FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Nationalisation

Nationalisation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Do you think it is time to nationalise or re-nationalise some sectors of industry or the economy in general ?

Would some sectors benefit from central control ?

On the flip side, should some currently nationalised sectors be de-nationalised and put to private tender or made to stand on their own two feet commercially ?

It's strange what comes to mind in the shower

I should perhaps stick to singing !

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

Yes....maybe .....no ....ahh feck it its too early ....i dont know

By *stmateMan  over a year ago

Notts

Either way the tax payer still gets screwed one way or the other.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No government can be trusted to run a business properly, so no

"Do you think it is time to nationalise or re-nationalise some sectors of industry or the economy in general ?

Would some sectors benefit from central control ?

On the flip side, should some currently nationalised sectors be de-nationalised and put to private tender or made to stand on their own two feet commercially ?

It's strange what comes to mind in the shower

I should perhaps stick to singing !"

so were we supposed to find a song amongst all this - cos I failed abysmally

Im against nationalisation as it leads to poor productivity, super companies that are unable to stand on their own two feet commercially and tend to become union controlled.

If you look at the railways, yes there are issues, however we are riding on way better trains than we used to, customer service actually exists (mostly) and the rail network is getting huge sums of private company money to improve it.

and i haven't even had a shower yet

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Im against nationalisation as it leads to poor productivity, super companies that are unable to stand on their own two feet commercially and tend to become union controlled.

If you look at the railways, yes there are issues, however we are riding on way better trains than we used to, customer service actually exists (mostly) and the rail network is getting huge sums of private company money to improve it.

and i haven't even had a shower yet "

but could a nationalised business now be run to private sector / commercial considerations i.e. profit making

with the profits being pumped back into the economy or into reducing deficits as opposed to lining shareholders pockets ?

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

"Im against nationalisation as it leads to poor productivity, super companies that are unable to stand on their own two feet commercially and tend to become union controlled.

I've yet to find a large private concern that is efficient - so private/ public makes very little difference in real terms - all I know is we seem to be paying through the nose now

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

G4S and the Olympics. I say no more otherwise I will never leave this thread.

Government exists to govern, not run businesses, and as such it should free itself of running huge conglomerates and leave that to the captains of industry who are far better equipped to do the job properly. Sure people make mistakes and businessmen are no different but where businessmen can be held accountable for the mistakes they make (via the board or the shareholders) it's rare we see a policitian lose everything because he screwed up (they normally get shuffled off quietly and go into the private sector).

But that's not to say that government cannot promote British business abroad and secure contracts and jobs for the British taxpayer. That's where I see government's role in business.

Profit is not the only reason to run a business, however on a large scale where large finance is involved then that is usually raised by shareholders who are looking for a fairly short term return on the investment.

Only governments can take the really long view, e.g. several lifetimes.

So yes some things are good to be Nationalized.

My pet thought at the moment is re-nationalization of the water boards, followed by a large program of canal works that would provide a method of moving water around the country, removing drought issues and hosepipe bans, but more importantly moving water away from flood risk areas. this if planned properly could also give a transport network for heavy industry, a leisure industry around canals and lakes . More importantly it would supply masses of work in thousands of industries for 50 years or so, which should see us clear of this recession...

But if that is done as a PFI privatised industry then some French or American company would use non UK designers, suppliers and labour, and then take the profits out of the country as well.

It's not a profit to the country if individual productivity is high but 50% of the old workforce are now unemployed receiving benefits from the tax collected off the remaining workers.

As a counter point to that, I believe that almost all innovation comes from smaller faster moving companies, so some things should never be run by governments.

Sorry but that about the rail is rubbish verging on bollox. The rail industry gets twice the subsidy that British rail got. Private ownership and the drive for profitability lead to the poor maintenance which caused the death of so many at Potters Bar. Were that a public Company then there would be much more accountability from those at the top....

The gas and electricity sectors are run at a profit but are not efficient and certainly not run as the social concern that they should be, water even more so. The trouble with these is that there is no true market and so the different companies are actualy running a cartel.

I cant fault the telecoms industry (but returning to the central theme) there is a market.

Woe betide people who want to post a letter if they completely deregulate the postal market, there wont be.doorstop delivery service anymone and they expect private postage to jump to around £2 per stamp......

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

and its costing you the tax payer 3 x more than it did under BR yeah great value for money

» Add a new message to this topic