FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > trolls

trolls

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've been reading lots of threads recently, and am becomming concerned with people acting like trolls, and deliberately provoking responses by writing insensitive things.

This makes me sad, as it certainly wasn't the case when I first joined.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I sadly havent notcied this but I do know that when someone is genuinely asking for advice some people feel the need to make the thread into a joke and sometimes be just a little rude babe. I know there are little clicks in the forums and sadly im not in a click so i never know if said people take offence.

It can ruin the forums sometimes.

It definitely seems to be on the increase, some people seem to deliberately take the opposite position to the thread, whatever the subject.

You do seem to see the same people passing judgement over and over again, and at times it does look like they are deliberately trying to illicit a response.

Everyone is entitled to hold a _iew on a given subject even if it's contrary to the opening poster or subsequent posters. It doesn't neccessarily make them a troll unless they post insensitive things designed to deliberately inflame, although that in itself is difficult to differentiate between deliberately causing offence or causing offence because of one's _iew.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I think the forums have definitely changed since I first started using them.

Nowadays there seems to be too many people eager to jump on something and abuse posters.

Recently there have been some great fun threads which is good and needed as that's what I use the forums for mostly. I may get serious from time to time but this is a site dedicated go fun after all.

I saw the forums very differently during my recent time out. Everyone should vet a ban from time to time to make them see what newbies and lurkers see

Every social networking site has some...

What I have noticed recently is how quickly some people can take offence...

I dont know if this is becoming endemic with increasing insecurity within society... But at least our Ninjas are handling the worst on this site...;-)

"Everyone is entitled to hold a _iew on a given subject even if it's contrary to the opening poster or subsequent posters. It doesn't neccessarily make them a troll unless they post insensitive things designed to deliberately inflame, although that in itself is difficult to differentiate between deliberately causing offence or causing offence because of one's _iew."

This is my point. Most will not post to a thread if they don't have an interest, but some clearly go out of their way to upset others.

I've not noticed any specific trolls, I think people can at times feel strongly about their opinion and it may come across in a more blunt manner.

Any forum attracts keyboard warriors, and not everyone will have the same _iew point.

I think if you don't take the forums too seriously and just see it as light hearted banter and fun, then people wouldn't get so wound up or disappointed.

"I've not noticed any specific trolls, I think people can at times feel strongly about their opinion and it may come across in a more blunt manner.

Any forum attracts keyboard warriors, and not everyone will have the same _iew point.

I think if you don't take the forums too seriously and just see it as light hearted banter and fun, then people wouldn't get so wound up or disappointed."

I tend to take most things with a pinch of salt,and would mostly agree with you. Just seems more and more inappropriate posts are made, when it would be wiser to stay away.

Thats my veiw. Maybe I'm too simplistic.

I have been here nearly 3 yrs, to be honest, it was even worse then

"Everyone is entitled to hold a _iew on a given subject even if it's contrary to the opening poster or subsequent posters. It doesn't neccessarily make them a troll unless they post insensitive things designed to deliberately inflame, although that in itself is difficult to differentiate between deliberately causing offence or causing offence because of one's _iew.

This is my point. Most will not post to a thread if they don't have an interest, but some clearly go out of their way to upset others. "

I think some people thinks it makes them selves look good by putin people down. Sometimes I think u write stuff and it doesn't read how u ment it to.

I dont get what is deemed innapropriate, and clueless as to what is deemed a troll, luv to know, if it can be defined, appreciate it.

A troll as I understand it is a online bully.

"I dont get what is deemed innapropriate, and clueless as to what is deemed a troll, luv to know, if it can be defined, appreciate it."

Trolls are people deliberately going out of their way to post items to provoke a negative response. Eg the thread set up to poke fun of suicide. It was clearly started to offend people. If you read many threads you can spot the ones trying to take it to another level by either belittleing someone or their beliefs

I have definately noticed its been happening.

I dont belong to any clique (or perhaps I belong to several) but am not scared to disagree or be vocal while doing it, but I am usualy respectfull while doing it. what I would never dream of doing is going onto an RIP thread and making negative coments. This has hapened several times of late and I have happily earned 'time outs' asking the trolls to decist and then go forth and procreate.

Im entirely pro free speach but there is a limit where good taste and decency dictate that things change from banter to trolling and dissing RIP threads is well over the line.

the welsh forums are full of them .

By *ricky_DickyMan  over a year ago

Mirfield

Trolls deliberately set out to cause offense and get a reaction from people, the best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them. Any reaction they get justs feeds their ego's and encourages more of the same behaviour.

Who's that trip-trapping over my bridge

"Trolls deliberately set out to cause offense and get a reaction from people, the best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them. Any reaction they get justs feeds their ego's and encourages more of the same behaviour."

Where ever you go forum wise you'll come across the inevitable troll, on this site and some others we use threads get hi jacked by rude and insensitive people who appear to enjoy taking the Jimmy widdle out of genuine questions. Either ignore it or if you've asked a question and got an answer join in the banter!

Can't say I've particularly noticed n there have been quite a few controversial threads recently. At the end of the day if you post to the forums you should expect/respect the other people's oppinions will differ from your own, and some may disagree so intently that they come across as "being a troll" when really they just have a strong opinion on the matter. And this may sound harsh, but if you aren't thick skinned enough to over look a strongly worded opinion, then maybe the forums aren't the place for you.

"Can't say I've particularly noticed n there have been quite a few controversial threads recently. At the end of the day if you post to the forums you should expect/respect the other people's oppinions will differ from your own, and some may disagree so intently that they come across as "being a troll" when really they just have a strong opinion on the matter. And this may sound harsh, but if you aren't thick skinned enough to over look a strongly worded opinion, then maybe the forums aren't the place for you. "

I didn't say I can't overlook them, I tend to stay away from the ones heading in such direction. And I agree sometimes people will disagree.

However if you look above concerns are voiced by a few that this happens. We can't all be wrong?

On any web forum ,regardless of it's nature, there will always be those that are unable to express their opinion through reasoned argument and so resort to personal attack. They in my opinion are the trolls .

A difference of opinion is great and I love a good conversation or debate, but if and when it becomes personal then I lose any respect for the person and so just ignore them.

some people just like to wind others up

I've been a member on the site for quite a while now. However, I've only recently started using the forums. I have myself noticed some provoking posts. My advice would be to ignore them but please bare in mind we do live in a world where people are effected by subject matters and human nature is too respond even when we know it's a no win situation, i.e some peeps won't reason or do not understand factual data and are incorret with their assumption.

"It definitely seems to be on the increase, some people seem to deliberately take the opposite position to the thread, whatever the subject.

You do seem to see the same people passing judgement over and over again, and at times it does look like they are deliberately trying to illicit a response."

Argee

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"I've been reading lots of threads recently, and am becomming concerned with people acting like trolls, and deliberately provoking responses by writing insensitive things.

Has anyone else noticed this? "

No, but then again just lately I can't be arsed to look at more than half a dozen threads.

"On any web forum ,regardless of it's nature, there will always be those that are unable to express their opinion through reasoned argument and so resort to personal attack. They in my opinion are the trolls .

A difference of opinion is great and I love a good conversation or debate, but if and when it becomes personal then I lose any respect for the person and so just ignore them. "

Trolls will always exist, old ones get bored and move on and replaced by new ones etc...

Usually I ignore them. From time to time I may respond in kind if I can be arsed.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

There are some insensitive people on these forums, although I would hesitate to say that they are trolls, as they come across more like people who either can't empathise with others, or people who struggle to write something coherent. I can say that, compared to some forums (forii?) I've belonged to, the 'trolls' on here are complete beginners. We see a couple of insulting posts that are soon pulled by the mods and they move on. Until you've been on /b/ (I don't recommend it!) you've not seen a proper troll.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Here is my honest opinion….

Generally threads like this one (not specifically this one – but like this one) are capable of doing more harm than good.

Let’s face it, the people whose mind-set you would like to change don’t give a shit about threads like this.

However, much like the word ‘timewaster’ being chucked about ( at anyone who doesn’t reply in 15 seconds, who doesn’t agree to meeting at the drop of a trilby , anyone who messages for too long and so on….) when we start to generalise about a negative label, soon enough people start to distort its meaning. You will begin to see just disagreeing to a post labelled as trolling, or not following the status quo as being trolling or even challenging some dumb fuckers ignorance as trolling (if it is the dumb fucker posting in a thread like this whilst they are still sulking) and eventually, simply not being a fluffy suck-up sycophant as being trolling. Soon all and sundry are calling anything they don’t like’ trolling’ and anyone they don’t like a ‘troll’…. just like the way ‘timewaster’ us now used by many.

You see plenty of posts from people feeling upset, miffed or defensive about someone random in pm calling them a timewaster, when it is the last thing they were trying to be…. and then people start to adapt their behaviour to avoid being called a timewaster. It’s not the timewasters who adapt their behaviour though is it… it’s the people being wrongly labelled.

So back to a thread like this…. for a variety of reasons people will contribute and various definitions of a ‘troll’ or ‘troll like’ behaviour will start to appear. Sometimes these are genuine opinions, sometimes they are just really moans because they didn’t like the way someone else replied in a thread 2 weeks ago or whatever. The word ‘troll’ starts getting chucked about like dollar bills at a Vegas strip joint…. all under the safety of a ‘generalisation’ . It becomes an alternative approach to name calling (without needing to use the words cunt, twat or dickhead-moron) where the name caller can keep a higher vantage point on the hill of moral virtue.

Innocent people worry about being negatively labelled…. not all, but some. They believe what they read because they didn’t know any different before reading what others want to call ‘trolling’ in …. a thread like this.

The less confident read threads like this and begin to worry about being labelled if they disagree in a post… not wanting to be unpopular or upset the apple cart…and so don’t post what could have been an interesting and valid point. And ultimately it is the whole forum which loses out.

If you think someone is disagreeing for the sake of it – challenge the rational of their argument constructively in the thread it appears…… don’t wait to run off and from the safety of a generic post label what the other person is doing as ‘trolling’ just because you don’t fucking like it.

No, never noticed it

"Here is my honest opinion….

Generally threads like this one (not specifically this one – but like this one) are capable of doing more harm than good.

Let’s face it, the people whose mind-set you would like to change don’t give a shit about threads like this.

However, much like the word ‘timewaster’ being chucked about ( at anyone who doesn’t reply in 15 seconds, who doesn’t agree to meeting at the drop of a trilby , anyone who messages for too long and so on….) when we start to generalise about a negative label, soon enough people start to distort its meaning. You will begin to see just disagreeing to a post labelled as trolling, or not following the status quo as being trolling or even challenging some dumb fuckers ignorance as trolling (if it is the dumb fucker posting in a thread like this whilst they are still sulking) and eventually, simply not being a fluffy suck-up sycophant as being trolling. Soon all and sundry are calling anything they don’t like’ trolling’ and anyone they don’t like a ‘troll’…. just like the way ‘timewaster’ us now used by many.

You see plenty of posts from people feeling upset, miffed or defensive about someone random in pm calling them a timewaster, when it is the last thing they were trying to be…. and then people start to adapt their behaviour to avoid being called a timewaster. It’s not the timewasters who adapt their behaviour though is it… it’s the people being wrongly labelled.

So back to a thread like this…. for a variety of reasons people will contribute and various definitions of a ‘troll’ or ‘troll like’ behaviour will start to appear. Sometimes these are genuine opinions, sometimes they are just really moans because they didn’t like the way someone else replied in a thread 2 weeks ago or whatever. The word ‘troll’ starts getting chucked about like dollar bills at a Vegas strip joint…. all under the safety of a ‘generalisation’ . It becomes an alternative approach to name calling (without needing to use the words cunt, twat or dickhead-moron) where the name caller can keep a higher vantage point on the hill of moral virtue.

Innocent people worry about being negatively labelled…. not all, but some. They believe what they read because they didn’t know any different before reading what others want to call ‘trolling’ in …. a thread like this.

The less confident read threads like this and begin to worry about being labelled if they disagree in a post… not wanting to be unpopular or upset the apple cart…and so don’t post what could have been an interesting and valid point. And ultimately it is the whole forum which loses out.

If you think someone is disagreeing for the sake of it – challenge the rational of their argument constructively in the thread it appears…… don’t wait to run off and from the safety of a generic post label what the other person is doing as ‘trolling’ just because you don’t fucking like it.

"

i agree

I believe that some trolls are keyboard warriors who adopt a different persona when posting in forum boards such as this, in that they are more egoistic, loud-mouth and opinionated when online, yet they are insecure, lacking in confidence, mousey and tongue-tied in real life away from the security of a keyboard and screen.

I could be wrong, of course.

The reality of these " trolls" is that they are doin this for attention n to provoke a reaction. Now you may have chose to ignore a thread goin this way, but you have felt the need to post this thread n they therefore have won, for they have provoke you to react by creating the tread. At the end of the day just ignore it completely afterall it says more about them than you

"I believe that some trolls are keyboard warriors who adopt a different persona when posting in forum boards such as this, in that they are more egoistic, loud-mouth and opinionated when online, yet they are insecure, lacking in confidence, mousey and tongue-tied in real life away from the security of a keyboard and screen.

I could be wrong, of course.

"

Well said...and i find it a cowardly way to insult people.

just an easy way to seek attention, some people just seem to get a kick out of causing a reaction

obviously not getting their kicks elsewhere

I don't have issues with people disagreeing with me on my personal _iews and opinions.

However, I do have an issue with them when they insist their _iews and opinions are more valid than mine.

It depends how the person reading the post interprets the content.

If the person is in a negative mood, then it may read like its a negative statement and vice versa.

A joke between people who know each other (commonly refered to as a clique) can be seen as they are trolling on a thread, instead of it being seen as harmless banter.

I haven't seen any harmful trolling on here compared to other sites out there.

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"I have been here nearly 3 yrs, to be honest, it was even worse then "

Took the words right out of my mouth....

I think real trolls (rather than people who just have a differing opinion) are few and far between these days to be honest.

I used to have a troll with red hair! Are they still around then?

By *uggers nemesisCouple  over a year ago

london

"I sadly havent notcied this but I do know that when someone is genuinely asking for advice some people feel the need to make the thread into a joke and sometimes be just a little rude babe. I know there are little clicks in the forums and sadly im not in a click so i never know if said people take offence.

It can ruin the forums sometimes."

We are relatively new to using the forums but it only took a few days to realize how clique they are

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I've been reading lots of threads recently, and am becomming concerned with people acting like trolls, and deliberately provoking responses by writing insensitive things.

I agree with all of Polo's post.

What is the point of this post if it is not to provoke a reaction/response?

People in glass houses etc......

King's Crustacean

"I used to have a troll with red hair! Are they still around then?"

Yup ... they are. Even Zanier now tho

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

it's all just a load of pish....

King's Crustacean

Ooooo you look nice my little blue troll xx

You been smurfing ?

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"Ooooo you look nice my little blue troll xx

You been smurfing ? "

no walking the beach and chilling.

feeling very chilled xx

london

People in glass houses etc...... "

Surely the point of every post is to provoke a reaction or response

The purpose was merely to get and idea of how people feel. To say people in glass houses is not correct, as I am not trolling here, nor have I trolled on this site. Your statement would suggest that is what I do.

I still feel there is more of this behavior occurring and this believe is evident in the number of threads being being closed due to personal abuse or insensitive subjects.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

[Removed by poster at 22/09/12 17:25:03]

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

sometimes I do wonder at the use of the word troll on here. now I really understand on the internet where people have wished others dead, posted on sites offensive cruel things to parents of a murdered child and the foulest things imaginable...

on here it is used when people debate what BBW means, are bi guys a higher sexual risk or the pros and cons of bareback...

often an over reaction in my opinion.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

I still feel there is more of this behavior occurring and this believe is evident in the number of threads being being closed due to personal abuse or insensitive subjects. "

Out of the last threads the two most active mods have been on in the last three or four days, only one as far as I know has been shut...and that was just a pic rejection query that Admin and mods shut once the advice is given.

There has been a couple of threads taken off in the last week, but contrary to popular belief, there isn't loads of threads being shut or taken down.

King's Crustacean

People in glass houses etc......

Surely the point of every post is to provoke a reaction or response "

I'd agree with that.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Surely the point of every post is to provoke a reaction or response "

up to a point it is.... but i do believe there is a difference in some people saying what they genuinely believe, and people same some things for effect or a spat...

and that is the difficultly at time trying to distinguish between them... and up to a point that is where past writings come in handy....

King's Crustacean

"The purpose was merely to get and idea of how people feel. To say people in glass houses is not correct, as I am not trolling here, nor have I trolled on this site. Your statement would suggest that is what I do.

I still feel there is more of this behavior occurring and this believe is evident in the number of threads being being closed due to personal abuse or insensitive subjects. "

Trolling seems to be quite a subjective term if the various ways in which it is used are to go by.

Certainly in terms of 'going off topic' or 'deliberately setting out to offend or injure.' this thread isn't trolling.

If the definition of ' the anti-social act of causing of interpersonal conflict and shock-value controversy online.' is applied.. then it is.

King's Crustacean

What are 'past writings' _abio ?

"The purpose was merely to get and idea of how people feel. To say people in glass houses is not correct, as I am not trolling here, nor have I trolled on this site. Your statement would suggest that is what I do.

I still feel there is more of this behavior occurring and this believe is evident in the number of threads being being closed due to personal abuse or insensitive subjects.

Trolling seems to be quite a subjective term if the various ways in which it is used are to go by.

Certainly in terms of 'going off topic' or 'deliberately setting out to offend or injure.' this thread isn't trolling.

If the definition of ' the anti-social act of causing of interpersonal conflict and shock-value controversy online.' is applied.. then it is. "

Trolling on this site would be defined as any user deliberately setting out to personally abuse and upset another user. Also belittling someone, or posting comments that would offend the majority.

Hijacking a thread goes with the territory and is widely accepted, as is banter.

It is an increase in the first example I gave that is apparent. As I hasve said before in this thread a number of people agree it happens, and they can't all be wrong. Just because you or anyone else disagree with me doesn't make you right.

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

"I think the forums have definitely changed since I first started using them.

Nowadays there seems to be too many people eager to jump on something and abuse posters.

"

Yep...

The Welsh forum is a fine example..post a thread about anything other than swinging and the self styles forum police are there slagging you off..'this is a swinging site' blah de blah..

So thats 6 threads about dogging, arranging a gang bang, 'the social', time wasters, bear backing, and viagra...no need for anything else then..

Cant say I have noticed many trolls..but I do notice the divide in attention between a newbie and one of the in crowd..

A newbie posts something about being let down and the get a dozen replies in the style of 'tough' 'move on' 'deal with it' 'stop moaning' etc..

A member of the 'clique' gets a 100 post tea and sympathy thread..or their comments on a subject ignored while people pick up on exactly the same comments from people who they are familiar with..(loads of personal experience of this, even after two years!)

But in the main these forums are great..lots of lovely people and brilliant threads..

I think the introductions page should be scrapped and a strap line like 'come and introduce yourselves here and meet the locals' be added to the LOUNGE thread heading..

It might make it easier for newbies and regulars alike..

The introductions forum is a pointless un-moderated one anyway...last time I looked there were 6 actual people saying hello..(who either get ignored or about 3 responses on average) and 30 odd threads that belonged somewhere else..

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 22/09/12 17:55:05]

King's Crustacean

If the definition of ' the anti-social act of causing of interpersonal conflict and shock-value controversy online.' is applied.. then it is.

Trolling on this site would be defined as any user deliberately setting out to personally abuse and upset another user. Also belittling someone, or posting comments that would offend the majority.

Hijacking a thread goes with the territory and is widely accepted, as is banter.

It is an increase in the first example I gave that is apparent. As I hasve said before in this thread a number of people agree it happens, and they can't all be wrong. Just because you or anyone else disagree with me doesn't make you right. "

No more needs adding after a reply like that.

Over n Out.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Wish someone would define clique. That word gets thrown around more than anything. Well except BBW of course

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"Wish someone would define clique. That word gets thrown around more than anything. Well except BBW of course"

Oh nooooo. Not the 'c' word!!

Thats the 6 letter one, not the 4....

"What are 'past writings' _abio ?"

Not meaning to speak for someone, and could be wrong of course, but I think Fabio is saying you can't judge a poster on just one post? If they are usually friendly and pleasant then one post dosn't make them a troll.

So their past writings give a clearer picture of their overall intentions

...maybe

london

"What are 'past writings' _abio ?

Not meaning to speak for someone, and could be wrong of course, but I think Fabio is saying you can't judge a poster on just one post? If they are usually friendly and pleasant then one post dosn't make them a troll.

So their past writings give a clearer picture of their overall intentions

...maybe "

Very well said,and im sure _abio would agree

"Wish someone would define clique. That word gets thrown around more than anything. Well except BBW of course"

Contrary to popular belief (or am I just posting something that is the polar opposite of what the majority think, ergo I'm trolling), there is no such thing as a clique.

There are groups of people who graviate to each other due to a past history of either meeting personally or posting on each other threads and forming an online friendship. When a newcomer tries to join in and gets too personal too quickly they find themselves shut out and thus form an opinion that there must be a clique, of which they don't belong.

It is much the same as a group of people in a social setting having a chat and a laugh and a complete stranger tries to join in with them without first introducing him/herself and gradually joining the conversation but careful not to get too friendly too quickly.

It isn't that there is a clique, it is that those on the outside looking in are wanting to be on the inside looking out and grow increasingly frustrated when entry is denied, and that leads to them trying to find a justification for not being included. It is then they use the word 'clique'.

In Your Bush

I think that is a very good description

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

It is an increase in the first example I gave that is apparent. As I hasve said before in this thread a number of people agree it happens, and they can't all be wrong. Just because you or anyone else disagree with me doesn't make you right. "

so all of the people who agree with you are right,and all of the people who disagree with you are wrong.

well that'll be that then.

do you consider this post trolling,for pointing out the discrepancy in your argument.

It is an increase in the first example I gave that is apparent. As I hasve said before in this thread a number of people agree it happens, and they can't all be wrong. Just because you or anyone else disagree with me doesn't make you right.

so all of the people who agree with you are right,and all of the people who disagree with you are wrong.

well that'll be that then.

do you consider this post trolling,for pointing out the discrepancy in your argument. "

No I didn't say that. I said that just because the poster did not agree that they ate not automatically right. This is. Thread where people will have different opinions. But some feel that everything they say has to be right with ground given. If you look over the thread you will see what I have defined as trolling and the people agree with that. I was just stating that their disbelief doesn't lead them to automatically be right.

My aim was to canvass an opinion, of which I have many. Not all the same as mine. In this topic there is no right or wrong answer.

This thread is not trolling, it does not attack anyone personally, nor has anyone been belittled. It is not taboo and not causing anyone that I am aware of any upset. If it does cause upset in any way feel free to alert me to it, as it not my intention. I would happily listen to their concerns and enter a discussion.

I hope this clarifies my position.

london

"Wish someone would define clique. That word gets thrown around more than anything. Well except BBW of course

Contrary to popular belief (or am I just posting something that is the polar opposite of what the majority think, ergo I'm trolling), there is no such thing as a clique.

There are groups of people who graviate to each other due to a past history of either meeting personally or posting on each other threads and forming an online friendship. When a newcomer tries to join in and gets too personal too quickly they find themselves shut out and thus form an opinion that there must be a clique, of which they don't belong.

It is much the same as a group of people in a social setting having a chat and a laugh and a complete stranger tries to join in with them without first introducing him/herself and gradually joining the conversation but careful not to get too friendly too quickly.

It isn't that there is a clique, it is that those on the outside looking in are wanting to be on the inside looking out and grow increasingly frustrated when entry is denied, and that leads to them trying to find a justification for not being included. It is then they use the word 'clique'."

I must disagree with this opinion.

Cliques exist everywhere within society,a clique is a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons, especially one held together by common interests,_iews or purposes.

I work as a doorman in several pubs and clubs in london,and in each and every one of them there is a 'clique',a group of people who believe that because it is their pub or local then that gives them the right to be hostile to outsiders,regardless of how the outsiders approach the situation.I also dont believe that its a case of people wanting to be in the 'clique' looking out,as it was put.I do believe that the cliques here within fab are very obvious and easy to spot.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

Why are you concerned? Z

Why are you concerned? Z"

Because trolling is not nice, and its not good to see somewhere I like being, changing for what some would say is the worse.

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

Why are you concerned? Z

Because trolling is not nice, and its not good to see somewhere I like being, changing for what some would say is the worse. "

Fair enough, the mods do a great job and in all the years that we've been here there isn't much trouble, haven't been in the forums much recently but I wouldn't be concerned about such a trivial thing anyway. Z

We've always thought the chat rooms and the forum are quite cliquey but that's inevitable if people get to know each other either by being in here a lot. Can't say it's bothered us and on the couple of posts we asked for advice we received plenty.... although having said that one of those threads did then get hijacked by a couple of people having a personal spat so maybe not the best example Although maybe it is insofar as ignoring the idiots and appreciating the rest.

Why are you concerned? Z

Because trolling is not nice, and its not good to see somewhere I like being, changing for what some would say is the worse.

Fair enough, the mods do a great job and in all the years that we've been here there isn't much trouble, haven't been in the forums much recently but I wouldn't be concerned about such a trivial thing anyway. Z"

I agree the mods do a fantastic job, and this was not aimed them or anyone. It was a canvassing of opinion. With no right or wrong answer.

In Your Bush

"Wish someone would define clique. That word gets thrown around more than anything. Well except BBW of course

It isn't that there is a clique, it is that those on the outside looking in are wanting to be on the inside looking out and grow increasingly frustrated when entry is denied, and that leads to them trying to find a justification for not being included. It is then they use the word 'clique'.

Cliques exist everywhere within society,a clique is a narrow exclusive circle or group of persons, especially one held together by common interests,_iews or purposes.

I work as a doorman in several pubs and clubs in london,and in each and every one of them there is a 'clique',a group of people who believe that because it is their pub or local then that gives them the right to be hostile to outsiders,regardless of how the outsiders approach the situation.I also dont believe that its a case of people wanting to be in the 'clique' looking out,as it was put.I do believe that the cliques here within fab are very obvious and easy to spot."

Are you saying these "cliques " in the forum gang up on people?

I don't deny there are certain people that don't often post unless they are sniping at people. However, I can't say I have noticed a group doing this !

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

i think cliques and trolls are seperate entities

sometimes even an old stalwort like me gets put off posting by the love-ins and 'banter' on sme threads but i dont call that trolling.

what is trolling is someone who doesnt even attempt to answer the OP and who just makes a personal remark about someone on the thread, trawling their profile for something little to call them out on etc.

london

I work as a doorman in several pubs and clubs in london,and in each and every one of them there is a 'clique',a group of people who believe that because it is their pub or local then that gives them the right to be hostile to outsiders,regardless of how the outsiders approach the situation.I also dont believe that its a case of people wanting to be in the 'clique' looking out,as it was put.I do believe that the cliques here within fab are very obvious and easy to spot.

Are you saying these "cliques " in the forum gang up on people?

I don't deny there are certain people that don't often post unless they are sniping at people. However, I can't say I have noticed a group doing this !"

No i am not saying these cliques gang up on people,just pointing out that cliques do exist on here as they do everywhere

I have noticed the same people usually crop up on various threads and they have nothing good to say. I don't mean people that disagree. Banter is great and there can't be banter without people disagreeing. I mean when people say something downright rude and uncalled for.

It does get my back up sometimes because I don't like to see people getting bullied. I stick up for people when I feel strongly enough.

I think there is a definite difference between people having different opinions, and those that are rude to just to get a rise out of people.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

swinging should be an add on to your life, not your life and it usually gets nasty when people take it or themselves way too seriously.

the forums are completely different to a year ago and will be again in a years time... personalities come and go, friendships come and go and the people aggrieved come and go and come back to have a go......

it's a game..

"I have noticed the same people usually crop up on various threads and they have nothing good to say. I don't mean people that disagree. Banter is great and there can't be banter without people disagreeing. I mean when people say something downright rude and uncalled for.

It does get my back up sometimes because I don't like to see people getting bullied. I stick up for people when I feel strongly enough.

I think there is a definite difference between people having different opinions, and those that are rude to just to get a rise out of people. "

I do agree with this. There are posts where the sole aim is to take the rise out of the poster. There are childish private messages that go back and forth talking about some bugger on the forum and cryptic threads started. There are people who bully those who may have a gentler personality. I can't stand bullying and tend to challenge it regardless of the fact its not aimed at me, because I feel we should all work together to stop bitchy, personal and jealous comments and encourage discussion and banter

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

one of the biggest learning I have had on these forums is when I see a post and think 'are they having a pop at me'..... i log off and then come back later and look again and then think ' , no they weren't'.

funny how things read differently a few hours later

london

"I have noticed the same people usually crop up on various threads and they have nothing good to say. I don't mean people that disagree. Banter is great and there can't be banter without people disagreeing. I mean when people say something downright rude and uncalled for.

I think there is a definite difference between people having different opinions, and those that are rude to just to get a rise out of people.

I do agree with this. There are posts where the sole aim is to take the rise out of the poster. There are childish private messages that go back and forth talking about some bugger on the forum and cryptic threads started. There are people who bully those who may have a gentler personality. I can't stand bullying and tend to challenge it regardless of the fact its not aimed at me, because I feel we should all work together to stop bitchy, personal and jealous comments and encourage discussion and banter "

excellently put,i completely agree with this

King's Crustacean

"On any web forum ,regardless of it's nature, there will always be those that are unable to express their opinion through reasoned argument and so resort to personal attack. They in my opinion are the trolls .

A difference of opinion is great and I love a good conversation or debate, but if and when it becomes personal then I lose any respect for the person and so just ignore them. "

Couldn't agree more

hehehe, on the first night I think I will have a wee nose, see if the place has calmed down, possibly friendlier, and low n behold lol. Stick with it chick and the ones you feel do this behaviour repeatedly, or offend you - you can report, or indeed ignore. I have heard the term 'keyboard warriors' on here, but never 'troll' before. Did giggle at many of the messages on this thread saying it does not exist!! Haha, funny sh*t!

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"one of the biggest learning I have had on these forums is when I see a post and think 'are they having a pop at me'..... i log off and then come back later and look again and then think ' , no they weren't'.

funny how things read differently a few hours later"

stop making sense,your spoiling it for the rest of us.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Everyone is entitled to hold a _iew on a given subject even if it's contrary to the opening poster or subsequent posters. It doesn't neccessarily make them a troll unless they post insensitive things designed to deliberately inflame, although that in itself is difficult to differentiate between deliberately causing offence or causing offence because of one's _iew."

Agree.

Sometimes people start threads to illicit a certain response i.e. couples slagging off single men. Other couples then jump on the bandwagon adding their negative thoughts.

If you post you only meet single men and not met a bad one, however you avoid couples like the plague some see that as trolling.

Some people seem to think if you have a differing _iew from the op, you're trolling!

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Here is my honest opinion….

"

Exactly!

By *onnoisseur100Man  over a year ago

Woking-ish

"Who's that trip-trapping over my bridge "

Me....... what are you going to do about it?

» Add a new message to this topic