FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Instinct

Instinct

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

I was watching a nature program last night... A little himalayan rat type thing was on.. Lives for about 5 years.. If.. And only if.. It forages and stuffs away enough food during the 3 month summer to last it through the 9 month winter... (I think much like we did during "loo roll" summer)...

It got me thinking... How the fxxx does a 3 month old himalayan rat type thing know they have to go and find food and stuff it below ground? Which got me thinking even more, how truly remarkable nature can be, with the things the animal kingdom does instinctively to survive. Which got me thinking even further... What on earth is this attribute of "instinct" and how does it develop?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

“Instinct” can help explain a lot of human behaviour. Evolutionary biology has always been an interesting subject to me

Think about the wasp that has to find a spider to lay its eggs in. No one taught it that. Pure instinct.

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

That's similar to cuckoos knowing to lay eggs in other birds nests and loads of other 'instinctive' behaviour.

Personally, I believe in a form of genetic memory so these things are learned and are imprinted to well that they are passed down to the offspring.

Slightly off topic, but this is also what I believe many ghost siteings to be. A memory that had imprinted on an ancestors and past down, to later be trigger by some event or location.

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

"That's similar to cuckoos knowing to lay eggs in other birds nests and loads of other 'instinctive' behaviour.

Personally, I believe in a form of genetic memory so these things are learned and are imprinted to well that they are passed down to the offspring.

Slightly off topic, but this is also what I believe many ghost siteings to be. A memory that had imprinted on an ancestors and past down, to later be trigger by some event or location. "

I really can't type this morning, sorry.

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

I think the empathy elephants show towards each other is amazing. There’s so much to learn from nature of only you take the time to stop and take it in

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Instinct and gut feelings are within the subconscious mind. Every animal with a brain has this built in.

Tin town

"Instinct and gut feelings are within the subconscious mind. Every animal with a brain has this built in."

If that's true though, that instinct is a subconscious process, then what is the subconscious mind? Where does it exist? What controls it? Are there chemical processes happening and synapses firing that "effect" whatever is happening? Is that subconscious / instinct for people with for example dementure or brain injury affected?

If we were to give an evolutionary explanation, some rats just carried food for the day and other rats carried more food than they need and stored it. The ones who didn't store enough food died in winters while the ones that stored food survived and passed on their genes.

As for instincts, some of our instincts to detect dangers are built in. Some we learn subconsciously as we live. Our mind is really good at detecting patterns and warning us when a pattern similar to things which led to a dangerous situation occurs again.

As the aborigines say you have three brains the first, is you're brain in the head it is the most useless (logic) it confesses thoughts you second guess. the 2nd is the heart it's emotion and feeling, 1st most useful is your gut (instinct) there's a reson that saying had stuck around for so long. Just think how many times you have been sat facing One Direction with a 360° surrounding, and you feel as though someone is looking at you, you turn your head and clap perfectly in line with a set of eyes looking at you now looking at them. That is instinct. Animal magnetism is also a fun topic to do with humans and the explanation I gave. you may get engrossed with if you Google it.

"As the aborigines say you have three brains the first, is you're brain in the head it is the most useless (logic) it confesses thoughts you second guess. the 2nd is the heart it's emotion and feeling, 1st most useful is your gut (instinct) there's a reson that saying had stuck around for so long. Just think how many times you have been sat facing One Direction with a 360° surrounding, and you feel as though someone is looking at you, you turn your head and clap perfectly in line with a set of eyes looking at you now looking at them. That is instinct. Animal magnetism is also a fun topic to do with humans and the explanation I gave. you may get engrossed with if you Google it."

; logic Confusses things not confesses things;

"Instinct and gut feelings are within the subconscious mind. Every animal with a brain has this built in.

If that's true though, that instinct is a subconscious process, then what is the subconscious mind? Where does it exist? What controls it? Are there chemical processes happening and synapses firing that "effect" whatever is happening? Is that subconscious / instinct for people with for example dementure or brain injury affected? "

The subconscious mind is something that can be used against us by those who know how to intrap it, eg. Advisements, (pleasure of buying new things they make you belive you can't live without) also a subconscious dopamine fix. Arousal, showing skimpy girls in music videos, or underwear advisements, etc. And fear (the mainstream media) are just three ways we can be controlled by encompassing forces.

Psychology of the subconscious (book)

by Dr Carl Gustav Jung, A Study of the Transformations and Symbolisms of the Libido, a Contribution to the History of the Evolution of Thought will be a good read for anyone interested in the subconscious mind

"Instinct and gut feelings are within the subconscious mind. Every animal with a brain has this built in."

I don't think it is built in

More like instantaneous connections our brains make based on previous experience and any physiological symptoms are a result of the associated emotions

"Instinct and gut feelings are within the subconscious mind. Every animal with a brain has this built in.

More like instantaneous connections our brains make based on previous experience and any physiological symptoms are a result of the associated emotions "

I'd say it was built in, I'd say its a natural instinct built in to be scared of spiders, almost everybody is. Even if they live in a place with absolutely no life threatening spiders,

Unless they where taught not to be by experience, eg. Brave mum or dad, who would catch them and place them outside without harming them.

More like instantaneous connections our brains make based on previous experience and any physiological symptoms are a result of the associated emotions "

The consciousness mind is things we learn by experience, the subconscious mind is unknowable

The subconscious mind it what controls the vast majority of daily life. Everything you do without having to think about it. Think about when you drink, how much of that is automatic. Your mind has 3 different level all operating in different wave lengths.

Animals are no different

Depends on if you go with Freud or Yung

"The subconscious mind it what controls the vast majority of daily life. Everything you do without having to think about it. Think about when you drink, how much of that is automatic. Your mind has 3 different level all operating in different wave lengths.

Animals are no different"

Have you ever seen any of Darren browns (illusionist) TV programs who uses people who sign up for something different to what it actually is, gets the consent on the dotted line. Then implements different subconscious Thoughts into the applicants mind via various methods, on unsuspecting citizens to illustrate how easily behaviour can be manipulated. Influencing them to Rob a show, murder some one etc without having ever spoke to them in person, I dont know how much is just put on for TV but its an interesting theory

"The subconscious mind it what controls the vast majority of daily life. Everything you do without having to think about it. Think about when you drink, how much of that is automatic. Your mind has 3 different level all operating in different wave lengths.

Animals are no different

Have you ever seen any of Darren browns (illusionist) TV programs who uses people who sign up for something different to what it actually is, gets the consent on the dotted line. Then implements different subconscious Thoughts into the applicants mind via various methods, on unsuspecting citizens to illustrate how easily behaviour can be manipulated. Influencing them to Rob a show, murder some one etc without having ever spoke to them in person, I dont know how much is just put on for TV but its an interesting theory "

Rob a shop not a show *

Animals are no different

Have you ever seen any of Darren browns (illusionist) TV programs who uses people who sign up for something different to what it actually is, gets the consent on the dotted line. Then implements different subconscious Thoughts into the applicants mind via various methods, on unsuspecting citizens to illustrate how easily behaviour can be manipulated. Influencing them to Rob a show, murder some one etc without having ever spoke to them in person, I dont know how much is just put on for TV but its an interesting theory "

This is great example of someone who has mastered the art of influencing someone’s subconscious. I’ve seen him live a few times and it’s amazing as he does explain a few of the techniques he uses

Animals are no different

Have you ever seen any of Darren browns (illusionist) TV programs who uses people who sign up for something different to what it actually is, gets the consent on the dotted line. Then implements different subconscious Thoughts into the applicants mind via various methods, on unsuspecting citizens to illustrate how easily behaviour can be manipulated. Influencing them to Rob a show, murder some one etc without having ever spoke to them in person, I dont know how much is just put on for TV but its an interesting theory

This is great example of someone who has mastered the art of influencing someone’s subconscious. I’ve seen him live a few times and it’s amazing as he does explain a few of the techniques he uses "

Indeed I agree I'm glad what I said just so happens to have such a personal connection with you

Animals are no different

This is great example of someone who has mastered the art of influencing someone’s subconscious. I’ve seen him live a few times and it’s amazing as he does explain a few of the techniques he uses

Indeed I agree I'm glad what I said just so happens to have such a personal connection with you"

Have you heard of what Carl jung termed a synchronicity?

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

"I was watching a nature program last night... A little himalayan rat type thing was on.. Lives for about 5 years.. If.. And only if.. It forages and stuffs away enough food during the 3 month summer to last it through the 9 month winter... (I think much like we did during "loo roll" summer)...

It got me thinking... How the fxxx does a 3 month old himalayan rat type thing know they have to go and find food and stuff it below ground? Which got me thinking even more, how truly remarkable nature can be, with the things the animal kingdom does instinctively to survive. Which got me thinking even further... What on earth is this attribute of "instinct" and how does it develop? "

Nature really is incredible. We get a lot of Canada geese in our area, they fly here from Canada, breed, the babies grow like wildfire, and when they are a couple of months old they fly to Canada. Incredible when you think about it. Not just the instinct and routine, but the babies flying across the Atlantic!

Animals are no different

Indeed I agree I'm glad what I said just so happens to have such a personal connection with you

Have you heard of what Carl jung termed a synchronicity?"

That’s getting deep for fab now . But yes

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

More like instantaneous connections our brains make based on previous experience and any physiological symptoms are a result of the associated emotions

I'd say it was built in, I'd say its a natural instinct built in to be scared of spiders, almost everybody is. Even if they live in a place with absolutely no life threatening spiders,

Unless they where taught not to be by experience, eg. Brave mum or dad, who would catch them and place them outside without harming them. "

Yes, a certain amount is built in. And if we are lucky, that central system gets better snd better with experience. You develop a much stronger instinct for hazards and dangers for example. Driving would be a good example ... we learn as adults and you get better and better at spotting arseholes even before they have done something stupid. Brain registers an unexpected movement in the mirror, you might bring have even felt that you were consciously looking in the mirror, but sure enough there’s some arsehole weaving through traffic and trying to undertake

Animals are no different

That’s getting deep for fab now . But yes "

Fab always makes me go deep, they would have it no other way.

"That's similar to cuckoos knowing to lay eggs in other birds nests and loads of other 'instinctive' behaviour.

Slightly off topic, but this is also what I believe many ghost siteings to be. A memory that had imprinted on an ancestors and past down, to later be trigger by some event or location. "

Interesting. The ghost thing.

Tin town

Animals are no different

Have you heard of what Carl jung termed a synchronicity?"

No but I got the police album of the same name.. Any help?

By *onb21Woman  over a year ago

Cardiff

I think there's something called genetic memory? This probably accounts for some of the behaviour.

I think it is proven with enough evidence that experience is not passed on through genes.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The consciousness mind is things we learn by experience, the subconscious mind is unknowable "

A better way of viewing it could be that our conscious mind is what we're paying attention ro at any point - which is obviously flexible, as we shift our focus. Conversely, the non-conscious mind is everything else.

Our conscious and non-conscious minds don't have an absolute break between them, they're a conceptual split. What we give conscious attention to can become influenced by us, we can take decisions on new goals, changes etc. Our autonomic nervous system processes aren't typically within our conscious attention, our physiological systems are managed extraordinarily well, without our thinking processes. Some people do get some forms of conscious attention and control of them though.

Evolutionary processes are wonderful things - advantageous changes are more likely to be retained, whilst the opposite are not.

Humans are just aanother animal and we are as adapted and influenced by instinct as others are. We're also able to self-reflect and communicate, possibly to a greater extent than other species - this may lead us to be under greater pressure to resist instinctive responses to triggers.

Whilst the genetics aren't that fully undrrstood yet for the instinctive behavioural processes, there are likely to be some that lead to emotional drives spurring us to get a different emotional payoff, once we fulfill those urges. Many things will be fleeting momentary activities. Others will be more complex and drawnout.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Slightly off topic, but this is also what I believe many ghost siteings to be. A memory that had imprinted on an ancestors and past down, to later be trigger by some event or location.

I think it is proven with enough evidence that experience is not passed on through genes."

It's still subject to some debate, following the proposal that Jewish descendants of Holocaust victims had been subject to those earlier traumatic influences.

Like many things, more research evidence can challenge the older results.

"I was watching a nature program last night... A little himalayan rat type thing was on.. Lives for about 5 years.. If.. And only if.. It forages and stuffs away enough food during the 3 month summer to last it through the 9 month winter... (I think much like we did during "loo roll" summer)...

It got me thinking... How the fxxx does a 3 month old himalayan rat type thing know they have to go and find food and stuff it below ground? Which got me thinking even more, how truly remarkable nature can be, with the things the animal kingdom does instinctively to survive. Which got me thinking even further... What on earth is this attribute of "instinct" and how does it develop? "

It's not really any more amazing than a baby being born "knowing" how to regulate its heart rate, breathing, blood sugar, adrenaline and dozens of other bodily systems. Instinctive behaviour is no different except that the actions are external to the body. Instinct is simply behaviour that is genetically coded.

What is more amazing is that we believe so much of human behaviour is controlled by our conscious mind ...

Mr

"I think the empathy elephants show towards each other is amazing. There’s so much to learn from nature of only you take the time to stop and take it in "

Indeed.

Look deep within. Reflection,look around ponder how and why nature is as is.

And many other things are so imbalanced.

We humans have the mind.sense,heart more combinations and skills than any other creation yet we are so far behind ...

Why?

Same reason most babies are born with an inate fear of snakes and to a lesser extent spiders

"I think the empathy elephants show towards each other is amazing. There’s so much to learn from nature of only you take the time to stop and take it in

Indeed.

We humans have the mind.sense,heart more combinations and skills than any other creation yet we are so far behind ...

Why? "

What are we far behind? I've never known an elephant devote it's life to the study of congenital heart defects in order to save baby ekephants. I do know though that, like humans and indeed all mammals, elephantshave personalities. Some are loners, some are born leaders, some are caring, some are dangerous and unpredictably violent (these tend to be male - particularly when in musth when they become dangerous to everyone and everything.

Mr

"As the aborigines say you have three brains the first, is you're brain in the head it is the most useless (logic) it confesses thoughts you second guess. the 2nd is the heart it's emotion and feeling, 1st most useful is your gut (instinct) there's a reson that saying had stuck around for so long. Just think how many times you have been sat facing One Direction with a 360° surrounding, and you feel as though someone is looking at you, you turn your head and clap perfectly in line with a set of eyes looking at you now looking at them. That is instinct. Animal magnetism is also a fun topic to do with humans and the explanation I gave. you may get engrossed with if you Google it."

"I think the empathy elephants show towards each other is amazing. There’s so much to learn from nature of only you take the time to stop and take it in

Indeed.

Why?

What are we far behind? I've never known an elephant devote it's life to the study of congenital heart defects in order to save baby ekephants. I do know though that, like humans and indeed all mammals, elephantshave personalities. Some are loners, some are born leaders, some are caring, some are dangerous and unpredictably violent (these tend to be male - particularly when in musth when they become dangerous to everyone and everything.

Mr"

Dont worry, be happy.

We all have our own very mind.

Think and feel away. Opinions likes dislikes shall go on and on.

Live and let live.

Animals are no different

No but I got the police album of the same name.. Any help? "

There's no such thing as a coincidence. Only sometimes

The consciousness mind is things we learn by experience, the subconscious mind is unknowable

A better way of viewing it could be that our conscious mind is what we're paying attention ro at any point - which is obviously flexible, as we shift our focus. Conversely, the non-conscious mind is everything else.

Our conscious and non-conscious minds don't have an absolute break between them, they're a conceptual split. What we give conscious attention to can become influenced by us, we can take decisions on new goals, changes etc. Our autonomic nervous system processes aren't typically within our conscious attention, our physiological systems are managed extraordinarily well, without our thinking processes. Some people do get some forms of conscious attention and control of them though.

Evolutionary processes are wonderful things - advantageous changes are more likely to be retained, whilst the opposite are not.

Humans are just aanother animal and we are as adapted and influenced by instinct as others are. We're also able to self-reflect and communicate, possibly to a greater extent than other species - this may lead us to be under greater pressure to resist instinctive responses to triggers.

Whilst the genetics aren't that fully undrrstood yet for the instinctive behavioural processes, there are likely to be some that lead to emotional drives spurring us to get a different emotional payoff, once we fulfill those urges. Many things will be fleeting momentary activities. Others will be more complex and drawnout. "

This was very well thought out, a good read ineed

» Add a new message to this topic