FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do books have to be 600 pages long

Do books have to be 600 pages long

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *arkSuitedBooted OP   Man  over a year ago

Nottingham City Centre

Or the writers just like to flex? I feel in most cases they could've covered the subject or story in 200 pages.

Just like those TV series nowadays over 30 how it's long where a movie would be 2 hours max.. your thoughts please

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I like a book I can read in a night now, cant be doing with those big brick books anymore.

Could do it in a single oage if you really wanted to..

Murder mystery - woman is killed in the street, who done it? It was her jealous ex boyfriend. The end.

God no, get me a big heavy tome. Love a chunky one!

By *igJFromSAMan  over a year ago

Woking

As long as it remains engaging and the pace doesn't drag any length is acceptable, there are 14 700+ page books in the Wheel of time series and I enjoyed all of that, but equally some meaningful stories can be told in under 20 pages.

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

Man with outside toilet says yes, books have to be 600 pages long and made of soft paper

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

Most of the books I read are history books of at least 600 pages. I wouldn't really want them to leave something out "because it's a bit long". Luke

#CliffsNotesGeneration !

Think average good book is about 350,at least what I read but I've read some absolutely outstanding ones twice that

"Think average good book is about 350,at least what I read but I've read some absolutely outstanding ones twice that"

But what is your answer to the question

"Think average good book is about 350,at least what I read but I've read some absolutely outstanding ones twice that

But what is your answer to the question "

Read a load of books that could never be told in 200 pages. On particular love books that take characters from young age through to old age. Gives a whole life story. Saying that some books are like my reply. Ramble on a bit too long

"Think average good book is about 350,at least what I read but I've read some absolutely outstanding ones twice that

Read a load of books that could never be told in 200 pages. On particular love books that take characters from young age through to old age. Gives a whole life story. Saying that some books are like my reply. Ramble on a bit too long"

Again, what’s your answer to the topic.

Read a load of books that could never be told in 200 pages. On particular love books that take characters from young age through to old age. Gives a whole life story. Saying that some books are like my reply. Ramble on a bit too long

Again, what’s your answer to the topic. "

Sorry thought I did. My answer is a load of books cannot be wrote in 200 pages. At least most of the ones I read. I'll check the question again to make sure that's an answer

Sorry thought I did. My answer is a load of books cannot be wrote in 200 pages. At least most of the ones I read. I'll check the question again to make sure that's an answer "

To say you read, it’s a questionable response. Do books have to be over 600 pages long…I’ll help ya. It’s a closed question

Sorry thought I did. My answer is a load of books cannot be wrote in 200 pages. At least most of the ones I read. I'll check the question again to make sure that's an answer

To say you read, it’s a questionable response. Do books have to be over 600 pages long…I’ll help ya. It’s a closed question "

Fuck I've been in some pointless conversations so whats another one. Yes,some books have to be over 600 pages to get the whole story told. Some don't. Wouldnt generalise and say no book should go over 600 pages or say that all books should be 200 pages. Hope this is an acceptable answer

To say you read, it’s a questionable response. Do books have to be over 600 pages long…I’ll help ya. It’s a closed question

Fuck I've been in some pointless conversations so whats another one. Yes,some books have to be over 600 pages to get the whole story told. Some don't. Wouldnt generalise and say no book should go over 600 pages or say that all books should be 200 pages. Hope this is an acceptable answer "

Do you know what a closed question is?

Fuck I've been in some pointless conversations so whats another one. Yes,some books have to be over 600 pages to get the whole story told. Some don't. Wouldnt generalise and say no book should go over 600 pages or say that all books should be 200 pages. Hope this is an acceptable answer

Do you know what a closed question is?"

So it's not an acceptable answer. I apologise unreservedly. Hahahahahahaha. Please please please accept my apology. I really mean it

Do you know what a closed question is?

So it's not an acceptable answer. I apologise unreservedly. Hahahahahahaha. Please please please accept my apology. I really mean it "

Still you display the definition of insanity

By *obnobnowMan  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Old man & the sea is 120 pages or so, Mice and Men similar....quality not quantity although when you get a good writer riffing and hitting their mark then you don't want it to finish.....

"Old man & the sea is 120 pages or so, Mice and Men similar....quality not quantity although when you get a good writer riffing and hitting their mark then you don't want it to finish....."

You like to repeat yourself

By *aughtiness69Couple  over a year ago

Kinmel bay

Nothing beats a saga, several books that fleshes out the details of the world you are delving into.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

It's a tricky one. Book length is often mandated by the publisher. You will get a set amount of pages/words to fill.

If, for example, you're writing for the YA market, it's completely different than for more mature markets.

The YA market tends to be pithy and punchier. Huge volumes are off-putting.

You've got to get the story across and engage the audience from the get go. No room for preamble or lengthy exposition.

It's probably the arena I feel most comfortable writing in.

Having no restrictions or limitations as a writer tends to make one lazy and the end-product is at risk of bloating.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman  over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Depends on the book.... lord of the rings for instance... or even the books the game of thrones is based on... yes they are just right. X.

Under the dome is another one. I like books that keep me captivated

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

Merton

It annoys me when books are 600 pages long when the main point could have been covered in 200 pages or less. Most old books were much shorter than the books of today. Nowadays, it's the publishers who want a certain number of words, so quantity is what they want.

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

I’ve read nearly 60 books this year and I track them all on Goodreads and you get stats on what you’ve read etc and although my longest book this year was over 900 pages, the average was about 350, but I don’t think about how long a book is when I’m choosing it, or while I’m reading it, as long as the story continues to be engaging then why does it matter!

Don’t have to be. None of the James Bond novels are more than 250 pages long, still good reads though.

» Add a new message to this topic