FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mood hovers

Mood hovers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How do you deal with them? You know the type! The ones who are always negative, suck the life out of you. Can change the atmosphere in a room in a blink of an eye. They just hover up your good vibes, bring your mood down and make you feel crappie for being happy?

What do you call those types of people, toxic vampires, negative nellies, energy vampires?

Sorry for being negative and bringing the mood down

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I ignore them and move on usually.

I try to stop pissing them off. Or ignore them. Or wind them up. It's a lottery.

By *hat BlokeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

I guess the world needs its Eyores to balance out the Tiggers. But I would suggest you take them only in small doses.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Online I just ignore

Real life I plan a renergising activity, I have friends who are like this and this is the only way I can maintain our friendship, non friends I just walk away from

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Beware the viper with false positiveness.

By *illynillyCouple  over a year ago

Wiltshire

As a naturally bubbly and positive person (Nilly), I try my best to cheer people up...once they start sucking the life out of every room they walk in I will politely tell them

"I guess the world needs its Eyores to balance out the Tiggers. But I would suggest you take them only in small doses."

Hahaha. I like this

By *idnight RamblerMan  over a year ago

Pershore

Yes, we've all met that kind of person. They are toxic and like to project their negativity onto others. Personally, I think emotional detachment is the best tactic - imagine people as an artist would a subject or doctor a patient. At least until you want to let your guard down.

I try to avoid the drains and seek out the radiators

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

If its family and they need me I help otherwise tend to keep away from negativity

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

I have a "miserable friend", I limit the time I listen or see her. I think she's starting to notice and, moderating her behaviour.

"I try to avoid the drains and seek out the radiators "

I could be a plug in heater

By *batMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Rather than mood hoover, I call them “soul suckers”.

I was married to one!

Gbat

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

Not easy to be around for sure. Especially if youre easily affected by others. I Send them love and keep my own good energetic boundaries. We have a part to play too.

STOKE ON TRENT

"Not easy to be around for sure. Especially if youre easily affected by others. I Send them love and keep my own good energetic boundaries. We have a part to play too. "

Xxx

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Cut them out so I don’t become a mood hoover

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

There’s a few on here. I just avoid the threads. I come on here for a laugh so I’m not interested in the depressing threads. In real life I don’t think I really have people like that.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"I try to avoid the drains and seek out the radiators "

That’s me too! Love radiators

"How do you deal with them? You know the type! The ones who are always negative, suck the life out of you. Can change the atmosphere in a room in a blink of an eye. They just hover up your good vibes, bring your mood down and make you feel crappie for being happy?

What do you call those types of people, toxic vampires, negative nellies, energy vampires?

Sorry for being negative and bringing the mood down "

Oh the irony

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

They might get invited once, but they don't get invited round a second time.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Part of my decision to leave my job was because nearly everyone I worked with was negative. It was draining spending 8 hours in the company of misery.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Seems like everyone who posted before me believes they are a 'tigger' or a 'radiator' ....... delusional.

There will be times when you ARE down in the dumps.

Funny how we get thread after thread after thread about caring about mental health and then all of a sudden ..... those who are down should be avoided lest your own sparkly fun rainbow life gets a little grey moment in it.

Life is full of light and dark. No one is always a bundle of fun and that includes you.

Having said that....... I allow everyone I know 'a bad hour' a 'bad day' a 'trickier more challenging time in their life.' ..... they are human.

Anyone who is a nasty cunt 100% of the time needs better help than I can give and I do believe in self preservation and will keep my distance.

I have a friend with a very bleak outlook on life yet I enjoy her intelligence and wit and generosity and enjoy cheering her up and making her laugh about herself. She's too good to lose and she's actually kinder than I am. She feels for the witless whereas I have difficulty with that.

I'd prefer her company any day to the morose comments I read or hear from the brain dead who have never had an original idea, are desperate to fit in and follow the crowd and want to tell me about their new curtains...... I really don't give a fuck about anyone's new anything.

"Part of my decision to leave my job was because nearly everyone I worked with was negative. It was draining spending 8 hours in the company of misery. "

Out of the frying pan and into the fire being a mod on here lol x

"I try to avoid the drains and seek out the radiators

That’s me too! Love radiators "

I'm a radiator . I try and warm my drains up a little each time I come across one ... But some people are happiest being miserable

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

"Seems like everyone who posted before me believes they are a 'tigger' or a 'radiator' ....... delusional.

Funny how we get thread after thread after thread about caring about mental health and then all of a sudden ..... those who are down should be avoided lest your own sparkly fun rainbow life gets a little grey moment in it.

Life is full of light and dark. No one is always a bundle of fun and that includes you.

Having said that....... I allow everyone I know 'a bad hour' a 'bad day' a 'trickier more challenging time in their life.' ..... they are human.

"

I agree wholeheartedly Granny. I wouldn't say I'm either really, I have excitable times and times when I feel very low. That's normal. I'd hate to have to think I constantly have to be up, keeping up a facade in order to prevent people from seeing me as a radiator. That's not how humans work is it?

Radiators can be cold sometimes.

Paradise, Herts

"Seems like everyone who posted before me believes they are a 'tigger' or a 'radiator' ....... delusional.

I agree wholeheartedly Granny. I wouldn't say I'm either really, I have excitable times and times when I feel very low. That's normal. I'd hate to have to think I constantly have to be up, keeping up a facade in order to prevent people from seeing me as a radiator. That's not how humans work is it? "

It’s not but we all work differently. I wouldn’t come on here and post how down in the dumps I was and I don’t particularity like to read it so I avoid those threads. I come on here for a laugh, some post their life stories and that’s fine but it does sometimes get too much and takes the fun away. In which case I’ll disappear for a while. Everyone’s here for different things and I’m sure people get lots of support here. It’s just sometimes it’s literally most of the threads!

STOKE ON TRENT

Anyone who is a nasty cunt 100% of the time needs better help than I can give and I do believe in self preservation and will keep my distance.

I have a friend with a very bleak outlook on life yet I enjoy her intelligence and wit and generosity and enjoy cheering her up and making her laugh about herself. She's too good to lose and she's actually kinder than I am. She feels for the witless whereas I have difficulty with that.

I'd prefer her company any day to the morose comments I read or hear from the brain dead who have never had an original idea, are desperate to fit in and follow the crowd and want to tell me about their new curtains...... I really don't give a fuck about anyone's new anything. "

The point of the thread is how draining

Negativity is

I agree wholeheartedly Granny. I wouldn't say I'm either really, I have excitable times and times when I feel very low. That's normal. I'd hate to have to think I constantly have to be up, keeping up a facade in order to prevent people from seeing me as a radiator. That's not how humans work is it?

It’s not but we all work differently. I wouldn’t come on here and post how down in the dumps I was and I don’t particularity like to read it so I avoid those threads. I come on here for a laugh, some post their life stories and that’s fine but it does sometimes get too much and takes the fun away. In which case I’ll disappear for a while. Everyone’s here for different things and I’m sure people get lots of support here. It’s just sometimes it’s literally most of the threads! "

But you have posted before when you've been feeling low, or upset with things that have gone on. Or discussed things that others might see as less fun.

I do understand avoiding certain threads if they're not a right fit for you and the desire to stick to fun threads. I think I'm trying to say it's nuanced and people are. It can be most of the threads, definitely. I post a lot less nowadays for various reasons.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Part of my decision to leave my job was because nearly everyone I worked with was negative. It was draining spending 8 hours in the company of misery.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire being a mod on here lol x"

Lol nah.

Everyone where I worked was ground down by boredom, bad management and uncertainty. Eventually pessimism and misery became the default setting. It was a very difficult atmosphere.

Paradise, Herts

It’s not but we all work differently. I wouldn’t come on here and post how down in the dumps I was and I don’t particularity like to read it so I avoid those threads. I come on here for a laugh, some post their life stories and that’s fine but it does sometimes get too much and takes the fun away. In which case I’ll disappear for a while. Everyone’s here for different things and I’m sure people get lots of support here. It’s just sometimes it’s literally most of the threads!

But you have posted before when you've been feeling low, or upset with things that have gone on. Or discussed things that others might see as less fun.

I do understand avoiding certain threads if they're not a right fit for you and the desire to stick to fun threads. I think I'm trying to say it's nuanced and people are. It can be most of the threads, definitely. I post a lot less nowadays for various reasons. "

I can’t remember posting anything in a serious way. I’m sure many don’t like my threads, In fact I know some don’t. And that’s fine. I’m just saying what I don’t personally like to see and what drains me x

STOKE ON TRENT

I do understand avoiding certain threads if they're not a right fit for you and the desire to stick to fun threads. I think I'm trying to say it's nuanced and people are. It can be most of the threads, definitely. I post a lot less nowadays for various reasons.

I can’t remember posting anything in a serious way. I’m sure many don’t like my threads, In fact I know some don’t. And that’s fine. I’m just saying what I don’t personally like to see and what drains me x"

I like your posting its always fun xxx

You have never once mentioned

Your painful wisdom teeth or gout or rate your bathroom tiles

Xxx

Paradise, Herts

I can’t remember posting anything in a serious way. I’m sure many don’t like my threads, In fact I know some don’t. And that’s fine. I’m just saying what I don’t personally like to see and what drains me x

Xxx"

. I’m slacking then!! My bathroom tiles are definitely a 10 though

STOKE ON TRENT

Xxx

. I’m slacking then!! My bathroom tiles are definitely a 10 though "

your lovely xxx

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Some people are just natural mood hovers my sister is one! I'm totally the opposite nowt as queer as folk x

"i agree wholeheartedly Granny. I wouldn't say I'm either really, I have excitable times and times when I feel very low. That's normal. I'd hate to have to think I constantly have to be up, keeping up a facade in order to prevent people from seeing me as a radiator. That's not how humans work is it? "

But I don't think its about putting on a facade - i think its more about your impact on others (and yourself) when you are in that state. I would encourage everyone to be their authentic self

The way i see it, is that radiators have a natural, positive outlook on life and are able to spin the negative into a positive - for themselves and more importantly for others..but its not about a pretense of happiness - that is a whole different topic. In fact i think you can be a tremendous radiator, but be in the depths of despair

"i agree wholeheartedly Granny. I wouldn't say I'm either really, I have excitable times and times when I feel very low. That's normal. I'd hate to have to think I constantly have to be up, keeping up a facade in order to prevent people from seeing me as a radiator. That's not how humans work is it?

But I don't think its about putting on a facade - i think its more about your impact on others (and yourself) when you are in that state. I would encourage everyone to be their authentic self

The way i see it, is that radiators have a natural, positive outlook on life and are able to spin the negative into a positive - for themselves and more importantly for others..but its not about a pretense of happiness - that is a whole different topic. In fact i think you can be a tremendous radiator, but be in the depths of despair "

Ah my post was meant to say hoover rather than radiator.

I do understand the concept of hoover/radiator - I normally use the term energy vampire, like a Colin Robinson. I don't think you can be a true radiator in the depths of despair because it wouldn't resonate in the right way. It can be sensed.

Having typed all this though, I do see what you're saying Midnight!

And I'm maybe thinking I should post more banal fun.

STOKE ON TRENT

"i agree wholeheartedly Granny. I wouldn't say I'm either really, I have excitable times and times when I feel very low. That's normal. I'd hate to have to think I constantly have to be up, keeping up a facade in order to prevent people from seeing me as a radiator. That's not how humans work is it?

The way i see it, is that radiators have a natural, positive outlook on life and are able to spin the negative into a positive - for themselves and more importantly for others..but its not about a pretense of happiness - that is a whole different topic. In fact i think you can be a tremendous radiator, but be in the depths of despair

I do understand the concept of hoover/radiator - I normally use the term energy vampire, like a Colin Robinson. I don't think you can be a true radiator in the depths of despair because it wouldn't resonate in the right way. It can be sensed.

And I'm maybe thinking I should post more banal fun. "

Or anal

By *batMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Can't wait to see the newest Colin Robinson! Bring on the next series I say!!

Gabt

"

And I'm maybe thinking I should post more banal fun.

Or anal "

I already have a stick up my arse as it is.

Are there people who are positive and happy all the time??

Those kind of people freak me out.

I had a friend who proclaimed to be one of those people, when in reality his was hiding very deep pain.

And I'm maybe thinking I should post more banal fun. "

well that would have saved me 7 mins of my life tapping on my tiny phone screen

How about Robin Williams?? Apparently very positive in his daily interactions and described as a radiator but still took his own life

"Are there people who are positive and happy all the time??

Those kind of people freak me out.

I had a friend who proclaimed to be one of those people, when in reality his was hiding very deep pain.

"

I think you answered your own question? Some people are very good at how they present themselves to the world but shield what they are feeling /thinking. You probably described half the population

Ah… you worked in the same organisation as me!! Small world..

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

I think there is a difference between poor mental health and being a negative person. I am usually a positive person, sure I can be cynical about others and life in general but when I think about my own feelings I'm usually up-beat. That didn't stop me going through a bout of depression - though it may well have helped limit that period. In just the same way a person who is constantly negative may not be dealing with MH issues, they just have a negative personality.

We all tend to judge others based on how we see things, how we experience life and how we react so when we meet people like this we assume that they could be like us but are choosing not to be. The reality is very different, the free will we believe has allowed us to make ourselves into the people we are is, in all probability, an illusion. We are the way we are as a product of things that to a large extent are outside our control - genetics and environment. Someone who is instinctively negative likely has no more chance of changing than you or I have of becoming a virtuoso pianist - we could put in hours and hours of practice and achieve a reasonable degree of competency but no matter how hard we try we will never be as good as those blessed with the "right" genes.

I tend to feel sorry for people who are relentlessly negative because if I felt like that I would be really miserable but presumably for them it feels normal which makes me wonder how I would even know if I was like that?

Mr

[Removed by poster at 14/12/21 11:17:20]

You know that friend who always rings up to complain,yet refuses to do anything about the situation or take any action to better themselves?

Yes you do..

And you always answer don't you..

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Some very interesting posts! Food for thought indeed.

I do think there is a difference between having a bad day, time in your life, being in a mood, feeling sad, having depression, personality disorder or a mental health issue and someone who is a mood hoover.

What do I know I’m off to soak in a crystal bath and recharge my energy

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I'd prefer her company any day to the morose comments I read or hear from the brain dead who have never had an original idea, are desperate to fit in and follow the crowd and want to tell me about their new curtains...... I really don't give a fuck about anyone's new anything.

The point of the thread is how draining

Negativity is"

I read the O.P.

I understood the O.P.

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

"How do you deal with them? You know the type! The ones who are always negative, suck the life out of you. Can change the atmosphere in a room in a blink of an eye. They just hover up your good vibes, bring your mood down and make you feel crappie for being happy?

Oh crikey - sorry, I'll get me coat.

Fun sponge!! Which sounds so cute it immediately starts counter acting the negative vibes! Duel effects, like a strepsil

Dementors!

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

I cut them out of my life.

By *ackdaw52Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

I seem to have this effect on people but it's completely unintentional.

Everyone is laughing and having fun but the mood changes when I appear.

I don't know why because I like to share laughs and be silly sometimes.

It's hurtful to know that the only way to make sure everyone is having a good time is to leave them alone.

STOKE ON TRENT

"I seem to have this effect on people but it's completely unintentional.

It's hurtful to know that the only way to make sure everyone is having a good time is to leave them alone."

I don't believe that

You seem lovely

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"I seem to have this effect on people but it's completely unintentional.

It's hurtful to know that the only way to make sure everyone is having a good time is to leave them alone."

Honestly we all tend to massively overestimate the impact we have on others. If you're not making negative comments, saying negative things about yourself, others or the situation then you really aren't having this effect even if you believe it. Unfortunately negativity can be self fulfilling, if you believe you're a negative person you'll make negative comments (like the one you posted on this thread about yourself) and that then portrays you as a negative person and justifies your statement. There's an old saying, if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing and it works incredibly well. If you only speak to say positive things about yourself and others then you will not be seen as a negative person.

Mr

By *ackdaw52Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

I try not to say any negative things, I think it's more down to difficulties in communication.

I'm very stoic and unreactive. I rarely smile or laugh even if I find something funny. I'm a stand up comedian's nightmare.

Conversely I find it difficult to read people and tell if they are joking or not, so it's hard to know how to respond.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

I very pleasant and overly nice to them. Because when they flip, they'll hopefully spare me...

Though to be fair I'd rather avoid people at the other end of the spectrum, those people that declare themselves 'fun' and 'crazy'.

I'd prefer her company any day to the morose comments I read or hear from the brain dead who have never had an original idea, are desperate to fit in and follow the crowd and want to tell me about their new curtains...... I really don't give a fuck about anyone's new anything. "

» Add a new message to this topic