FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Death Penalty

Death Penalty

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usman 199 OP   Man  over a year ago

Stockport

I'm sure all us folk are law abiding get on with our lives . Do the majority of working class honest folk like myself have conversations at work about bringing back the death penalty. If beyond any doubt you are guilty of any heinous crime then a life for a life .

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’ve had this conversation in the past but no one would go there now as I’m a firm believer that capital punishment can never be justified.

Yes, I been through all the arguments, heard all the what ifs and you’d feel different if it happened to you but I can say that hand on heart I still believe it’s wrong and that this wouldn’t change if it happened to my family.

By *usman 199 OP   Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"I’ve had this conversation in the past but no one would go there now as I’m a firm believer that capital punishment can never be justified.

Yes, I been through all the arguments, heard all the what ifs and you’d feel different if it happened to you but I can say that hand on heart I still believe it’s wrong and that this wouldn’t change if it happened to my family.

"

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Only if you can be sure that the government would never, ever, ever make a mistake.

Are you confident that the government would *never* get it wrong and execute the wrong person?

The amount of miscarriages of justice that have happened in my lifetime would have meant that the state would have killed many innocent people.

Even if that wasn't the case where do you draw the line? Taking a life is wrong.

By *elshkinkyMan  over a year ago

south wales

Not for me…. Incarceration for life but not death

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

That makes us as bad as the person committing the crime

So...

By *ussexualMan  over a year ago

Brighton

Too many miscarriages of justice

Too much inequality in society (easier for wealthy to avoid with good lawyers)

Makes society as bad as the criminals

Doesn't work as a deterrent

Can be used by government to target those elements that it doesn't like

Expensive (costs more in the states to execute than it does to imprison for life)

By *asilyled1Man  over a year ago

ogmore valley

If I knew 100% that they’d only kill the right ones involved ie murderers etc then I’d say yes. Am I confident they can do that…no. That’s the part that makes me not want it back here

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"If I knew 100% that they’d only kill the right ones involved ie murderers etc then I’d say yes. Am I confident they can do that…no. That’s the part that makes me not want it back here "

Do you not think in this day and age it’s different and it can be 100%?

Paradise, Herts

"That makes us as bad as the person committing the crime

So..."

I don’t agree with this. It’s a punishment.

ogmore valley

"If I knew 100% that they’d only kill the right ones involved ie murderers etc then I’d say yes. Am I confident they can do that…no. That’s the part that makes me not want it back here

Do you not think in this day and age it’s different and it can be 100%?"

It could possibly be nora.but then could they get it right every single time? I’m not so sure.

Manchester (she/her)

"If I knew 100% that they’d only kill the right ones involved ie murderers etc then I’d say yes. Am I confident they can do that…no. That’s the part that makes me not want it back here

Is it 100% in the US?

Paradise, Herts

It could possibly be nora.but then could they get it right every single time? I’m not so sure. "

Then if it’s not 100% it doesn’t happen. It could never be that in the past. These days I think it can.

Paradise, Herts

Is it 100% in the US?"

I said it can be.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

It’s a no for me, for many reasons

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

There's no evidence it actually works as a deterrent.

There's plenty of evidence it kills innocent people.

Those two facts should be enough to convince anyone it's a bad idea.

why should someone who has comited a terrible crime get away with death??

i say we should make life as hard for them as possable, no more tv comfey bed and 3 meals a day, make thier life as hellish as we can

By *andysbackbitchesTV/TS  over a year ago

Sunny old lemner

"Only if you can be sure that the government would never, ever, ever make a mistake.

Are you confident that the government would *never* get it wrong and execute the wrong person?"

Exactly this!

Paradise, Herts

"why should someone who has comited a terrible crime get away with death??

i say we should make life as hard for them as possable, no more tv comfey bed and 3 meals a day, make thier life as hellish as we can"

That won’t happen though. That’s the problem otherwise I’d agree. Human rights and all that

I'm all for the death penalty to those who are 100% guilty. I think some people are monsters and do not deserve to live. But people are rotting in jails for crimes that they never committed, and that's the only thing that would make me disagree with it.

i say we should make life as hard for them as possable, no more tv comfey bed and 3 meals a day, make thier life as hellish as we can"

Paradise, Herts

"I'm all for the death penalty to those who are 100% guilty. I think some people are monsters and do not deserve to live. But people are rotting in jails for crimes that they never committed, and that's the only thing that would make me disagree with it."

Agree. Hence my other comments.

By *melia DominaTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"Only if you can be sure that the government would never, ever, ever make a mistake.

Are you confident that the government would *never* get it wrong and execute the wrong person?"

I am sure there is an oxymoron in there somewhere!!

Much as I'd like to chop the balls of the rapists and kiddie fiddlers and let them bleed until they are a carcass of skin and bone, I think as a human you need to remove yourself from the aspect killing. It makes you no different to a murderer.

It is not the right attitude.

But for sport and TV can we have all the drug barons and pushers put in a cage with tigers and have a pay for view!

By *host63Man  over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"I'm sure all us folk are law abiding get on with our lives . Do the majority of working class honest folk like myself have conversations at work about bringing back the death penalty. If beyond any doubt you are guilty of any heinous crime then a life for a life ."

Too many cases of the wrong person being killed. Anyway you can only kill someone once. I belive there are crimes so bad that life without parole is a better sentence.

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

Nope. People make mistakes. Nothing can ever be 100% everytime.

They 'will' make a mistake at somepoint and that is 1 mistake too many.

ogmore valley

It could possibly be nora.but then could they get it right every single time? I’m not so sure.

Then if it’s not 100% it doesn’t happen. It could never be that in the past. These days I think it can. "

oh in some cases I think it can. And the ones that deserve it I think should face it. But say it comes back next year for example,could I be 100% that in 20 years time something might come to light and fine out they for the wrong person? I couldn’t be 100% no

By *tooveMan  over a year ago

belfast

I'm all for the death penalty. Some people are scum and aren't worth living.

south wales

Then if it’s not 100% it doesn’t happen. It could never be that in the past. These days I think it can. "

If you think 100% is the only level then it would not happen… crime is not always about the act itself but about the criminal intent … if you can argue mental health issues then you cant have intent …. That argument could go on forever and be always challenged … Derek Bentley is also a good example of why it shouldn’t be used

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I'm sure all us folk are law abiding get on with our lives . Do the majority of working class honest folk like myself have conversations at work about bringing back the death penalty. If beyond any doubt you are guilty of any heinous crime then a life for a life ."

Society is wider than 'the working class' be they honest , law abiding or not.

No I do not want to see the death penalty returned.

By *icknmix500Man  over a year ago

South Gloucestershire

Oh yes bring it back

But the government is scared to put it to the vote because they know what will happen !

Warwick

Also, the problem with the death penalty is people using it as a form of suicide.

Suicide by police and death penalty is a thing and people who want to die but can't do it, do awful crimes to force the police / judges hands into doing it for them.

So bringing it back, could actually increase the number of awful crimes in which the death penalty is warrented.

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

"That makes us as bad as the person committing the crime

So...

I don’t agree with this. It’s a punishment. "

Punishment is prison or locked up

King's Crustacean

Is that okay to treat others in that way ?

The punishment is loss of freedom to operate in wider society.

Why would we persecute them like christ on a cross and starve them etc ?

What kind of people want to do that ?

Those saying bring it back, do you give thought to who is expected to basically kill another person as part of their job and the potential long term effects of it?

They have the death penalty in some states in America, is it a deterrent? I'd say not so much.

i say we should make life as hard for them as possable, no more tv comfey bed and 3 meals a day, make thier life as hellish as we can

What kind of people want to do that ?"

I want to do that lmaoooo.

Some people deserve it Granny.

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

What kind of people want to do that ?"

But by the sane token why should a convicted murderer - for example - be looked after far better than anyone else in our current godforsaken society?

Couzens, to use the most obvious example, is probably going to be looked after round the clock, at our mutual expense, for the next 40 years....

I don't actually know which way I'd vote ultimately if there were a decision to be made, as I can see both sides of the argument. But it does irk me that we often treat prisoners better than our own elderly

"I’ve had this conversation in the past but no one would go there now as I’m a firm believer that capital punishment can never be justified.

"

I'm with you on this!

"But by the sane token why should a convicted murderer - for example - be looked after far better than anyone else in our current godforsaken society?

Couzens, to use the most obvious example, is probably going to be looked after round the clock, at our mutual expense, for the next 40 years....

I don't actually know which way I'd vote ultimately if there were a decision to be made, as I can see both sides of the argument. But it does irk me that we often treat prisoners better than our own elderly"

If anything I’ve ever heard , read or watched about prison is even slightly true a convicted murderer who is ex police is not going to have a nice prison experience

I don't agree with the death penalty, it's far too lenient on the offender. However, I feel that for the more horrendous offenders, - Couzens, Lee Rigby's killers etc should get far harsher prison time. No luxuries, basic nutrition, no visitors and hard work.

This would be perfect to make a real life running man or hunger games. All the scummy murderers rapists and pedo’s get lobbed together. Last one standing is allowed to live in a cell by themselves with just a bed and a toilet. No tv, radio, nothing. You’re only reward for surviving is just that. You survived and you can think about your actions that led you to jail in the first place.

With the technology we have nowadays, it is more likely that someone found guilty for whatever did do it. Yes there are mistakes but I think it’s few and far between. My personal opinion is that jails should just give the basic needs to prisoners. If someone gets life, why should they live better than a pensioner. Meals, heating, tv etc. Fuck that. Give them the slop that the government are serving to the people having to isolate in their hotels..

By *amesoflondonMan  over a year ago

London

Too many miscarriages of justice. Certainly agree that 'whole life' sentences should come without any comfort. Many harder years that other inmates, unprotected from other inmates (who have a hall pass to do as they will), then solitary to consider ... and maybe, just maybe the option for the family to agree/deny the chance for that convict elect to be killed as they killed, or just rot in solitary. Maybe too far? But, the Miss Everard case has me so furious, there should be payback, rehabilitation and comfort should not options we collectively pay for for those beasts. As a cop, on a sexual conviction, he's likely going to wish he was dead very soon.

By *eisty LadyWoman  over a year ago

Count Your Blessings Cottage, Gratitude Grove

Far less miscarriages of justice with today’s DNA, forensics and CCTV.

Where there is overwhelming evidence like the above and an admission I definitely think the death penalty is justifiable. Especially in cases of child victims, multiple victims and breach of trust like police officers.

Prison is not punishment like it was in the past. It’s just not harsh enough

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

I’m anti capital punishment.

In the UK alone there’s been many a miscarriage of justice resulting in innocent people being hanged. The burden of evidence has been showing many a time to not always hold up, by that time an innocent person was killed.

In the US, we see death row inmates having their executions stayed or retrials, some sit for 30+ years on death row awaiting execution, given the US constitution prohibits cruel & unusual punishment, sitting on death row for that amount of time is psychological punishment and most definitely would fit “cruel”.

The risk of killing an innocent person is way too high in capital trials.

If the case against an accused isn't proven beyond all doubt, then they can't be convicted. Despite this, there have been miscarriages of justice and people subsequently released on evidence that comes to light years later. Also, it's not hard to forensically 'frame' someone for a crime if you know what you are doing. There is also always the potential for human error in investigations.

So, much as I would like to be able to support the death penalty for certain crimes, I know the system is fallible.

I take heart from the fact that so many life term prisoners are spending the rest of their natural trying to appeal and get out or to other prisons and live in daily fear of violence. I’d rather they had 40-50 years until death inside being as miserable as possible.

Manchester (she/her)

"There's no evidence it actually works as a deterrent.

There's plenty of evidence it kills innocent people.

Those two facts should be enough to convince anyone it's a bad idea. "

And this.

Due to very personal reasons, i wholeheartedly back the death penalty. As long as it is proven beyond a shadow of doubt, then it should stand.

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

I wouldn't agree with the death penalty given how the system has failed in past and even now at present still fails life should mean life even if it's premeditated to a very serious offence this was the case way back in the 80s even on this needs to be undoubtedly evidence to back this I think a polygraph test just be imposed in law and the excuse is that people would pass this,more like it would show the system hasn't worked and a huge majority in prison are actually innocent it's a numbers game that's why crimes get worse the system would rather have someone stealing in prison then someone who has groomed or attempted to meet a child in prison these should be in prison a long time until no longer a risk as well as those who commit acts of violence proven via the test ....

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

IF things were 100% unquestionable without mitigating circumstances and the culprit made it quite clear they'd continue their behaviour, I would let the victim/family impacted by the crime decide based on how they felt justice would be best served and offer them some possible closure.

However the IF is never gonna happen, so the answer is no.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

"I’m anti capital punishment.

In the UK alone there’s been many a miscarriage of justice resulting in innocent people being hanged. The burden of evidence has been showing many a time to not always hold up, by that time an innocent person was killed.

In the US, we see death row inmates having their executions stayed or retrials, some sit for 30+ years on death row awaiting execution, given the US constitution prohibits cruel & unusual punishment, sitting on death row for that amount of time is psychological punishment and most definitely would fit “cruel”.

The risk of killing an innocent person is way too high in capital trials. "

Very few if any of those on death row are rich either. If you can afford the best defence Lawyers you can easily be next O J Simpson.

Death sentences are generally great at culling the poor.

only for pedophiles. i guess thats a lot of politicians and royal family members that need the chopping block then.

No wonder epstein was executed.

I think taking someone's life takes something away from a person's soul, as if it's against the very laws of nature. Killing someone can never be justified.

By *rhugesMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

So if someone murdered one of your children you wouldn't want them dead??

By *onlywishiMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

There are cases where there will no doubt or they have given a statement they did the crime ?

So if there is no doubt then why should we spend more money on keeping these people in prison on a better standard of living than some people struggle to maintain through working and paying to have them in a prison that will look after them for the rest of their lives ?

Bet they don’t have too worry about feeding themselves? Keeping warm ? Or looking after their family?

Which we as tax payers will have to do ?

Sorry just my opinion?

Having seen friends die serving their country why should these people live

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

One aspect of the death penalty brought out before it was removed was it raises the risk for the criminal so they try to "tidy up" after if they can. For example as a result, instead of running away, they will turn on and try and kill witnesses.

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

It's a no from me. Taking a life regardless of the crime doesn't sit comfortably with me. However if it was a crime committed against someone I cared about my thoughts might be different. That's why family members should never have a say in what punishment should be given to the person who committed the crime

Cheshire

"So if someone murdered one of your children you wouldn't want them dead??"

Yes, so tie them to a chair and leave me and their Mother with a variety of weapons to go at him or her.

That’s not going to happen is it ?

So why does he/ she get as painless death as possible whilst we live with the pain ?

Let them rot as we as a society aren’t as disgusting as that person. Knowing they’re living an awful life may give me some respite.

By *ecadent_DevonMan  over a year ago

Okehampton

“An eye for an eye will make us all blind”

Paradise, Herts

"There are cases where there will no doubt or they have given a statement they did the crime ?

So if there is no doubt then why should we spend more money on keeping these people in prison on a better standard of living than some people struggle to maintain through working and paying to have them in a prison that will look after them for the rest of their lives ?

Bet they don’t have too worry about feeding themselves? Keeping warm ? Or looking after their family?

Which we as tax payers will have to do ?

Sorry just my opinion?

Having seen friends die serving their country why should these people live "

Don’t ever be sorry for your opinion. Just because it may not be the majority one. It’s no less valid.

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

[Removed by poster at 30/09/21 15:25:39]

Newcastle

We may have it forced in our faces should sharia law be taken up ?? It will of course be shown in the media?

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

To start with, I’m vehemently opposed to the death penalty, it’s not a punishment, it’s eradication.

My biggest issue with it however is that it is a doorway, and once reopened, it gives authorities more leeway about what they consider worthy of being out to death. They start with the argument that criminally insane child torturers and murderers who will never be able to be rereleased back into society are better off dead, and that argument is so emotive that it quickly gains ground, but once the option of the death penalty is there, then it’s easier to put other crimes in that category. They lobby for terrorists to be put to death, then mass murderers and there’s little argument, then say that it takes so long to get these changes put through that they need to have more powers to be able to make these changes faster, and find a case of something like paedophilia to incense the public, and then more and more ‘enemies of the state’ can be summarily executed, then all it takes is a more extreme government to come into power (look at trump!) and all of a sudden it’s immigrants, or gays, or political opponents. And all from opening that door!

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Too many fuck-ups to do something irreversible.

Chesterfield

"We may have it forced in our faces should sharia law be taken up ?? It will of course be shown in the media? "

Take your tinfoil dunce’s hat and go and sit in the corner.

Newcastle

Lol so you’ll be happy with social media showing Afghan people who worked for your country being punished just because they did that ?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

"So if someone murdered one of your children you wouldn't want them dead??"

No. To want to kill someone is based on hate. Hate never leads to good. Hate will consume you.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

For people such as the case in news today I'd say the death penalty is too quick, painless and the easy way out. Unlike what his victim suffered.

He will need to sleep with one eye open in prison for the rest of his life.

belfast

"Those saying bring it back, do you give thought to who is expected to basically kill another person as part of their job and the potential long term effects of it?

They have the death penalty in some states in America, is it a deterrent? I'd say not so much. "

It's not a deterrent at all but it does stop scum reoffending.

Chesterfield

"He will need to sleep with one eye open in prison for the rest of his life."

Absolutely this.

belfast

"only for pedophiles. i guess thats a lot of politicians and royal family members that need the chopping block then.

No wonder epstein was executed. "

Boring.

King's Crustacean

I want to do that lmaoooo.

Some people deserve it Granny. "

Death by Buttercream ........

I'd be up for that ! I'm vegan tho .....

Can you do death by coconut cream ?

belfast

"He will need to sleep with one eye open in prison for the rest of his life.

Absolutely this. "

He won't though.

King's Crustacean

But by the sane token why should a convicted murderer - for example - be looked after far better than anyone else in our current godforsaken society?

I don't actually know which way I'd vote ultimately if there were a decision to be made, as I can see both sides of the argument. But it does irk me that we often treat prisoners better than our own elderly"

Depends on your perspective. The needs of the elderly cannot be compared with the taking away of a murderers liberty.

Newcastle

I know Fred west took the easy way out but he did save us tax payers an awful lot of money ?

Just wish he’d helped the police find all the bodies so that the families could at least find a little peace before he did !!

[Removed by poster at 30/09/21 16:00:50]

[Removed by poster at 30/09/21 16:01:12]

By *he_Last_TitanMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"If beyond any doubt you are guilty of any heinous crime then a life for a life ."

See, it’s this last sentence that provides me with a problem. History suggests we’re just not that conclusive.

The death penalty is needed. There was a guy recently who forcefully had sex with two young girls and then murdered them in the 80s who has been released in parole. He is no use to society and should have been hung years ago.

Sorry, kept having typos in original post.

Death penalty is permitted in America yet it still has a very high murder. It’s not a deterrent

Chesterfield

Penal system in America is a bit of a special case. It’s basically modern slavvery.

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

One of the problems is that even if you support the death penalty for the most heinous crimes when there is absolute certainty as to who did it, that is not how it is going to be applied. The application will always be broader, risking killing the innocent (e.g. Timothy Evans) or undeserving (e.g. Derek Bentley)

There is a tiny number of people for whom I wouldn't shed a tear for if they were executed (though I don't seek or demand it), but for the reason above, I am glad there is no death penalty in this country.

By *ed VoluptaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral.

A civilised society can never condone execution. And apart from a handful of attrocious human beings, the UK is still pretty damn civilised.

UK justice system is the envy of the world, but even we have got it wrong on occasion. No reprieve if you've already executed someone.

Furthermore, it's clearly the poor that would suffer, just as it is in USA.

Though, interestingly, some USA states do have the death penalty, but choose not to use in & incarcerate for life, instead (New York).

If someone r#ped/murdered a member of my family? I want to see them executed. But I WOULD like to see them punished, rather than rehabilitated as we do in this country. We currently have a crisis in out prisons, meaning many offenders are deemed "worthy of rejoining society" and released early on licence, as we need the space. THAT doesn't sit right with me.

I don't know what the answer is - build more prisons? - but it's certainly not state sanctioned murder.

The other side of the argument is...It will cost @£2mil+ to keep Couzens inside for his whole life term. Is everyone happy knowing that their taxes are going towards keeping him comfortable in prison?

By *jEuphoriaCouple  over a year ago

north kent

Yes.

Ruislip

"The death penalty is needed. There was a guy recently who forcefully had sex with two young girls and then murdered them in the 80s who has been released in parole. He is no use to society and should have been hung years ago.

Sorry, kept having typos in original post."

Why does that make death needed as opposed to a longer prison sentence?

Wirral.

"The other side of the argument is...It will cost @£2mil+ to keep Couzens inside for his whole life term. Is everyone happy knowing that their taxes are going towards keeping him comfortable in prison?"

My taxes get used for a lot of things I'm unhappy with. I still don't want to kill someone because of it

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

"The other side of the argument is...It will cost @£2mil+ to keep Couzens inside for his whole life term. Is everyone happy knowing that their taxes are going towards keeping him comfortable in prison?"

If your argument is “taxpayer money” then it’s a poor example.

He’ll be serving life, he’ll never walk free again. But putting someone to the gallows means there’s more victims other than the aggrieved victims family.

The person being killed will not suffer, it’ll be his family as no doubt they are now with what he’s done. Why would you want to inflict that on innocent people?

[Removed by poster at 30/09/21 16:18:37]

Bedfont Feltham

No doubt you are thinking about crouzer. No I don't think he should die. He has been given life with no possibility of parol ever.

He is an ex copper and a nonce he is going to have a big fat target on his back in prison and he is going to suffer.

You can only kill someone once

Wirral.

For anyone who wants to see the death penalty restored in this country, what crime would warrant it? Murder? R@pe? Armed robbery??

*Your well behaved son intervenes in a pub fight & an unlucky punch kills a brawler. Should he die?

*Your 17yr old son is in a relationship with a girl 2 years younger. They love each other & consummate their relationship. Should he be hung?

*Your daughter is desperate for money, gets in with a wrong crowd & ends up being the getaway driver for an armed robbery. She never held a gun in her life. Should she be electrocuted?

It's just not black & white, is it? Who makes these decisions.

By *pellboundCouple  over a year ago

Derby and North Wales

What is the point in keeping an animal like couzens alive?

Why should my money pay for his care?

Please could someone explain.

I cannot understand any argument that says this is the right and just thing to do.

This is madness

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I'm working class and honest ( not sure what that has to do with the price of fish but hey ho)but I don't support the death penalty, no.

Cheshire

"What is the point in keeping an animal like couzens alive?

I cannot understand any argument that says this is the right and just thing to do.

This is madness"

There’s a whole thread giving you reasons.

By *pellboundCouple  over a year ago

Derby and North Wales

I don’t believe that there is a whole thread giving any reasons what so ever

There are long list of excuses why we now supposedly think that we are better than that

Of people knew that they would be hung, maybe they would think twice

If pedos knew that they would be whipped and castrated, maybe just maybe they would keep it in their pocket

Instead, our prisons are overflowing with these people just bidding their time to get out and do it again

Bedfont Feltham

No doubt you are thinking about crouzer. No I don't think he should die. He has been given life with no possibility of parol ever.

He is an ex copper and a nonce he is going to have a big fat target on his back in prison and he is going to suffer.

You can only kill someone once

I find the idea of people being so outraged by murderers that they think the only suitable punishment for them is for them to be murdered to be quite ironic.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

I am against the death penalty as it is at odds with my beliefs as a Christian.

I don't think anyone deserves the death penalty. Regardless of what they've done.

When you factor in the doubt of guilt into it, bringing it back doesn't work. Reintroducing the death penalty with that knowledge would be a horrible backwards step for this country.

But that aside, no one deserves to die as punishment. Life for a life is such a terrible, sad equivalence. It doesn't bring the victim back and I very much doubt it soothes any loss. Would it not just make the heart colder? I don't know..

A life locked away and forgotten forever feels like a better punishment.

Newcastle

My junior school teacher was eventually caught when I say eventually only recently so if I'm 48 now you can only wonder what they were up to back then and reading judges remarks about them that they had previously a good character and spoke well throughout court proceedings should any of this Matter when the person has been abusing children who were friends of mine and he gets 4 years for crimes that went decades shows how sick those who hold a position to provide a service to protect act

By *ur sheepskin loverMan  over a year ago

Redhill, now i live in Germany

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION !!! Death sentence is good. Think about that person who kills other people,is going in prison and they live on government money(people who pays taxes and everything). The only difference is they are locked up..but they're still alive,those are people without feelings,remorse whatsoever. They don't deserve to live and they should die. Is not fair for the families who lost brothers,sisters,parents,etc. Many people are against death penalty but in my opinion this is the right payment for murder.

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

Years ago my cousin was murdered. People kept saying " he should hang" "gas him". I never felt that way. Yeah more than a few of us woukd of loved just even 10mins with him..but I don't want him to get an easy out. I wanted him locked away and to live a long healthy miserable life. Also on the other hand our family was put through hell, you know what, his family was too. In some ways I think it was worse for his mum. I couldn't of coped knowing that we gave her the same pain. I do think life should mean life tho.

Fred and Rose West, Ian Brady and Myra Hyndley, Ian Huntly, Peter Sutcliffe, need I go on?? All of them, and a lot more, should have been hung!!

By *rewersprojectMan  over a year ago

Leeds

This is along the lines of how I feel. Unless you could be 100% certain that there could be no doubt, I can't see it being a good thing.

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

If the death penalty in particular worked, the US states which enforce it wouldn't have the murder rates they do.

I don't support the death penalty but do think life ought to mean life if only to prevent serial reoffending.

south wales

"Fred and Rose West, Ian Brady and Myra Hyndley, Ian Huntly, Peter Sutcliffe, need I go on?? All of them, and a lot more, should have been hung!! "

And most of these never disclosed locations of some victims… as long as they withhold that information then they would never be out to death… then every one would fail to disclose knowing they’d be kept alive… it would never work

Let's not forget Jon Venebles, Robert Thompson and Wayne Couzens... Just saying

"For anyone who wants to see the death penalty restored in this country, what crime would warrant it? Murder? R@pe? Armed robbery??

*Your well behaved son intervenes in a pub fight & an unlucky punch kills a brawler. Should he die?

*Your 17yr old son is in a relationship with a girl 2 years younger. They love each other & consummate their relationship. Should he be hung?

*Your daughter is desperate for money, gets in with a wrong crowd & ends up being the getaway driver for an armed robbery. She never held a gun in her life. Should she be electrocuted?

It's just not black & white, is it? Who makes these decisions. "

I don't think anyone here thinks it's black and white. I would happily watch some monsters get the death sentence. But I know it's much more complex than boom, murder, you're getting your head chopped off mate.

"Fred and Rose West, Ian Brady and Myra Hyndley, Ian Huntly, Peter Sutcliffe, need I go on?? All of them, and a lot more, should have been hung!!

And most of these never disclosed locations of some victims… as long as they withhold that information then they would never be out to death… then every one would fail to disclose knowing they’d be kept alive… it would never work "

The amount of physical evidence they had against all of them was enough to give them the death penalty

"I don’t believe that there is a whole thread giving any reasons what so ever

There are long list of excuses why we now supposedly think that we are better than that

Of people knew that they would be hung, maybe they would think twice

If pedos knew that they would be whipped and castrated, maybe just maybe they would keep it in their pocket

Instead, our prisons are overflowing with these people just bidding their time to get out and do it again"

The evidence suggests that the death penalty isn't a deterrent. As far as whipping people goes, I guess we could ask Saudi Arabia or possibly ISIS how effective public floggings are but I doubt they would give a truthful response.

Mr

By *igblackdomTV/TS  over a year ago

West Midlands

"

By *he_Last_TitanMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"For anyone who wants to see the death penalty restored in this country, what crime would warrant it? Murder? R@pe? Armed robbery??

It's just not black & white, is it? Who makes these decisions.

I don't think anyone here thinks it's black and white. I would happily watch some monsters get the death sentence. But I know it's much more complex than boom, murder, you're getting your head chopped off mate. "

Yep ..we don't chop people's heads off for starters ha

Seriously though, I can't think of a system in the world that has it where the death penalty doesn't get misapplied in some nefarious way.

It's power at the end of the day and power always corrupts.

Bedfont Feltham

"I don't think anyone deserves the death penalty. Regardless of what they've done.

When you factor in the doubt of guilt into it, bringing it back doesn't work. Reintroducing the death penalty with that knowledge would be a horrible backwards step for this country.

But that aside, no one deserves to die as punishment. Life for a life is such a terrible, sad equivalence. It doesn't bring the victim back and I very much doubt it soothes any loss. Would it not just make the heart colder? I don't know..

A life locked away and forgotten forever feels like a better punishment."

Albert Pierrepoint the UKs last hangman said that of all the hangings he carried out did not prevent one single murder and at the end came out against the death penalty.

And if there is any miscarriage of justice then we are all guilty of murder.

So thanks very much to all the armchair executioners out there but I will take his thoughts on board over yiur own self righteous indignation. And should you get what you want be the first to volunteer for the job.

south wales

"Fred and Rose West, Ian Brady and Myra Hyndley, Ian Huntly, Peter Sutcliffe, need I go on?? All of them, and a lot more, should have been hung!!

And most of these never disclosed locations of some victims… as long as they withhold that information then they would never be out to death… then every one would fail to disclose knowing they’d be kept alive… it would never work

The amount of physical evidence they had against all of them was enough to give them the death penalty "

Think you miss my point

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Let's not forget Jon Venebles, Robert Thompson and Wayne Couzens... Just saying "

The first two were children when they committed murder...it's been a very long time in the UK since children were executed.

The amount of physical evidence they had against all of them was enough to give them the death penalty

Think you miss my point "

Think you're missing mine

By *onb21Woman  over a year ago

Cardiff

I'm just not a vengeful and violent person.

I'm more likely to want to understand what makes human beings want to harm each other and how it can be prevented.

It's a yes from me if found guilty but I'd be more for letting the victims family decide as for a deterrent who cares it's a punishment.

By *bostCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

No. Even one miscarriage of justice would be one too much.

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

The death penalty is so old fashioned, any person who is sentenced to life should serve the whole of that sentence working in a rehabilitation center contributing to community, none of this minimum term rubbish, life is life.

I support it being reinstated

By * Sophie xTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

"Let's not forget Jon Venebles, Robert Thompson and Wayne Couzens... Just saying

The first two were children when they committed murder...it's been a very long time in the UK since children were executed."

Although one of them certainly had a taste for what he did as a child and has carried on what he started while the taxpayer and Jamie Bulgers parents can only look on in disbelief while he is protected at huge cost at every turn.

Yes he has spent time in jail for his crimes but it has never and will never stop him reoffending.

The statistics have shown that time and time again the death penalty does not act as a deterrent for murder.

That alone should be a significant enough argument against its use for as long as the risk of miscarriages of justice exist (likely forever).

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

No death penalty.. just send the buggers to Australia like we used to and let them fend for themselves... Worse than prison I imagine

I remember a philosophy professor during my degree talking on this subject. Long time ago but it stuck with me.

He said the death penalty question is not a question of justice or of retribution. It is this: should you give so much power to any government that it can lawfully kill its own citizens? I.e where should the power of governments stop?

Derby

"The statistics have shown that time and time again the death penalty does not act as a deterrent for murder.

That alone should be a significant enough argument against its use for as long as the risk of miscarriages of justice exist (likely forever).

"

I don’t doubt for a moment that it is barely a deterrent at all as most will never expect to get caught.

What total removal of those who commit murder or other crimes that could warrant the death penalty will do though is completely remove the perpetrator from ever being able to commit the same crimes again. Punishment and the death penalty isn't always about being a deterrent.

Chelmsford

"I remember a philosophy professor during my degree talking on this subject. Long time ago but it stuck with me.

He said the death penalty question is not a question of justice or of retribution. It is this: should you give so much power to any government that it can lawfully kill its own citizens? I.e where should the power of governments stop?

"

They already do...police shoot our citizens. Lawfully

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Yes should be brought back for murder where there is 100% evidence or proof.

Absolutely not, we are meant to be moving forwards as as a species not backwards.

Abolition of the Death Penalty Act 1965 is in place to ensure it doesn't happen

And since the ratification of 13th Protocol to the European Convention on Human Rights it is forbidden, though now we are not in Europe it may need a reform

Warwick

"The statistics have shown that time and time again the death penalty does not act as a deterrent for murder.

I don’t doubt for a moment that it is barely a deterrent at all as most will never expect to get caught.

What total removal of those who commit murder or other crimes that could warrant the death penalty will do though is completely remove the perpetrator from ever being able to commit the same crimes again. Punishment and the death penalty isn't always about being a deterrent."

Doesn't locking them up for life (and I mean life) also do that though?

"I remember a philosophy professor during my degree talking on this subject. Long time ago but it stuck with me.

They already do...police shoot our citizens. Lawfully"

Anyone can kill in self defence as long as the force used is reasonable in the circumstances. That's lawful.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

The government? Don’t you mean the courts?

henley on thames

"Absolutely not, we are meant to be moving forwards as as a species not backwards.

Abolition of the Death Penalty Act 1965 is in place to ensure it doesn't happen

And since the ratification of 13th Protocol to the European Convention on Human Rights it is forbidden, though now we are not in Europe it may need a reform"

Agreed. Not the right direction to go.

And to answer OP’s question, no, this is not a subject that has ever come up with work colleagues in the 27 years I have been living and working in this country.

On a mooch

They already do...police shoot our citizens. Lawfully

Anyone can kill in self defence as long as the force used is reasonable in the circumstances. That's lawful."

and a rarity

henley on thames

"No. Even one miscarriage of justice would be one too much. "

Agreed.

And of course this actually happened in the last.

The “string em up” brigade will hide behind saying that it should only happen where there is no doubt, but if a crime means that a person should never be freed, then I prefer the idea of a life sentence

Newcastle

So there has been a lot said about the death penalty not being a deterrent?

But neither is the thought of going to prison as for some it’s a cushy option?

So how about making the prison experience harder ?

Chain gangs etc ??

And not looking after the human rights of the prisoners? Something they didn’t care about when doing the crimes ??

henley on thames

"So there has been a lot said about the death penalty not being a deterrent?

But neither is the thought of going to prison as for some it’s a cushy option?

So how about making the prison experience harder ?

Chain gangs etc ??

And not looking after the human rights of the prisoners? Something they didn’t care about when doing the crimes ?? "

Going to prison is not a “cushy” option.

If you are looking for ultimate deterrents that guarantee there will be zero crime, then there is no such thing

Newcastle

In my opinion some cases a a person has committed a serious crime it's not a prison that they need but mental health services so a prison for this then once they are in a better understanding start their sentence and only released when fit to be not classified as a danger amount of times you read about people attempt to kill or have gone to prison and once released do similar as for those who groom only place for these is prison yet receive a suspended sentence how is this protecting any child but creating more victim's and creating more hard work for the police and other organizations which adds more strain if their wasn't any corruption we'd be in a better position rather than looking at their own achievement and looking for the interest of the public and what is right.

Derby

What total removal of those who commit murder or other crimes that could warrant the death penalty will do though is completely remove the perpetrator from ever being able to commit the same crimes again. Punishment and the death penalty isn't always about being a deterrent.

Doesn't locking them up for life (and I mean life) also do that though?"

Yes it would but I don't believe it should be the only option if life really does mean life.

I cannot say for certain having never been to prison myself but if I was facing life imprisonment, I would rather be given a choice of either life imprisonment or death in the manner of my choosing.

I'd be in that chair like a shot.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

No, it's not right. I can't be sure I'd never kill, due to anger but I don't see justification for taking more life. Its barbaric and belongs to the past.

Ruislip

This is madness"

It's very simple. The death penalty will not only apply to those individuals you personally think should receive it. It will be spread wider and is very likely to catch somebody undeserving of something so harsh, or worse, somebody who is innocent. It's better that a monster stays alive in prison than an innocent man is killed, in my opinion. Would you disagree with that?

Chelmsford

Why not a voluntary death penalty. Let the prisoner decide.

On a mooch

"Why not a voluntary death penalty. Let the prisoner decide. "

Why would we give them that luxury of an easy way out, when we can’t even give those medically in pain and beyond hope that dignity ?

By *oncupiscent_dreamMan  over a year ago

City

Death penalty, like what will happen the afghans who helped the UK and were left behind?

That kind of death penalty?

Newcastle

"Death penalty, like what will happen the afghans who helped the UK and were left behind?

That kind of death penalty?"

Death for wanting better for their country and family ?

And not a human rights activist in sight !!

Chelmsford

In olden times huge crowds would turn out to watch public hangings... Why not bring back this spectacle? But with a modern day twist. The condemned would spin the 'Wheel of Fortune". There would be a dozen outcomes. One of these could be, live in Prison, Spin Again, Free drink, Death by firing squad, Death by hanging, Death by Stoning (involving the crowd), Death by Fire, Death by Ducking School

The possibilities are endless..

I know the fate I would like to choose but The Wheel of Fortune idea would surely beat Strictly or the ghastly X Factor

I reckon removing their freedom is hellish enough

"In olden times huge crowds would turn out to watch public hangings... Why not bring back this spectacle? But with a modern day twist. The condemned would spin the 'Wheel of Fortune". There would be a dozen outcomes. One of these could be, live in Prison, Spin Again, Free drink, Death by firing squad, Death by hanging, Death by Stoning (involving the crowd), Death by Fire, Death by Ducking School

The possibilities are endless..

I know the fate I would like to choose but The Wheel of Fortune idea would surely beat Strictly or the ghastly X Factor "

They're not going to bring it back Tom.

It's all over for the noose.

Glasgow

"Let's not forget Jon Venebles, Robert Thompson and Wayne Couzens... Just saying

The first two were children when they committed murder...it's been a very long time in the UK since children were executed.

Although one of them certainly had a taste for what he did as a child and has carried on what he started while the taxpayer and Jamie Bulgers parents can only look on in disbelief while he is protected at huge cost at every turn.

Yes he has spent time in jail for his crimes but it has never and will never stop him reoffending."

I agree and his crimes committed as an adult should be addressed as such..are you saying he should have been executed as a 10 year old?

Glasgow

This is madness

It's very simple. The death penalty will not only apply to those individuals you personally think should receive it. It will be spread wider and is very likely to catch somebody undeserving of something so harsh, or worse, somebody who is innocent. It's better that a monster stays alive in prison than an innocent man is killed, in my opinion. Would you disagree with that? "

These are good points. What capital punishment supporters often forget is it was once the status quo, for hundreds of years..but over time and social development society had increasingly less affection for it.

Chelmsford

This is madness

It's very simple. The death penalty will not only apply to those individuals you personally think should receive it. It will be spread wider and is very likely to catch somebody undeserving of something so harsh, or worse, somebody who is innocent. It's better that a monster stays alive in prison than an innocent man is killed, in my opinion. Would you disagree with that?

These are good points. What capital punishment supporters often forget is it was once the status quo, for hundreds of years..but over time and social development society had increasingly less affection for it. "

This is very true. It's because our meat is packaged in supermarkets and most are emotionally removed from the slaughter. It really would not take much to get this back..

belfast

"I don't agree with the death penalty, it's far too lenient on the offender. However, I feel that for the more horrendous offenders, - Couzens, Lee Rigby's killers etc should get far harsher prison time. No luxuries, basic nutrition, no visitors and hard work."

Why mention Lee rigbys killers? He seems to be treated different than the hundreds of other British soldiers murdered in the UK by terrorists?

I can see both sides of the argument. But I've always found this quote most succinct:

"I have come to the conclusion that executions solve nothing, and are only an antiquated relic of a primitive desire for revenge which takes the easy way and hands over the responsibility for revenge to other people."

— Albert Pierrepoint (1905–1992) English hangman who executed around 600 people in a 25-year career

Derby

Yes he has spent time in jail for his crimes but it has never and will never stop him reoffending.

I agree and his crimes committed as an adult should be addressed as such..are you saying he should have been executed as a 10 year old?

"

Hell no not at all!

His crimes as an adult when he knows perfectly well what he did both as a child and as an adult do indicate that he is never likely to change.

He had masses of therapy while incarcerated the first time and will have the second time too but would you trust him not to offend again?

He couldn't possibly not know that what he was doing as an adult is wrong as his whole life has been dependant on the legal system hiding him and keeping him protected at almost any cost so to defend him as not a further risk to society is ludicrous.

As for the death penalty, I'm neither qualified to decide yes or no and nor do I know enough about the therapy system to say if it works.

I do know personally of one case where it absolutely did not work and his sentence was a doddle, he barely noticed he had done his time and went on to reoffend.

There are many arguments for and against it. One of the strongest argument against it is that one can never be 100% sure that the particular person is a perpetrator. And this is the reason why I am personally against death penalty. There is also another good argument that it puts immense pressure on the judges as someone's life is in their hands. I could agree with that one too.

But I don't agree with arguments like "Death penalty doesn't act as a deterrent" or "It is morally wrong for a civilised society to kill people no matter what the reason is".

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

Knee jerk reaction is they should die for some crimes but for all the well reasoned arguments above I can’t conscience even one mistake where for whatever reason the wrong person was convicted and executed.

The cruellest punishment for anyone is the removal of hope and some of these monsters deserve to feel entirely hopeless - every minute of every day they wake up without anything to look forward to - except maybe to reflect on how they got there ….

"Why not a voluntary death penalty. Let the prisoner decide. "

It could be conditional/optional. On request of the convicted or where there is a full and frank confession.

Glasgow

"Why not a voluntary death penalty. Let the prisoner decide.

It could be conditional/optional. On request of the convicted or where there is a full and frank confession."

I'm not sure the convicted should play any part in the sentencing process, it's not meant to accommodate their preferences.

Chelmsford

"Why not a voluntary death penalty. Let the prisoner decide.

It could be conditional/optional. On request of the convicted or where there is a full and frank confession.

I'm not sure the convicted should play any part in the sentencing process, it's not meant to accommodate their preferences."

If you are caught speeding you are often given a choice between a court date or a speed awareness course so yes the accused are already part of the process.. they are stakeholders so they should be involved

By *eeowlsMan  over a year ago

sheffield

For me there’s DNA these days and that proves beyond reasonable doubt so for me if the DNA proves it and in such cases as Lee Rigby’s public slaughter the death penalty should be used

That is and was proven beyond reasonable doubt and the fact that they are imprisoned and the fact it’s costing us all as tax payers around a minimum of £55.000 a year to keep them in jail the death penalty should be used

The miscarriage of justice cases rarely if ever happen so when it’s definitely proven beyond reasonable doubt it’s a yes for me

"For me there’s DNA these days and that proves beyond reasonable doubt so for me if the DNA proves it and in such cases as Lee Rigby’s public slaughter the death penalty should be used

That is and was proven beyond reasonable doubt and the fact that they are imprisoned and the fact it’s costing us all as tax payers around a minimum of £55.000 a year to keep them in jail the death penalty should be used

The miscarriage of justice cases rarely if ever happen so when it’s definitely proven beyond reasonable doubt it’s a yes for me "

So two murders, one has DNA proof to convict the killer, the other doesn't. One gets hung, the other 'life' in prison. Doesn't seem like a fair justice system to me.

Mr

sheffield

"For me there’s DNA these days and that proves beyond reasonable doubt so for me if the DNA proves it and in such cases as Lee Rigby’s public slaughter the death penalty should be used

The miscarriage of justice cases rarely if ever happen so when it’s definitely proven beyond reasonable doubt it’s a yes for me

So two murders, one has DNA proof to convict the killer, the other doesn't. One gets hung, the other 'life' in prison. Doesn't seem like a fair justice system to me.

Mr"

It’s down to proven beyond reasonable doubt that’s how the justice system could chose that way it’s taking out the miscarriage of justice situation!!

That’s my way of thinking and as I said such as Lee Rigbys public slaughter is proven beyond reasonable doubt

Same with Fred and rose west, dr shipman it’s all about opinions and proof for me like you have put over your opinion

That’s my reasoning around how they could work the death penalty

Cheshire

Mr"

Or later on they find out there was an issue at the laboratory, someone labelled it incorrectly or got the samples mixed up.

You are always open to human error and it could be fatal when it comes to a death sentence.

Also you need to look at how much it would cost the tax payer for the endless appeals the lawyers will be making. This is from an article I found:

‘ The death penalty is a moral issue for some and a policy issue for others. However, it is also a government program with related costs and possible benefits. Many people assume that the state saves money by employing the death penalty since an executed person no longer requires confinement, health care, and related expenses. But in the modern application of capital punishment, that assumption has been proven wrong.

The death penalty is far more expensive than a system utilizing life-without-parole sentences as an alternative punishment. Some of the reasons for the high cost of the death penalty are the longer trials and appeals required when a person’s life is on the line, the need for more lawyers and experts on both sides of the case, and the relative rarity of executions. Most cases in which the death penalty is sought do not end up with the death penalty being imposed. And once a death sentence is imposed, the most likely outcome of the case is that the conviction or death sentence will be overturned in the courts. Most defendants who are sentenced to death essentially end up spending life in prison, but at a highly inflated cost because the death penalty was involved in the process.’

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

The miscarriage of justice cases rarely if ever happen so when it’s definitely proven beyond reasonable doubt it’s a yes for me "

Stephan clizco was convicted "beyond reasonable doubt " for the murder of Leslie Molseed in Rochdale after he confessed to the murder and gave a detailed statement .only a concerted campaign by his mother and a local journalist got the case looked at again where upon he was released after the conviction was deemed unsafe .seven years after his release another man was convicted for the same offence and others .Stefan clizco would of been put to death by many on here abd the case closed the real killer would still be roaming free to kill again state sponsored killing does not work

Cheshire

The miscarriage of justice cases rarely if ever happen so when it’s definitely proven beyond reasonable doubt it’s a yes for me Stephan clizco was convicted "beyond reasonable doubt " for the murder of Leslie Molseed in Rochdale after he confessed to the murder and gave a detailed statement .only a concerted campaign by his mother and a local journalist got the case looked at again where upon he was released after the conviction was deemed unsafe .seven years after his release another man was convicted for the same offence and others .Stefan clizco would of been put to death by many on here abd the case closed the real killer would still be roaming free to kill again state sponsored killing does not work "

Birmingham six or Guildford four also would’ve got the death sentence.

sheffield

The miscarriage of justice cases rarely if ever happen so when it’s definitely proven beyond reasonable doubt it’s a yes for me Stephan clizco was convicted "beyond reasonable doubt " for the murder of Leslie Molseed in Rochdale after he confessed to the murder and gave a detailed statement .only a concerted campaign by his mother and a local journalist got the case looked at again where upon he was released after the conviction was deemed unsafe .seven years after his release another man was convicted for the same offence and others .Stefan clizco would of been put to death by many on here abd the case closed the real killer would still be roaming free to kill again state sponsored killing does not work

Birmingham six or Guildford four also would’ve got the death sentence. "

Birmingham six and Guildford four wasn’t sentenced on DNA or Stefan kiszko as regards mid labelling that should never happen as they would be working literally on life and death situations

As far as I’m concerned n that’s just my opinion if it’s proven beyond reasonable doubt ie Lee Rigby Fred rose west etc etc death penalty should be considered and used

By *evonshireboyMan  over a year ago

North Devon

A big issue is that the death penalty can escalate crimes in order to cover them up.

A criminal facing the possibility of the death penalty may think it is worth killing a ra#pe victim, for example, to reduce the chance of being convicted. It will also reduce the number of guilty pleas for serious crimes, tying up more court time.

Cheshire

The miscarriage of justice cases rarely if ever happen so when it’s definitely proven beyond reasonable doubt it’s a yes for me Stephan clizco was convicted "beyond reasonable doubt " for the murder of Leslie Molseed in Rochdale after he confessed to the murder and gave a detailed statement .only a concerted campaign by his mother and a local journalist got the case looked at again where upon he was released after the conviction was deemed unsafe .seven years after his release another man was convicted for the same offence and others .Stefan clizco would of been put to death by many on here abd the case closed the real killer would still be roaming free to kill again state sponsored killing does not work

Birmingham six or Guildford four also would’ve got the death sentence. Birmingham six and Guildford four wasn’t sentenced on DNA or Stefan kiszko as regards mid labelling that should never happen as they would be working literally on life and death situations

As far as I’m concerned n that’s just my opinion if it’s proven beyond reasonable doubt ie Lee Rigby Fred rose west etc etc death penalty should be considered and used "

With the Birmingham six traces of what they thought was explosive material on their hands. It was later proven this had come off cards they played on the train. So a laboratory error, proving my point.

Also DNA isn’t captured at every murder scene.

Nothing is ever proven beyond doubt even if you get a confession, remember that can be beaten out of you.

sheffield

Birmingham six or Guildford four also would’ve got the death sentence. Birmingham six and Guildford four wasn’t sentenced on DNA or Stefan kiszko as regards mid labelling that should never happen as they would be working literally on life and death situations

As far as I’m concerned n that’s just my opinion if it’s proven beyond reasonable doubt ie Lee Rigby Fred rose west etc etc death penalty should be considered and used

With the Birmingham six traces of what they thought was explosive material on their hands. It was later proven this had come off cards they played on the train. So a laboratory error, proving my point.

Nothing is ever proven beyond doubt even if you get a confession, remember that can be beaten out of you. "

I quote DNA proven beyond reasonable doubt

the proven beyond reasonable doubt is aided by video evidence as caught on camera committing the offence or by finding the dead carcasses bodies under your property dr Harold shipman was proven beyond reasonable doubt

I have stated all through in my comments that if there’s no way anyone else could’ve committed the murders

I will alway believe they should be given the death penalty

I understand and can see what some of you have good opinions but that’s just my opinion

It doesnt work as a deterrent and a civilised death such as what would be received, could be almost not really enough of a punishment for the awfulness of the crime committed to warrant it in the first place. A lifetime of knowing what you have done and living with yourself has to be worse, hence so many suicides. Death is the easy way out.

By *evonshireboyMan  over a year ago

North Devon

Nothing is ever proven beyond doubt even if you get a confession, remember that can be beaten out of you.

the proven beyond reasonable doubt is aided by video evidence as caught on camera committing the offence or by finding the dead carcasses bodies under your property dr Harold shipman was proven beyond reasonable doubt

I have stated all through in my comments that if there’s no way anyone else could’ve committed the murders

I understand and can see what some of you have good opinions but that’s just my opinion "

But everyone who is in prison is there because their culpability was "proven beyond reasonable doubt".

It's the basic tenet of British justice.

Ruislip

I understand and can see what some of you have good opinions but that’s just my opinion "

You do realise that it would never ONLY be applied to the people you think it should be, don't you? It will always be applied wider and there is always a risk the state will kill an innocent person.

Also DNA evidence is not as foolproof as you make out. There can be contamination. There have been numerous false convictions based on misunderstanding of DNA evidence limitations too.

I think anyone who deliberately goes out of there way to hurt children in any form should get the death penalty

Ruislip

For those who say DNA proves something beyond doubt should look up the article "How Forensic DNA Evidence Can Lead to Wrongful Convictions". Here are some quotes:

DNA is just one piece of the puzzle, rarely giving a clear “he did it” answer.

Realistically, then, DNA profiles should only be thought of as being likely to have come from a specific individual.

Even full DNA profiles may match with a person other than the culprit.

Is this related to the policeman that killed Sarah Everard?

I think my view is subjective, if you were a close relative you would the perpetrator to suffer and show remorse.

It is worse when this does not happen so there is sn emotional side.

As an outsider, you'd probably want them to suffer equally or worse.

The poor woman was tortured and the murderer in this case, who abused this authority and responsibility, will spend his life in jail. At the tax payers expense.

I see the frustration.