FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > 1971 Morecambe and Wise

1971 Morecambe and Wise

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubal1 OP   Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

The 1971 Christmas special from Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise is such a comedy masterpiece, that I think it should be broadcast ever year on BBC. Eric himself thought it was the finest piece of work that they had ever produced; a masterclass.

The Andre Previn piano piece is perennially amusing; truly unbeatable.

In Germany every year since 1963, a British comedy short by Freddie Frinton, called Dinner for One has been broadcast, and it also seen in other countries such as Austria.

I think that the 1971 M & W Special is much better and should now be established as a deserved annual Christmas feature.

Do you agree?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I prefer the Angela Rippon dancing one.

And (not sure if it was a Christmas one?) where they made breakfast and were chucking things to each other.

Newry Down

"I prefer the Angela Rippon dancing one.

And (not sure if it was a Christmas one?) where they made breakfast and were chucking things to each other."

The breakfast sketch was enacted using the music from The Stripper as far as I can recall.

Newry Down

It appears that Morecambe and Wise (Eric and Ernie), who admittedly passed away several years ago, are not particularly popular in Ireland!

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Yes, won’t hurt, Christmas tv is full of old repeats anyway. People have plenty of choice what to watch, so if they don’t want to, they can watch something else.

By *emma HoldenTV/TS  over a year ago

Ramsey

I'd agree cos yes it was funny but maybe a golden "best of" clips show to include singing in the rain & the breakfast sketch.

My parents never watched M&W so only found them myself later in life & loved them straight away.

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

I met Eric at the ABC cinema in Luton when I was a kid, shook his hand.

Loved all the specials and the newly found episode.

Yes show them every Christmas.

By *oeofsussexMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I knew the principal oboeist in the orchestra for the Andre Previn sketch. He gave the A for the orchestra to tune. It was the Philharmonia orchestra and Jock Sutcliffe was considered one of Europe’s finest oboeists. He was also a brilliant cellist. He died some years ago now during a concert in the Wigmore Hall. Rarely known anyone to match his wicked sense of humour! RIP Jock!

By *oeofsussexMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

He explained that none of the orchestra had been prepared or rehearsed for the sketch. The arrived, tuned, the cameras were live, that was it. You see the orchestra members laughing at the gags just as much as the audience as it was the first time for them too!

By *hunderace...Man  over a year ago

Dudley

Mr Preview...

» Add a new message to this topic