FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is this recognised as a real profession?

Is this recognised as a real profession?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

'Influencers'

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ewrocksWoman  over a year ago

button moon

Apparently so. No idea who actually is supposed to be influenced by them

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can tell you the money real

By *ablo minibar123Woman  over a year ago

Well people can make a living out of it so why shouldn't it be?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

They earn money just like anyone else.

It's often a new form of advertisement.

By *untime5Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

I’m sure HMRC recognise it

Yes it is.

It’s self employment.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

"Profession: a paid occupation"

So yes.

LvM

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

I remember when my uni told me to give up on my dream, as it wasn't a real career.

Now they are one of the leading universities teaching it.

Don't look down on things you don't understand.

Yes it is and it’s by no means easy.

I’m not on the same scale as the real influencers but I do a fair bit on Insta and it’s bloody hard work!

"I remember when my uni told me to give up on my dream, as it wasn't a real career.

Now they are one of the leading universities teaching it.

Don't look down on things you don't understand. "

This.

Some of them are paid handsomely, and it’s their sole income. So it’s a yes from me.

YouTube inst and that are responble for spawning more millionaires in a 10 year period than any other industry in the world

Hard to hear it from your kids though when they say they want to be a youtuber or a gamer when they grow up! No need to work hard in school or go to university in their eyes.

Warwick

"Hard to hear it from your kids though when they say they want to be a youtuber or a gamer when they grow up! No need to work hard in school or go to university in their eyes. "

They're in for a shock if they think it's not hard work.

Can you get a mortgage doing it? My friend is a great salesman but couldn't get a mortgage as it wasn't a steady job.

An influencer is a salesperson nothing more or less. Mrs Hinch is a very nice, her success should be admired. Saved the minky from extinction

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

"Can you get a mortgage doing it?"

Yes

LvM

It's not like if the kids said "I want to be an actor" because then they can be educated on it and there's many different types of actors. But when they hear about people making millions playing Fortnite it's hard work trying to tell them to try hard at homework instead of concentrating on playing games (I can control when and what they play).

"Can you get a mortgage doing it? My friend is a great salesman but couldn't get a mortgage as it wasn't a steady job.

An influencer is a salesperson nothing more or less. Mrs Hinch is a very nice, her success should be admired. Saved the minky from extinction "

The most successful ones can probably buy outright anyway

I'd say it's dogshit. But if it helps people then who am I to judge?? This fence I keep sitting on is hurting my arse a bit now

"'Influencers'"

Well you've been influenced, so yeah

By *litreMan  over a year ago

everywhere

The thought is scary. Luckily I'm still in a position to control how much dumb box they watch and the time they spend on their console

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"They earn money just like anyone else.

It's often a new form of advertisement."

Indeed.

Generally it's the ones that you see pop up now and again "demanding" X in echange for the advertisement that then gives the others a bad name.

The actual hours (at least early days of their profession) needed to put in is in some cases more than most other jobs. Often starting as a side project along side another job. What you see is only a fraction of what they put in.

Hours of editing, research, reaching out, promotion, using products for reviews, in depth analysis, networking etc (not all of these things are done by all influencers and YouTube channels).

Fair enough some of these come from money already and don't have to put the same work in. They hire people and they end up just being the face of it all.

The world is changing, once upon a time people like Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, and plenty of computer programmers were likely told "get a real job in manual labour" and now their success has spawned multiple different new fields of professions, lots of those producing other opportunities for work that make the world go around.

"It's not like if the kids said "I want to be an actor" because then they can be educated on it and there's many different types of actors. But when they hear about people making millions playing Fortnite it's hard work trying to tell them to try hard at homework instead of concentrating on playing games (I can control when and what they play)."

Exactly.

Of course. We are all influenced by some degree in everything in life. Some people have recognised that and make a living from it

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Yes it is. Good luck to anyone who has the drive and the talent to make their living doing it.

I find it depressing. Thank God there’s still kids aspiring to a profession where they can make a difference.

Liverpool

"It's not like if the kids said "I want to be an actor" because then they can be educated on it and there's many different types of actors. But when they hear about people making millions playing Fortnite it's hard work trying to tell them to try hard at homework instead of concentrating on playing games (I can control when and what they play).

Exactly."

Plenty of resources you can show them that document what is required to do the job of a YouTube star/twitch streamer. Ironically on YouTube itself.

Most are working almost 24/7 for at least the first 4 years. Unless they are just that good in tournaments, or get lucky.

Liverpool

"I find it depressing. Thank God there’s still kids aspiring to a profession where they can make a difference."

Depressing how?

Be honest how much do you actually understand about the whole thing other than surface level?

"I find it depressing. Thank God there’s still kids aspiring to a profession where they can make a difference."

Well you are helping people buy new phones or new make up brand kits.. one could argue you are making a difference

"I find it depressing. Thank God there’s still kids aspiring to a profession where they can make a difference.

Depressing how?

Be honest how much do you actually understand about the whole thing other than surface level? "

How can she explain if she only understands the surface level?

Ok, so why not explain to me how what they do actually matters, in the grand scheme of things.

"I find it depressing. Thank God there’s still kids aspiring to a profession where they can make a difference.

Depressing how?

Be honest how much do you actually understand about the whole thing other than surface level?

How can she explain if she only understands the surface level? "

A great opportunity to mansplain, I’d have thought. So go for it.

[Removed by poster at 25/10/21 19:36:16]

Depressing how?

How can she explain if she only understands the surface level?

A great opportunity to mansplain, I’d have thought. So go for it."

I want him to explain. This is going to be fun

You can be a swinging influencer too! There is quite a few that say there are on here !!!

I am in a feisty mood tonight, and am probably best staying off the forum

I can't think who is more pathetic of today's culture, the vacuous so called influencers or the saddos who follow them

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Tarka trail

Influencers. Yes there is a group on fab.

"I am in a feisty mood tonight, and am probably best staying off the forum "

I've never seen you feisty before. Like it

By *he Secret Tea PartyCouple  over a year ago

London

It's a way of making money.

As for it being a profession, I'd say not

KM

Yes some have made millions...so it is a very successful profession for some...some are a pain in the ass also though

By *hilloutMan  over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

I would tend to agree. I have nothing against the successful 'influencers'; more power to then for the success they've obtained.

The fact they exist and thrive is more a symptom of modern society's social media decandece than anything else.

Warwick

"I can't think who is more pathetic of today's culture, the vacuous so called influencers or the saddos who follow them

"

They are just the modern day equivalent of TV celebs. Many seem to love them and follow them. Personally, I've never understood the whole love for celebs of any type.

If you don't like them, just ignore them. I find it worse when people get so worked up by what other people do or like when it doesn't affect them at all.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

A hundred plus years ago, some people made a living by running "freak shows", showing bearded ladies and people with six fingers etc. Was considered perfectly acceptable at the time, but today, we're horrified. People used to place ads in the big newspapers, selling horribly dangerous concoctions and potions that were supposed to aid with weight loss and impotence and "hysteria" ( ), again, these "influencers" were considered acceptable.

My point?

1) Jobs change over time and what's acceptable in one decade or century is not in the next.

2) Influencers aren't a new thing. Just the mechanism of exerting the influence changes.

By *layfulserfMan  over a year ago

Northolt

A lot of them are paid a fortune

By *lamorousBeautyLondonWoman  over a year ago

London

"'Influencers'"

To paraphrase Visotsky, if they are paying you money then it is a profession

By *tue555Man  over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

[Removed by poster at 25/10/21 20:45:32]

It worries me more than my wee one doesn't get that it's their profession and takes everything they say on board as she thinks they're just being nice

By *tue555Man  over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

"'Influencers'"

There are many different kinds of profession. Yes basically if you earn a living from it. But there is also the recognised professions which carry authority with them. Those that are recognised as susch i.e. People who can sign passports etc.

So ultimately there are two kinds of professionals. Those that are and those that have achieved some kind of recognition or status of being a professional. Lawyers, accountants, doctors, teachers etc, me .

No im not going to go into the use of the FAB use of professional

"'Influencers'

There are many different kinds of profession. Yes basically if you earn a living from it. But there is also the recognised professions which carry authority with them. Those that are recognised as susch i.e. People who can sign passports etc.

So ultimately there are two kinds of professionals. Those that are and those that have achieved some kind of recognition or status of being a professional. Lawyers, accountants, doctors, teachers etc, me .

No im not going to go into the use of the FAB use of professional "

Think the fab definition is pretty much 'has a bank account'

"Ok, so why not explain to me how what they do actually matters, in the grand scheme of things. "

It can’t be explained in one go. There’s so many different types of influencers for. Your standard beauty ones, to body positivity activists or mental health advocates turned authors, to girls who like fashion who end up making their own clothing brands.

There’s plenty of people in between. A woman I follow a few years back was simply a girl interested in skincare who managed to get rid of her acne and resurface her skin, now she owns a whole skincare brand which helps other women tackle any problems they have with blemishes etc.

It’s not depressing at all. Influencing is how my cousin got to start his own cocktail drinks service, so it isn’t saving someone’s life, but it’s a business doing something he loves and it pays well, my other cousin started her own fashion brand and got a surge of followers thanks to influencers. Her two teenage daughters now work with her and will have great CV’s for their future.

With technology so advanced and social media being so popular this is how the world will go. I don’t see anything wrong with it.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's a job and very lucrative if you have what the people want.

Profession ............ No

Influencing is nothing new. Celebrities did it on TV for years, magazines influence people, newspapers, the news and so on, that’s what advertising is.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"It worries me more than my wee one doesn't get that it's their profession and takes everything they say on board as she thinks they're just being nice "

This is where guidance and oversight are important (not suggesting you don't, but just reinforcing that kids should be supervised online, that's all).

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

Its inly the same as celebs in the past appearing in adverts endorsing products.

Sis in law, only used buy things with a celeb "atrached".

Its just that the influencers seem to be very poorly regulated and some even seem to not care what they are connected with.

My eldest is a twitch streamer (gaming) and content creator alongside his day job. He is in the top 5% of streamers in America and has sponsorships from all kinds of stuff.

He earns more than enough to pay his mortgage a month. It doesn't come easy...I doesn't happen overnight, it has been 4/5 years in the making.

My youngest kept getting told his life dream was unrealistic....now he works all over the world in his dream job.

Nothing should be shunned or dismissed, it might not be traditional but times are changing.

Do it but do it alongside something else to have that back up

"My eldest is a twitch streamer (gaming) and content creator alongside his day job. He is in the top 5% of streamers in America and has sponsorships from all kinds of stuff.

He earns more than enough to pay his mortgage a month. It doesn't come easy...I doesn't happen overnight, it has been 4/5 years in the making.

My youngest kept getting told his life dream was unrealistic....now he works all over the world in his dream job.

Nothing should be shunned or dismissed, it might not be traditional but times are changing.

Do it but do it alongside something else to have that back up "

That’s amazing!!! X congrats I’m sure you are a very proud mother x

Manchester (she/her)

"A hundred plus years ago, some people made a living by running "freak shows", showing bearded ladies and people with six fingers etc. Was considered perfectly acceptable at the time, but today, we're horrified. People used to place ads in the big newspapers, selling horribly dangerous concoctions and potions that were supposed to aid with weight loss and impotence and "hysteria" ( ), again, these "influencers" were considered acceptable.

My point?

1) Jobs change over time and what's acceptable in one decade or century is not in the next.

2) Influencers aren't a new thing. Just the mechanism of exerting the influence changes."

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

"My eldest is a twitch streamer (gaming) and content creator alongside his day job. He is in the top 5% of streamers in America and has sponsorships from all kinds of stuff.

Do it but do it alongside something else to have that back up "

Fantastic! Excellent advice too

Manchester (she/her)

I actually follow a - I think content creator rather than influencer - who promotes breaking down the facts and approaching things using critical thinking.

(Things are, like, entertainment news and the legal spin on that)

She does have sponsorships but she doesn't sell products. I think a way of introducing or reinforcing critical thinking is no bad thing.

Apparently, if you have more than 30,000 followers on social media, you can be regarded as a 'celebrity'

» Add a new message to this topic