FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Running safety advice

Running safety advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does anyone have any practical tips for running in the dark safely during winter? I only started running a few months ago but suddenly the evenings are getting darker and I'm feeling slightly more nervous

Do you find particular lights help? Or reflective bands? Or do you just change your route? So much near my house is poorly lit!

Would welcome any advice or suggestions of what to buy

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Are there any running groups near you ? I often see some around after dark.

You can get chest or head torch. Personally I'd feel like a Cave explorer in the latter so no thanks..

Reflective jacket ? I just got one from Brooks.

Oh and I send beacon from strava plus carry a panic alarm !

Head torch

reflective silver vest

Nice running buddy similar pace

pick a safe route b4 u go .

When the weather for colder last year, I just made sure I was wearing layers do I could remove them while running.

I ran in the snow and ice earlier this year for shits and giggles. The advice I found was to make sure your running shoes have decent tread/grip and to take smaller steps. I found I was faring better than most pedestrians out walking, who were walking like newborn foals!

The cruel irony came when a week later after everything had melted and dried, and I tripped on an uneven paving stone and ripped my hamstring where it inserts to the pelvis!!!

I think the only thing that would have saved me would have been lots of bubble wrap!

By *elshkinkyMan  over a year ago

south wales

Head torch… no music on.. and go where there is plenty of street lights … I tend to run laps by my home x

By *elinefineWoman  over a year ago

kempston

Look at Lucy Locket Loves - they have just bought out a new line of reflective clothing including bobble hats! Also their leggings are the best!! So comfortable and really great patterns (couple of photos on my profile )

Keep your phone charged and accessible, if you choose to listen to music make sure they don’t cut out all external noise, aim for well lit routes and let someone know where you are going and how long you expect to be out for - even if it means texting someone when you get home if no one is waiting for you. Install What3Words on your phone then if you do have an accident it accurately maps you to a 3m square spot and is used by the emergency services.

By *ich_ChesterMan  over a year ago

Chester

Head torch

Reflective jacket

Plan route ahead

Local running club or running partner

Let people know where you are going/how long you will be

"Look at Lucy Locket Loves - they have just bought out a new line of reflective clothing including bobble hats! Also their leggings are the best!! So comfortable and really great patterns (couple of photos on my profile )

Keep your phone charged and accessible, if you choose to listen to music make sure they don’t cut out all external noise, aim for well lit routes and let someone know where you are going and how long you expect to be out for - even if it means texting someone when you get home if no one is waiting for you. Install What3Words on your phone then if you do have an accident it accurately maps you to a 3m square spot and is used by the emergency services."

That's such a great advice. Thanks. I'll get the app too.

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Along the beach naked is the best

"Look at Lucy Locket Loves - they have just bought out a new line of reflective clothing including bobble hats! Also their leggings are the best!! So comfortable and really great patterns (couple of photos on my profile )

Keep your phone charged and accessible, if you choose to listen to music make sure they don’t cut out all external noise, aim for well lit routes and let someone know where you are going and how long you expect to be out for - even if it means texting someone when you get home if no one is waiting for you. Install What3Words on your phone then if you do have an accident it accurately maps you to a 3m square spot and is used by the emergency services."

Wow thanks, that's really helpful advice!

"Along the beach naked is the best "

I'll be sure you remember your advice

You can also use a tracking app - strava etc and send a mate /family member a link

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

"You can also use a tracking app - strava etc and send a mate /family member a link "

^^ this. I use midnights app to track her as well

By *evonshireboyMan  over a year ago

North Devon

Join a local running group or club. I lead a group and we run twice a week and the one rule is that no one gets left behind.

After that, for secondary safety, I'd recommend a head torch or chest lamp and some reflective clothing. A Proviz gilet, or reflective tabs on shoes, shorts and shirts, will help you be seen by other road users.

"You can also use a tracking app - strava etc and send a mate /family member a link

^^ this. I use midnights app to track her as well "

I wondered why my bum was beeping

Road safety, reflective gear and a head torch.

Personal safety, a running buddy, public, well lit route, don't be listening to music, stay aware of your surroundings.

There are some brilliant running clubs in Southampton so that might be something worth considering or finding a running buddy if that's possible.

"Does anyone have any practical tips for running in the dark safely during winter? I only started running a few months ago but suddenly the evenings are getting darker and I'm feeling slightly more nervous

Do you find particular lights help? Or reflective bands? Or do you just change your route? So much near my house is poorly lit!

Would welcome any advice or suggestions of what to buy "

Look at reflect360 or provis. Also think about how you wear your hair, where you run, carrying ID. I use roadID as I run without a phone or wallet. Make sure someone knows you’re running and your route.

Sorry to say men don’t need all this advice

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Wear bright illuminous spandex.

Everyone will think you're a butter and leave you alone.

By *cplsMan  over a year ago

Nr Waltham

You can get small £1 sized flashing red lights, they are mostly aimed for cyclists but are ideal for running. Wear around your arm or attatch to a jacket, be seen for miles.

"Does anyone have any practical tips for running in the dark safely during winter? I only started running a few months ago but suddenly the evenings are getting darker and I'm feeling slightly more nervous

Look at reflect360 or provis. Also think about how you wear your hair, where you run, carrying ID. I use roadID as I run without a phone or wallet. Make sure someone knows you’re running and your route.

"

How I wear my hair?

How I wear my hair?"

Don’t make it easy for someone to grab! A long ponytail May look great hanging out of a cap but for a predator it’s a target

By *ussexualMan  over a year ago

Brighton

Maybe consider a smart watch, my garmin has an auto alert feature. If it detects something unusual, such as a very sudden stop (as could be caused by a fall) it sends a text alert to nominated number(s) with location.

Otherwise, make yourself as visible as possible, avoid roads, being hit by a car is probably the greatest risk.

Do you have someone who can be a running buddy with you? Two people are much less likely to attract any unwanted attention I think.

All the other advice given above too.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

How I wear my hair?

Don’t make it easy for someone to grab! A long ponytail May look great hanging out of a cap but for a predator it’s a target"

Men have a higher chance of being attacked by a stranger on the street than women, they are also equally likely to be hit by a car of not wearing adequate lighting or hi viz clothing.

A head torch is great if you're running in real darkness like off road/trail but most places you can see where you're going just fine. The issue is being seen by drivers. Reflective clothing and flashing armbands are great for this.

Try not to buy into the media hysteria about being attacked and dragged off while out running. Women absolutely are often victimised but this is far more likely to happen in a pub/club/night out in town setting or indeed by a man you already have in your life. The reason stories like Sarah Everard's hit so hard is that they are so rare. The two other women killed each week by their partners are so mundane no one cares enough to report their stories.

That said, taking precautions is a sensible idea - try to run different routes/days/times so you don't have a regular pattern, as others have said, ditch the earphones. Strava and Garmin both support safety tracking whereby a trusted friend or relative can track you in pretty much real time.

Winter running seems daunting but it can also be a good way to fight the winter blues with some endorphins. Good luck.

Mr

How I wear my hair?

Don’t make it easy for someone to grab! A long ponytail May look great hanging out of a cap but for a predator it’s a target

Men have a higher chance of being attacked by a stranger on the street than women, they are also equally likely to be hit by a car of not wearing adequate lighting or hi viz clothing.

A head torch is great if you're running in real darkness like off road/trail but most places you can see where you're going just fine. The issue is being seen by drivers. Reflective clothing and flashing armbands are great for this.

Try not to buy into the media hysteria about being attacked and dragged off while out running. Women absolutely are often victimised but this is far more likely to happen in a pub/club/night out in town setting or indeed by a man you already have in your life. The reason stories like Sarah Everard's hit so hard is that they are so rare. The two other women killed each week by their partners are so mundane no one cares enough to report their stories.

That said, taking precautions is a sensible idea - try to run different routes/days/times so you don't have a regular pattern, as others have said, ditch the earphones. Strava and Garmin both support safety tracking whereby a trusted friend or relative can track you in pretty much real time.

Winter running seems daunting but it can also be a good way to fight the winter blues with some endorphins. Good luck.

Mr"

It isn’t hysteria. I am a seasoned runner with many female running friends that have relayed some harrowing experiences to me.

Don’t be a man and minimise the risk to females by balancing up the likelihood to suit your narrative. Very disappointing

Swansea

How I wear my hair?

Mr

It isn’t hysteria. I am a seasoned runner with many female running friends that have relayed some harrowing experiences to me.

Don’t be a man and minimise the risk to females by balancing up the likelihood to suit your narrative. Very disappointing "

And I have my own harrowing story of being attacked and very nearly killed. For a long time after this I found going out at night really hard and scary. Learning to deal with my fear was incredibly liberating.

OP, feel free to PM NBVN, she regularly runs alone in the dark and is always happy to chat about running.

Mr

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

"

How I wear my hair?

Don’t make it easy for someone to grab! A long ponytail May look great hanging out of a cap but for a predator it’s a target"

This ^ One tip I was taught at an early age. I always tuck my hair in my clothes / coat when walking after dark

How I wear my hair?

Mr

Don’t be a man and minimise the risk to females by balancing up the likelihood to suit your narrative. Very disappointing

And I have my own harrowing story of being attacked and very nearly killed. For a long time after this I found going out at night really hard and scary. Learning to deal with my fear was incredibly liberating.

OP, feel free to PM NBVN, she regularly runs alone in the dark and is always happy to chat about running.

Mr

"

Read paragraph 1 and 3 of your response if ever there was case of minimising impact on women it’s there. I am sorry for your experience I wouldnt wish it on anyone but having gone through that I’d expect better understanding and empathy of risks faced specifically by woman.

I stand by what I said a very Man response and very disappointing

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Set off an hour earlier so you can walk. It's safer. And you won't spill your tea!

By *emma HoldenTV/TS  over a year ago

Ramsey

You can get some headlights that have an extra red flashing LED on the rear part of the strap so you can be seen by traffic coming from behind too. As important as the white light on the front!

I'm sorry but it comes to something when women are asking for safety advice and being told to hide their ponytail!

By *axtanMan  over a year ago

los Cristianos now

Yes. Go to a gym and use a treadmill.

How I wear my hair?

Mr

Mr

Read paragraph 1 and 3 of your response if ever there was case of minimising impact on women it’s there. I am sorry for your experience I wouldnt wish it on anyone but having gone through that I’d expect better understanding and empathy of risks faced specifically by woman.

I stand by what I said a very Man response and very disappointing"

"Yes. Go to a gym and use a treadmill. "

Oh so we should hide. Heh.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Just don't wear black ffs. I set off to work this morning just before sun up and there were lots of people out running wearing black. I see some cyclists do it to. Don't just rely on LEDs and fluorescent armbands. Fluorescence only works when lights are quite close to you. That means the cars are close. Some of the runners are also running in the road (alongside an empty pavement!) But not facing oncoming traffic!

It's not just women,just as many men are attacked, every one needs to be careful,take off the headphones,be aware and ideally run with someone else or a group,mainly use common sense and you should be fine,as another poster said,the reason it's all over the news is because it's not that common,don't let others change the things you enjoy or they have wine.

Just be sensible and above all enjoy you runs

"It's not just women,just as many men are attacked, every one needs to be careful,take off the headphones,be aware and ideally run with someone else or a group,mainly use common sense and you should be fine,as another poster said,the reason it's all over the news is because it's not that common,don't let others change the things you enjoy or they have wine.

Just be sensible and above all enjoy you runs"

But this post is a woman asking for advice that's why it's relevant that people are mentioning women and safety when running.

By *r.SJMan  over a year ago

Wellingborough

Don't run with scissors... sorry, just one of the things I remember being told as a child.

I think the advice above makes sense though and plenty of food for thought. Beyond all else though, I'd suggest trusting your gut instinct. You know the risks of where you run and with the things you could do to mitigate them... stay safe whatever you do though x

"It's not just women,just as many men are attacked, every one needs to be careful,take off the headphones,be aware and ideally run with someone else or a group,mainly use common sense and you should be fine,as another poster said,the reason it's all over the news is because it's not that common,don't let others change the things you enjoy or they have wine.

Just be sensible and above all enjoy you runs"

Sorry wone not wine, autocorrect

Trainers with a decent grip,non slip, waterproof etc

If you are that concerned find another way to do your runs.

If you want to bear the concern that's up to you.

If you do carry on doing that route learn some self-defence skills.

Carry also some sort of alarm or noise making device.

Some may think that's all a bit much but I say better to have the tools.

All this can go for men in a similar environment.

I have been in situations twice in my life where I had to journey in strange areas for some distance alone and at night don't think I didn't have my wits about me.

You have to.

Apart from that enjoy your life.

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely get some lights, there are just so many options and I wasn't sure if a head torch would bounce all over the place and be annoying while running, does anyone use one?

The ponytail thing hadn't actually occurred to me Maybe I'll do a bun instead?

Some really good advice here, thank you!

Could you find a running buddy or just stick to very well lit areas where you know there maybe a lot of foot traffic

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

My advice would be join a local club.you will not be the slowest runner on the club and running a night on your own isn't the best.

We wear reflective jackets and head touches or body touches . Really good deals on Amazon or

By *elshkinkyMan  over a year ago

south wales

"Thanks everyone, I'll definitely get some lights, there are just so many options and I wasn't sure if a head torch would bounce all over the place and be annoying while running, does anyone use one?

Some really good advice here, thank you!"

There are plenty out there… they don’t tend to move at all and personally I have a rechargeable one… like anything you get what you pay for. GoOutdoors used to do them and you can try them on … good luck

You should definitely look into a local running club. That helps to get me out in the dark evenings. I'm quite lucky that I live in a well lit area but I've still been chased as a 'joke'. I have a head torch but I don't really use it around my streets as there's street lights. I wear a high vis cycling jumper - I don't know why I like them better than running ones. If it's icy, I wear trail trainers but you've (hopefully) got a few months yet before you worry about that. I have a few local routes that I do when it's dark. Some nights, I do 5k running up and down my street. It's a bit boring!

And yes, a bun is safer.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

It might be worth investing in a gym membership for the colder/darker months

Many of the big 24/7 gyms have no joining fee or contract, and very reasonably priced. Join for 4-5 months when the weather turns and leave once it gets warmer/lighter again

If you want to listen to music, invest in some aftershokz as they don't go in your ear (they're bone conductors) so you can still hear what's going on around you.

To keep warm, I've got nice running gloves with reflective steps, and I wear a head band rather than a full hat.

"It might be worth investing in a gym membership for the colder/darker months

Many of the big 24/7 gyms have no joining fee or contract, and very reasonably priced. Join for 4-5 months when the weather turns and leave once it gets warmer/lighter again "

Yeah, I guess I could do. But I find them boring and I enjoy being outside (plus it's free!), so I was hoping to find ways to stay outside but feel a bit safer. The gym is always an option though.

"If you want to listen to music, invest in some aftershokz as they don't go in your ear (they're bone conductors) so you can still hear what's going on around you.

To keep warm, I've got nice running gloves with reflective steps, and I wear a head band rather than a full hat. "

I’ve been looking at those headphones and they get amazing reviews and aren’t scarily priced either

w

Many of the big 24/7 gyms have no joining fee or contract, and very reasonably priced. Join for 4-5 months when the weather turns and leave once it gets warmer/lighter again

Yeah, I guess I could do. But I find them boring and I enjoy being outside (plus it's free!), so I was hoping to find ways to stay outside but feel a bit safer. The gym is always an option though."

Couldn’t agree more, but for me the winter makes running not fun. Wet, cold, miserable. The gym fixed that and I get to do different kinds of cardio, some weights, mix it up.

Most of the time I just put the treadmill on 15% inclined and catch up on Netflix or txt friends. It’s a great workout, very low impact and since it’s at a walking pace being as to use my phone or watch shows makes the time fly

"If you want to listen to music, invest in some aftershokz as they don't go in your ear (they're bone conductors) so you can still hear what's going on around you.

To keep warm, I've got nice running gloves with reflective steps, and I wear a head band rather than a full hat. "

I have just gotten a set of those, they are ace!

If it’s a good time for you, run during commuting time, lots more people passing by. Chance for injury increases in winter months too, so always let someone know where you are going

Some great advice on here! Just be careful x

By *onb21Woman  over a year ago

Cardiff

"Thanks everyone, I'll definitely get some lights, there are just so many options and I wasn't sure if a head torch would bounce all over the place and be annoying while running, does anyone use one?

Some really good advice here, thank you!"

I don't like anything on my head. I have a chest torch, front & back light. Very comfortable to wear.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

All great advice above, id add when planning your routes, add in a safe spot that you can always find people in or a route divert for if you do come across any trouble

"You can also use a tracking app - strava etc and send a mate /family member a link "

I use Strava but switched the tracking stuff off as I don't want random strangers seeing where I run. Does anyone know if I set it up to share with a friend, will that friend be able to track my phone constantly or just when I'm 'recording' a run?

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Let people know the route you are taking, when you expect to finish the run

Admittedly it is a bit of an overkill, but at least someone will know where you will be going.

"You can also use a tracking app - strava etc and send a mate /family member a link

I use Strava but switched the tracking stuff off as I don't want random strangers seeing where I run. Does anyone know if I set it up to share with a friend, will that friend be able to track my phone constantly or just when I'm 'recording' a run? "

Google "strava beacon" .. It shares your live location with up to three people.. It will be more worthwhile if you tell people the time you expect to be back on your street

Also, if you're using strava, you can set your profile to private so only people that request to follow you can see where you run. You can also hide your home so people can't see where you started or ended your run (if it was at your home).

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

You could post on Facebook or NextDoor for an evening running partner, I responded to a post from a female for this exact reason and we ended up running together regularly. The other option is just join a local running club.

If you prefer to run alone and are concerned about being jumped , don’t wear earphones, carry an alarm device, plan the route in well

lit areas, wear your performance runners

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Yeah, I guess I could do. But I find them boring and I enjoy being outside (plus it's free!), so I was hoping to find ways to stay outside but feel a bit safer. The gym is always an option though.

Couldn’t agree more, but for me the winter makes running not fun. Wet, cold, miserable. The gym fixed that and I get to do different kinds of cardio, some weights, mix it up.

Most of the time I just put the treadmill on 15% inclined and catch up on Netflix or txt friends. It’s a great workout, very low impact and since it’s at a walking pace being as to use my phone or watch shows makes the time fly "

I love winter endurance running but more in late Dec/jan when you get cold bright days . I’m usually bulking a little over winter so will put on warm clothes , 5k backpack with drinks and snacks and go for a long slow jog through the countryside, take a few breaks and run 15-20 miles over about 4 hours

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I guess that this all feeds into the current points about personal safety and how to or having to look after yourself.

At this time of year, a lot of people have similar questions and concerns.

If you have a local running group, you could try joining them. If you have any friends that run, go out with them. Failing that, lights, high vis, well lit routes at busy times of day (if you can), try not to run the same routes.

It’s sad that this is a reality but it’s also necessary

You could post on Facebook or NextDoor for an evening running partner, I responded to a post from a female for this exact reason and we ended up running together regularly. The other option is just join a local running club.

If you prefer to run alone and are concerned about being jumped , don’t wear earphones, carry an alarm device, plan the route in well

lit areas, wear your performance runners

"

Oh what about asking on your local street /neighbour whatsapp?

"I'm sorry but it comes to something when women are asking for safety advice and being told to hide their ponytail!"

I agree it’s shocking that is the works we live in.i know of two female running friends that have both been verbally and physically assaulted (unprovoked) on both occasions the person attacking grabbed their ponytails and pulled them off the road they were running on. It makes me very angry

I use Strava but switched the tracking stuff off as I don't want random strangers seeing where I run. Does anyone know if I set it up to share with a friend, will that friend be able to track my phone constantly or just when I'm 'recording' a run? "

If you have Whatsapp then you used to be able to use the tracker on their and add selected friends only. Might be worth looking into?

w

Most of the time I just put the treadmill on 15% inclined and catch up on Netflix or txt friends. It’s a great workout, very low impact and since it’s at a walking pace being as to use my phone or watch shows makes the time fly

I love winter endurance running but more in late Dec/jan when you get cold bright days . I’m usually bulking a little over winter so will put on warm clothes , 5k backpack with drinks and snacks and go for a long slow jog through the countryside, take a few breaks and run 15-20 miles over about 4 hours"

That sounds pretty nice but I just couldn’t get into it

Give me those summer days when you can take your shirt off and get a tan on a long slow run any day.

But those cold, bleak winter days? Find me in the gym walking up the treadmill rewatching the office

"I'm sorry but it comes to something when women are asking for safety advice and being told to hide their ponytail!

I agree it’s shocking that is the works we live in.i know of two female running friends that have both been verbally and physically assaulted (unprovoked) on both occasions the person attacking grabbed their ponytails and pulled them off the road they were running on. It makes me very angry"

I shall avoid a ponytail, I hadn't even thought of this

"I'm sorry but it comes to something when women are asking for safety advice and being told to hide their ponytail!

I agree it’s shocking that is the works we live in.i know of two female running friends that have both been verbally and physically assaulted (unprovoked) on both occasions the person attacking grabbed their ponytails and pulled them off the road they were running on. It makes me very angry

I shall avoid a ponytail, I hadn't even thought of this "

If you start worrying about every little detail like that, you'll put yourself off going out at all

I brought a running light from Amazon. It has a light on the back too. I also wear a hi viz light weight jacket.

I only run when it’s dark and also around the country lanes by me. Probably not very safe but I alternate my route.

Yep don’t do it ! Stay warm safe ! Blue brrrrr x

I love winter endurance running but more in late Dec/jan when you get cold bright days . I’m usually bulking a little over winter so will put on warm clothes , 5k backpack with drinks and snacks and go for a long slow jog through the countryside, take a few breaks and run 15-20 miles over about 4 hours

That sounds pretty nice but I just couldn’t get into it

Give me those summer days when you can take your shirt off and get a tan on a long slow run any day.

But those cold, bleak winter days? Find me in the gym walking up the treadmill rewatching the office "

I prefer running when it’s cold as I find it much easier

Swansea

Yes, depends how you use Strava. If you record directly on the app on your phone it gives you the option to use Buddy Beacon. If you record on a different device then up load then no, it won't work. Some Garmin devices allow safety tracking. I use this when running on the mountains. One of the big advantages is that I can plot a route then when I turn it on, her ladyship gets an email with a link that shows my route, where I am on (or off that route) and how fast I'm moving. Once you have planned a route you can use it as many times as you like, you just select it at the start of a run, turn on safety tracking on the Garmin connect app on your phone and your designated safety numbers get a mail. Because my Garmin is linked with Strava this automatically turns on Stravas version and C gets a text from them too.

As above, you can change your Strava settings so that people have to request to follow you, though you can always see who does and block them if you want. You can also choose a security setting where you set a distance around your home that doesn't display on your route maps so strangers can't work out where your house is.

You asked about head torch light bobbing around, no they don't. A good light only moves with your head so it always points the same way relative to where you are looking. I often run off road on mountainous terrain with one and its fine.

Mr

I use Strava but switched the tracking stuff off as I don't want random strangers seeing where I run. Does anyone know if I set it up to share with a friend, will that friend be able to track my phone constantly or just when I'm 'recording' a run?

Yes, depends how you use Strava. If you record directly on the app on your phone it gives you the option to use Buddy Beacon. If you record on a different device then up load then no, it won't work. Some Garmin devices allow safety tracking. I use this when running on the mountains. One of the big advantages is that I can plot a route then when I turn it on, her ladyship gets an email with a link that shows my route, where I am on (or off that route) and how fast I'm moving. Once you have planned a route you can use it as many times as you like, you just select it at the start of a run, turn on safety tracking on the Garmin connect app on your phone and your designated safety numbers get a mail. Because my Garmin is linked with Strava this automatically turns on Stravas version and C gets a text from them too.

As above, you can change your Strava settings so that people have to request to follow you, though you can always see who does and block them if you want. You can also choose a security setting where you set a distance around your home that doesn't display on your route maps so strangers can't work out where your house is.

You asked about head torch light bobbing around, no they don't. A good light only moves with your head so it always points the same way relative to where you are looking. I often run off road on mountainous terrain with one and its fine.

Mr"

Thanks, that's really helpful!

Proviz make some incredible clothing and it's very reasonably priced

"Proviz make some incredible clothing and it's very reasonably priced"

Ooo I will take a look, thank you x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I run on local land when it's light but as I run in the mornings and it's now dark I have gone back to zig zagging the streets by me. That way I am always near home and always in lit areas.

I run up one street , then down the other and then reverse it.

Close to home and to others.

Street lights are usually enough to look out for raised pavement , tree trunk ripples n grids etc.

Even better on dark mornings I can run in the road. Less obstruction.

I always have my phone with me in a leg pocket and on dark mornings I carry a piercing alarm.

I don't fancy a head torch ( not since luther )

I don't have any need for tons of gadgetry on dark mornings because I don't venture many streets away.

Enjoy.

By *urplechesterCouple  over a year ago

chester

The only time I don’t run without music blasting is when it’s dark! Def head torch and clothes with visi strips back and front. Make sure you know the route beforehand, especially for pot holes! I run in country lanes with no lighting, and always have my phone with me incase I end up in a ditch Miss pc

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Head torches Amazon £12 reflected rain coat Primark £20 all you need but I away do town runs with streetlights this time of year so will not need a torch.

Also, remember to dress up warm bet for your mussels do not need to punish yourself going out cold.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

"Head torches Amazon £12 reflected rain coat Primark £20 all you need but I away do town runs with streetlights this time of year so will not need a torch.

Also, remember to dress up warm bet for your mussels do not need to punish yourself going out cold."

(Bet) better...

I’ve got a running light off of Amazon it’s more like a harness and a head torch which is quite good and got some for got myself some fluorescent like fleece thing from sports direct

By *erfectman122Man  over a year ago

from somewhere nice

Head torch and high vis top

"I’ve got a running light off of Amazon it’s more like a harness and a head torch which is quite good and got some for got myself some fluorescent like fleece thing from sports direct "

Forgot to add as well my running harness light has got a light at the back as well so as well anyone coming up behind can see the light as well which is red so helps as well

» Add a new message to this topic