FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > First aider

First aider

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usman 199 OP   Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Morning all are you a first aider at your workplace . I am not at mine but have at previous jobs. If so have you ever had to put your skills into practice. I haven't thank goodness . Not that I wouldn't have an idea what to do just lucky that not called upon.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have been a qualified first aider for 30 years... had to use the knowledge too many times.

Now I am full time first aider and teach as well

Im a first responder anyway, so makes sense to have me weilding the band-aids!

Stockport

"I have been a qualified first aider for 30 years... had to use the knowledge too many times.

Now I am full time first aider and teach as well"

Stockport

"Im a first responder anyway, so makes sense to have me weilding the band-aids! "

First aider at work for 27 years. Proudest moment treating a multi casualty incident following an accident at work. I didn't realise until the following day just what I had did. The worst, finding out the good samaritan act is just what it is an act. Thankfully I recorded everything about the incident. Recommend that all first aid trained persons do this.

Stockport

"First aider at work for 27 years. Proudest moment treating a multi casualty incident following an accident at work. I didn't realise until the following day just what I had did. The worst, finding out the good samaritan act is just what it is an act. Thankfully I recorded everything about the incident. Recommend that all first aid trained persons do this. "
brilliant

Not through work as I’m on the waiting list but have done paediatric first aid course a couple of years ago.

Stockport

"Not through work as I’m on the waiting list but have done paediatric first aid course a couple of years ago. "
good on you

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I was for many years at my old workplace. The most memorable incidents were someone cutting the end of their finger off, someone running over their own foot with a powered pallet truck, and someone having a heart attack (thankfully didn't stop breathing and I just kept him comfortable until the ambulance arrived)

By *anae21Woman  over a year ago

Nearer than you think

Yes, have been a first aider since 1988. It's an important life skill!

I’ve been a first aider for years, had some hairy moments when I was in the military, now I work from home myself so technically still the on-site first aider

I am and I have had to use it too.

By *exysuzi and Mr.SCouple  over a year ago

CONISTON .Stoke Suburbia. Staffs. BARMOUTH. The Lakes (Monthly)

A&E nurse so a bit more advanced than BLS or first aider. Outside of work I assisted the police on CPR on the canal towpath last December, till the helicopter reached us. Sadly as we knew the guy never made it but had to try.

By * Sophie xTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

I've been a first aider for 2 years now and never had to put it to use yet.

I've got my refresher in December as well so I'll find out how much I've forgotten.

Been a first aider since 2017 part of the job dealt with various first aid incidents a couple of de fib deployments and use

"A&E nurse so a bit more advanced than BLS or first aider. Outside of work I assisted the police on CPR on the canal towpath last December, till the helicopter reached us. Sadly as we knew the guy never made it but had to try. "

I'm one of the guys that brings you your patients... not at your hospital though

I am and I did, but it was only to apply a plaster. Just call me your hero

By *exysuzi and Mr.SCouple  over a year ago

CONISTON .Stoke Suburbia. Staffs. BARMOUTH. The Lakes (Monthly)

"A&E nurse so a bit more advanced than BLS or first aider. Outside of work I assisted the police on CPR on the canal towpath last December, till the helicopter reached us. Sadly as we knew the guy never made it but had to try.

I'm one of the guys that brings you your patients... not at your hospital though "

We love you guys . Xxxx

By *iltopbearMan  over a year ago

Norfolk

I've been a trained first aider since my late teens. I've needed to administer first aid a few times over the years.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Not now but have been. Some guy came to me complaining about stomach ache I told him to get back to work , and if he wants to throw a sickie he doesn’t need my permission. He never showed up the next day and had been rushed into hospital with a suspected appendicitis. Another time a temp was cutting away thick cable sheath / outer with a Stanley knife , towards rather than away from his hand. He slipped and came to me squirting blood with a dangly thumb, I wrapped it up in a towel, tied it above his heart, watched out for shock and drove him straight to a&e and they managed to sew it back on

By *xhibitionisticvoyeurMan  over a year ago

wrexham

First aider for a decade, I'm also the company h&s officer now so get to try and prevent these situations entirely.

Luckily I've never had any major injuries to deal with.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

More than a first aider and have had to use it too many times

"Not through work as I’m on the waiting list but have done paediatric first aid course a couple of years ago. good on you "

Thanks! After my son swallowed something and turned blue it was much needed. X

By *affron40Woman  over a year ago

manchester

I am and had to use my skills several times.. customer had a heart attack in my restaurant and a small child was choking in another business. Scary stuff.

I am, this has meant that i can cover the medical room when we're short staffed.

I'm actually thinking do i really want to renew when I'm due, the acutally course gives me so much anxiety. Having to show what i would do in a situation, i hate acting.

I'm lucky to have had the same woman assessing us each time so she's gotten to know me and my capabilities.

But i am already dreading doing it again

"Not through work as I’m on the waiting list but have done paediatric first aid course a couple of years ago. good on you

Thanks! After my son swallowed something and turned blue it was much needed. X "

This isnthe point... we need to get away from the assumption it is "Forst Aid at Work". This stuff happens everywhere

I'm a first aider at work. Never had to use it for anything serious though.

It’s an invaluable skill, I’ve a few slightly more advanced ones through my jon, and unfortunately had to use it many times from mass traumas bleeds, heart attacks, strokes, heat exhaustion and 1 snake bite.

By *EAT..85Woman  over a year ago

Nottingham

In Guiding, yes. In work, no. Its a nightmare to hold the role at work and only newbies take the training unrealising of the crapness of the responsibility.

First aid/trauma trained since forever. Had to use it a few times too..

Stockport

"First aid/trauma trained since forever. Had to use it a few times too.."
good on you my friend

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Have been for about 8 years and also Rec3 as part of a search and rescue team that I used to be a member of.

Only had to use my skills once at work when my immediate superior almost lost a finger in a forklift accident and I dealt with it until the paramedics arrived.

"First aid/trauma trained since forever. Had to use it a few times too..good on you my friend "

Some of it was 5 years helicopter casevac, assisting the paramedics. Scary stuff, as we only did critical/life threatening but we never lost anyone we got to in time.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I am. Only had to deal with basic stuff at work but have stopped to help members of the public and at wheelchair basketball. The most important was the time I dealt with a child ch0king on a sweet on a bus. It was so matter-of-fact and the mother got off the bus almost immediately, didn't say anything to me. It was weird but I knew what I'd done had saved her daughter's life. Weird!

» Add a new message to this topic