FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > i'm ashamed!

i'm ashamed!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *els_Bells OP   Woman  over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

The bulb has just blown on the landing, and I have no idea how to change it.

I have never changed a bulb in my life, so dont know if its a twisty or pully one.

Just felt the need to share my embarassment from in the dark

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

Sort it tomorrow when it's light. In the meantime, use a torch (or the light on your phone) to light yourself to bed

By *r Stagger LeeMan  over a year ago

torquay

don't be ashamed, i had a bulb go three months ago and still havn't changed it.

whilst i still i have one out of two lights working it's fine plus good for the enviroment.

I'll use my phone (good thinking batwoman aka emm) but never had the light off all night for my little one, so hope he doesnt wake up.

Will look in the morning and ring my dad to ask lol

Will get told off for not knowing how to change a bulb though lol

By *uckscouple2007Couple  over a year ago

Bucks

this will shortly spring new "...... to change a light bulb" jokes

good luck on yr new life skills from yr father

"this will shortly spring new "...... to change a light bulb" jokes

good luck on yr new life skills from yr father "

Lol dont want jokes, just how to change a light bulb!

I know my dad will be rolling his eyes at me down the phone

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS  over a year ago

Cheadle

stop press.........bulb changing tranny offers damsel in distress help with domestic catastrophe......

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Gently push the bulb upwards (ie towards the ceiling/fitting). If it "gives" a little, it's a twist fitting if not, it's a screw fitting.

If a twist fitting, push gently and turn counter clockwise a quater of a turn or so and it'll come out.

If it's a screw fitting (ie it doesn't "give" when you push it) stop pushing and simply unscrew it a few turns and it'll come out.

Tbh most ceiling lights are a twist fitting.

"stop press.........bulb changing tranny offers damsel in distress help with domestic catastrophe...... "

Yay!

Thanks Ruby! My address is.... Lol xxx

"Gently push the bulb upwards (ie towards the ceiling/fitting). If it "gives" a little, it's a twist fitting if not, it's a screw fitting.

If a twist fitting, push gently and turn counter clockwise a quater of a turn or so and it'll come out.

If it's a screw fitting (ie it doesn't "give" when you push it) stop pushing and simply unscrew it a few turns and it'll come out.

Tbh most ceiling lights are a twist fitting. "

what if it breaks in my hand though??

Thats what im scared of, oh that an getting electrocuted

That's why I said gently

And I should have mentioned, turn the light off first. That'll save you being electrocuted and save you from pooing yourself when you screw the new bulb in and it lights up 6 inches from your face

Cheadle

"stop press.........bulb changing tranny offers damsel in distress help with domestic catastrophe......

Yay!

Thanks Ruby! My address is.... Lol xxx"

hehehehe, well I wouldn't expect to do it telepathically hunny bun, lol, xxx

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Just make sure you've turned the switch off. If you don't know which was the switch should be to be 'off', turn the power off at the mains.

You can grab a bulb (so long as the power is off) by the metal base so you don't risk the glass breaking.

Good luck x

"stop press.........bulb changing tranny offers damsel in distress help with domestic catastrophe......

Yay!

hehehehe, well I wouldn't expect to do it telepathically hunny bun, lol, xxx "

Of course not you can be a maid while youre here too if you like lol xxxx

"That's why I said gently

And I should have mentioned, turn the light off first. That'll save you being electrocuted and save you from pooing yourself when you screw the new bulb in and it lights up 6 inches from your face "

Ffs im scared now lol

"Just make sure you've turned the switch off. If you don't know which was the switch should be to be 'off', turn the power off at the mains.

You can grab a bulb (so long as the power is off) by the metal base so you don't risk the glass breaking.

Good luck x"

Thank you. Will look in the morning.

If Im not logged in tomorrow, I will be attached to the fitting on the landing with my hair stood on end lol x

Spain, Lancs

or wear rubber-soled shoes x

Cheadle

Yay!

Of course not you can be a maid while youre here too if you like lol xxxx"

Now that is spooky!!!! I have my maids outfit ironed and ready for wearing, would you like the carpets cleaned and the silver polished too m'lady????

But seriously, grab hold of the bulb with one hand, the holder with the other, and see if you can push the bulb up and twist it to the left, if it comes out it's an old fashioned pin type, otherwise just unscrew it hun, x

"or wear rubber-soled shoes x"

What kinda girl do you take me for?? Rubber soled shoes! How rude x

Lol you'll be fine, honesly. I have actually tested (by using a very heavy leather gaunlet) just how much it takes to break a bulb and to put it simply, you won't break one.

As for turning the switch off, you won't electrocute yourself if the bulb has simply blown. The "live" parts are inside the glass so unless you break it (as previously mentioned, highly unlikely) so it's just the fact of the light coming back on as you screw the new bulb back in. It's really not a biggie, you'll be fine :o)

Yay!

Now that is spooky!!!! I have my maids outfit ironed and ready for wearing, would you like the carpets cleaned and the silver polished too m'lady????

But seriously, grab hold of the bulb with one hand, the holder with the other, and see if you can push the bulb up and twist it to the left, if it comes out it's an old fashioned pin type, otherwise just unscrew it hun, x"

Lol I have seen how keen you are to be a maid n other posts, and. Could do with one as well

Will give it a good go tomorrow and thanks Ruby, hopefully meet you on the 29th if Im still alive lol x

"Lol you'll be fine, honesly. I have actually tested (by using a very heavy leather gaunlet) just how much it takes to break a bulb and to put it simply, you won't break one.

As for turning the switch off, you won't electrocute yourself if the bulb has simply blown. The "live" parts are inside the glass so unless you break it (as previously mentioned, highly unlikely) so it's just the fact of the light coming back on as you screw the new bulb back in. It's really not a biggie, you'll be fine :o)"

Ok, I'll go in for it in the morning. Cover me!

Cheadle

Yay!

But seriously, grab hold of the bulb with one hand, the holder with the other, and see if you can push the bulb up and twist it to the left, if it comes out it's an old fashioned pin type, otherwise just unscrew it hun, x

Lol I have seen how keen you are to be a maid n other posts, and. Could do with one as well

Will give it a good go tomorrow and thanks Ruby, hopefully meet you on the 29th if Im still alive lol x"

Oh fantastic, I will be there with a spare candle for you sugar plum, mwah, sleep tight, xxxxx

Spain, Lancs

Lucky Ruby. Now that's where I've been going wrong

you'll be fine

have changed many a lightbulb when i didn't realise the power was still on, only to find out its on when the new bulb goes in the lights up lol

you'll be fine

if in doubt, just turn mains off and then do it

Just have a little belief in yourself, it's not a difficult thing to do and you can do it :o)

I am amazed that at 30 year old cant change a light bulb! Can you fill the car with petrol? Thats harder lol

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

Hel

There are always things that have never cropped up in life that we learn to do helpful link to help

Electrical Safety Council

www.esc.org.uk/

The Electrical Safety Council is a UK charity that provides electricity safety advice for the home.

Hope this helps and stay safe

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"I am amazed that at 30 year old cant change a light bulb! Can you fill the car with petrol? Thats harder lol "

What I want to know is where she bought a lightbulb that lasted so long.

To turn the mains off if you're that worried, look at your consumer unit and all the switch should be labelled. Look for the other that indicates the lighting circuit your blown bulb is on (upstairs lights, downstairs lights etc) and turn that one off. That isolates the supply to the lights and then turn and unscrew, or push and untwist as mentioned by other posters. Most single fitting lampholders are twist and fit type, whereas the multibulb chandeliers are usually screw-fit type.

Do you like frazzles?

dudley

"To turn the mains off if you're that worried, look at your consumer unit and all the switch should be labelled. Look for the other that indicates the lighting circuit your blown bulb is on (upstairs lights, downstairs lights etc) and turn that one off. That isolates the supply to the lights and then turn and unscrew, or push and untwist as mentioned by other posters. Most single fitting lampholders are twist and fit type, whereas the multibulb chandeliers are usually screw-fit type.

Do you like frazzles? "

So what do you do if its on first floor landing with the possibility of a shared neutral. Best practice is to turn all lighting circuits off

So you should be ashamed of yourself ! Tut tut can't change a lightbulb !!! Shocking well hopefully not ! Best leave it get your old man to do it !

I always use a dry teatowel when changing bulbs... Stops me getting blinded when it lights up because Ive not turned them off at the switch...;-)

"I always use a dry teatowel when changing bulbs... Stops me getting blinded when it lights up because Ive not turned them off at the switch...;-)"

That would be my suggestion too or if still to scared rubber gloves (marigolds will b fine)

[Removed by poster at 21/09/12 08:54:55]

"To turn the mains off if you're that worried, look at your consumer unit and all the switch should be labelled. Look for the other that indicates the lighting circuit your blown bulb is on (upstairs lights, downstairs lights etc) and turn that one off. That isolates the supply to the lights and then turn and unscrew, or push and untwist as mentioned by other posters. Most single fitting lampholders are twist and fit type, whereas the multibulb chandeliers are usually screw-fit type.

Do you like frazzles?

So what do you do if its on first floor landing with the possibility of a shared neutral. Best practice is to turn all lighting circuits off "

I didn't want to confuse her even more lol, but yes, you're quite right. If the 'sparky' that wired it was lazy and only put a twin & earth strapper between the switches and looped the commons, instead of using a triple & earth strapper, then yes, she'd need to turn off both circuits.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

No-one has mention ..... if you have to stand on something to reach the bulb make sure it`s safe to stand on first! No over-reaching, do it one step at the time - climb up and remove dud bulb - get down - pick up new bulb and climb up to fit it! Don`t try climbing up with the new bulb before taking the old one out! We need all the lovely single ladies we can on here! Last thing we want is to end up sending you to casualty!

[Removed by poster at 21/09/12 09:09:09]

"No-one has mention ..... if you have to stand on something to reach the bulb make sure it`s safe to stand on first! No over-reaching, do it one step at the time - climb up and remove dud bulb - get down - pick up new bulb and climb up to fit it! Don`t try climbing up with the new bulb before taking the old one out! We need all the lovely single ladies we can on here! Last thing we want is to end up sending you to casualty!"

A mouth isn't just for sucking cock you know. You put the new bulb between your lips and exchange it for the old one. It saves knee wear and tear going up and down ladders too!

By *mileydragonWoman  over a year ago

in the stix

"That's why I said gently

And I should have mentioned, turn the light off first. That'll save you being electrocuted and save you from pooing yourself when you screw the new bulb in and it lights up 6 inches from your face "

PMSL ... this made me laugh it really 'brightened' up my day!!! lol

By *mileydragonWoman  over a year ago

in the stix

"No-one has mention ..... if you have to stand on something to reach the bulb make sure it`s safe to stand on first! No over-reaching, do it one step at the time - climb up and remove dud bulb - get down - pick up new bulb and climb up to fit it! Don`t try climbing up with the new bulb before taking the old one out! We need all the lovely single ladies we can on here! Last thing we want is to end up sending you to casualty!"

I wonder if you work for HSE?!!! lol I want an ever lasting lightbulb. They must be out there, and saves calling out a sparkie to change one everytime it needs to be changed! lol

I'm alive!!!

thanks for all the advice. I turned the mains off, used a ladder and an oven glove and twisted.

whoop, we have light lol

the reason I have never changed a bulb is that the person who normally does it has been away, and putting petrol in a car isnt going to make my hair stand on end, it may burn it all off if I pour it over me, but least I can smell petrol unlike electricity

Just the most ideal excuse to invite round a horny neighbour!

"Just the most ideal excuse to invite round a horny neighbour! "

They're all old round here couldnt have an old dear up a ladder, however did get a couple of offers in pm lol

gotta love fab!

By *riskygazMan  over a year ago

birmingham

if you had been closer i would have been happy to pop round to do a bit of pressing and twisting hehe, dont be scared just press up gently and twist to the left they normaly come out ded easy,

dudley

"No-one has mention ..... if you have to stand on something to reach the bulb make sure it`s safe to stand on first! No over-reaching, do it one step at the time - climb up and remove dud bulb - get down - pick up new bulb and climb up to fit it! Don`t try climbing up with the new bulb before taking the old one out! We need all the lovely single ladies we can on here! Last thing we want is to end up sending you to casualty!

I wonder if you work for HSE?!!! lol I want an ever lasting lightbulb. They must be out there, and saves calling out a sparkie to change one everytime it needs to be changed! lol "

They do exist think it osram that own the rights and for some strange reason never put on market

[Removed by poster at 21/09/12 17:40:24]

" You put the new bulb between your lips and exchange it for the old one. It saves knee wear and tear going up and down ladders too! "

Magic Wishy... Ya the first to suggest that she should go commando to change a lightbulb...

» Add a new message to this topic