FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > FORUM CRAP RUNNERS- W/C 18/10/21

FORUM CRAP RUNNERS- W/C 18/10/21

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ea monkey OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

MOTTO: We run #LikeAToddlerChasingAPug

EXPLANATION AND ETHOS:

EVERYONE is welcome in the Fab Crap Runners' Club (the crapper the better).

From 1st January 2018, a bunch of Fabbers began improving their fitness through running. None of them were natural athletes but they did it anyway.

FOR COMPLETE BEGINNERS:

"Couch to 5k" (C25K) is a nine-week running programme for absolute beginners, available on various free phone apps (Mrs T used Get Running). But you can join this thread to get fit by any means including walking and cycling - all are welcome. If you're expecting to be utterly crap at it (I mean reeeeeeeeeally bad), you're in the right place. Join the thread, tell us what your aim is and we'll cheer you on each week, just for trying.

FOR MORE EXPERIENCED RUNNERS:

Tell us what you’re up to with your running, your training and your races. Let’s us know your highs and lows. Please cheer on the newbies and give advice if they ask.

Finally- if you’re working towards a specific goal, share it here

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wist my nipplesCouple  over a year ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Ah, after a couple of weeks of no running due to illness hoping to get back out this week! Thanks TM x

By *mma29Couple  over a year ago

wirral

I've done 3 runs so far and I suck! Not going to give up but I wonder if I'll ever be able to run without feeling like in going to die

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I've done 3 runs so far and I suck! Not going to give up but I wonder if I'll ever be able to run without feeling like in going to die "

Three runs is very early days! Don't worry about doing run-walk if you need to. It will get easier with time and practice.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

Hello crap runners!

Please don't worry if you're reading this and thinking "nah, I'm not sub 25ing it or running ultras, this thread isn't for me". It is, proficiency isn't an entry requirement. Taking part is.

So, my update. Went out for first waddle since catching SuperCold. Managed 4k and then had an asthma attack. I've now injured myself yet again (gruesome leg photo available on request) so I'm thinking I might do some low impact swimming before I make the earth shake with my jogs once more.

wirral

"I've done 3 runs so far and I suck! Not going to give up but I wonder if I'll ever be able to run without feeling like in going to die

Three runs is very early days! Don't worry about doing run-walk if you need to. It will get easier with time and practice."

I do that haha but my 3rd run was the worst one out of the 3, I thought I'd be able to run further and further each time! I haven't ever ran properly though so hoping I get into it

"I've done 3 runs so far and I suck! Not going to give up but I wonder if I'll ever be able to run without feeling like in going to die

Three runs is very early days! Don't worry about doing run-walk if you need to. It will get easier with time and practice.

I do that haha but my 3rd run was the worst one out of the 3, I thought I'd be able to run further and further each time! I haven't ever ran properly though so hoping I get into it"

You are better off running the same or shorter distances for your first few weeks so you don’t get an overuse injury.. slowly build up they say no more than 10% more for each run

"Hello crap runners!

Please don't worry if you're reading this and thinking "nah, I'm not sub 25ing it or running ultras, this thread isn't for me". It is, proficiency isn't an entry requirement. Taking part is.

So, my update. Went out for first waddle since catching SuperCold. Managed 4k and then had an asthma attack. I've now injured myself yet again (gruesome leg photo available on request) so I'm thinking I might do some low impact swimming before I make the earth shake with my jogs once more."

Ouch, sorry about your leg mishap. Swimming good low impact alternative. I need to start swimming again more regularly.

By *unning-ManMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

did a 20 mile race Saturday after not doing any training in a long time, walking is so overrated on a Monday lol

Manchester (he/him)

"I've done 3 runs so far and I suck! Not going to give up but I wonder if I'll ever be able to run without feeling like in going to die "

You will do!

Are you doing the C25K? If you’re a beginner, I heartily recommend it. That’s how many get into it and it’s great. That’s how I started.

One day it will click and you’ll feel like you’re flying

Manchester (he/him)

I do that haha but my 3rd run was the worst one out of the 3, I thought I'd be able to run further and further each time! I haven't ever ran properly though so hoping I get into it

You are better off running the same or shorter distances for your first few weeks so you don’t get an overuse injury.. slowly build up they say no more than 10% more for each run "

10% increase per week.

Don’t try to push too hard, your body needs time to adapt and learn to do what you want. Your fitness is always about 2-3 weeks behind what you’re doing so give it time

Manchester (he/him)

"Hello crap runners!

So, my update. Went out for first waddle since catching SuperCold. Managed 4k and then had an asthma attack. I've now injured myself yet again (gruesome leg photo available on request) so I'm thinking I might do some low impact swimming before I make the earth shake with my jogs once more."

Ouch!

Maybe swimming is a good idea until your injury is better

I did a 10 mile run yesterday morning at marathon pace and I felt good.

Tapering this week, just 2x 3 mile runs at easy effort pace and plenty of rest.

We have a massage booked for tomorrow, have a programme of daily stretches, we have meals planned to carb load us and pre event preparation has begun.

Our marathon is on Sunday, so far the long range weather forecasts 40% chance of some showers, I am content with that.

Fingers crossed for a great run

NBVN x

wirral

You are better off running the same or shorter distances for your first few weeks so you don’t get an overuse injury.. slowly build up they say no more than 10% more for each run

10% increase per week.

Don’t try to push too hard, your body needs time to adapt and learn to do what you want. Your fitness is always about 2-3 weeks behind what you’re doing so give it time "

Thanks for the tips guys, think I'll try the couch to 5k thing and get an app

"I did a 10 mile run yesterday morning at marathon pace and I felt good.

We have a massage booked for tomorrow, have a programme of daily stretches, we have meals planned to carb load us and pre event preparation has begun.

Our marathon is on Sunday, so far the long range weather forecasts 40% chance of some showers, I am content with that.

NBVN x"

Good luck!

Manchester (he/him)

NBVN x"

That’s great! How are you feeling?

Manchester (he/him)

It’s Monday so the start of another training week!

An easy 6.5k tonight which felt ok-ish. I think that Wednesday will be where I start to build some speed training in, I hate fartleks!

NBVN x

That’s great! How are you feeling? "

I feel good in relation to the run and am well prepared physically, mentally I know its going to get harder the more miles I run and I accept that, and will try my best to get myself through those very hard times when your brain sends horrible signals and your mind goes into negative mode.

I am currently in practical mode making lists, getting kit ready, thinking of food prior to the race etc.... yes in truth I am nervous especially when I catch myself sat on the sofa thinking of the event and my stomach is tensed up

I just need to remember to enjoy the run, relax and put one foot in front of the other for as long as I can

NBVN x

Manchester (he/him)

NBVN x

I feel good in relation to the run and am well prepared physically, mentally I know its going to get harder the more miles I run and I accept that, and will try my best to get myself through those very hard times when your brain sends horrible signals and your mind goes into negative mode.

I am currently in practical mode making lists, getting kit ready, thinking of food prior to the race etc.... yes in truth I am nervous especially when I catch myself sat on the sofa thinking of the event and my stomach is tensed up

I just need to remember to enjoy the run, relax and put one foot in front of the other for as long as I can

NBVN x"

It sounds like you’ve got it all under control in terms of the physical aspects and you know what needs to be done mentally.

I really wish you all of the success on Sunday!

I guess the nervous anticipation is all part of the build up and part of taper too! If it were simple and straightforward, it wouldn’t be such a challenge and everyone would do it!

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

NBVN x

NBVN x"

Good luck with it, I am confident you will smash it. You've trained hard and you seem mentally strong so go and get it bossed.

Good luck and enjoy!

NBVN x

NBVN x

It sounds like you’ve got it all under control in terms of the physical aspects and you know what needs to be done mentally.

I really wish you all of the success on Sunday!

I guess the nervous anticipation is all part of the build up and part of taper too! If it were simple and straightforward, it wouldn’t be such a challenge and everyone would do it! "

Thank you so much x

NBVN x

NBVN x

Good luck with it, I am confident you will smash it. You've trained hard and you seem mentally strong so go and get it bossed.

Good luck and enjoy!

"

Thanks my lovely, I will try my best x

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Slow down if you are too hard on yourself you will only give up.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

You are better off running the same or shorter distances for your first few weeks so you don’t get an overuse injury.. slowly build up they say no more than 10% more for each run "

Bad advice keep the distance just slow down break in to 10 minute intervals of run then walk when feeling stronger change 10 minutes run 5 walks will take at least 6 weeks.

wirral

Bad advice keep the distance just slow down break in to 10 minute intervals of run then walk when feeling stronger change 10 minutes run 5 walks will take at least 6 weeks."

Thanks for the advice it's good to know it just takes time...I've never consistently kept at it but I'd love to be able to go on a run with my partner and be able to keep up with him and have a conversation whilst running

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Talking about crap runners. I've done about 6 Half's and about 10 10ks.

Anyway I was in the Cardiff 10k a few weeks ago. I collapsed at 6.08 miles at 40 mins then apparently got up and finished the race and collided with the medal table.

This caused a badly bruised chest and a rather nasty finger dislocation ending me in A and E until mid evening

"Talking about crap runners. I've done about 6 Half's and about 10 10ks.

Anyway I was in the Cardiff 10k a few weeks ago. I collapsed at 6.08 miles at 40 mins then apparently got up and finished the race and collided with the medal table.

This caused a badly bruised chest and a rather nasty finger dislocation ending me in A and E until mid evening"

That’s brutal mate hope you were ok.. we’re you on for a PB a 40 min ten km is good

"Talking about crap runners. I've done about 6 Half's and about 10 10ks.

This caused a badly bruised chest and a rather nasty finger dislocation ending me in A and E until mid evening"

Oh no so sorry to read this. I hope you're recovering well.

NBVN x

Manchester (he/him)

How are people getting on?

If you’ve started C25K, how’s it going?

Any race preparations happening?

Who’s doing park run this weekend?

I managed my week 8 28 x minute run fairly smoothly this morning, I didn't stop at all. I wasn't fast, particularly at the end, and I was puffing and panting, but I don't care. I did it all without any stops at all. I've struggled with this one, previously I had dropped my head phones the other day and lost my mojo looking for them in the dark, it was cold and I had a headache another day. But today I foooooooking did it. I've want to do it one more time before I move onto 30 minutes. There's another thread which discusses music for running too, well I got thinking and put the Can Can by Bad Manners on my playlist and I'm not kidding it gee'd me along this morning when I was flagging. My next and last 28 minutes is on Sunday morning.

Who knows, I might do a 5k run for charity (I work for a charity so I'd do it for them) when I'm feeling confident.

By *racknellboy1971Man  over a year ago

Bracknell

I ran the London marathon a few weeks back. Best running experience ever!!! Even when the body was telling me to give up, the support from the crowds was amazing!!

Parkrun number 150 odd tomorrow

"I managed my week 8 28 x minute run fairly smoothly this morning, I didn't stop at all. I wasn't fast, particularly at the end, and I was puffing and panting, but I don't care. I did it all without any stops at all. I've struggled with this one, previously I had dropped my head phones the other day and lost my mojo looking for them in the dark, it was cold and I had a headache another day. But today I foooooooking did it. I've want to do it one more time before I move onto 30 minutes. There's another thread which discusses music for running too, well I got thinking and put the Can Can by Bad Manners on my playlist and I'm not kidding it gee'd me along this morning when I was flagging. My next and last 28 minutes is on Sunday morning.

Who knows, I might do a 5k run for charity (I work for a charity so I'd do it for them) when I'm feeling confident. "

I read this with such a smile on my face, it's fantastic to hear someone is enjoying their running particularly when they have experienced the lows too. I can relate so much to this

Hope you have a great run on Sunday.

NBVN x

My marathon is on Sunday and my training is completed. I have had a massage from a physio, am resting my legs, drinking lots of fluids, carb loading and mentally preparing myself.

I feel good and am just thinking of it as another long training run. My playlist is updated with lots of songs from fab peeps which will give me a helping hand when it starts to get hard.

I hope all runners have a great run this weekend

NBVN x

Did a 20k trail race last Saturday- was knackered- but it was great. Looking forward to my next half marathon trail race.

Manchester (he/him)

"I managed my week 8 28 x minute run fairly smoothly this morning, I didn't stop at all. I wasn't fast, particularly at the end, and I was puffing and panting, but I don't care. I did it all without any stops at all. I've struggled with this one, previously I had dropped my head phones the other day and lost my mojo looking for them in the dark, it was cold and I had a headache another day. But today I foooooooking did it. I've want to do it one more time before I move onto 30 minutes. There's another thread which discusses music for running too, well I got thinking and put the Can Can by Bad Manners on my playlist and I'm not kidding it gee'd me along this morning when I was flagging. My next and last 28 minutes is on Sunday morning.

Who knows, I might do a 5k run for charity (I work for a charity so I'd do it for them) when I'm feeling confident. "

Yes!! You’ve nailed it, well done!

I remember that feeling of achievement that comes with finishing those long runs and it’s huge.

Congratulations!

Manchester (he/him)

"I ran the London marathon a few weeks back. Best running experience ever!!! Even when the body was telling me to give up, the support from the crowds was amazing!!

Parkrun number 150 odd tomorrow "

Excellent! Well done

Manchester (he/him)

"My marathon is on Sunday and my training is completed. I have had a massage from a physio, am resting my legs, drinking lots of fluids, carb loading and mentally preparing myself.

I feel good and am just thinking of it as another long training run. My playlist is updated with lots of songs from fab peeps which will give me a helping hand when it starts to get hard.

NBVN x"

Good luck!!

Parkrun tomorrow. Coldest so far this year but hopefully dry as the route gets quite boggy in places.

Manchester (he/him)

"Did a 20k trail race last Saturday- was knackered- but it was great. Looking forward to my next half marathon trail race."

Excellent!

Trail running is something else and something that I struggle with, uneven ground I find worrying, so I can’t even imagine doing a half marathon on trails!

Well done!

Manchester (he/him)

"Parkrun tomorrow. Coldest so far this year but hopefully dry as the route gets quite boggy in places."

Fingers crossed it goes well for you.

I’m thinking of maybe trying a local one tomorrow, I’ll see how I feel first thing

A good training week for me but tomorrow not running- volunteering instead sometimes it's good to give back

Best of luck to NBVN for Sunday and everyone else for their personal goals

By *evonshireboyMan  over a year ago

North Devon

I managed a 10k in absolutely biblical rain on Tuesday night. It was hard to breathe without drowning the rain was that heavy.

This weekend I'm leading a motley crew of runners around a muddy trail run. Hopefully they will all make it home.

I've managed to become the defacto weekend group leader somehow, so now have to sort a new route out for everyone each weekend

"A good training week for me but tomorrow not running- volunteering instead sometimes it's good to give back

Best of luck to NBVN for Sunday and everyone else for their personal goals "

Thank you my lovely

NBVN x

"My marathon is on Sunday and my training is completed. I have had a massage from a physio, am resting my legs, drinking lots of fluids, carb loading and mentally preparing myself.

NBVN x

Good luck!! "

Thank you TM

NBVN x

"A good training week for me but tomorrow not running- volunteering instead sometimes it's good to give back

Thank you my lovely

NBVN x"

Oh yes ! Very best wishes

Best of luck to NBVN for Sunday and everyone else for their personal goals "

Thank you Marshall.

Thank you my lovely

NBVN x

Oh yes ! Very best wishes "

Thank you so much

NBVN x

By *iceButtSlimMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

Don't worry I couldn't even complete my first attempt at the run/walk stage of the c2k back in April, I struggled with the breathing, needing an hour to recover, ended up trying a month later with warmer weather.

Now I'm happily running for over 30 minutes 3 times a week and it doesn't take me very long to recover either.

Stick at it,the overall feeling does improve and I'm glad I started it, just got to stick with it during the cold weather now.

Parkrun done, new PB at 27.30

Manchester (he/him)

"Parkrun done, new PB at 27.30 "

Boom! Well done!

"Parkrun done, new PB at 27.30

Boom! Well done! "

Thanks Tea !

Manchester (he/him)

In the interests of updates,

I’ve completed two of my three runs this week, the second one was 30 seconds per km faster than before! I’m now hitting about 6 mins p/k which was around my marathon pace a few years ago. I’m pleased with how quickly my fitness is returning and how my body is responding but my ankle is still not right.

At some point today or tomorrow I’m going to head out for my third of the week

Bracknell

Heavy Parkrun this morning. Waiting for the text but I think it’ll be around 26:30 as I started my watch from home

Brag post! I got sub25 at parkrun this morning. I'm buzzing!

"Parkrun done, new PB at 27.30 "

Yessss! Well done!

Massive good luck vibes tomorrow NBVN. Xx

"Parkrun done, new PB at 27.30

Yessss! Well done! "

Thank you and sub 25 definitely worth a brag

"Brag post! I got sub25 at parkrun this morning. I'm buzzing! "

Oh wow well done to you, awesome achievement

NBVN x

"Massive good luck vibes tomorrow NBVN. Xx"

Thank you so much my lovely, I am feeling the positive vibes from everyone and it really is wonderful.

NBVN x

Manchester (he/him)

Whooop! That’s something to brag about

By *xydadbodMan  over a year ago

Milton keynes

I've been running for nearly 4 years now. Been maintaining running 15k twice a week or at least once a week. Been trying to improve my time to under an hour but so far my best is an hour and 18 mins. Been choosing routes that have lots of uphill to make my runs tougher but we will get there some day

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Not exactly running, but this week I towed 100kg behind my wheelchair on the prowler in the gym. My shoulders definitely felt it afterwards! Did 2x runs with it along the indoor track (there + back x2)

Yay, it was the Friday night prep

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"I've been running for nearly 4 years now. Been maintaining running 15k twice a week or at least once a week. Been trying to improve my time to under an hour but so far my best is an hour and 18 mins. Been choosing routes that have lots of uphill to make my runs tougher but we will get there some day "

15k on an hour is a very hard target and a massive achievement when you get there.

Mr

"Brag post! I got sub25 at parkrun this morning. I'm buzzing!

Yay, it was the Friday night prep "

You're my lucky charm

Yay, it was the Friday night prep

You're my lucky charm "

Manchester (he/him)

"I've been running for nearly 4 years now. Been maintaining running 15k twice a week or at least once a week. Been trying to improve my time to under an hour but so far my best is an hour and 18 mins. Been choosing routes that have lots of uphill to make my runs tougher but we will get there some day "

That’s some serious ambition, I hope that you achieve it

Manchester (he/him)

"Not exactly running, but this week I towed 100kg behind my wheelchair on the prowler in the gym. My shoulders definitely felt it afterwards! Did 2x runs with it along the indoor track (there + back x2) "

Amazing, well done!

By *ertsDrewMan  over a year ago

Hitchin

I recommend the new Henlow Bridge Lakes Parkrun for anyone nearby. Yesterday was 5th race at this location. Flat, fast, course. Certainly better than the hill finish at Fairlands Lakes!

Got my best time this year 00:24:35

Manchester (he/him)

"I recommend the new Henlow Bridge Lakes Parkrun for anyone nearby. Yesterday was 5th race at this location. Flat, fast, course. Certainly better than the hill finish at Fairlands Lakes!

Got my best time this year 00:24:35

"

That’s brilliant! Well done

What about a fast walk instead of a crap run?

I might be able to manage

By *he_Wite_NiteMan  over a year ago

Usually Dundee and around

Well done!

Go you!

Next time, sub-25 in a tutu?

By *he_Wite_NiteMan  over a year ago

Usually Dundee and around

NBVN x"

How did you get on with the Marathon?

Well done!

Go you!

Next time, sub-25 in a tutu? "

Haha! Maybe at Christmas

Manchester (he/him)

I went for a run at lunchtime today and managed a sub 30 5k for the first time in 3 years!

I was pretty chuffed!

"I went for a run at lunchtime today and managed a sub 30 5k for the first time in 3 years!

I was pretty chuffed! "

Yay! The cooler weather helps a lot, doesn't it?!

Manchester (he/him)

"I went for a run at lunchtime today and managed a sub 30 5k for the first time in 3 years!

I was pretty chuffed!

Yay! The cooler weather helps a lot, doesn't it?! "

In motivating me to get the hell back inside? Pretty much!

I was pretty chuffed!

In motivating me to get the hell back inside? Pretty much! "

Haha! Well yes, there's that. I find I usually get my PBs when the weather is cooler.

Manchester (he/him)

I was pretty chuffed!

In motivating me to get the hell back inside? Pretty much!

Haha! Well yes, there's that. I find I usually get my PBs when the weather is cooler. "

All of mine have come in the height of summer!

Thank you Marshall."

Haha I made a splendid one and I'm helping again soon.. would love to do some photography too at some point and some park run tourism lots of plans.

I was pretty chuffed! "

Alright Mr Bolt!

Fantastic feeling to get there!

"What about a fast walk instead of a crap run?

I might be able to manage "

I started as a fast walker. Go go go !

Fabulous ! )

I was pretty chuffed! "

Great going Tea.

Hitchin

"

"

Well keep it up Tuberose. Judging by your latest pictures it's doing amazing things for your legs!

"

Well keep it up Tuberose. Judging by your latest pictures it's doing amazing things for your legs!

"

Haha... that would be quite shallow motivation but I'll take it as a pleasant side effect.

Thanks. Are you joining us?

I’ve taken the leap and signed up for a Ironman

By *xydadbodMan  over a year ago

Milton keynes

"I’ve taken the leap and signed up for a Ironman "

Thats awesome bud

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/1223847

I didnt notice the date but here is the new thread for this week ^^

Hitchin

"

Haha... that would be quite shallow motivation but I'll take it as a pleasant side effect.

Thanks. Are you joining us?"

Well I was a regular runner prior to lockdown(s) and part of Mrs Ts original group. I lost my mojo a bit running around soulless cycle tracks in Stevenage last year. But I'm back and managed a sub 25 Parkrun last Saturday.

But if I was running at the location at as you what possible incentive would I have to overtake you!

Cheers mate,

Got nearly a year to train so got to get head down.

"I’ve taken the leap and signed up for a Ironman

Thats awesome bud "

Bracknell

Just home from 7.7 miles.. any Strava users on here or is a bit too personal lol?

» Add a new message to this topic