FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > High Streets and Market Towns

High Streets and Market Towns

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

From Suffolk to Cumbria I know people fighting big supermarkets to try and keep their market towns and maintain independent retailers.

Tesco are in Lyme Regis now, along with a Costa Coffee and other chains. It was sad to see some of the old shops gone, never to return.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lexaWoman  over a year ago

southampton

I agree. Towns are losing their identity. They're becoming 'chains.'

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"From Suffolk to Cumbria I know people fighting big supermarkets to try and keep their market towns and maintain independent retailers.

Tesco are in Lyme Regis now, along with a Costa Coffee and other chains. It was sad to see some of the old shops gone, never to return."

Everywhere you go now theres costa

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I was told that one pound in seven that is spent in UK goes though a Tesco till. Also Tesco has become one of the biggest land owners in UK. Sad really

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Soooo shall we boycott Tesco? I hate the place with a vengeance!

My town is not chainy. Come and visit

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"From Suffolk to Cumbria I know people fighting big supermarkets to try and keep their market towns and maintain independent retailers.

Tesco are in Lyme Regis now, along with a Costa Coffee and other chains. It was sad to see some of the old shops gone, never to return."

I know ! It's sad. I miss pushing my barrow to the apple market and making my own candles with deer tallow.

Got to go im weaving some nice plaid for a suit I want to wear in 2015 xxxx

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Soooo shall we boycott Tesco? I hate the place with a vengeance!

My town is not chainy. Come and visit "

I shop at Waitrose because I hate poor people.

By *uckoldandWifeCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

Tesco are in Lyme Regis now, along with a Costa Coffee and other chains. It was sad to see some of the old shops gone, never to return.

I know ! It's sad. I miss pushing my barrow to the apple market and making my own candles with deer tallow.

Got to go im weaving some nice plaid for a suit I want to wear in 2015 xxxx "

haha, funny crumpet

dudley

bournville village has fought Tesco's and won in regards to alcohol sales in village so it is possible

dudley

My town is not chainy. Come and visit

I shop at Waitrose because I hate poor people. "

I know there's a joke about Merseyside in there somewhere

"Soooo shall we boycott Tesco? I hate the place with a vengeance!"

A bit hard for me to boycott Tesco... the wife freakin' works for 'em!

dudley

A bit hard for me to boycott Tesco... the wife freakin' works for 'em! "

With hold sex until she jacks in job

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I cant boycott tesco as i live next door, we have a costa coffee and a nero's is going to open and a sandwich chain think its the ones that own greggs. we have a waitrose or sainsburies coming on the outskirts of the town but its mostl one of shops here and boutiques

Come and live near me..... No Tesco No Costa.... pretty much Fuck all within 20 miles!

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I dislike Tesco for the way they treat their suppliers. Besides that I try and support local business wherever I can, be it the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker. Seriously!

Got to go im weaving some nice plaid for a suit I want to wear in 2015 xxxx "

You could have done the candle making and weaving in Lyme until very recently.

I do want people to have jobs but walking around the town and hearing the tales of things closing as they can't compete. Often it is visitors using the chains as they are comforted by the familiar.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I cant boycott tesco as i live next door, we have a costa coffee and a nero's is going to open and a sandwich chain think its the ones that own greggs. we have a waitrose or sainsburies coming on the outskirts of the town but its mostl one of shops here and boutiques"

Going all up market now but I base my life around LIDL opening times

"Come and live near me..... No Tesco No Costa.... pretty much Fuck all within 20 miles! "

I used to and escaped !!!!! lol

Come to whitley bay bars shutting every week only shops are charity shop even the shops that are empty and look shit the have put a picture of a food shop on the window to make it look better lol

By *xodussxMan  over a year ago

sheffield

What is tesco????

"What is tesco???? "

Quite!

The problem is the big boys are cheaper and many don't want to pay the extra. I go along with keeping the village/town life going but when it is a lot more money then you think twice.

By *he tactile technicianMan  over a year ago

the good lands, the bad lands, the any where you may want me lands

"Soooo shall we boycott Tesco? I hate the place with a vengeance!"
plus 1

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

What is Morrisons then

My town doesnt have any superstores or costa just lots of empty shops and i would like a large tescos not just a metro

By *andyguy59Man  over a year ago

Gatwick

"Tesco are in Lyme Regis now, along with a Costa Coffee and other chains"

Simple solution ....don't go there I've stopped going so the big supermarkets on a regular basis. I now mainly shop at a small local co-op (yes I know they are a big supermarket) and butcher who also sells veg in our local parade of shops... believe it or not we are spending less as there is less choice. Still need to go to a supermarket now and again though as they do not have everything....like they don't wholemeal flower for bread making.

In the main I don't go to the coffee shops as I refuse to pay that much for a bleeding coffee. I will take someone else to one if they like to get coffee there.

Of a bad bunch, Tesco are the worst. There are 4 in Inverness and the place isn't that big, only 57 thousand in the large highland postcode area. There are 2 Extras and a regular, all within 3 miles of each other, and a large metro in the center. They cannot all be making money. It's been said that they often do this, blanket an area to force out competition but I've never seen it before moving here.

And thats before you count the other supermarkets here, morrisons, asda, lidl, aldi, co-op.

It's no wonder the town center is full of pound shops (3) and charity shops (10 that I know of). As thats all thats left that the supermarkets don't sell.

Pretty soon you'll be buying everything from a supermarket of one variety or another.

"Of a bad bunch, Tesco are the worst. There are 4 in Inverness and the place isn't that big, only 57 thousand in the large highland postcode area. There are 2 Extras and a regular, all within 3 miles of each other, and a large metro in the center. They cannot all be making money. It's been said that they often do this, blanket an area to force out competition but I've never seen it before moving here.

And thats before you count the other supermarkets here, morrisons, asda, lidl, aldi, co-op.

It's no wonder the town center is full of pound shops (3) and charity shops (10 that I know of). As thats all thats left that the supermarkets don't sell.

Pretty soon you'll be buying everything from a supermarket of one variety or another.

"

The land-banking is one of the worst traits. They can afford to leave property empty to prevent local shops taking the space and creating any sort of alternative.

I am saddened that even my beloved Waitrose has bowed to the pressure and is rolling out Little Waitrose shops all over the place.

Lyme, is a lovely little seaside town and agree with what you are saying. Spend most summer hols down there and around charmouth

» Add a new message to this topic