FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Changing priorities...

Changing priorities...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *phrodite OP   Woman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

something made me think this morning how over the years I have changed my mind quite dramatically about what is and what is not so important to me.

In what way have you changed? (Lighthearted or serious answers accepted;-)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

i am slowly lerning that the opinions of strangers matter less and less to me, i am who i am, i am happy with that and people seem to like me for it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

After a significant life event a few years ago I realised that I needed to change my priorities about who,and what, were important in my life and possibly become a little more selfish. Although it was a bumpy journey at times I am now far happier and much more confident as an individual than I was then and tend to worry less about the opinions of others. I have become less forgiving of ignorance and intolerance, but will give everything I can as a friend or family member to those that can accept me warts and all.

Im learning that I shouldnt put myself down before other people do it and if people put me down then they've got a fight on there hands.

its a long journey! .

"After a significant life event a few years ago I realised that I needed to change my priorities about who,and what, were important in my life and possibly become a little more selfish. Although it was a bumpy journey at times I am now far happier and much more confident as an individual than I was then and tend to worry less about the opinions of others. I have become less forgiving of ignorance and intolerance, but will give everything I can as a friend or family member to those that can accept me warts and all."
That is a such a good way of looking at things I believe. If you learn to accept yourself whatever you are, then that makes it more easy for others to accept you - and if they do not... well they (and you) have the choice of not interacting with each other!

how important my son and husband is to me even though we have had our ups and downs. they are the two people who i am closest to.

"Im learning that I shouldnt put myself down before other people do it and if people put me down then they've got a fight on there hands.

its a long journey! ."

I like the concept of it being a journey whcih means it is a continuing process. I also like the sound of emerging confidence which grows as we get older.

"how important my son and husband is to me even though we have had our ups and downs. they are the two people who i am closest to."

So what you are saying is that in a life of possibly changing priorities... your family has stayed a top priority? I would agree with that statement

By *andKCouple  over a year ago

Norfolk

A friend of mine died then a good friend of K's died 2 days before her 50th (she was 5 weeks older than K) from then on we decided we will never know when it's our turn so we made the decision to enjoy life to the full. As long as we have enough to live on we now do exactly what we fancy when we fancy it rather than think what might be the sensible thing to do.

"After a significant life event a few years ago I realised that I needed to change my priorities about who,and what, were important in my life and possibly become a little more selfish. Although it was a bumpy journey at times I am now far happier and much more confident as an individual than I was then and tend to worry less about the opinions of others. I have become less forgiving of ignorance and intolerance, but will give everything I can as a friend or family member to those that can accept me warts and all.That is a such a good way of looking at things I believe. If you learn to accept yourself whatever you are, then that makes it more easy for others to accept you - and if they do not... well they (and you) have the choice of not interacting with each other! "

Don't get me wrong, I still have my moments of self doubt and I'm sure most people do..but the balance of how much that is influenced by the opinions of others has changed a lot for the better.

"A friend of mine died then a good friend of K's died 2 days before her 50th (she was 5 weeks older than K) from then on we decided we will never know when it's our turn so we made the decision to enjoy life to the full. As long as we have enough to live on we now do exactly what we fancy when we fancy it rather than think what might be the sensible thing to do."

After a life-changing event a few years ago, I had to make certain adjustments at home, and was not able to put in as many hours as I used to be able to do at work.

Less than a year later at my next performance appraisal, I was cited to be less co-operative than I was before, and my boss at the time actually said it was probably because I had less time and patience than I used to have before the life-changing event.

One should not need to be Sherlock Holmes to work that one out!

I received my first ever "Meet Expectations" grading, instead of "Exceeds Expectations" of the past.

Shortly after the appraisal, the announcement came about closing the factory in 2 years' time.

I was going to stay until the bitter end to ease the burden on my boss. Then thought against it, as I did not feel I needed to be loyal to him or my employer due to lack of appreciation of what I did prior to the life-changing event, and legged it as soon as I had made up my mind about leaving.

I decided I no longer wish to be a high-flying jet-setting executive, or be in a managerial position as it upset me having to discipline under-performing staff, and to select and make people redundant.

I no longer wish to be the last person out of the door.

Besides, I am too rebellious to climb high on the corporate food chain.

Life now as a pleb is grand, with no managerial responsibility. If the shit hits the fan, I can always pass it up to the bosses while running round gathering information and data to support their decision-making process, which is one of my forte.

My earning potential had been compromised as a result, however, I no longer feel guilty about leaving at reasonable times, putting in the extra hours that I am prepared to put in.

I achieved a better work/life balance as a result.

By *reybearMan  over a year ago

medway

"A friend of mine died then a good friend of K's died 2 days before her 50th (she was 5 weeks older than K) from then on we decided we will never know when it's our turn so we made the decision to enjoy life to the full. As long as we have enough to live on we now do exactly what we fancy when we fancy it rather than think what might be the sensible thing to do."

Same here, my best friend of 30 years died 3 years ago , he was the same age as me and it suddenly makes you want to do more and live for the moment now rather than in the future that might not happen....... hence being on here

That I am a strong woman, that no man is going to be allowed close enough to hurt me and that its ok to think women are sexy.

By *piderxMan  over a year ago

west lothian

mine changed a few yrs with the break up of my marriage

beening left with 3 boys ok they were all late teens but still needed looking after after there mother buggered off with her new fella

made me realise how much i didnt know them and have spent the last 5 yrs spending as much time with them as possible

and becoming a granda just changed everything

It's a two sided coin situation for me.

Due to recent events this year with a close family member I've had to sacrifice my out going swinging lifestyle to concentrate on caring for my relative. It's been a difficult period but it's made me appreciate how important family are. On the other hand it's made me relise that when I get my freetime back next month I'm not going take it for granted, so I will enjoy every moment that is bestowed up on me.

Thanks to everybody who has been contributing so far - I guess the gist for most is to enjoy life wherever possible as nobody knows just how much time we have got but we do know that we only have that one shot. Also it sounds like some have been evalutating work/ leisure balance in favour of working with less pressure and more time for enjoyment - something which I have decided for myself, too by changing careers a couple of years ago (for the 4th time lol) Some feel a greater appreciation of family values as they get older and while I have always had family as a top priority, I certainly live my time with them in a more conscious way.... meaning the ironing may suffer in favour of a board game, the cooking may be reduced to sandwiches in favour or a family walk.

"Thanks to everybody who has been contributing so far - I guess the gist for most is to enjoy life wherever possible as nobody knows just how much time we have got but we do know that we only have that one shot. Also it sounds like some have been evalutating work/ leisure balance in favour of working with less pressure and more time for enjoyment - something which I have decided for myself, too by changing careers a couple of years ago (for the 4th time lol) Some feel a greater appreciation of family values as they get older and while I have always had family as a top priority, I certainly live my time with them in a more conscious way.... meaning the ironing may suffer in favour of a board game, the cooking may be reduced to sandwiches in favour or a family walk. "

"Thanks to everybody who has been contributing so far - I guess the gist for most is to enjoy life wherever possible as nobody knows just how much time we have got but we do know that we only have that one shot. Also it sounds like some have been evalutating work/ leisure balance in favour of working with less pressure and more time for enjoyment - something which I have decided for myself, too by changing careers a couple of years ago (for the 4th time lol) Some feel a greater appreciation of family values as they get older and while I have always had family as a top priority, I certainly live my time with them in a more conscious way.... meaning the ironing may suffer in favour of a board game, the cooking may be reduced to sandwiches in favour or a family walk.

"

You know this is so funny - I had to read my OP again to remember what I was thinking this morning... oh heck old age setting in

"Thanks to everybody who has been contributing so far - I guess the gist for most is to enjoy life wherever possible as nobody knows just how much time we have got but we do know that we only have that one shot. Also it sounds like some have been evalutating work/ leisure balance in favour of working with less pressure and more time for enjoyment - something which I have decided for myself, too by changing careers a couple of years ago (for the 4th time lol) Some feel a greater appreciation of family values as they get older and while I have always had family as a top priority, I certainly live my time with them in a more conscious way.... meaning the ironing may suffer in favour of a board game, the cooking may be reduced to sandwiches in favour or a family walk.

You know this is so funny - I had to read my OP again to remember what I was thinking this morning... oh heck old age setting in "

Now you tread carefully, it was 10 hours ago you know

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

I was told when I was much younger that life is a long road with loads of turns and twists. But where ever you are going is where you end up. Out of everything in my life my family as remained constant. When I am low they raise me and when I am flying they hold on to the string just to make sure I am ok. Friends may come and go but family are forever, come what may

» Add a new message to this topic