FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dog food

Dog food

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *andsome_Chef88 OP   Man  over a year ago

London/Milton Keynes

Dog owners.

Do you feed your dogs wet or dry food and why?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dry food here as it’s better for their teeth! I know it’s quite ‘fashionable’ to feed raw though these days!

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I used to mix up a bit of both just to be awkward haha

"Dog owners.

Do you feed your dogs wet or dry food and why?"

Neither. I feed a raw diet

"Dog owners.

Do you feed your dogs wet or dry food and why?

Neither. I feed a raw diet "

Dry + raw.

Also whatever our daughter slips her, she is a feeder and the dog is her best friend so we often find the little one sat in the dogs bed feeding her stuff from the fridge.

She's an older dog so letting her enjoy it while she can.

"Dry food here as it’s better for their teeth! I know it’s quite ‘fashionable’ to feed raw though these days! "

Not fashionable, it's called a species appropriate diet and people have fed it for years.

Pet dog is dry and working dogs are raw.

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

A mixture of both, but both grain free and with a high protein content (and less fillers). I'd love to feed him raw but he won't take to it.

By *_and_J2021Couple  over a year ago

Swindon

We feed raw.

a mixture of both

"Dry food here as it’s better for their teeth! I know it’s quite ‘fashionable’ to feed raw though these days!

Not fashionable, it's called a species appropriate diet and people have fed it for years. "

Years ago it was rarely heard of or talked about.

Each to their own... I only really care what I feed my own dog.

Have a good day!

By *llaboutthewifeCouple  over a year ago

Cardiff

Dry here, he is a grazer and nibbles throughout the day

Jo x

By *ickyquimCouple  over a year ago

north west

Raw, for my old dog and kibble at the moment for the new pup.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Dry food here as it’s better for their teeth! I know it’s quite ‘fashionable’ to feed raw though these days!

Not fashionable, it's called a species appropriate diet and people have fed it for years. "

Not fashionable indeed, just wised up to the bullshit that is the processed dog food industry.

The ingredients that are allowed to be put in to pet food is shocking (one of the ingredients is chocolate waste).

Won't ever go back to any other feed. I could go in deeper about the whole thing, science and health reasons but it would be a hell of an essay.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

We give ours cooked chicken, harrington biscuits and applaws dog food tins. She is fussy so we mix it up fairly frequently.

My dogs fed a raw diet, I add to it with natural yogurt and raw eggs

I used to feed my chihuahua burns dry dog food, he picked at it all day. One day at 6 years old i tried a wet meat and he loved it, it was like he was a differnt dog so carried on with wet meat... it made him happy

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

My puppy has kibble but we mix it up with scrambled eggs, mackerel, natural yogurt, veg. He is spoilt! I have read you shouldn't mix raw and dry because it upsets their tummies.

By *inAndTonic21Couple  over a year ago

Merseyside

Dry here for our dogs

By *mily36CWoman  over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

"My dogs fed a raw diet, I add to it with natural yogurt and raw eggs "

Same as this^ ...then honey for natural imminunity and garlic for flea treatment

"My dogs fed a raw diet, I add to it with natural yogurt and raw eggs

Same as this^ ...then honey for natural imminunity and garlic for flea treatment "

*immunity

Same as this^ ...then honey for natural imminunity and garlic for flea treatment "

I hadn’t thought about the garlic, does it make them smell

By *orraine999Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere

A mixture of wet and dry, Grain free and high protein.

I’ll add chicken and a little coconut oil to their meal.

My diabetic pup gets dry food in the morning before I giver her her insulin.

Mine has dried food, with id say cooked but its more heated meat on the bone as standard, the dried food because shes greedy,

O maybe the odd bacon butty and cup of tea

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

Same as this^ ...then honey for natural imminunity and garlic for flea treatment

I hadn’t thought about the garlic, does it make them smell "

I thought garlic (and the entire onion family) was toxic to dogs...it damages their blood cells. Diatomaceous earth is a good natural parasite treatment...in their food for internal parasites, and on their skin for external.

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

Not fashionable, it's called a species appropriate diet and people have fed it for years.

Not fashionable indeed, just wised up to the bullshit that is the processed dog food industry.

The ingredients that are allowed to be put in to pet food is shocking (one of the ingredients is chocolate waste).

Won't ever go back to any other feed. I could go in deeper about the whole thing, science and health reasons but it would be a hell of an essay. "

I am fully behind you there. Even expensive dog foods are not appropriate.

How is my Spaniel supposed to plant, dig up, peel and then boil sweet potatoes without opposable thumbs ?

So, without being too provocative, do you apply the same rules to yourself? No processed foods and only ancestorially appropriate?

By *udistcpl1Couple  over a year ago

Wirral

We are not dog owners but I'd be interested to know how much it costs to feed an average sized dog per month.

Dry food for my two, they love wet and raw but their tummies disagree with their taste buds

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

"We are not dog owners but I'd be interested to know how much it costs to feed an average sized dog per month. "

To be honest that all depends on what you feed them, you can spend a little or a lot. I’m not trying to be evasive it’s just how it is. The food for my dog that weighs 15kg costs about £80 a month

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Dry mostly the lab will eat anything but spaniel likes a bit of tinned food with it or he wont allways eat it! Prefer dry as dont attract the flies x

Feed raw food miles better for them

I hadn’t thought about the garlic, does it make them smell "

Not noticed as such in between the damp dog smell now it's rain season and the fox poo rolling ...Id take garlic above both

Ours gets a mix of wet and dry complete food

They won't eat dry food on its own

Liverpool

Won't ever go back to any other feed. I could go in deeper about the whole thing, science and health reasons but it would be a hell of an essay.

I am fully behind you there. Even expensive dog foods are not appropriate.

How is my Spaniel supposed to plant, dig up, peel and then boil sweet potatoes without opposable thumbs ?

So, without being too provocative, do you apply the same rules to yourself? No processed foods and only ancestorially appropriate? "

While I attempt to, my dogs eat far better than I do

By *ink Panther.Woman  over a year ago

Preston

My fur baby has switched from dry food to wet food. I made the switch because she has an allergy to storage mites. They can be present in dry food when purchased so it made sense. We stayed with the same brand though.

She has various dog treats for training etc

Besides dog food there are a few human food items she has. She has chicken, rice and tuna if she’s off her food or ill. The other things she has as treats are cucumber, cheese, strawberries and banana in an apple juice based smoothie and ham to administer her medication

Our blue eyed boy won't eat dog food just money wasted, his diet would be full chicken, chicken breast plus drums and steaks cooked rare plus he enjoys steak pie and quiche due to the eggs.

"Our blue eyed boy won't eat dog food just money wasted, his diet would be full chicken, chicken breast plus drums and steaks cooked rare plus he enjoys steak pie and quiche due to the eggs."

Forgot to mention cheese and rice especially chicken egg fried rice when we make homemade curry.

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Would never feed raw! I would vomit ! x

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Our blue eyed boy won't eat dog food just money wasted, his diet would be full chicken, chicken breast plus drums and steaks cooked rare plus he enjoys steak pie and quiche due to the eggs.

Forgot to mention cheese and rice especially chicken egg fried rice when we make homemade curry."

I always do a bit of extra rice for my lab. He also has cheese, strawberries, Apple, blueberries, liver. I'm quite envious of his diet actually!

The pup has kibble. We transitioned him off raw.

As well as that we keep trying him on different foods and so far he wolfs it all - sweet potato ‘crisps’ are one of his favourites

By *erfectman122Man  over a year ago

from somewhere nice

My dog has chicken and rice and dry foods

He has a mix of trays (forthglade or similar) and kibble.

Beware tho, i was over feeding my mistake so recommend you check on manufacturer website for serving suggestion..

Keen to meet other fab dog walkers locally (Bristol)...

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgowish

Dry food. I feed them on James Wellbeloved which I buy at the pet shop. Better for their teeth and recommended by the vet.

Liverpool

"Dry food. I feed them on James Wellbeloved which I buy at the pet shop. Better for their teeth and recommended by the vet."

Most vets have some sort of commission or deal with certain pet food brands. In addition most vets are not nutritionists, they know the basic dietary needs of the animal not the advanced specifics. That's not any disrespect to Vets, I am good friends with some, including an ex of mine. Nutrition is one of the briefest parts their training.

Some are sponsored and get commission for selling certain brands, but that is a very minor amount of their income that it would be unfair to say they are swayed by that incentive.

Vets as a whole are divided by raw vs processed. However as more and more of them bother to do the research and additional training/learning about it they become converted.

Dry dog food doesn't actually do anything for their teeth overall, it can still collect and cause plaque, much more than they claim it removes. Daily brushing and chew toys will always be the most effective preventive dental care.

» Add a new message to this topic