FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Him/he- her/she/

Him/he- her/she/

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

In the past few months I've noticed this trend in email signatures.... Especially at work...

Anyone here have such signatures?

It's not something that I'll ever do but I'm just really intrigued.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My Apple Account manager does but it’s not something we would ever be required to do

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I've noticed it becoming more frequent, especially in client email signatures that aren't UK based...it's not something that my company requires

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

Not something I've ever noticed to be fair. Would be helpful though as some overseas colleagues have names where I'm not sure if they're male or female so it would definitely stop me mixing them up

By *innocentMan  over a year ago

Littlehampton

A prime example of bandwagon

Gender identity is becoming more recognised in modern workplaces, hence increasing use of it to show how they should be addressed.

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

We're encouraged to have these on our emails in work and on signs on our office doors, but it's not mandatory yet.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I do (I'm freelance, entirely at my discretion).

Even though I'm out at work we have adopted this (yet).

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

It’s been asked of us voluntarily at my work, but I haven’t switched it yet.

By *stroboy78Man  over a year ago

Abergavenny

Omfg we have this in work. I have no issues with how people wish to identify themselves what so ever but what gets me is that I tend to refer to people by their name. Very rarely do I refer to a person by their gender via email.

I get that it has been a long uphill fight for people who don't identify with the gender that they were born with and its about time that society recognise them for who they are, however when I'm told to put it on my email....just no, I have a bloody name for a reason.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Not that big of a deal in my opinion. It helps avoid misgendering people. It's not going to impact my life and in fact makes it easier for me to learn/know what it is I should be using with regards to a particular person.

I don't think it should ever be mandatory though, if you are okay with people assuming then it's all good anyway.

Manchester (she/her)

"Omfg we have this in work. I have no issues with how people wish to identify themselves what so ever but what gets me is that I tend to refer to people by their name. Very rarely do I refer to a person by their gender via email.

I get that it has been a long uphill fight for people who don't identify with the gender that they were born with and its about time that society recognise them for who they are, however when I'm told to put it on my email....just no, I have a bloody name for a reason. "

It... doesn't replace your name?

Well you don't write dear him do you? Lol its useful to a point but as you say we all address people by name, and only the most prickly would protest about a mistake in pronoun.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

"Not that big of a deal in my opinion. It helps avoid misgendering people. It's not going to impact my life and in fact makes it easier for me to learn/know what it is I should be using with regards to a particular person.

I don't think it should ever be mandatory though, if you are okay with people assuming then it's all good anyway. "

Yep

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

It's not a big deal at all unless you're the kind of person who kicks up a fuss at every new idea they come across

La la land

What I don't fully understand and maybe someone on this thread can enlighten me. What use is having this on your email genuinely is?

In an email or even if I'm being spoken to I expect people to use my name or my work title, depending on situation. She or her would be used when I'm spoken about by others? And if I'm not sure of gender (which is a common occurrence in work) I automatically use they already. So why is it important I guess my question is? Not supposed to offend anyone I'm curious.

I am very happy to refer to others by the pronouns they desire, but I don't think it should be made compulsory. Some people may not ready to reveal that and shouldn't pushed into it. Some don't believe they have a gender identity. And there is evidence that women are treated differently (better) at work when their name is neutral and people aren't sure which sex they are.

Manchester (she/her)

"What I don't fully understand and maybe someone on this thread can enlighten me. What use is having this on your email genuinely is?

In an email or even if I'm being spoken to I expect people to use my name or my work title, depending on situation. She or her would be used when I'm spoken about by others? And if I'm not sure of gender (which is a common occurrence in work) I automatically use they already. So why is it important I guess my question is? Not supposed to offend anyone I'm curious. "

I do it to normalise it, so trans people who need it aren't so singled out.

Liverpool

"What I don't fully understand and maybe someone on this thread can enlighten me. What use is having this on your email genuinely is?

In an email or even if I'm being spoken to I expect people to use my name or my work title, depending on situation. She or her would be used when I'm spoken about by others? And if I'm not sure of gender (which is a common occurrence in work) I automatically use they already. So why is it important I guess my question is? Not supposed to offend anyone I'm curious. "

I think it's more of a case just so you are aware for when/if it ever needs to be done and used.

Just view it as a bit of a signature at the end of an email.

La la land

I understand what both the posts above me are saying. And they are valid points.

But it is something I find difficult in a work setting. I've spent half my career proving my gender is irrelevant to how good I am at my job. And now I'm supposed to put it as my signature. May have to do some more thinking about it.

Manchester (she/her)

"I understand what both the posts above me are saying. And they are valid points.

But it is something I find difficult in a work setting. I've spent half my career proving my gender is irrelevant to how good I am at my job. And now I'm supposed to put it as my signature. May have to do some more thinking about it. "

I get that, I really do.

Liverpool

"I understand what both the posts above me are saying. And they are valid points.

But it is something I find difficult in a work setting. I've spent half my career proving my gender is irrelevant to how good I am at my job. And now I'm supposed to put it as my signature. May have to do some more thinking about it. "

Not mandatory is it? So no you shouldn't have to. It is safe to say that you are okay with people assuming your gender, so they don't need to be informed.

" I am very happy to refer to others by the pronouns they desire, but I don't think it should be made compulsory. Some people may not ready to reveal that and shouldn't pushed into it. Some don't believe they have a gender identity. And there is evidence that women are treated differently (better) at work when their name is neutral and people aren't sure which sex they are. "

Good point.

"In the past few months I've noticed this trend in email signatures.... Especially at work...

It's not something that I'll ever do but I'm just really intrigued."

We don't do it at my work but if they do I will opt out.

La la land

But it is something I find difficult in a work setting. I've spent half my career proving my gender is irrelevant to how good I am at my job. And now I'm supposed to put it as my signature. May have to do some more thinking about it.

Not mandatory is it? So no you shouldn't have to. It is safe to say that you are okay with people assuming your gender, so they don't need to be informed. "

I understand that it's not mandatory. Like Swing said she does it so trans people aren't singled out. I don't want to upset anyone with me not using it either.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Apart from the trans etc issues, the point that somebody made earlier in the thread about foreign names is very good. The world gets ever smaller, we communicate by email and telephone to a 100 countries. I would hazard that there are more people in the world with names that we cannot guess the gender from, than those that we can. And we should not expect others to be able to guess our genders from our names, as our names are equally unknowable to those from other cultures.

I don't see it as any type of compulsory thing, but as customs change and evolve it might become more general usage. In just the same way that somebody at some time in the past started the convention of preceding names with Mr or Miss or Mrs. And for some reason it became correct for women to indicate whether they were married or not from their pronoun, while there was no such requirement for men!

In my own lifetime I remember the huge indignation from some when women started using the Ms pronoun! Shock horror, the inhumanity of not knowing if it was okay to proposition a woman because we didn't know if they were "owned" by a husband!

My feeling is that if somebody does not tell me how they prefer to be addressed, they have no business being butt-hurt if I address them in the wrong way. I'll make my best guess, but I might be wrong for any number of reasons. Is Dr. Kelly Wilson a man or a woman? I can't tell from the name, I might well not be able to tell from the clothes, they could be wearing a mask, and there is enough overlap between male and female vocal range (particularly across different countries) that this might give no clue either. But depending on social context it could be absolutely vital that I get it right first time.

Likewise, if I don't tell someone how I prefer to be addressed, it's my own fault if they get it wrong. On the other hand though, I feel that if I do indicate my preferred pronouns on my email signature, my ID badge or in any other way, then anybody who deliberately ignores that is being disrespectful and should expect my censure.

If you wish to be addressed properly - tell people your pronouns. If people tell you their pronouns - be respectful and use them. It's just a matter of good manners.

Liverpool

Not mandatory is it? So no you shouldn't have to. It is safe to say that you are okay with people assuming your gender, so they don't need to be informed.

I understand that it's not mandatory. Like Swing said she does it so trans people aren't singled out. I don't want to upset anyone with me not using it either.

"

I get that, and it's good you feel that way, but that is on them if they take offence to that. You are doing it for your own reasons. And very valid and good reasons at that. You are not disrespecting them by not doing it, regardless of what others think - that's a general others, not directed at Inaswingdress.

It is a two way street. People need to respect (at the very least accept) others decisions for doing things.

I respect that people (whomever they are) want to put it, those same people need to respect that I may not want to. It is not about causing offence. It is about doing what is right for you under any circumstance.

Liverpool

"What polly said"

Sorry, I narrowed it down since quoting huge text annoys me.

I agree on what you say pretty much.

I get that, and it's good you feel that way, but that is on them if they take offence to that. You are doing it for your own reasons. And very valid and good reasons at that. You are not disrespecting them by not doing it, regardless of what others think - that's a general others, not directed at Inaswingdress.

It is a two way street. People need to respect (at the very least accept) others decisions for doing things.

I respect that people (whomever they are) want to put it, those same people need to respect that I may not want to. It is not about causing offence. It is about doing what is right for you under any circumstance. "

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"What polly said

I agree on what you say pretty much. "

Mainly seen this on Twitter and LinkedIn. Not something I see the point of to be honest.

I kinda get it to some extent on Twitter where people don't necessarily use thier name and profile pics are random and not always of them. But LinkedIn, everyone uses thier names, profile pics are of them...what's the point?

La la land

"What polly said

"

Thanks Polly for your post, makes lots of sense to me

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"What polly said

Another

Thanks Polly for your post, makes lots of sense to me "

Another for Polly.

It's becoming equally common at work.

I don't as I choose to sign off as Mrs but many women, quite rightly, don't see why they should advertise their sex and marital status.

"In the past few months I've noticed this trend in email signatures.... Especially at work...

It's not something that I'll ever do but I'm just really intrigued."

You mean the pronouns stuff? I don’t have it as I don’t see a need for it. If I’m emailing someone, I wouldn’t be referring to them as their pronoun as I would be directly speaking to them!

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"What polly said

Another

Thanks Polly for your post, makes lots of sense to me

Another for Polly.

It's becoming equally common at work.

I don't as I choose to sign off as Mrs but many women, quite rightly, don't see why they should advertise their sex and marital status. "

I meant increasingly not equally...

» Add a new message to this topic