FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Political Correctness - Good or Bad?

Political Correctness - Good or Bad?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Has it helped to improve our society or made things worse.

(Hope we can keep the debate based on fact or reality rather that urban myths).

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

Its improved some things but its been taken way too far where its now bordering on the ridiculous

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Overall excellent

interpreted & acted upon wrongly on occasion is very sad

By *uyuksno1Man  over a year ago

poole

like health and saftey its all gone over the top mad

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"Its improved some things but its been taken way too far where its now bordering on the ridiculous "

I don't agree that it is bordering on the ridiculous any more. I think we went through that phase and have matured with it to some extent. I am not PC in all things and some of the old school look at me askance and berate me sometimes but it was a necessary phase of development.

I am proud that I can walk into nearly every school now and find children who are shocked that playground bullying on race and gender used to be common. There is still some way to go to get the balance on 'gay' as a term of playground abuse and so some PC teaching and behaviour is still needed.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Its improved some things but its been taken way too far where its now bordering on the ridiculous "

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

Sorry what I meant to say was ....some things are bordering on the ridiculous.....mostly tho I fully agree with it and has improved society no end

Political correctness has no place in a society that promotes freedom of speech and the freedom to choose how you live your life.

It's a contradiction.

If I call you black Mr PC will say no he is colored, but which do you prefur?

I worked with a black chef and a customer complemented him on his cooking, saying "the colored guy is a really good cook", to which the chef answered "do I look like a rainbow, I'm black not colored.

We don't need to be told what we can call eachother or what we can say, if I say something that offends you then you can tell me, I don't need Mr PC to tell me what someone they no nothing about will find offensive as everyone is different and we can think for ourselves.

Forum Mod

I think that sometimes people are trying so hard not to offend that it can actually become offensive to the people they're trying not to offend if that makes any sort of sense

I do agree that overall political correctness used sensibly is a good thing,I know you said not to mention urban myths but its those myths that cause the problems and make people think that the whole PC thing is utterly ridiculous

Myths are always far more interesting and debatable than the truth for some people so will always keep chugging along in the background

"I think that sometimes people are trying so hard not to offend that it can actually become offensive to the people they're trying not to offend if that makes any sort of sense

I do agree that overall political correctness used sensibly is a good thing,I know you said not to mention urban myths but its those myths that cause the problems and make people think that the whole PC thing is utterly ridiculous

Myths are always far more interesting and debatable than the truth for some people so will always keep chugging along in the background "

I agree on all points.

i think there is no place for PC in todays world, i believe it is now making people over sensitive and a bunch of cry babies... so someone said something nasty.. suck it up, dry yer eyes and move on! i would hate to be crippled by others small mindedness and negative _iews! (cum) X

"Political correctness has no place in a society that promotes freedom of speech and the freedom to choose how you live your life.

It's a contradiction.

If I call you black Mr PC will say no he is colored, but which do you prefur?

I worked with a black chef and a customer complemented him on his cooking, saying "the colored guy is a really good cook", to which the chef answered "do I look like a rainbow, I'm black not colored.

We don't need to be told what we can call eachother or what we can say, if I say something that offends you then you can tell me, I don't need Mr PC to tell me what someone they no nothing about will find offensive as everyone is different and we can think for ourselves.

"

History, language, the politics and experiences of your youth often shape which term you will use. For many of us coloured is a reminder of the categorisations used in Apartheid South Africa. I call myself black but I have been told by an Afro Caribbean that I devalue the term because I use it.

People can think for themselves but they don't always exercise that facility.

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"I think that sometimes people are trying so hard not to offend that it can actually become offensive to the people they're trying not to offend if that makes any sort of sense

Myths are always far more interesting and debatable than the truth for some people so will always keep chugging along in the background "

Would you not think that common sense on alot of matters would be better than trying force PC onto people

"Has it helped to improve our society or made things worse.

(Hope we can keep the debate based on fact or reality rather that urban myths). "

It has been overdone ocassionally by the usual dull "jobsworths" in positions of control but it has been a good thing (i was really anti it back in the day). I still find it funny though that 20 years and more later large sections of society still equate outdated attitudes as being solely / largely held by male heterosexual caucasians while every other group seems to get a "pass".

Have learned over the years that the "nasty" gene is fairly evenly distributed.

It has been overdone ocassionally by the usual dull "jobsworths" in positions of control but it has been a good thing (i was really anti it back in the day). I still find it funny though that 20 years and more later large sections of society still equate outdated attitudes as being solely / largely held by male heterosexual caucasians while every other group seems to get a "pass".

Have learned over the years that the "nasty" gene is fairly evenly distributed."

I agree with that last sentiment. I am not popular when I raise black on black racism and the language used.

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

"like health and saftey its all gone over the top mad"

Health and safety is usually down to over zealous people, poor interpretation of regulations by individuals and a response to the claims culture/arse covering

dudley

"like health and saftey its all gone over the top mad

Health and safety is usually down to over zealous people, poor interpretation of regulations by individuals and a response to the claims culture/arse covering "

Everything seems to be ACE now arse covering exercise. Not always a bad thing when kept under control

Forum Mod

Myths are always far more interesting and debatable than the truth for some people so will always keep chugging along in the background

Would you not think that common sense on alot of matters would be better than trying force PC onto people"

Not everyone is blessed with common sense though

dudley

Would you not think that common sense on alot of matters would be better than trying force PC onto people

Not everyone is blessed with common sense though "

That is very true

I agree on all points."

So do I. Very well said.

I think we shouldn't be afraid to speak plainly, but we should remember to be impartial and understanding of others feelings.

However a lot of people see political correctness as just not being allowed to be vocally racist or bigoted, which should clearly never be tolerated.

Political correctness for me is simply about one thing, awareness.

Nothing else.

"Political correctness has no place in a society that promotes freedom of speech and the freedom to choose how you live your life.

It's a contradiction.

"

Do you also believe that educating people with basic good manners and common courtesy are also a contradiction in a 'free' society?

It's a contradiction.

Do you also believe that educating people with basic good manners and common courtesy are also a contradiction in a 'free' society?"

if people had better manners there would be no need for PC

It's a contradiction.

Do you also believe that educating people with basic good manners and common courtesy are also a contradiction in a 'free' society?"

Educating is fine, force feeding political correctness or any _iew for that matter is not.

You should not force things on people you should only guide them.

It's a contradiction.

Do you also believe that educating people with basic good manners and common courtesy are also a contradiction in a 'free' society?

if people had better manners there would be no need for PC"

if people were not needy and pathetic they would not be so easily offended

It's a contradiction.

Educating is fine, force feeding political correctness or any _iew for that matter is not.

"

For clarity are you therefore saying 'guided' political correctness does have a place in our society? Is your problem just with the way it has been implemented?

Forum Mod

It's a contradiction.

if people were not needy and pathetic they would not be so easily offended "

Wow! so expecting to be treated with respect and manners is being needy and pathetic? Do you really believe that or is it just a knee jerk reaction to what you think of political correctness?

dudley

"I think we shouldn't be afraid to speak plainly, but we should remember to be impartial and understanding of others feelings.

However a lot of people see political correctness as just not being allowed to be vocally racist or bigoted, which should clearly never be tolerated."

(Hope we can keep the debate based on fact or reality rather that urban myths). "

Political Correctness. This, like the terms 'racist' and 'prejudice' is a term which is bandied about by a lot of people who wouldn't be able to define it if asked. so if you are going to ask such a question, don't you think you should define the term first?

"I think we shouldn't be afraid to speak plainly, but we should remember to be impartial and understanding of others feelings.

However a lot of people see political correctness as just not being allowed to be vocally racist or bigoted, which should clearly never be tolerated. "

Bigoted-another ill-defined term. What do you mean by this?

It's a contradiction.

if people were not needy and pathetic they would not be so easily offended

Wow! so expecting to be treated with respect and manners is being needy and pathetic? Do you really believe that or is it just a knee jerk reaction to what you think of political correctness? "

why would you expect respect from a stranger? that makes no sense... i earn respect from my peers,

people who take offence from the silly pc shit are defo needy and pathetic, to be so affected by something that someone has said we should be offended by? i have a brain, i can decide for myself if i'm offended. cant you?

It's a contradiction.

For clarity are you therefore saying 'guided' political correctness does have a place in our society? Is your problem just with the way it has been implemented?"

political correctness is like a set of rules, if you have respect for others there would be no need for it.

You dont tell people what to say or how to live you guide them into what is right. Or they choose for themselves.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

'Political correctness' is a fuck awful phrase. It has so much stigma attached to it now.

There is a fine line between being respectful then pushing it too far and becoming patronising.

I quite like differences, skin colour, size, religion, sex, sexual preference etc. It would be really boring if we were all clones. I also occasionally like to take the piss out of any or all of the above.

For me it was a noble concept which has disappeared up it's own arse.

Vive la différence! (and laughing at that différence)

It's a contradiction.

For clarity are you therefore saying 'guided' political correctness does have a place in our society? Is your problem just with the way it has been implemented?

political correctness is like a set of rules, if you have respect for others there would be no need for it.

You dont tell people what to say or how to live you guide them into what is right. Or they choose for themselves."

All people try to tell others how to live their lives including the governments in the West which try to force what they believe in, ie 'democracy' (ha ha) on other people such as the people of Myanmar, Syria, Iraq, North Korea etc etc and to deny this is in my eyes dishonest and hypocritical.

"'Political correctness' is a fuck awful phrase. It has so much stigma attached to it now.

There is a fine line between being respectful then pushing it too far and becoming patronising.

I quite like differences, skin colour, size, religion, sex, sexual preference etc. It would be really boring if we were all clones. I also occasionally like to take the piss out of any or all of the above.

For me it was a noble concept which has disappeared up it's own arse.

Vive la différence! (and laughing at that différence)"

Well said. As someone who has spent much of his life wandering around the world with a rucsack on his back I would hate it if everyone was the same.

It's a contradiction.

You dont tell people what to say or how to live you guide them into what is right. Or they choose for themselves."

'Guide them into what is right', but only as long as it remains just a guide and they have the final choice and therefore responsibility for their actions.

What name would you give that guide?

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

It's a contradiction.

You dont tell people what to say or how to live you guide them into what is right. Or they choose for themselves.

'Guide them into what is right', but only as long as it remains just a guide and they have the final choice and therefore responsibility for their actions.

What name would you give that guide?"

The Correctful Politicness Guide

Political Correctness. This, like the terms 'racist' and 'prejudice' is a term which is bandied about by a lot of people who wouldn't be able to define it if asked. so if you are going to ask such a question, don't you think you should define the term first?"

No I don't, I have purposely not attempted to define it. The thread is to hear peoples own perception of what political correctness is.

I know how to define it, but that is in my opinion irrelevant. I want to hear what others actually believe as opposed to what some maybe think they should believe.

It's a contradiction.

"

An alternative _iew on this free speech issue...

As a left, leaning liberal I think so-called 'political correctness' is usually just politeness and compassion.

On the other hand, I wonder if it could be that the right / Daily Mail brigade use accusations of 'PC gone mad' to censor far more often than the left / Guardianistas.

Telling us lefties that we can't criticise racism and inequality is limiting our freedom of speech!

It's a contradiction.

What name would you give that guide?"

The hitchhikers guide to empathy.

Lmfao

I'm not sure what is 'Urban' myth and what is reality I suspect most of the knee-jerk nonsense is down to the myths though.

If political correctness is just about being a reasonable human being and not an ignorant twat then it's a good thing of course

Not showing terrible ignorant TV shows

for cheap laughs is obviously a good thing. If kids can grow up not seeing that shite then hopefully they won't be brainwashed into thinking it's the norm and acceptable.

... is that OK?

By *UNCHBOXMan  over a year ago

folkestone

To me PC is taking offence on behalf of other people. For example i used to work for a company who decided to change their christmas party and call it a annual celebration in case any non christians were offended, not that any did.

"To me PC is taking offence on behalf of other people. For example i used to work for a company who decided to change their christmas party and call it a annual celebration in case any non christians were offended, not that any did. "

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

I have a problem with "political correctness",the term insinuates its only something you do tactically because you have to ,i would prefer people just treated people with respect,so it is entrenched rather than forced.

It's a contradiction.

An alternative _iew on this free speech issue...

As a left, leaning liberal I think so-called 'political correctness' is usually just politeness and compassion.

On the other hand, I wonder if it could be that the right / Daily Mail brigade use accusations of 'PC gone mad' to censor far more often than the left / Guardianistas.

Telling us lefties that we can't criticise racism and inequality is limiting our freedom of speech!"

Guardian reading liberals are not politically of the Left whatever they or the half educated people who read newspapers like the Daily Mail might like to think.They are first and foremost libertarians as you with your concern with freedom of speech clearly are, and therefore they are of the Right.

Egalitarians are of the Left, and to quote one of the most famous egalitarians "Yes, freedom is precious.And that is why it must be rationed".

Political Correctness. This, like the terms 'racist' and 'prejudice' is a term which is bandied about by a lot of people who wouldn't be able to define it if asked. so if you are going to ask such a question, don't you think you should define the term first?

No I don't, I have purposely not attempted to define it. The thread is to hear peoples own perception of what political correctness is.

I know how to define it, but that is in my opinion irrelevant. I want to hear what others actually believe as opposed to what some maybe think they should believe. "

Ah, I see. You are interested in the _iews of the informed but also the ill-informed and uninformed.

A far more tolerant person than I am then, as I am uninterested in the _iews of the two latter groups .

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Political correctness in my _iew is not defined as the absence of racism, ageism, sexism etc alone - for me it is a concept borne out of long standing stereotypes, prejudices and discriminatory acts, PC is something that was necessary to establish to raise awareness of what may be offensive to (ethnic/ religious and other ) minorities.

Raised awareness of other people's feelings has to be a good thing if we want adiverse and muilticultural society to function and improve communication. In order to reduce and eventually wipe out unacceptable transgressions it is probably necessary to be "ueber" pc until everybody grasps and accept the concept. Eventually, I believe the pendulum will settle somewhere in the middle and people won't be offended at mild mannered fun making of certain ethnic/ religious/ sexist traits and the very question of whether something is pc or non pc will disappear as it will no longer be a useful concept to discuss.

"Political correctness in my _iew is not defined as the absence of racism, ageism, sexism etc alone - for me it is a concept borne out of long standing stereotypes, prejudices and discriminatory acts, PC is something that was necessary to establish to raise awareness of what may be offensive to (ethnic/ religious and other ) minorities.

Raised awareness of other people's feelings has to be a good thing if we want adiverse and muilticultural society to function and improve communication. In order to reduce and eventually wipe out unacceptable transgressions it is probably necessary to be "ueber" pc until everybody grasps and accept the concept. Eventually, I believe the pendulum will settle somewhere in the middle and people won't be offended at mild mannered fun making of certain ethnic/ religious/ sexist traits and the very question of whether something is pc or non pc will disappear as it will no longer be a useful concept to discuss. "

Well the term 'political correctness' was first used by Lenin.

I for one do not believe for one moment that our neo-liberal and neo conservative capitalist masters are motivated by anything other than a desire to have an even freer market with even more people to buy their products. And as someone who has spent much of his life wandering for long periods of time around every continent in the world but Antarctica and Australia, I frankly laugh at the idea that some people appear to think that there won't be friction between, for example, Pakistanis, Tibetans, Indians, Danes and Brazilians if they are all living in the same area.

I know how to define it, but that is in my opinion irrelevant. I want to hear what others actually believe as opposed to what some maybe think they should believe.

Ah, I see. You are interested in the _iews of the informed but also the ill-informed and uninformed.

A far more tolerant person than I am then, as I am uninterested in the _iews of the two latter groups .

"

so are you one of these who belive the uneducated arnt worth educating

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"To me PC is taking offence on behalf of other people. For example i used to work for a company who decided to change their christmas party and call it a annual celebration in case any non christians were offended, not that any did. "

Why do you assume this is taking offence on peoples behalf rather than being considerate?

How do you know that the non-christians didn't feel a bit uncomfortable celebrating Xmas? Just because people don't speak out it doesn't mean they're fine with something, especially when they're a minority.

PC to me is exactly that, being considerate in small matters of language. I don't understand why others get so furious at attempts to make minorities (i.e. those with less power in society) feel ok.

"

Guardian reading liberals are not politically of the Left whatever they or the half educated people who read newspapers like the Daily Mail might like to think.They are first and foremost libertarians as you with your concern with freedom of speech clearly are, and therefore they are of the Right.

Egalitarians are of the Left, and to quote one of the most famous egalitarians "Yes, freedom is precious.And that is why it must be rationed".

"

Bizarrely ill informed. Freedom of speech is an egalitarian ideal. To say that anyone who believes in freedom of speech is automatically of the political right is simplistic and plain wrong.

Yes, it is true that communist governments have denied these rights but so have regiemes of the far right (Chile, Argentina, South Africa to name a few)

You can say what lies you want about the size of my willie but please never suggest that I am politically of the right!!!!!

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Political Correctness - bad.

I say this because as soon as it was given a special name it gave people license to seperate themselves from the reality of what it was aiming to achieve.... hence the sayings "it's political correctness gone made" and "the politically correct lefties"... and so on. People can easily detach themselves from the word 'political' and 'correctness' implies you are 'wrong' if you don't.... which can put people in a defensive mindset.

Respect - good.

By *phroditeWoman  over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Political correctness in my _iew is not defined as the absence of racism, ageism, sexism etc alone - for me it is a concept borne out of long standing stereotypes, prejudices and discriminatory acts, PC is something that was necessary to establish to raise awareness of what may be offensive to (ethnic/ religious and other ) minorities.

Raised awareness of other people's feelings has to be a good thing if we want adiverse and muilticultural society to function and improve communication. In order to reduce and eventually wipe out unacceptable transgressions it is probably necessary to be "ueber" pc until everybody grasps and accept the concept. Eventually, I believe the pendulum will settle somewhere in the middle and people won't be offended at mild mannered fun making of certain ethnic/ religious/ sexist traits and the very question of whether something is pc or non pc will disappear as it will no longer be a useful concept to discuss.

Well the term 'political correctness' was first used by Lenin.

I for one do not believe for one moment that our neo-liberal and neo conservative capitalist masters are motivated by anything other than a desire to have an even freer market with even more people to buy their products. And as someone who has spent much of his life wandering for long periods of time around every continent in the world but Antarctica and Australia, I frankly laugh at the idea that some people appear to think that there won't be friction between, for example, Pakistanis, Tibetans, Indians, Danes and Brazilians if they are all living in the same area.

"

I am not denying that there will be friction between different people, groups, minorities. I am saying though that anything that is remotely helpful in resolving conflict, diminishing aggression and aiding a more peaceful society has to be given some validity. My stance is based on a leaning towards a Buddhist attitude.

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

It's bad. Political correctness is part of cultural Marxism.

» Add a new message to this topic