FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Parental responsibility

Parental responsibility

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I am posting in here, as I often read the posts and know that you are all helpful and have a wide knowledge on a huge number of subjects.

SO I thought I would give it a shot!

Basically, I am trying to find out if my ex husband has parental responsibility in a legal sense. Different people, and authorities say different things, which makes it even more confusing.

My ex is on my daughter's birth certificate, but we were not married at the time.

She was born before 2001, which seems to have been a change time as regards the law.

However, we later married, in 2002, but are now divorced.

She wants to change her surname to mine, and without his permission, if he still has responsibility, we apparently have to go through the courts, which costs around £250,

Any advice gratefully received!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If he is named on the birth certificate he has parental responsibility im afraid

I have been told that that is not the case if she was born before a certain date.

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"I have been told that that is not the case if she was born before a certain date. "

CAB are usually quite good on family law

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

My sperm donor is named on my birth certificate, yet I've never met him.

When I was born there was some kind of problem with the immunisations you have as a baby, you couldn't have them if there was certain medical history in the family. My mum went to my sperm donor, who refused to tell her anything, consequently I couldn't have any jabs, and went through hell as a child, whooping cough, mumps, measles, you name it I bloody had it!! lol

Anyway, when my little sis was born, my Mum and Dad wanted me to have the same surname, so they again approached my sperm donor, who refused. So they changed my name by deed poll instead. Didn't need his permission for that!!

i changed my two eldest daughters names last year to that of my ex as they had been using his name for years anyway and although we had split by that time there was no animosity between us so it was'nt an issue, but my ex husband who is their sperm donor has'nt had contact with them for 8 years so although he has parental responsilbility i did'nt need his permission to change them xxxxx

Thank you for all your answers.

It is just so confusing!

One solicitor has said I need his permission, and a friend in the same position has said her solicitor just signed the deed poll form.

I want to do everything legally, so there can be no comebacks, as he is an absolute arsehole..and would cause as much trouble as he could!

By *issBehavingxxWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I believe (and it's been a while since I have had to look into any of this) that if he is named on birth certificate, the fact that you later married gives him parental responsibility

it depends on your daughters age, if she is over 11 a court order, wouldn't be much of a problem, if she is around 14 a court order will be easy, if she is 16 she can do it herself without any permission.

he does have pr as you were subsequently married, if he doesn't consent, get a court order and bobs your uncle job done.

By *innamon!Woman  over a year ago

no matter

My Mum remarried when I was 11 and when I went to senior school I requested to use her new name .. was known by that all through senior school changed back to my original name when I left school .. Even my first driving licence was in my stepfathers name. .

Thank you all for your help.

I have now had a definitive answer, and unfortunately he has parental responsibility!!!!

All I need now as the solicitor I spoke to told me, is either a "bent" solicitor who will do it anyway, or to apply for a loan to pay for it!!

good luck, hope it all pans out well for you.

"good luck, hope it all pans out well for you. "

Thank you xx

"I am posting in here, as I often read the posts and know that you are all helpful and have a wide knowledge on a huge number of subjects.

SO I thought I would give it a shot!

Basically, I am trying to find out if my ex husband has parental responsibility in a legal sense. Different people, and authorities say different things, which makes it even more confusing.

My ex is on my daughter's birth certificate, but we were not married at the time.

She was born before 2001, which seems to have been a change time as regards the law.

However, we later married, in 2002, but are now divorced.

She wants to change her surname to mine, and without his permission, if he still has responsibility, we apparently have to go through the courts, which costs around £250,

Any advice gratefully received!!

"

Because on when she was born, he did not have automatic parental responsibility which came into law in 2003 for unmarried fathers.

However as you later married, that then gave him PR, would he not agree to a name change?

Oops didn't read all the posts, but good luck.

Hope it all works out for you, good luck x

you can just change her name on everything without legal getting involved . i had same problem with my daughter sperm donor would not agree and could not afford costs , so i just changed her name myself set up bank account for her, school records , doctors when she does exams will have his name on and passport does but thats it for all intent and purpose in everyday life she has the name she wants .

"Thank you for all your answers.

It is just so confusing!

One solicitor has said I need his permission, and a friend in the same position has said her solicitor just signed the deed poll form.

I want to do everything legally, so there can be no comebacks, as he is an absolute arsehole..and would cause as much trouble as he could!

"

Use your friends solicitor... sorted!

Im currently on the receiving end of my ex trying to change my daughters name to her new husbands name, i still see my daughter she is only 7 so doesn't really understand, but its tearing me apart

This is why mine was so different there was domestic abuse and he involved the children

i did mine online and it cost me £26 for the two of them xxxxxxxxxxx

» Add a new message to this topic