Death

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *topthepress OP   Man  over a year ago

MANCHESTER

Do people over react to the death of people they don't know

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

Occasionally. I have been shocked and saddened at some news items. Sometimes a famous entertainer dying makes me sad.

MANCHESTER

Yea I get that but it's things like people bringing flowers or candles or having a vigil I understand family and friends can be devastated by the death of a loved one but what's it to anyone else

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Definitely, usually spun up into a state of hysteria by the media, although it's often the circumstances rather than the individual unless they are a popular celebrity or similar. England & Wales averages over half a million deaths annually (pre-covid).

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Yea I get that but it's things like people bringing flowers or candles or having a vigil I understand family and friends can be devastated by the death of a loved one but what's it to anyone else"

I don’t think I’d go to something like that but I totally get why people do. People fly from all over the world when a Royal dies to pay their respects. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I often feel sad when a celebrity dies but not to the extent of tears or wanting to go anywhere.

I never got the floral tribute thing. Donate some cash to a charity instead. I don't go to funerals of people I know let alone strangers.

"I never got the floral tribute thing. Donate some cash to a charity instead. I don't go to funerals of people I know let alone strangers."

I hate funerals. I have been to three out of duty, one out of loss. I won't be at mine.

MANCHESTER

Must admit did shed a tear when David Bowie died

"I never got the floral tribute thing. Donate some cash to a charity instead. I don't go to funerals of people I know let alone strangers."

Buying flowers does help some people stay in business and hence jobs. That's there.

From a personal perspective, I don't get emotional on death of some celebrity that I don't know personally. But I do understand that it can affect some people more than others.

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Maybe they can relate to it, as in an experience they've had and it brings back those thoughts and feelings.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"

I hate funerals. I have been to three out of duty, one out of loss. I won't be at mine."

Where will you be ?

"

I hate funerals. I have been to three out of duty, one out of loss. I won't be at mine.

Where will you be ?"

Somewhere else.

Leeds

"

Where will you be ?

Somewhere else."

So wouldn't it be a memorial service rather than a funeral ?

By *r Discreet 75Man  over a year ago

LIVERPOOL

I think we all react some people don't care which is still a reaction some people get upset

"I never got the floral tribute thing. Donate some cash to a charity instead. I don't go to funerals of people I know let alone strangers.

Buying flowers does help some people stay in business and hence jobs. That's there."

So whatvyour saying is that there is a cabal of florists killing the rich and famous to increase sales?

Ohhh I love a conspiracy theory ;-p

"I never got the floral tribute thing. Donate some cash to a charity instead. I don't go to funerals of people I know let alone strangers.

I hate funerals. I have been to three out of duty, one out of loss. I won't be at mine."

Only went to one. My bestfriends mum. Heartbreaking to see loved one in so much pain. I vowed never again. Same goes for prisons, hospitals weddings and christenings.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

People that are in the spotlight all time think we feel like we know them! X

"

Where will you be ?

Somewhere else.

So wouldn't it be a memorial service rather than a funeral ?"

Picky, picky..

Diana is the best example…

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Do people over react to the death of people they don't know "

Yes.

there have been a few celebrity deaths where i heve though 'oh, thats really sad', but none i have physically cried over (Robin Williams, Steve Irwin etc).

Others have been shocking, either suicides or murders.

i am quite an emotional person and do actually cry at films and storylines (not sure what it says about me getting more upset at Dirty Den getting shot on eastenders than an actual person losing their life )

but then again i dont think i ever properly cried after losing grandparents. i kind of switch in to helper/doer mode and look after those who are really upset.

It’s not something I’ve understood. If they are not known to you in a personal capacity, what impact does it have? What’s the connection or feeling of loss? Is it more a reality check of our own mortality?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Yea I get that but it's things like people bringing flowers or candles or having a vigil I understand family and friends can be devastated by the death of a loved one but what's it to anyone else"

the only time i did that was when Diana died but that was more because everyone else was doing it. me and some friends went to Campbell Park in Milton Keynes for a candle lit vigil. We were still in school so werent really aware of everything that was going on.

"Maybe they can relate to it, as in an experience they've had and it brings back those thoughts and feelings. "

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I don't think so. Unless is't faked hysteria to make a 'political correctness' point.

People we do not know can still have meaning to us. When you're young and you assume you'll live forever, if someone your age dies it can make you think twice and upset you.

When famous musicians die it can hurt because their music has some meaning in your life.

The way someone dies can have an impact on you. If it's shocking, like the recent MP, or of something that you lost a loved one too etc.

My opinions only

no, only prople who have been in my life, otherwise why would i care?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

It's post Princess Diana Syndrome.

Prior to that there had been nothing like it what so ever except for the mourning of Kings and Queens and other heads of state.

Crowds of crying people because they bought into media hype didn't exist before that.

If anything we maintained strong outer personnas.

Makes me puke at times to see people 'basking' in the image they try to present to others.

( The mourning strangers I mean. Not the deceased )

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What i'm saying is ........

The VAST majority of thumbs up thumbs down people and red beating emoji hearts couldn't give a tuppeny fuck ......

It's all façade at the touch of a button and aren't you lovely for caring ... awwwwwwwwww

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

Chadwick Boseman was last time I was shocked by a death as he died still young and of cancer.

Buying flowers does help some people stay in business and hence jobs. That's there.

So whatvyour saying is that there is a cabal of florists killing the rich and famous to increase sales?

Ohhh I love a conspiracy theory ;-p "

Ha ha. Not that. It was meant as a reply to "Donate cash to charity instead" I see nothing wrong with someone spending their money to buy something they can afford. It will anyway help people whose jobs depend on it. Charity is great too. Whatever floats their boat.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Some people overreact but that’s how they are. What makes a crowd. Though mobs can be unreasonably nasty.

With mourning fashions change. Look at the Victorians. Positively revelled in death. But I do think the press love making us all beat ourselves up over the deaths of celebrities.

Though death is inevitable too many die to young and in sad obscurity. That makes me weep.

The only celebrity death that ever affected me was the passing of Carrie Fisher. Still gutted now.

Death is a peculiar lady yet so consistent. She is to be respected not feared.

Leeds

"

Death is a peculiar lady yet so consistent. She is to be respected not feared. "

I don't feel death is consistent and I think death is to be feared if you are healthy and of sound mind.

"It's post Princess Diana Syndrome.

Prior to that there had been nothing like it what so ever except for the mourning of Kings and Queens and other heads of state.

Crowds of crying people because they bought into media hype didn't exist before that.

If anything we maintained strong outer personnas.

Makes me puke at times to see people 'basking' in the image they try to present to others.

( The mourning strangers I mean. Not the deceased )

"

Completely agree Granny and the age of social media has exacerbated that.

We lost my father in law to cancer on the day Jade Goody died.

My sister in law (brothers wife) was on Facebook with her twee crap and lighting imaginary candles in memory of Jade, which is fine do that if that what makes you happy but don't show false sentiments to someone you don't know while ignoring the pain of those you do

That is what sickens me when piss all over the pain of people they know to lay false claim to those they don't

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I think it’s a hard one to say yes or no to. We don’t know the impact or influence that someone has had on a person, even if they’ve never met them personally.

One example was the death of Jack Lemmon. I’d never met him, didn’t know him but through my early formative years I looked up to him as an example of a great actor. When he died I was absolutely crushed that my idol had gone. He had touched my life in a way that I hadn’t understood and that he hadn’t known but that was very personal and the grief was real.

It’s easy to dismiss others emotions as overreacting if you don’t understand them

There's a tree in a park in Brooklin dedicated to a guy out of my favourite band as he used to work in the parks department. I'd like to visit it. I guess if stuff is done genuinely then fair enough but if it's done to be seen in a certain way then it's a bit fake really.

"

Death is a peculiar lady yet so consistent. She is to be respected not feared.

I don't feel death is consistent and I think death is to be feared if you are healthy and of sound mind. "

Of course she’s consistent. She’s always there at the end.

Leeds

"

"

Yes very true

Gutted about princess Di

But never knew her…

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It's strange to me that people are emotional about the death of people who they don't know.

Not everyone is the same tnough.

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

"Gutted about princess Di

But never knew her…"

I was too. George Michael and Amy Winehouses deaths saddened me but Lady Di was a bigger shock.

Ohhh I love a conspiracy theory ;-p "

a week before diana died my friend sold his london flower shop and brought shares in a minefield company

By *ose and her beastCouple  over a year ago

Watford

Id say so but some have really affected me like Robin Williams and chester Bennington got me through alot of tough times Alan Rickman was taken far too early too

"

Yes very true"

Bit of a slut though. She's fucked everyone.

Depends how it effects you I suppose. Death of an 89 year old who died peacefully in their sleep, wouldn’t get a tear. Death of a child, death of a young person, a mother, father with young children, I’d get teary eyed.

Emotions are complex things and there’s no one size fits all answer to what triggers them.

Maybe. Depends what these people symbolise to you. I don't get the celebrities cult but if it was someone whose music or writing for example influenced my life, then yes I'd feel a wave of some emotions.

» Add a new message to this topic