FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ex-Con HGV Drivers

Ex-Con HGV Drivers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *r-Oreo OP   Man  over a year ago

telford

Just when I thought I couldn't be shocked by Boris any further, I see this Haha

I'm all for giving people second chances but how can a man who was convicted for illegally importing drugs (involving a truck) be given a Job that involves a truck.

I mean the next thing we'd see is employing IS members to drive our fuel tankers haha

What are your opinions?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

My opinion is that it's a Brexit dividend.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If the person in question has "paid his debt to society", then I don't see why not, it's just truck driving. I wouldn't, however, say the same about a convicted kiddy-fiddler being given a job involving children upon his/her release.

Manchester (she/her)

"If the person in question has "paid his debt to society", then I don't see why not, it's just truck driving. I wouldn't, however, say the same about a convicted kiddy-fiddler being given a job involving children upon his/her release."

And also this. With the exception of murder, the penalty for criminal convictions is meant to expire. Allow people the chance to rehabilitate.

By *izzibeth9Couple  over a year ago

Loughborough

Well I mean, you'd like to think if someone had just gotten out of prison for driving a bus through a crowd, that they wouldn't be first in line for a HGV license, but even so what's the point in handing out sentences if the punishment continues indefinitely once a person gets out?

If someone is willing to put in the work to better themselves - whether an ex-con or otherwise - and we're short of a particular skill, it sounds like a mutually beneficial arrangement to me.

"My opinion is that it's a Brexit dividend."

But there is a shortage of lorry drivers in the US too

Manchester (she/her)

"My opinion is that it's a Brexit dividend.

But there is a shortage of lorry drivers in the US too "

Did that shortage suddenly become much more acute after a major political change that excluded part of the workforce, or are you comparing apples to accountants?

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Well I'm assuming the guy had a licence and experience to do so. So he is technically the best man for the job.

Is he going to use his new position to commit the same crime again? Maybe. He will likely be watched closely.

He may also just want to get on with his life now and have no part in what he did previously.

"My opinion is that it's a Brexit dividend."

I still lol when I see this kind of statement. EVerYThING iS beCauSe oF bRexiiiitttt

Nope

telford

I think the government is a joke

Also in my opinion brexit was a the right move for us.

The government just needs to do more to get more hgv drivers

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Just when I thought I couldn't be shocked by Boris any further, I see this Haha

I'm all for giving people second chances but how can a man who was convicted for illegally importing drugs (involving a truck) be given a Job that involves a truck.

I mean the next thing we'd see is employing IS members to drive our fuel tankers haha

What are your opinions? "

Has someone who has been convicted for illegally importing drugs been given a job driving a truck ?

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

If we prevent people with criminal records from making an honest living it just further traps them into a life of crime.

telford

"Just when I thought I couldn't be shocked by Boris any further, I see this Haha

What are your opinions?

Has someone who has been convicted for illegally importing drugs been given a job driving a truck ?"

Yes sadly Hahaha

I find it funny now

telford

"If we prevent people with criminal records from making an honest living it just further traps them into a life of crime. "

And I agree with you everyone deserves a second chance. But they should be given jobs well suited for them

It's like given an ex gang member the duty of guarding an armory

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What are your opinions?

Has someone who has been convicted for illegally importing drugs been given a job driving a truck ?

Yes sadly Hahaha

I find it funny now"

All I can find is a page that says LOW LEVEL offenders COULD be given drivers jobs..

Where does it say a 'drug trafficker' HAS been given a drivers job ?

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

This how I see it here a 100k of shit you got a week to get it across the country see you when you get back..

But there is a shortage of lorry drivers in the US too

Did that shortage suddenly become much more acute after a major political change that excluded part of the workforce, or are you comparing apples to accountants?"

Just saying it's not just a UK problem

By *uriousscouserWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

What are your opinions?

Has someone who has been convicted for illegally importing drugs been given a job driving a truck ?"

There was a story in the news this week that non-violent offenders with HGV licenses who were eligible for day release were being asked whether they would work for haulage companies.

Since they are on day release I don't see the guy in question having the time to get out of the UK in order to drive drugs back into the country, but I guess the risk will be assessed in the way that all day release jobs are assessed.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Saw this on the News and had to laugh. Ex drug dealer now fast tracked to HGV. Bet he and his mates laughed too. How many of his contacts will be giving him a bell.

Manchester (she/her)

I still lol when I see this kind of statement. EVerYThING iS beCauSe oF bRexiiiitttt

Nope"

So the drivers who can no longer work here because of the end of freedom of movement weren't propping up our supply chain? Why were there no problems before this year, exactly?

Liverpool

"If we prevent people with criminal records from making an honest living it just further traps them into a life of crime.

And I agree with you everyone deserves a second chance. But they should be given jobs well suited for them

It's like given an ex gang member the duty of guarding an armory "

But it is suited for him he knows how to and has experience for driving a hgv.

Just because his crime involved his job does not mean he can't do it.

Quite a few ex-thieves go in to security consultation because they have experience with dealing with breaking and entering.

Reformed and rehabilitated needs to mean something. If that is the man's only skill let him make use of it, especially when we need it.

Liverpool

Nope

So the drivers who can no longer work here because of the end of freedom of movement weren't propping up our supply chain? Why were there no problems before this year, exactly?"

Indeed. The issue may not be tied to Brexit on it's own, but Brexit certainly has made the situation far worse, mix that in with covid.

Alone these issues may not be as impactful, but combined has us in the mess we are in.

» Add a new message to this topic