad that I rather drive 3 miles away to waitrose to get some a bit similar to those in paris

"What is Tesco???? Is it that shop selling 1 can of bean for £50p and doing an offer of 2 cans for £1.50????

That sort of thing. I don't go into one unless I absolutely have no choice. there is one 2 mins ride from my place. But the croissant is so bad that I rather drive 3 miles away to waitrose to get some a bit similar to those in paris "

I'd be the same. Although there is a French loaf in Sainsbury's that is very good as it toasts well after the first day.

No wonder their profits are down, last week we installed Christmas Point of sale material in all the large main-chain stores across the country, it wasn't until POS was actually in place that someone spotted that they had missed the "R" out of Christmas!!

sheffield

"No wonder their profits are down, last week we installed Christmas Point of sale material in all the large main-chain stores across the country, it wasn't until POS was actually in place that someone spotted that they had missed the "R" out of Christmas!! "
so it was Chistmas?????? Cracking.

"No wonder their profits are down, last week we installed Christmas Point of sale material in all the large main-chain stores across the country, it wasn't until POS was actually in place that someone spotted that they had missed the "R" out of Christmas!! "

Oy Vay! Is it because Tesco was originally Jewish? It has made me laugh to think the whole country has Chistmas signs right in front of the check-outs.

"No wonder their profits are down, last week we installed Christmas Point of sale material in all the large main-chain stores across the country, it wasn't until POS was actually in place that someone spotted that they had missed the "R" out of Christmas!! so it was Chistmas?????? Cracking. "

I can't help wondering how many people did the proof?

folkestone

Has anyone noticed that products in their tesco express stores are always more expensive than the bigger stores, even in they have a bigger store in the same town?.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

getting away from slagging tesco off

my choice has to be asda , as its on my doorstep

it is one of the largest in the country, I live in an old mining village in Tyneside and the village was dying on its feet until asda came, now we have an asda a multiplex cinema and 3 fast food places, lots of the local shops were closed before now all are open and doing well

asda also built a new village hall for the use of the community

So all in all we have done very well out of asda

and no I don't work there

"Has anyone noticed that products in their tesco express stores are always more expensive than the bigger stores, even in they have a bigger store in the same town?. "

It's true of all the 'Express' 'Local' and other mini versions of the major supermarkets. There is sometimes even a higher price than those in the motorway service versions. It's partly that the space is more expensive and there is less storage space. I wonder if anyone has tried to get the difference back at the larger branch on their price promises?

"getting away from slagging tesco off

my choice has to be asda , as its on my doorstep

it is one of the largest in the country, I live in an old mining village in Tyneside and the village was dying on its feet until asda came, now we have an asda a multiplex cinema and 3 fast food places, lots of the local shops were closed before now all are open and doing well

asda also built a new village hall for the use of the community

So all in all we have done very well out of asda

and no I don't work there "

Where a town has died or is on life support then the investment can bring about a regeneration. It has the opposite effect for vibrant areas and kills them off.

A community hall from their S106 sounds like the got off lightly unless they are also paying the revenue costs.

folkestone

"Has anyone noticed that products in their tesco express stores are always more expensive than the bigger stores, even in they have a bigger store in the same town?.

It's true of all the 'Express' 'Local' and other mini versions of the major supermarkets. There is sometimes even a higher price than those in the motorway service versions. It's partly that the space is more expensive and there is less storage space. I wonder if anyone has tried to get the difference back at the larger branch on their price promises?"

I thought that might be their excuse for the price difference. Tesco enjoy massive economies of scale when they negotiate product prices with manufactuters, so i dont see their need for having one a product more expensive than a bigger store in the same town.

The town i live in has 2 argos - one in the town center(very small) and one in a retail park(very big), but they still charge the same price in both, so i see it as tesco just boosting their profits, charging different prices in 2 different stores in the same town.

By *ustyWoman  over a year ago

inverclyde

prefer morrisons...............quality is better than tesco and they have a fresh meat counter as well as fish and bakery

By *YLINDERCouple  over a year ago

CARDIFF

"Profits down this time. Is their dominance coming to an end?

They're taking the piss with some of their prices - petrol in particular. "

» Add a new message to this topic