FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fireworks Ban?

Fireworks Ban?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *unandgamegeek OP   Man  over a year ago

Bolton

With London cancelling the fireworks display for New Years Eve again this year, it made me question, what would happened if fireworks were banned completely in the UK?

The upside would be that the environment would be cleaner, no hooligans would be causing trouble and no pets would be disturbed.

The downside would be that certain holidays and celebrations would be affected especially Bonfire Night which would probably cease to exist.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Banned completely like none at all, or banned like only professional displays?

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I’m all in favour of organised displays only for fireworks.

Bolton

"Banned completely like none at all, or banned like only professional displays?"

I mean banned completely and that includes no displays.

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

"I’m all in favour of organised displays only for fireworks. "

Same here.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Cancelled in its usual spot, they took place last year but most didn’t know where unless you lived nearby and it’s likely there will be fireworks again just a different or multiple locations.

Personally I’d like fireworks restricted to main displays only and not in general sale.

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Moelfre

Oh I'd ban them completely, but organised displays only would be more palatable to the masses

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

"Banned completely like none at all, or banned like only professional displays?

I mean banned completely and that includes no displays."

I doubt they ever would.

When was the last time the government totally banned anything that makes money?

They will just increase the tax on them.

By *aturegentdurhamMan  over a year ago

Stanley

Problem is a lot of idoits buy the massive ones or the off the back of a lorry ones.

Then decide to let them off in a housing estate where they are very close to the other houses so not only scaring pets but also some people who have nervous problems.

And it not only one night in November or January but usually start in October right away though to January.

By *.D.I.D.A.SMan  over a year ago

London/Essex... ish... Romford to be exact

Just looked it up and there are eco friendly virtual bonfires on screens, also eco and family friendly light show displays.

I loved bonfires as a kid. Guy Fawkes night without it meant it may as well not exist. Penny for the guy has all but disappeared. I barely remember it was even a thing it has been that long since it existed.

Culture and traditions are rapidly disappearing into the ether. Oh well, we still have Netflix and Spotify.

Bolton

I doubt they ever would.

They will just increase the tax on them. "

I know this wouldn't happen. This is just a what if scenario. I was just asking what if they were banned completely and what would the benefits and consequences be?

Manchester (she/her)

I doubt they ever would.

I know this wouldn't happen. This is just a what if scenario. I was just asking what if they were banned completely and what would the benefits and consequences be?"

Less injuries and less environmental damage

Less fuckwits setting them off every night between mid October and January 1 (yes it does fray my nerves)

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

I think drone swarm light shows will start to become more popular. Maybe combined with silent / low sound fireworks. I don't think they should be for sale to the general public without a license.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Black market sale would shoot though the roof

Bans never work all thay crate is criminals

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Personally I'd love to see them banned partially because for the most part they are not all that special especially when it comes to the shitty backyard family display... Oh wow... Flash of bright light and a bang - a fair few people can relate with their sex life.

The main reason however, I do have compassion for animals, people with certain anxiety and mental health problems, older people, and veterans. Plus these are dangerous explosives that are easily accessible by minors and the... Specifically minded people.

I'd be okay with them being organised displays only. Being set off within a set time frame that you can plan around. And st the very least they have a structure and some visual appeal to them.

Manchester (she/her)

"Personally I'd love to see them banned partially because for the most part they are not all that special especially when it comes to the shitty backyard family display... Oh wow... Flash of bright light and a bang - a fair few people can relate with their sex life.

The main reason however, I do have compassion for animals, people with certain anxiety and mental health problems, older people, and veterans. Plus these are dangerous explosives that are easily accessible by minors and the... Specifically minded people.

I'd be okay with them being organised displays only. Being set off within a set time frame that you can plan around. And st the very least they have a structure and some visual appeal to them. "

Yeah. You're risking your body for that shitty little bang? Yeesh

Give me an organised display any day

By *iss_KateTV/TS  over a year ago

Redhill

I'd like to see them banned. Animals hate them and not good for the environment.

I don't know why they don't do what they done in the Olympics opening ceremony, they used 1000's of drones with LED lights. Looked better than a firework display IMO, no noise and no pollution too.

I would be supportive of silent fireworks - organised displays preferably

By *oldyoudown41Man  over a year ago

caledonian

Ban ban ban , organised would be ok but as far as every Tom , Dick or Harry buying them I’d gladly have them banned ..

I would be in favour of banning fireworks except for organised displays. That way you would have advance notice to be able make arrangements for pets.

As well as it would cut down on a lot of accidents to both body and property.

Xx

By *awpleasureMan  over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

Yes I don't think the general public should be allowed to buy them. Too often they fall in to the wrong hands.

Public displays only would definitely be my preference but equally I would lose no sleep at all if they were banned altogether.

By *punkymonkey40Man  over a year ago

derby

I think they should be banned for sale to the public and only professional displays for new year and bonfire.

Fed up of them going off at random times throughout the year

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

I *love* fire and explosions. And you know what? I love animals, the environment and vulnerable people more.

Total ban, no exceptions, now.

Bolton

Public displays do look nice but I can't help but think it limits the participation in celebrating Bonfire Night or New Years. I maybe wrong on that point.

To be honest, I'm not keen on public displays really. Apart from seeing a good firework display, it could get pretty crowded with people in front of you blocking your view, the food could be of poor quality and overpriced and finding a parking space could be a nightmare.

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

Low noise/quiet fireworks would be an immediate improvement, it would certainly make things much better for pets, and then yes, organised events only.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Fireworks are like hiccups

If they disappeared tomorrow I don’t think I’d even notice

Ive never been having a great time and said “you know what’s missing? Fire works”

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Imagine the opposite, no fireworks and someone invents them and goes on to Dragons Den to try and sell the concept.

So you want to sell explosives to the general public? Asks the gruff Scottish one.

Yes, I say .. but they make pretty colours in the sky.

I’m out, says the gruff Scottish one

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

I wish they would get banned for the general public. They're more trouble and nuisance than they worth in the hands of amateurs and idiots.

Leave it to licensed professionals to put on a large.

LvM

By *punkymonkey40Man  over a year ago

derby

I remember my local school doing bonfires and having a cup of mushy peas and mint sauce

"I wish they would get banned for the general public. They're more trouble and nuisance than they worth in the hands of amateurs and idiots.

Leave it to licensed professionals to put on a large.

LvM "

Bolton

I've noticed that if organised displays were still given the go ahead while fireworks are banned, I think there could be a risk of displayes being overcrowded as all families with kids would want to go and potential fights could break out over parking or overcrowding.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"Personally I'd love to see them banned partially because for the most part they are not all that special especially when it comes to the shitty backyard family display... Oh wow... Flash of bright light and a bang - a fair few people can relate with their sex life.

I'd be okay with them being organised displays only. Being set off within a set time frame that you can plan around. And st the very least they have a structure and some visual appeal to them. "

Then you get that special someone who sticks a large rocket, in the ground and lights it. He was concerned about the rocket falling on someone, he wasn't bothered about us all being in the blast range when it went off.

By *iss.ddWoman  over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

I think they should be banned for sale to the general public, with only organised displays to be allowed.

They are, after all, mini little explosives. They don't have a place to be sold in Asda

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Black market sale would shoot though the roof

Bans never work all thay crate is criminals "

It worked in New Zealand ,no one gets why we sell them in shops they think we’re nuts …it just takes time kids don’t miss what they never had

Manchester (she/her)

"I've noticed that if organised displays were still given the go ahead while fireworks are banned, I think there could be a risk of displayes being overcrowded as all families with kids would want to go and potential fights could break out over parking or overcrowding."

So you get crowd control/security and tell people not to be dickheads.

"Black market sale would shoot though the roof

Bans never work all thay crate is criminals

It worked in New Zealand ,no one gets why we sell them in shops they think we’re nuts …it just takes time kids don’t miss what they never had "

Lol but they burn rubber summernats

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Ban organise displays and you would just get loads of illegal displays in people's gardens. Already from the beginning of Nov through to the end of Jan we get random fireworks going off in the neighbourhood so imagine it would be ten times worse.

Manchester (she/her)

"Ban organise displays and you would just get loads of illegal displays in people's gardens. Already from the beginning of Nov through to the end of Jan we get random fireworks going off in the neighbourhood so imagine it would be ten times worse."

Imagine being so brazen as to literally set off a display that you've engaged in criminal activity

"I've noticed that if organised displays were still given the go ahead while fireworks are banned, I think there could be a risk of displayes being overcrowded as all families with kids would want to go and potential fights could break out over parking or overcrowding.

So you get crowd control/security and tell people not to be dickheads."

Tell people not to be dickheads.... 2020 is a distant memory then...

Manchester (she/her)

"I've noticed that if organised displays were still given the go ahead while fireworks are banned, I think there could be a risk of displayes being overcrowded as all families with kids would want to go and potential fights could break out over parking or overcrowding.

Tell people not to be dickheads.... 2020 is a distant memory then... "

No. Set rules and enforce them. I know damn well it didn't work in 2020 - so we need to change that. If you can't behave in a civilised fashion you need to be thrown out.

By *yrdsisWoman  over a year ago

Gleam Street

Considering we had an hour of fireworks going off at around 3:30am this morning, waking us up and terrifying the dog...I'm all for a ban bar organised didplays.. and even then, there will always be some eedjit prepared to sell them on unfortunately

I love displays too...

Bolton

So you get crowd control/security and tell people not to be dickheads."

Even with security, a fight would still probably break out.

Manchester (she/her)

Even with security, a fight would still probably break out."

So... This is why we can't have nice things?

Nottingham

Even with security, a fight would still probably break out."

Why would fireworks displays be so much more violent and unruly than, say, air shows, festivals, sporting events, or any other large public gathering?

Bolton

Why would fireworks displays be so much more violent and unruly than, say, air shows, festivals, sporting events, or any other large public gathering? "

With fireworks banned, more people would want to go to an organised display which could cause problems.

Manchester (she/her)

Why would fireworks displays be so much more violent and unruly than, say, air shows, festivals, sporting events, or any other large public gathering?

With fireworks banned, more people would want to go to an organised display which could cause problems."

Arrange more. Sell tickets. Have security.

Or - ban everything that people want so badly that some people will get violent over it. Let's start with toilet paper.

Lincoln

With fireworks banned, more people would want to go to an organised display which could cause problems.

Or - ban everything that people want so badly that some people will get violent over it. Let's start with toilet paper."

I vote in favour of the three shell system!

LvM

Manchester (she/her)

Or - ban everything that people want so badly that some people will get violent over it. Let's start with toilet paper.

LvM"

I just don't see how - some people are morons, therefore it can't be done - is a system.

Some people are morons. Does that mean we should ruin everything else?

(Sometimes yes - apparently one of the worst nights to work in a children's hospital is bonfire night. That's a reason to regulate, because the risk might not be worth the benefit. Sometimes no - people become violent over anything, apparently - regulate them and leave us be)

Lincoln

[Removed by poster at 12/10/21 18:39:49]

Lincoln

LvM

I just don't see how - some people are morons, therefore it can't be done - is a system.

(Sometimes yes - apparently one of the worst nights to work in a children's hospital is bonfire night. That's a reason to regulate, because the risk might not be worth the benefit. Sometimes no - people become violent over anything, apparently - regulate them and leave us be)"

Hey don't shoot, I was just making a Demolition Man reference

LvM

Manchester (she/her)

LvM

(Sometimes yes - apparently one of the worst nights to work in a children's hospital is bonfire night. That's a reason to regulate, because the risk might not be worth the benefit. Sometimes no - people become violent over anything, apparently - regulate them and leave us be)

Hey don't shoot, I was just making a Demolition Man reference

LvM"

Went over my head, sorry

"With London cancelling the fireworks display for New Years Eve again this year, it made me question, what would happened if fireworks were banned completely in the UK?

The upside would be that the environment would be cleaner, no hooligans would be causing trouble and no pets would be disturbed.

The downside would be that certain holidays and celebrations would be affected especially Bonfire Night which would probably cease to exist."

Interesting, Personally, it wouldn't worry me. I'm not particularly fond of fireworks. They become much louder over the last couple of years and it affects my functionality I'm not particularly fond of loud bangs. But it would make improvement concerning hooligans posting them in letterboxes and throwing them at people. I have seen so many bad burns through stupidity and OAPs have minor panic attacks causing fear of going out. Probably reminds them of WW2.

I doubt they ever would.

They will just increase the tax on them. "

Banning them completely would be difficult because it's a Chinese celebration. They invented the firework. Fireworks are part of their culture. They will never ban it or stop it.

By *apxxxWoman  over a year ago

North Shropshire not Wales!!!ffs & Manchester

Fireworks have been going off in my semi rural area for a week or two. They disturb children trying to get to sleep and animals who get scared,so I'm all for organised events only.

I thought it said Firework Bang.

By *im75Her77Couple  over a year ago

937 S.W.

A whole helluva lot of would be tyrants on this one.

Holy smokes!

I am glad we can buy them if we wish. Our entire village have them on Independence Day, New Years Eve and during the summer just for the hell of it. Every year.

I've never heard anybody complain at Town council nor have the Sheriffs ever made an appearance.

Are your dogs also afraid of lightning and thunder? You want to ban that as well?

Are you certain it is even a dog that you have?

~C

Manchester (she/her)

I doubt they ever would.

Banning them completely would be difficult because it's a Chinese celebration. They invented the firework. Fireworks are part of their culture. They will never ban it or stop it."

In Australia there's a limited exemption for Chinese religious purposes (I think is how it goes, I know there's an exemption).

Bolton

"

A whole helluva lot of would be tyrants on this one.

Holy smokes!

I am glad we can buy them if we wish. Our entire village have them on Independence Day, New Years Eve and during the summer just for the hell of it. Every year.

I've never heard anybody complain at Town council nor have the Sheriffs ever made an appearance.

Are your dogs also afraid of lightning and thunder? You want to ban that as well?

~C

"

If you could see what some fools are like with fireworks here in UK, it probably would change your mind.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

More people would send up those poxy Chinese lanterns

I'd like to ban public use and just have commercial displays

By *yrdsisWoman  over a year ago

Gleam Street

Smashin for you... but at 3:30am .. used to signify that the new drugs are in... pisses me off no end.. and yes, both my rottie and lhasa are real dogs... however, neither have ever been bred to be gun dogs... why should they be happy with loud noises at that time in the morning? I'm fuckin not.

Nottingham

" A whole helluva lot of would be tyrants on this one.

Holy smokes!

~C"

According to the RSPCA, 62% of dogs, 54% of cats and 55% of horses show distress during fireworks. They also state that fireworks are highly disturbing to birds, and can cause them to abandon their nests

The British Horse Society reports 20 deaths, 10 severe injuries, and 88 injuries to horses in fireworks incidents since 2010.

Back in November 2020, a baby zebra in Somerset was killed in a fireworks incident.

And that, of course is just the animals. You'll also find an article in The Conversation called 'Fireworks can torment veterans and survivors of gun violence with PTSD – here’s how to celebrate with respect for those who served', which touches upon the effect that sudden loud noises can have on humans.

The comparison between fireworks and thunderstorms seems especially misleading. The quality of the sounds are completely different, and – although it might be different where you live – here in the UK thunderstorms don't last from October to January like firework season does.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

visiting the beach

We have a great organised display here at New year.

Out in the harbour, so about as safe as you can manage, and away from where people and animals are living.

I think it's a reasonable compromise, but I'd not be against a full ban.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Think back to when you were a kid in the 70s or 80s. Box of standard fireworks with a Catherine wheel in it if you were lucky. No outcry then was there? Then what happened? Enormous fireworks became available (that were created for the big public displays). Stop allowing the sale of the big fuckers and limit the sale of the small ones to a week prior to the 5th Nov.

There are shops in Bolton selling them all year round and they are being let off at wedding celebrations every weekend, throughout the year till gone midnight some nights. Why are they being sold and why the fuck are the police not stopping them from letting them off?

w

" A whole helluva lot of would be tyrants on this one.

Holy smokes!

~C

According to the RSPCA, 62% of dogs, 54% of cats and 55% of horses show distress during fireworks. They also state that fireworks are highly disturbing to birds, and can cause them to abandon their nests

The British Horse Society reports 20 deaths, 10 severe injuries, and 88 injuries to horses in fireworks incidents since 2010.

Back in November 2020, a baby zebra in Somerset was killed in a fireworks incident.

And that, of course is just the animals. You'll also find an article in The Conversation called 'Fireworks can torment veterans and survivors of gun violence with PTSD – here’s how to celebrate with respect for those who served', which touches upon the effect that sudden loud noises can have on humans.

The comparison between fireworks and thunderstorms seems especially misleading. The quality of the sounds are completely different, and – although it might be different where you live – here in the UK thunderstorms don't last from October to January like firework season does. "

So according to those statistics you wanna ruin it for the animals that enjoy them?

Whose gonna tell 45% of horses that they can’t enjoy firework night anymore? I’m not!

This for Me Too! I genuinely think they should only be for organised displays.

We sometimes hear fireworks going off at 3:00 a.m. and that definitely isn't necessary.

[Removed by poster at 12/10/21 20:52:43]

By *ose and her beastCouple  over a year ago

Watford

I'd be happy with only professional displays just for the dogs sake

w

"I'd be happy with only professional displays just for the dogs sake"

He only likes the professional displays?

Picky buggar ain’t he

"I think drone swarm light shows will start to become more popular. Maybe combined with silent / low sound fireworks. I don't think they should be for sale to the general public without a license. "

The drone display at the Olympic opening ceremony was epic.

As for the London NYE fireworks they have been completely cancelled but are being replaced by a light and drone display.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

It was a right of passage for me as a kid...

But Bonfire Night all but gone because of Halloween..

I loved playing with fireworks and the gunpowder as a kid..

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

Not a fan but outlawing shit you do not like is stupid as before too long they will stop stuff you like maybe keep a cat or a dog as they're bad for the environment number of kids your sexual orientation.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

A town near you perhaps

Let's just stop everything fun and be done and dusted. Nanny state springs to mind

"Let's just stop everything fun and be done and dusted. Nanny state springs to mind "

Not really.

It's individuals that are calling for this not the government or local authorities.

Cancelled? What like last year ??

Manchester (she/her)

"Let's just stop everything fun and be done and dusted. Nanny state springs to mind "

I'm just discussing the hypothetical.

(Although private fireworks displays were banned where I grew up. We still had fun)

I fucking hate fireworks! I think they should be proper, organised displays only though... I don't begrudge others watching them if they like em

"I’m all in favour of organised displays only for fireworks.

Same here. "

same

Nottingham

The "some people like a thing, therefore it must be permissible" argument blows my mind.

Some people really enjoy murder. Should we decriminalise that as well? We're really spoiling some people's fun by keeping that illegal.

Surely the acceptability of a thing should be based on the harm it does versus the benefit at brings? Four or five months of fear and misery for animals and vulnerable people, versus half an hour of enjoyment for the "Ooh pretty lights" crowd.

Cumbria

"Let's just stop everything fun and be done and dusted. Nanny state springs to mind

Not really.

It's individuals that are calling for this not the government or local authorities. "

Yes the same individual how what swingers clubs closed down in big part as see us as antisocial.

Cumbria

"The "some people like a thing, therefore it must be permissible" argument blows my mind.

Some people really enjoy murder. Should we decriminalise that as well? We're really spoiling some people's fun by keeping that illegal.

Surely the acceptability of a thing should be based on the harm it does versus the benefit at brings? Four or five months of fear and misery for animals and vulnerable people, versus half an hour of enjoyment for the "Ooh pretty lights" crowd."

Wow, murder and fireworks there just the same...

Bit silly as no one thinks murder is fun fireworks and swingers clubs....

By *esthetic21Man  over a year ago

Birmingham/Bristol

Fuck fireworks they're over rated

visiting the beach

"Let's just stop everything fun and be done and dusted. Nanny state springs to mind

Not really.

It's individuals that are calling for this not the government or local authorities.

Yes the same individual how what swingers clubs closed down in big part as see us as antisocial.

"

But there's a big difference between someone wanting something banned, just because they don't like it, and someone wanting something banned using facts to show the harm it does.

By *esthetic21Man  over a year ago

Birmingham/Bristol

Actually don't that you might get injured

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

I would ban completely I allways think of all the wildlife must be terrifying for them! My friend has 7 horses she has to camp out everytime their is a organized display in the pub up from her fields x

Bolton

I know that there are people out there who use fireworks responsibly and sensibly on Bonfire Night and New Years Eve but if fireworks were to be banned, wouldn't they feel like they're being punished because of a few idiots?

By *reya73Woman  over a year ago

Whitley Bay

I would be happy if huge public fireworks displays went forever. I always think its such a huge waste of money.

Chelmsford

I think they could have a sound decibel limit on the fireworks.. that day the animals would not be so distressed and also check the frequencies. Some animals hear differently to humans. That's why dog whistles can be heard by dogs and not by us. Either that or its just a big wind up

Bolton

I do have an alternative from a ban on fireworks.

If people want to buy fireworks, they must apply for a licence and I've come up with some ideas for rules about the licence.

1. The licence holder can only set off fireworks on Bonfire Night and New Years Eve (other holidays like Diwali and Chinese New Years are exceptional)

2. The licence holder cannot buy fireworks for other people that don't have a licence.

These are what I could come up with for now but if they are broken, the fireworks would then be confiscated and their licence would be revoked with an immediate fine and a ban from reapplying for a licence.

If people are found to have fireworks without a licence, they too would be fined and their fireworks confiscated.

Liverpool

"I know that there are people out there who use fireworks responsibly and sensibly on Bonfire Night and New Years Eve but if fireworks were to be banned, wouldn't they feel like they're being punished because of a few idiots?"

First World problems.

Considering there are valid reasons and not just "I don't like them" behind the ban based upon consideration for those (human and none human) that are not just scared but terrified by them. Goes to show how little thought is given thought is given for others by those that would rather watch a flash and hear a bang over the well being of others.

Fireworks still exist on TV. Hell they can create the colour and lights of fireworks electronically. With zero waste, silence, and minimal disruption. There are alternatives to fireworks that help those suffering from firrworks while still giving the selfish bright light junkies their fix.

Chelmsford

And although it's not nice for the animals, what about the selfish cat owners who moan every year about Bonfire Night but literally don't give a shit about their cats shitting in other people's gardens.

Bolton

"I know that there are people out there who use fireworks responsibly and sensibly on Bonfire Night and New Years Eve but if fireworks were to be banned, wouldn't they feel like they're being punished because of a few idiots?

First World problems.

Considering there are valid reasons and not just "I don't like them" behind the ban based upon consideration for those (human and none human) that are not just scared but terrified by them. Goes to show how little thought is given thought is given for others by those that would rather watch a flash and hear a bang over the well being of others.

Fireworks still exist on TV. Hell they can create the colour and lights of fireworks electronically. With zero waste, silence, and minimal disruption. There are alternatives to fireworks that help those suffering from firrworks while still giving the selfish bright light junkies their fix. "

I don't understand how can watching fireworks on tv can work just the same.

By *inkyeroticaCouple  over a year ago

Ampthill

Having grown up in a country where fireworks are illegal and only organised fireworks displays are possible I’d welcome a ban here.

Chelmsford

You can't beat the smell of the cordite in the air..

Well if any lady here wanting a ban, wants to message me for a chat,flirt or maybe more, I can guarantee there will be no fireworks..

ashford

"And although it's not nice for the animals, what about the selfish cat owners who moan every year about Bonfire Night but literally don't give a shit about their cats shitting in other people's gardens. "

What can they realistically do about that? X

Manchester (she/her)

"Having grown up in a country where fireworks are illegal and only organised fireworks displays are possible I’d welcome a ban here."

It's just not a big deal to me, and the risks and harms outweigh the benefits.

(Again, I'm discussing the issue, not writing to my MP or passing laws)

By *iscreet-is-paramountMan  over a year ago

somewhere only we know.

People will make their own.

They were banned in Northern Ireland when I was growing up (too much explosive stuff).

Only time I ever got to see any was when my friend's dad got some and we'd go to a field in the middle of nowhere and set them off. Cool thing was he was in the police and would bring his radio so he'd know if anyone called the cops on us so we could get away

By *asilyled1Man  over a year ago

ogmore valley

"And although it's not nice for the animals, what about the selfish cat owners who moan every year about Bonfire Night but literally don't give a shit about their cats shitting in other people's gardens. "

Had to chuckle at this one Tom!

Manchester (she/her)

"They were banned in Northern Ireland when I was growing up (too much explosive stuff).

Only time I ever got to see any was when my friend's dad got some and we'd go to a field in the middle of nowhere and set them off. Cool thing was he was in the police and would bring his radio so he'd know if anyone called the cops on us so we could get away "

See, I just went to organised displays. School, council, that sort of thing. No one got hurt, and there certainly weren't fights

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

At present I would welcome a few cats shitting in my garden if they would get rid of the bloody rat that seems to come out whenever the flower beds get waterlogged. (No, I don't want to put poison down)

visiting the beach

"And although it's not nice for the animals, what about the selfish cat owners who moan every year about Bonfire Night but literally don't give a shit about their cats shitting in other people's gardens.

At present I would welcome a few cats shitting in my garden if they would get rid of the bloody rat that seems to come out whenever the flower beds get waterlogged. (No, I don't want to put poison down)

"

There's pretty much no other way of effectively dealing with the bastards (poison that is).

Unless you want to be dealing with live rats in humane traps?

They are just the most effective and efficient vermin! I admire them a bit, but don't want them in my garden (especially the performative one that was dancing along the top of wall the other morning).

Liverpool

"I know that there are people out there who use fireworks responsibly and sensibly on Bonfire Night and New Years Eve but if fireworks were to be banned, wouldn't they feel like they're being punished because of a few idiots?

First World problems.

Fireworks still exist on TV. Hell they can create the colour and lights of fireworks electronically. With zero waste, silence, and minimal disruption. There are alternatives to fireworks that help those suffering from firrworks while still giving the selfish bright light junkies their fix.

I don't understand how can watching fireworks on tv can work just the same. "

Why not? What is it that makes it different? You are seeing the same thing happen. Explosion happens, bright lights, it ends.

If it's nothing to do with the visual or the bang then it's not the fireworks that they are interested in.

Bottom line is, it's a selfish want over a minor thing. Not having them is not an inconvenience to people as opposed to the pupple (and animals) that actually struggle with having fireworks happen. It's more than an inconvenience for some of them, it is a night of terror and fear.

Diwali will be on the 4th of November this year. The local Hindu community always put on a fantastic display, looking forward to it this year.

Bolton

First World problems.

Why not? What is it that makes it different? You are seeing the same thing happen. Explosion happens, bright lights, it ends.

If it's nothing to do with the visual or the bang then it's not the fireworks that they are interested in.

Bottom line is, it's a selfish want over a minor thing. Not having them is not an inconvenience to people as opposed to the pupple (and animals) that actually struggle with having fireworks happen. It's more than an inconvenience for some of them, it is a night of terror and fear. "

The difference is fireworks can be seen on tv and film at any time of the year. If people just watched fireworks on tv during Bonfire Night, it wouldn't be the same. Plus they wouldn't feel like they're partaking in the event.

"They were banned in Northern Ireland when I was growing up (too much explosive stuff).

Only time I ever got to see any was when my friend's dad got some and we'd go to a field in the middle of nowhere and set them off. Cool thing was he was in the police and would bring his radio so he'd know if anyone called the cops on us so we could get away "

There not banned anymore lol

By *iddlesticksMan  over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

The police arrested two youths one was drinking battery acid and the other was eating fireworks.

They charged one and let the other off.

ashford

"The police arrested two youths one was drinking battery acid and the other was eating fireworks.

They charged one and let the other off. "

Pmsl! X

Only time I ever got to see any was when my friend's dad got some and we'd go to a field in the middle of nowhere and set them off. Cool thing was he was in the police and would bring his radio so he'd know if anyone called the cops on us so we could get away

There not banned anymore lol "

I know. I find fireworks boring anyway. Only ever seen one show that I thought was remotely interesting, but that was when I was 16.

Chelmsford

First World problems.

Bottom line is, it's a selfish want over a minor thing. Not having them is not an inconvenience to people as opposed to the pupple (and animals) that actually struggle with having fireworks happen. It's more than an inconvenience for some of them, it is a night of terror and fear. "

Well Halloween has become a night of terror and fear. Why not move the fireworks to that evening. It makes sense to have the terror and fear all on one night. I have watched clips on TV and Sydney Bridge for New Year's Eve and the Olympics. Absolute rubbish. And if a few loud bangs scare the salties out of Sydney harbour and the poisonous snakes and spiders back into the bush then I for one will not be mourning their loss

By *omino51Man  over a year ago

loughborough

Amazes me how folk in this country what to ban everything that's fun. One day they will ban something you enjoy doing. Silvester Stalone made a film where he came back 80 years later to a woke age. How fugging boring that would be. But seems that's what the masses want these days. It's times like these that I thank the lord I was born in the early 60's and will be dead before everything get banned and boring. Good luck young unsure rather you than me.

By *omino51Man  over a year ago

loughborough

*young-uns.

Manchester (she/her)

"Amazes me how folk in this country what to ban everything that's fun. One day they will ban something you enjoy doing. Silvester Stalone made a film where he came back 80 years later to a woke age. How fugging boring that would be. But seems that's what the masses want these days. It's times like these that I thank the lord I was born in the early 60's and will be dead before everything get banned and boring. Good luck young unsure rather you than me. "

Goodness, how boring, wanting to stop children losing fingers and ending up in the burns unit. Stupid children ruining all our fun. They should accept their lot in life, letting us enjoy subpar fireworks.

"Amazes me how folk in this country what to ban everything that's fun. One day they will ban something you enjoy doing. Silvester Stalone made a film where he came back 80 years later to a woke age. How fugging boring that would be. But seems that's what the masses want these days. It's times like these that I thank the lord I was born in the early 60's and will be dead before everything get banned and boring. Good luck young unsure rather you than me. "

If that's Demolition Man you're talking about, he was cryogenically frozen for 10 years. 1996 -2006.

Physical sex was abolished in that film. Can't imagine the masses here going along with that!

Bolton

"Amazes me how folk in this country what to ban everything that's fun. One day they will ban something you enjoy doing. Silvester Stalone made a film where he came back 80 years later to a woke age. How fugging boring that would be. But seems that's what the masses want these days. It's times like these that I thank the lord I was born in the early 60's and will be dead before everything get banned and boring. Good luck young unsure rather you than me.

If that's Demolition Man you're talking about, he was cryogenically frozen for 10 years. 1996 -2006.

Physical sex was abolished in that film. Can't imagine the masses here going along with that!"

Actually, he was frozen for 36 years and the future was set in 2032.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"With London cancelling the fireworks display for New Years Eve again this year, it made me question, what would happened if fireworks were banned completely in the UK?

The downside would be that certain holidays and celebrations would be affected especially Bonfire Night which would probably cease to exist."

And incomes would be lost.

Manchester (she/her)

The downside would be that certain holidays and celebrations would be affected especially Bonfire Night which would probably cease to exist.

And incomes would be lost. "

I don't know when the ban happened, but candles were banned from Candles by Candlelight, which is an important Australian Christmas tradition which has roots before Australia became a country.

Candles are a fire risk, and Christmas occurs in the bushfire season.

Carols by candlelight continues - with battery operated candles. Because the risk to life, property, and environment is too high to allow all those naked flames.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

The firework display is gonna need one hell of a lot of batteries

Maybe we should just televise it all or show old films.

We do it with everything else

Manchester (she/her)

"

We do it with everything else "

Lol. Apparently lasers do a great job.

But - problem emerges, adapt. Even for cherished traditions.

I personally don't think mangled toddlers is a price worth paying for the ability to set off your own fireworks.

My nan’s spare room.

Before you know it we are going to stop burning bloody witches at the stake.

I guess that’s progress for you.

Manchester (she/her)

"Before you know it we are going to stop burning bloody witches at the stake.

I guess that’s progress for you. "

My nan’s spare room.

"

I personally don't think mangled toddlers is a price worth paying for the ability to set off your own fireworks."

That is the problem with selling fireworks to irresponsible responsible adults.

Manchester (she/her)

"

I personally don't think mangled toddlers is a price worth paying for the ability to set off your own fireworks.

That is the problem with selling fireworks to irresponsible responsible adults. "

For sure.

And maybe in years past we were less aware of the tragedy of maimed children. Or society cared less. Ditto about PTSD or scared animals.

But those days are gone and we're aware, now.

Chelmsford

Let's not wrap them.up in cotton wool

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Some idiot has just set one off round ours. The dog shit itself and now it’s hiding under the Christmas Tree

Chelmsford

"Some idiot has just set one off round ours. The dog shit itself and now it’s hiding under the Christmas Tree "

In October?

"

We do it with everything else "

The NYE London fireworks are being replaced with a laser and drone display instead

"Let's not wrap them.up in cotton wool "

Who?

Chelmsford

These buggers bring it on themselves

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

They are so dangerous and not essential to life, that it wouldn't matterx except to businesses and organisers, if they were cancelled.

Bolton

Speaking of displays, the Council here in Bolton have cancelled the fireworks display all because "they haven't got enough recourses or budget" to hold one this year. Basically, they've no money left.

When I heard this, I thought it's no wonder seeing they already blew their budget on the food and drink festival during the Summer and all them bicycle lanes they're building.

Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 15/10/21 06:50:45]

Nottingham

"Some idiot has just set one off round ours. The dog shit itself and now it’s hiding under the Christmas Tree

In October?"

Perfectly plausible. I don't know where you live, but round here the fireworks start up in October and don't stop until well into January. We call it "firework season".

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

No problem if they ban fireworks, I'll be around for a while to light your touch paper for you.

By *awpleasureMan  over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

"Some idiot has just set one off round ours. The dog shit itself and now it’s hiding under the Christmas Tree "

Brilliant mate lol

Chelmsford

Why do potential dog owners not think about bonfire night

Bolton

I've noticed that Northern Ireland have in laws in place mentioning that you need a licence to buy fireworks.

I think now is the time to do what they're doing and have a firework licencing law here in the UK but with the rules I mentioned before.

"I've noticed that Northern Ireland have in laws in place mentioning that you need a licence to buy fireworks.

I think now is the time to do what they're doing and have a firework licencing law here in the UK but with the rules I mentioned before."

Don't think so? As I know places selling select fireworks as long your over 18 and it's for private as garden as we going to my brother and he has one's for the kids before drink time lol.

Cumbria

Not really.

Yes, the same individual how swingers clubs closed down in big part as see us as antisocial.

But there's a big difference between someone wanting something banned, just because they don't like it, and someone wanting something banned using facts to show the harm it does.

"

Fireworks in the do very little harm to the majority and bring joy to millions swingers are far more likely to contract diseases that need medical attention for a far small number of people actively meeting so not convinced your rebuttal is just.

» Add a new message to this topic