FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > world cycling championships

world cycling championships

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ucky_Lads OP   Couple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

GB rider lucy garner retained her title in the junor ladies road race yesterday winning a cav like bunch sprint!.

this morning is the under 23 race where we only qualified for 3 riders,hopes will be on josh edmundson who performed really well in the recent tour of britain against top class opposition.

the ladies race this afternoon our hopes are on emma pooley who is hoping to get over her dissapointment of 4th place in the time trial,the course features 2 nasty climbs which suit the lightly built pooley and with the finish line coming so soon after the last climb of the cauberg she stands a very good chance.

in the elite mens race on sunday defending champion mark cavendish knows he could well be relinquishing his title as it is too lumpy for him,but who knows what the race might bring?,will brad wiggins & chris froome have re-charged the batteries after such a momentuous summer?,can jonathan tiernan-locke build on his ever growing reputation after his epic tour of britain win?,the course could well suit him but the distance might be a lap (or 2)too far for the devonian.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rishmochaMan  over a year ago

Herts

Is this on tv?

"Is this on tv?"

eurosport 2.pm this afternoon and bbc red button about 1.30pm,and terrestrial bbc 3.30pm but check schedules!.

most of the elite mens race tomorrrow is on eurosport from 8.30am,til the finish about 6 hours and 45 minutes later!.

bbc2 from 3.30 for closing stages but longer session from bbc red buttton.

By *rishmochaMan  over a year ago

Herts

Thanks. No eurosport will be pushing that red button today! Normally I'm trying to push her button

keep an eye on the tv schedules as they change in the blink of an eye!.

By *idsmateyMan  over a year ago

Warwickshire

Doesn't it make a pleasent change for Britain not just having success but dominating a sport and bringing through the next generation who will hopefully maintain the momentum and gain more successes along the way.

I'm hoping to catch an hour or two laters.

it's sheer brill!,a far cry from the pauper days of yore!.

must get a steady 2 hours on bike this afternoon and then catch last hour of ladies race,nowadays we really are kings of the road.

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

Don't forget, GB also has the current UCI World Champion Downhill Mountain Bike racer in Redcar's very own Danny Hart - check out some of his runs on youtube to see how insanely quick that lad is.

It's lovely to see GB doing so well in so many different disciplines of competitive cycling, i just hope some of that enthusiasm will rub off onto the small minority of aggressive drivers who seem to actively enjoy trying to force cyclists off the road.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Can someone in the know please explain to me why wiggins didn't do the time trial? he is clearly the best time trialest in the world destroying the field in the tour, as it would appear has no chance really in the main event because he just can't match the acceleration of the big boys on the hills, surely they would of been better aiming for 2 world championship rather than all eggs in one basket

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Can someone in the know please explain to me why wiggins didn't do the time trial? he is clearly the best time trialest in the world destroying the field in the tour, as it would appear has no chance really in the main event because he just can't match the acceleration of the big boys on the hills, surely they would of been better aiming for 2 world championship rather than all eggs in one basket"

oooh... one i know...

he just felt that after the long season he has.... plus all the emotional effort he put in to the TDF and the Olympics, that the world champs was one too many..........

Shame, as I think if he had got himself back up for it he could have destroyed the field...

i think he timed his peak for the biggie of the TDF then winning olympic gold in TT while still on the crest of that wave with the olympics being in london,bit hard to lift him for another peak after that i would have though.

in road race i think the cauberg will see a long stretched out line for the point of the peleton and not really a problem for him with acceleration as its not exactly a col,and he can ride himself in to see if any motivation is there.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The world's used to be in August and all the tour riders rode but since it changed it's actually very unusual for the gc riders to be competitive at the world's.

Mentally and physically peaking in July and again 2 months later is a huge ask. Cav last year had a very quiet spring in order to be competitive the world's.

Wiggins has a very romantic view of the sport and loves the history and traditions. I suspect that he believes he should ride as tour champion rather than with any series aims.

yes i can remember the worlds in august!,you did get a better field in those days as all from TDF would ride!.

in those days after a tour they would ride lots of kermesse races for appearance money based on their tour perfornmances,but do long rides in between to re-buikd the endurance as world championships are a gruelling 7 hours in the saddle.

sill plenty of time to go with 75 kilometres to go but GB have 2 good guys in cummings & tiernan locke the leading break at the moment!,australians,belgians & duch massing at front of the bunch to try to pull the leaders back.

GB's cavendish,dowsett and wiggins have pulled out now after doing their work in the early pacemaking for their better conditioned team mates.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

been a cracking race so far... big group... didn't realise it was the amstel gold course they were racing over...

was a gradual wearing down that even tamed thomas voeckler!,fantastic jump by gilbert to take the title but GB riders did well to feature in breaks and 2 in contention for the last lap decider.

jonathan tiernan-locke did tremendous in that company mixing with the very top class of riders and getting involved in breaks,i thought the extra long distance might have taken it's toll on him but he was superb in curtailing his early attacks and in measuring himself over that distance.

» Add a new message to this topic