FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Panic buys for Christmas reports in media

Panic buys for Christmas reports in media

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I fell for it with the petrol drivers shortage press reports and filled up our Range Rove to a full tank from just over half. Normally, I'd wait until it was about a third full before filling to max.

Press/media now reporting people stocking up for Xmas. I'm not falling for that and in contribuiting to shortages.

I have noted shortages but nothing extreme in supermarkets.

Are you topping up for Xmas?

Btw, we only celebrate christmas in the

a commercial sense like many, eg too much food/drink and presents not really required.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The best advice I could give anyone is not to believe everything you see or read in the media

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Stock up on what ?

There is food...... So people have to change what they usually eat - so what?

Just shows that Christmas wasn't about 'family' if they are heartbroken because they can't have 'stuffing' ......

A pan of scouse on a camp fire will do in the right company.

I might get a frozen turkey but that's all. If I get anything else it will be eaten long before Christmas.

It's not fair on people who can only afford to live day to day. Great boost to the economy though so maybe why they are alleging panic buying - and actually inciting it.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"The best advice I could give anyone is not to believe everything you see or read in the media "

You do know sex is being banned? Said so in the Guardian.

Nope, it seems a bit crazy to me, it’s only freaking October!!

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I am not surprised tbh, after the last Xmas shit show, people want this one to be big and awesome

"I am not surprised tbh, after the last Xmas shit show, people want this one to be big and awesome "

This^^

However bah, fuckin, humbug

I prefer Halloween Candy so I should be started stock pliling it in Feb

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

"Stock up on what ?

Just shows that Christmas wasn't about 'family' if they are heartbroken because they can't have 'stuffing' ......

A pan of scouse on a camp fire will do in the right company."

I'm not a huge fan of the Liverpool accent either but this seems excessive

LvM

"Stock up on what ?

Christmas isn't about religion or family. It's about showing off.

"Stock up on what ?

Thus is true me mum used to do me and my sisters pan of scouse leave it on the cooker warm it up with some bread butter !

Trying to educate southerners in to scouse winter warmer

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 10/10/21 09:36:15]

Nottingham

"Stock up on what ?

Christmas isn't about religion or family. It's about showing off. "

There's an element of performative conformity too. Everybody *has* to be seen to do it, and if you aren't perceived to be joining in as hard as you can, there is Something Wrong With You and you must be shunned.

Source: Ignoring Christmas for over twenty years, and still getting treated like a leper for it.

"Stock up on what ?

There's an element of performative conformity too. Everybody *has* to be seen to do it, and if you aren't perceived to be joining in as hard as you can, there is Something Wrong With You and you must be shunned.

Source: Ignoring Christmas for over twenty years, and still getting treated like a leper for it. "

There’s not a sign/hint of Xmas in my home now the kids are grown up and I don’t give to shits what society thinks of that

"The best advice I could give anyone is not to believe everything you see or read in the media "

true but me, my family, my friends, co-workers and millions of others fell for it.

"Stock up on what ?

Christmas isn't about religion or family. It's about showing off. "

Very true and some born again lot often take offence at my work [lave when they ask me, "do you celebrate christmas" and i say, 'yes but only in the commerical sense like most' - I'm not going to lie just to please them. The ask me just becuse they know having asked me that I'm not christain.

We celebrate all holidays in the uk in a commerical, family gathering sense

Btw, I'm sure you've noted this too but the usual types spend money they do not have on so-called shit presents just becuse "its christmas and me kids arent going without." Pay your bills and rent first I what I'd say to them.

Re Turkey, who cares as there is always other food

By *tefe-MartyCouple  over a year ago

Cambs

You mean to tell me their not 100% honest and truthful in the media

"Stock up on what ?

Source: Ignoring Christmas for over twenty years, and still getting treated like a leper for it.

There’s not a sign/hint of Xmas in my home now the kids are grown up and I don’t give to shits what society thinks of that "

Very true same here. with most of our parents on the other side and all siblings having their own failys etc grown up kids its nothing like when we were young or we had young kids.

Bottom line, the money makers pull in the vulnerable to spend money they can ill afford to spend.

Get your easter eggs quick

"The best advice I could give anyone is not to believe everything you see or read in the media

You mean to tell me their not 100% honest and truthful in the media

"

With respect, please show some respect to media. They are open and honest as all of our governments

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

For me Christmas is a bit of a non event, never understood all the hype.

I’ll share the company of some good friends for a few hours and you don’t buy that from the shops, sorted.

By * kiss like morphineMan  over a year ago

The gravelly bit next to the shed

The sooner we dont rely on shops but shops rely on us for christmas the better we can get back to not being commercial christmas drones.

My one loathe is losing my spirit through mass comnercial pressure.

No Christmas plans yet..

I've started Christmas shopping only because I'm trying not to have that big expense all at once, the only thing I haven't been really been able to find is wrapping paper! I did finally find some in the poundshop the other day so grabbed it while I saw it. If we can't have a proper Christmas dinner I won't lose any sleep!

Danish x

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"The best advice I could give anyone is not to believe everything you see or read in the media

You do know sex is being banned? Said so in the Guardian."

They probably miss-pelt sax

Stuff Xmas I've already started buying alcohol for next year's holiday!

"Stock up on what ?

There’s not a sign/hint of Xmas in my home now the kids are grown up and I don’t give to shits what society thinks of that

Very true same here. with most of our parents on the other side and all siblings having their own failys etc grown up kids its nothing like when we were young or we had young kids.

Bottom line, the money makers pull in the vulnerable to spend money they can ill afford to spend."

Agreed and Martin Lewis said it best by saying the best gift you can give anyone is to release them from spending

By *ake and ScribbleCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"Stock up on what ?

Thus is true me mum used to do me and my sisters pan of scouse leave it on the cooker warm it up with some bread butter !

Trying to educate southerners in to scouse winter warmer "

In Scotland it's stovies, food of the gods!

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

There are three things that make Christmas dinner different here, pigs in blankets, crackers and after eights for dessert. We have all that so no stress.

As for the rest of the meal, we will eat what is available a couple of days before and adapt if necessary.

It is just a relaxed day of games and laughter, with as little time as possible in the kitchen.

By *rs mischiefWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

I always start Christmas shopping early, buy a few cupboards bits each week. I buy the majority of presents in October and November so then I'm not short in cash in December and January. I stopped watching the news a long time ago.

Nottingham

"Stock up on what ?

Bottom line, the money makers pull in the vulnerable to spend money they can ill afford to spend.

Agreed and Martin Lewis said it best by saying the best gift you can give anyone is to release them from spending "

And yet, at best, people think you're weird, and at worst they get properly angry with you about it. "But I have to buy you *something*!"

No. No, you don't. That's what I've spent the last twenty minutes trying to explain. Stop making it weird.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

These stories are clickbait for the ad revenue. Just install an adblocker.

"Stock up on what ?

Agreed and Martin Lewis said it best by saying the best gift you can give anyone is to release them from spending

And yet, at best, people think you're weird, and at worst they get properly angry with you about it. "But I have to buy you *something*!"

No. No, you don't. That's what I've spent the last twenty minutes trying to explain. Stop making it weird. "

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

Well I’m getting worried, I’ve not been able to get my treacle toffee for two weeks now and I’m down to 7 packets, so can you all please just stop, treacle toffee is for life not just bonfire night, go buy sticky toffee apples instead.

» Add a new message to this topic