FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Builders, why?

Builders, why?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is there a need to use huge mofo nails for skirting boards? Even had four of the buggers in one place.

I imagine them laughing and thinking to themselves, those buggers are never coming off without a fight

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Is there a need to use huge mofo nails for skirting boards? Even had four of the buggers in one place.

I imagine them laughing and thinking to themselves, those buggers are never coming off without a fight "

It’s called ‘structural skirting board’ in the trade.

Make sure your floor Is held down with something else before removing it.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Is there a need to use huge mofo nails for skirting boards? Even had four of the buggers in one place.

I imagine them laughing and thinking to themselves, those buggers are never coming off without a fight

Make sure your floor Is held down with something else before removing it. "

The floors are concrete

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I imagine them laughing and thinking to themselves, those buggers are never coming off without a fight "

I live in a Westbury house, we’ll be lucky if the skirtings are held down by anything more than a wing and a prayer

I think you are talking about cut nails! They were commonly used to fix skirting etc. when the walls are light weight block. Older style rawlplug fixings just pulled out of the walls so this was the accepted way of fixing. New plugs have now been developed and used with glue give a much better fixing. You can still get the cut nails and older tradesmen still use them!

The floors are concrete "

This is why you have structural skirtings. Concrete is very heavy and the usual glued on mdf skirtings would never manage to hold it down.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

The floors are concrete "

Gravity then..

The floors are concrete

Gravity then.. "

A common misconception for those without the inside trade knowledge on structural skirtings.

Tin town

The floors are concrete

Gravity then..

A common misconception for those without the inside trade knowledge on structural skirtings. "

Every day's a school day. Who knew skirting boards were so technical?

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Workmen all work to a mystery code. They lurk about your house then periodically sound as though they are drilling in explosive demolition charges. Only tea with an occasional coffee for the weird one (usually a failed computer chap) sates their appetite for menace and dark humour. Give them too much though and they will share with you the latest conspiracy theory for an eternity.

You fall to your knees after they eventually leave and swear to God you will do the next job yourself!

Tin town

"Workmen all work to a mystery code. They lurk about your house then periodically sound as though they are drilling in explosive demolition charges. Only tea with an occasional coffee for the weird one (usually a failed computer chap) sates their appetite for menace and dark humour. Give them too much though and they will share with you the latest conspiracy theory for an eternity.

You fall to your knees after they eventually leave and swear to God you will do the next job yourself!"

Ohhh I thought they all looked like zac effron or dwayne Johnson and in between sips of aforementioned beverage were paying the finishing touches to the wife / girlfriend who accidently stepped out of the shower just as they walked in to the bathroom....

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

"Workmen all work to a mystery code. They lurk about your house then periodically sound as though they are drilling in explosive demolition charges. Only tea with an occasional coffee for the weird one (usually a failed computer chap) sates their appetite for menace and dark humour. Give them too much though and they will share with you the latest conspiracy theory for an eternity.

You fall to your knees after they eventually leave and swear to God you will do the next job yourself!

Ohhh I thought they all looked like zac effron or dwayne Johnson and in between sips of aforementioned beverage were paying the finishing touches to the wife / girlfriend who accidently stepped out of the shower just as they walked in to the bathroom.... "

Our flooring man though is an Adonis. Mid 50s he is a body builder. I once asked him about the gym . “Only three times a week” he said . On WhatsApp you have to endure his profile pic from a competition. Strangely though he gets all excited about my wife’s tea cups.

Complaints however are not an option..

Tin town

Ohhh I thought they all looked like zac effron or dwayne Johnson and in between sips of aforementioned beverage were paying the finishing touches to the wife / girlfriend who accidently stepped out of the shower just as they walked in to the bathroom....

Our flooring man though is an Adonis. Mid 50s he is a body builder. I once asked him about the gym . “Only three times a week” he said . On WhatsApp you have to endure his profile pic from a competition. Strangely though he gets all excited about my wife’s tea cups.

Complaints however are not an option.. "

Presumably if he asks if she wants her backroom screeded it's a euphemism.?

By *igblue66Man  over a year ago

romsey

The floors are concrete

This is why you have structural skirtings. Concrete is very heavy and the usual glued on mdf skirtings would never manage to hold it down. "

So what holds the middle down? The purpose of a skirting board is to hide the join between floor and wall. The reason for the large nails is they will go through just about anything and hold secure. A decent nail gun with the large nails is quick and easy.

The floors are concrete

This is why you have structural skirtings. Concrete is very heavy and the usual glued on mdf skirtings would never manage to hold it down.

So what holds the middle down? The purpose of a skirting board is to hide the join between floor and wall. The reason for the large nails is they will go through just about anything and hold secure. A decent nail gun with the large nails is quick and easy."

Obviously, if it’s held down securely around the perimeter it’ll stay in place. It’s called a perimeter fix.

» Add a new message to this topic