FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > 1/2,truths on HGV drivers exit/ shortage.

1/2,truths on HGV drivers exit/ shortage.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *mileTogether69 OP   Man  over a year ago

Brighton

News and industry dirty little secrets.

So firstly to gain a new liscence which is recognised as a " professional" liscence cost £4000 + then yearly at cost to driver attend compulsory CPC modules £200+ a time, mostly in there own time.

Then they find that there domestic car liscence endorsements are NOT..separate from there " professional " liscence . They then find not many insurers will allow haulage companies hire driver with more than 6 pnts on liscence. That's off course they can find employment without much experience.

Many rogue transport haulier quite happily in employment contracts will deduct from drivers pay any bumps,collisions,or damage to loads, they occur from wages not matter how minor.

Then VOSA fine drivers via digital tachograph infringements now matter again how minor....

Many rogue haulage companies only pay drivers whilst driving and not , travelling to from depots, safety checks,rest breaks, delays or truck breakdowns.

Hardly surprising its not very appealing to many.

Many many more but you get the gist..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *asmeenTV/TS  over a year ago

STOKE ON TRENT

All the ones moaning should become the drivers instead of sitting at Home

They are going to employ

Foreign people

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

And earn a hell of a lot of money! My ex was a hgv driver

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

"All the ones moaning should become the drivers instead of sitting at Home

They are going to employ

Foreign people "

Foreign drivers already work in the UK, believe me I am in the industry and deal with drivers all day, a good 50% of which aren’t British but delivering domestic goods.

The problem is the wage/hours/demands that are made in drivers, the cost of getting your license in the first place, paying for your CPC classroom time, not to mention £500 plus every few years for a health medical they you pay yourself.

STOKE ON TRENT

They are going to employ

Foreign people

Foreign drivers already work in the UK, believe me I am in the industry and deal with drivers all day, a good 50% of which aren’t British but delivering domestic goods.

The problem is the wage/hours/demands that are made in drivers, the cost of getting your license in the first place, paying for your CPC classroom time, not to mention £500 plus every few years for a health medical they you pay yourself. "

Xxxx

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"And earn a hell of a lot of money! My ex was a hgv driver"

What do you call a hell of a lot of money ?

They are going to employ

Foreign people "

Lots of foreign truck drivers already working in the UK and thank god they are because where would we be without them

And thank God they are allowing more over. Deserve medals

STOKE ON TRENT

So who will bring the petrol in

Brexit was a very stupid idea dreamed up by a few disaster capitalists.

STOKE ON TRENT

"Brexit was a very stupid idea dreamed up by a few disaster capitalists."

Xxxx

"And earn a hell of a lot of money! My ex was a hgv driver

What do you call a hell of a lot of money ?"

More than a lot of jobs.

In the middle

"So who will bring the petrol in"

Tanker drivers, an ordinary HGV driver can’t deliver dangerous goods, they need a special license

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I've been through two petrol shortages (i'd say three but this isn't one )

I've been through electric strikes.

3 day weeks.

Bread strikes

etc etc......

Just adjust and live.

This is more to do about 'forcing' change at a faster pace....

It's not accidental that 'shortages' were staged by gvt to the press.

STOKE ON TRENT

"So who will bring the petrol in

Tanker drivers, an ordinary HGV driver can’t deliver dangerous goods, they need a special license "

Xxxx

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I don't think it's a negative thing that endorsements acquired as a car driver have an impact on one's HGV license. Speeding or other infringements that result in points (especially 6 or more) have potentially far greater consequences if the driver is wielding a 40t lorry vs a Vauxhall Corsa. And it's bad enough if you cause an accident in a car. In 2008, I was hit by a lorry (40t vehicle) which was doing 40mph. I'm lucky to be alive (thank fuck for Renault and Euro 5* safety systems). The lorry in question did not respect the rules of who has priority on a roundabout and just carried on without stopping, oblivious to the fact I was already partway around it. I couldn't prove he was distracted at the wheel, but it appeared to be the action of someone not paying attention (phone? DVD? hot brew?).

Don't want your HGV license impacted by speeding tickets? Points for using a phone? Points for jumping the lights? Then don't do those things

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

More than a lot of jobs. "

I was behind an HGV yesterday that had a recruitment ad. They were offering £35,500 for day drivers and £36,750 for night drivers. I don't consider that a hell of a lot of money for such an unsociable job.

HGVs aren't located on your doorstep, so drivers have to commute (driving) before they clock on.

Search Twitter Tom @thelorryist on 18th September. Tom sets out what the job entails and why he has left. It's fascinating.

"I've been through two petrol shortages (i'd say three but this isn't one )

3 day weeks.

Bread strikes

etc etc......

Just adjust and live.

It's not accidental that 'shortages' were staged by gvt to the press. "

It helps with 'backtracking' on visas.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

More than a lot of jobs.

I was behind an HGV yesterday that had a recruitment ad. They were offering £35,500 for day drivers and £36,750 for night drivers. I don't consider that a hell of a lot of money for such an unsociable job.

HGVs aren't located on your doorstep, so drivers have to commute (driving) before they clock on.

Search Twitter Tom @thelorryist on 18th September. Tom sets out what the job entails and why he has left. It's fascinating.

"

I would say it's excellent money for a job where you don't need qualifications. Teachers and police officers start at a much lower salary and in my opinion are much morw difficult jobs.

I suppose it depends on perspective. It's certainly more than I have ever eara year.

In the middle

More than a lot of jobs.

I would say it's excellent money for a job where you don't need qualifications. Teachers and police officers start at a much lower salary and in my opinion are much morw difficult jobs.

I suppose it depends on perspective. It's certainly more than I have ever eara year."

There aren’t many none qualified jobs that require you to fork out £6,000 before you start either

North West

More than a lot of jobs.

I suppose it depends on perspective. It's certainly more than I have ever eara year.

There aren’t many none qualified jobs that require you to fork out £6,000 before you start either "

Perhaps not to that value, but there's plenty of jobs that expect you to provide equipment, uniform, move between company premises in your own time and at your own expense, etc.

Brighton

They are going to employ

Foreign people

The problem is the wage/hours/demands that are made in drivers, the cost of getting your license in the first place, paying for your CPC classroom time, not to mention £500 plus every few years for a health medical they you pay yourself. "

In the middle

More than a lot of jobs.

There aren’t many none qualified jobs that require you to fork out £6,000 before you start either

Perhaps not to that value, but there's plenty of jobs that expect you to provide equipment, uniform, move between company premises in your own time and at your own expense, etc. "

But we aren’t talking about other jobs, we’re talking about HGV drivers

North West

More than a lot of jobs.

Perhaps not to that value, but there's plenty of jobs that expect you to provide equipment, uniform, move between company premises in your own time and at your own expense, etc.

But we aren’t talking about other jobs, we’re talking about HGV drivers "

There'd been a previous comment about salaries being deemed "reasonable" compared to other jobs, to which you'd replied about the cost of training and CPD. I was simply adding into this mix.

Brighton

More than a lot of jobs.

I suppose it depends on perspective. It's certainly more than I have ever eara year."

Yes of course perspective is different in each career. Though truck driving is one occupation where human error ,and mistakes are intensely scrutinised and acted against rarely do you have opportunity to try again if get wrong. This where the workforce is truely expendable....

In the middle

More than a lot of jobs.

There'd been a previous comment about salaries being deemed "reasonable" compared to other jobs, to which you'd replied about the cost of training and CPD. I was simply adding into this mix. "

I’ll let you off then

North West

More than a lot of jobs.

There'd been a previous comment about salaries being deemed "reasonable" compared to other jobs, to which you'd replied about the cost of training and CPD. I was simply adding into this mix.

I’ll let you off then "

Thank you, Ma'am

Brighton

Tanker drivers, an ordinary HGV driver can’t deliver dangerous goods, they need a special license "

In the middle

More than a lot of jobs.

I’ll let you off then

Thank you, Ma'am "

A side issue I know but we should be moving much more by rail.

STOKE ON TRENT

"A side issue I know but we should be moving much more by rail."

Choo choo

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

2019 “they keep coming over and taking our jobs!”

2021 “why won’t they come over and take our jobs!”

"And earn a hell of a lot of money! My ex was a hgv driver"

So was mine and I assure you what he made was not near a hell of a lot of money.

STOKE ON TRENT

"2019 “they keep coming over and taking our jobs!”

2021 “why won’t they come over and take our jobs!”"

In the middle

But you still have to get it from the station to the warehouses

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"I've been through two petrol shortages (i'd say three but this isn't one )

3 day weeks.

Bread strikes

etc etc......

Just adjust and live.

It's not accidental that 'shortages' were staged by gvt to the press. "

Remember the drought summer too?

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I've been a despatch supervisor with responsibility for 15 drivers. 10 of those were trained in-house and the costs of getting their licence as well as all CPC fees were covered by the company.

They are multidrop drivers working a 42 hour week and earning £27,000pa which is more than any local competitors were offering and was in line with NI earnings.

They start every year on an additional £3000 bonus and vehicle damages as well as infringements and misdemeanours are deducted from this.

It is hard work and they continued throughout the various lockdowns.

When they tried to book time off they were furloughed instead so as it stands right now some of them haven't actually used any of their annual leave since February 2020 and they are legally only allowed to carry that over until next year. Many of them will be attempting to use up those weeks they are entitled to over the next few months which will have a major knock-on effect in that sector.

"I've been a despatch supervisor with responsibility for 15 drivers. 10 of those were trained in-house and the costs of getting their licence as well as all CPC fees were covered by the company.

They are multidrop drivers working a 42 hour week and earning £27,000pa which is more than any local competitors were offering and was in line with NI earnings.

They start every year on an additional £3000 bonus and vehicle damages as well as infringements and misdemeanours are deducted from this.

When they tried to book time off they were furloughed instead so as it stands right now some of them haven't actually used any of their annual leave since February 2020 and they are legally only allowed to carry that over until next year. Many of them will be attempting to use up those weeks they are entitled to over the next few months which will have a major knock-on effect in that sector. "

Thanks for sharing that. I bet no one is planning for that glitch in the matrix.

"Brexit was a very stupid idea dreamed up by a few disaster capitalists.

Xxxx"

"A side issue I know but we should be moving much more by rail.

But you still have to get it from the station to the warehouses "

Of course, but the total HGV mileage could be hugely reduced.

In the middle

Of course, but the total HGV mileage could be hugely reduced."

Or we could go back to barges

In the middle

"I've been a despatch supervisor with responsibility for 15 drivers. 10 of those were trained in-house and the costs of getting their licence as well as all CPC fees were covered by the company.

When they tried to book time off they were furloughed instead so as it stands right now some of them haven't actually used any of their annual leave since February 2020 and they are legally only allowed to carry that over until next year. Many of them will be attempting to use up those weeks they are entitled to over the next few months which will have a major knock-on effect in that sector.

Thanks for sharing that. I bet no one is planning for that glitch in the matrix.

"

Plus the latest Pingdemic, that’s hasn’t helped either

Brighton

"I don't think it's a negative thing that endorsements acquired as a car driver have an impact on one's HGV license. Speeding or other infringements that result in points (especially 6 or more) have potentially far greater consequences if the driver is wielding a 40t lorry vs a Vauxhall Corsa. And it's bad enough if you cause an accident in a car. In 2008, I was hit by a lorry (40t vehicle) which was doing 40mph. I'm lucky to be alive (thank fuck for Renault and Euro 5* safety systems). The lorry in question did not respect the rules of who has priority on a roundabout and just carried on without stopping, oblivious to the fact I was already partway around it. I couldn't prove he was distracted at the wheel, but it appeared to be the action of someone not paying attention (phone? DVD? hot brew?).

Don't want your HGV license impacted by speeding tickets? Points for using a phone? Points for jumping the lights? Then don't do those things "

sorry for your accident must of been tough. Ask yourself this and others ... if not driving for living ie work in office or alike. Should whilst commuting into work in your car ,your day dreaming or get distracted , as we all do. Then flash.....bugger forgot about that speed camera. Yet you accumulate point more times than you should 9 points say. Your insurance spirals , so look its a inconvenience but hey I,ll just sell the car. As long as you can get to your office you still have employment. For HGV drivers right or wrong they loose there livelihoods...

Persecuted cos of there occupation....

This when we all know with clever lawyers there are plenty of individuals still driving cars with 12+ points on liscence who have,t lost there employment.

Brighton

When they tried to book time off they were furloughed instead so as it stands right now some of them haven't actually used any of their annual leave since February 2020 and they are legally only allowed to carry that over until next year. Many of them will be attempting to use up those weeks they are entitled to over the next few months which will have a major knock-on effect in that sector. "

Yes your company sounds like a responsible and fair outfit. However I,m sure your all to aware companies like yourselfs are in the minority.

Brighton

More than a lot of jobs.

"

Exactly what they offer and in reality how drivers are expected to work to achieve that eye watering pay is something else.

"

North West

Of course, but the total HGV mileage could be hugely reduced.

Or we could go back to barges "

We have some splendid canals round these parts. Even one specially for Ships!

North West

"I don't think it's a negative thing that endorsements acquired as a car driver have an impact on one's HGV license. Speeding or other infringements that result in points (especially 6 or more) have potentially far greater consequences if the driver is wielding a 40t lorry vs a Vauxhall Corsa. And it's bad enough if you cause an accident in a car. In 2008, I was hit by a lorry (40t vehicle) which was doing 40mph. I'm lucky to be alive (thank fuck for Renault and Euro 5* safety systems). The lorry in question did not respect the rules of who has priority on a roundabout and just carried on without stopping, oblivious to the fact I was already partway around it. I couldn't prove he was distracted at the wheel, but it appeared to be the action of someone not paying attention (phone? DVD? hot brew?).

Don't want your HGV license impacted by speeding tickets? Points for using a phone? Points for jumping the lights? Then don't do those things sorry for your accident must of been tough. Ask yourself this and others ... if not driving for living ie work in office or alike. Should whilst commuting into work in your car ,your day dreaming or get distracted , as we all do. Then flash.....bugger forgot about that speed camera. Yet you accumulate point more times than you should 9 points say. Your insurance spirals , so look its a inconvenience but hey I,ll just sell the car. As long as you can get to your office you still have employment. For HGV drivers right or wrong they loose there livelihoods...

Persecuted cos of there occupation....

This when we all know with clever lawyers there are plenty of individuals still driving cars with 12+ points on liscence who have,t lost there employment."

As a wheelchair user, I would be royalty screwed without my license to drive my adapted car. Zero local railway stations are wheelchair accessible and the time it would take to get two or three buses would render it impossible. My ability to work relies on my ability to drive. In addition, I drive on a variety of different roads, in all conditions and at all different hours of the day and night. I passed my test in 2004 and to date, I have acquired zero penalty points. I did once get a parking ticket (a proper one) in Liverpool outside the Adelphi Hotel, but in my defense, the fact that Blue Badge holders were not exempt from the specific restrictions did bypass my eyes. I paid the fine.

My point? It's actually very easy to avoid penalty points on your license. I am NOT a dawdler. But I stick to the speed limits; I don't use my phone or eat my lunch at the wheel; I don't jump the lights. I might be fuming gently behind my wheel on the M61 in a morning, but I have never tried to undertake the traffic by using the hard shoulder, like many numpties do every day.

If a person cannot drive to the rules of the road in a car, then I'd prefer that the person is also not in charge of a massive machine that can crush a car, if there's a "momentary" lapse. They should be held to the highest standards because the consequences of infractions are high. GM Police has a HGV they use to check driving standards - they've filmed HGV drivers watching laptop computers, having video calls, eating hot food, on the phone and all sorts, in the cab.

Talk about relaxing tacho rules temporarily actually makes me very nervous - the last thing we need are drivers who are less rested and with fewer meal breaks, because the temptation is then to eat on the move and people might doze off at the wheel.

shortages of HGV drivers, fruit pickers, hospitality workers, construction workers. Where are all the lazy arse fuckwit brexiters who whinged about foreign workers taking all the jobs? Still sat on their fat lazy arses sponging off the state most likely. - or maybe they are all in Blackpool at the moment

By *redwilma666Couple  over a year ago

Kilbirnie

How many supermarkets do you know that have their own rail head?

North West

How many supermarkets do you know that have their own rail head?"

Sainsbury's on Oxford Rd in Manchester could be restocked by lobbing items off the Oxford Rd rail arches down onto the road below and Sainsbury's Regent Rd Salford actually has a railway line right behind the loading area, pretty much. So two. Kinda. Sorta.....

Sainsbury's on Oxford Rd in Manchester could be restocked by lobbing items off the Oxford Rd rail arches down onto the road below and Sainsbury's Regent Rd Salford actually has a railway line right behind the loading area, pretty much. So two. Kinda. Sorta..... "

Me and my pals still throw objects off there on the weekends !

Just bricks and the occasional wheelie bin !

North West

Sainsbury's on Oxford Rd in Manchester could be restocked by lobbing items off the Oxford Rd rail arches down onto the road below and Sainsbury's Regent Rd Salford actually has a railway line right behind the loading area, pretty much. So two. Kinda. Sorta.....

Me and my pals still throw objects off there on the weekends !

Just bricks and the occasional wheelie bin !

"

Well, you've got a shit aim then. Most of it ends up in the Bridgewater Canal

By *rivervaderMan  over a year ago

bolton

I drive a class 1 truck I’m only on £10 an hour there is not that much driver shortage it’s in the warehouses norm take 1hr to tip now it’s an average 3hrs for the same job we can’t get as many loads done each day now and our car insurance goes up not down

Bloody good point there chap

By *oalie66Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

They came over in 2019 and undercut UK drivers hence the exodus of UK drivers.

I've been a class one driver on tankers for 30 years until a year ago when I left because of what I put above.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I think that a big issue with the sector is the use of agency drivers rather than employing people directly.

It used to be that companies hired their own drivers, and paid for training & expenses to ensure that they always had the capacity that they required. None of these fuel companies would have an issue with "not having drivers" if they had employed them directly.

It's really a problem across much of the lower paid employment sectors these days, especially unskilled labour. It costs a company much less when they don't have to pay staff when they are "not busy" and much of the cost of training, licenses, PPE etc becomes the individuals responsibility rather than the employer.

Cal

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

"I think that a big issue with the sector is the use of agency drivers rather than employing people directly.

It used to be that companies hired their own drivers, and paid for training & expenses to ensure that they always had the capacity that they required. None of these fuel companies would have an issue with "not having drivers" if they had employed them directly.

It's really a problem across much of the lower paid employment sectors these days, especially unskilled labour. It costs a company much less when they don't have to pay staff when they are "not busy" and much of the cost of training, licenses, PPE etc becomes the individuals responsibility rather than the employer.

Cal "

I'll have to disagree with you about not having issues if drivers were employed directly.

As I detailed above all our drivers were employed directly and including bonuses and incentives were getting paid more than me as their line manager. It was one of the reasons I left the company.

In 6 years from 2013 to 2019 we had a twice yearly recruitment drive for new drivers and in that whole time we had less than 30 applications of which 6 or 7 were taken on and the others turned down the job offer when they realised it was all multidrop and they would have to help load their own vehicles.

They were mostly looking for groupage work which only involved driving.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

More than a lot of jobs.

Do teachers and police sleep in a warm environment at night?? Do they have proper cooking and basic washing and showering facilities?? Do they have to take a shit in the bushes regularly especially in winter to name just a few reasons why they need paying more

"They came over in 2019 and undercut UK drivers hence the exodus of UK drivers.

I've been a class one driver on tankers for 30 years until a year ago when I left because of what I put above."

Migrants didn’t undercut anyone. The haulage companies couldn’t recruit enough “local” drivers, so employed what they could, at a rate that was acceptable. Shit luck. But blame the hauliers, not the employed.

More than a lot of jobs.

Truckers can calculate in their heads the complex interactions between driving hours and working hours and distance, as they move! Or maybe you thought they arrive at the layby of their choice by accident?

pay varies between around £22K to £50K, depending on skillset (drivers carrying dangerous loads get lots, they can easily be noticed as they wear suits and ties and drink champers at breaks (joke))

Currently, I have a half-tank of fuel. I could have filled it up, but nah...I don't drive too much now anyway.

More than a lot of jobs.

Do teachers and police sleep in a warm environment at night?? Do they have proper cooking and basic washing and showering facilities?? Do they have to take a shit in the bushes regularly especially in winter to name just a few reasons why they need paying more "

They do deserve more, much like people who work in supermarkets have always been taken for granted, we now know they are key workers and essential for society to function.

It is worth pointing out, though, that teachers must fork out £30k for a teaching degree before they can work.

It's the race to the bottom mentality that drives down wages, zero contract hours doesn't help either.

bolton

How many are hgv drivers on this thread?

How many supermarkets do you know that have their own rail head?"

Not directly, obviously. But to cover the bulk of journeys, particularly from ports to major cities.

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

Xxxx"

the fuel problem was caused by the stupid British press which in turn caused people to panic buy

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

"How many are hgv drivers on this thread?"
one here but looking forward to early retirement when my cpc expires

By *orestguy28Man  over a year ago

Glos

Some really naive comments on this thread! Worse than FB!!

If you think for one minute Hualage is unskilled and cheap to get into then get your asses in the chair. That’s after you’ve paid for your medical, training, test and built up a portfolio good enough to get in with a company that pays even half tidy!!

King's Crustacean

More than a lot of jobs.

Do teachers and police sleep in a warm environment at night?? Do they have proper cooking and basic washing and showering facilities?? Do they have to take a shit in the bushes regularly especially in winter to name just a few reasons why they need paying more "

Lorry drivers don't HAVE to take a shit in the bushes. They CHOOSE to shit in the bushes.

How would a pay rise stop them shitting in the bushes ?

By *rystal DreamtimeTV/TS  over a year ago

horsham

What many don’t realise is the passing the Test is only one part of the job . It depends on what your hauling .. There’s absolutely loads to learn about being a HGV driver .. it’s not just driving !! .

By *aptain PeteMan  over a year ago

wittering

Foreign drivers have helped suppress wages for years whilst we have been a part of the EU. The EU have kept food prices low. HGV drivers are treated like aecond class citizens. Why would you want to work a 60hr week with the shit that comes with it for £30k a year.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Foreign drivers have helped suppress wages for years whilst we have been a part of the EU. The EU have kept food prices low. HGV drivers are treated like aecond class citizens. Why would you want to work a 60hr week with the shit that comes with it for £30k a year. "

Blaming 'foreign drivers' is a bit of a cop out, global capitalism depends on reducing costs eg wages to maximize profit etc..

People want cheaper options and don't often give a toss that a manufacturer elsewhere in the country has gone tits up..

It's why were so dependant on products made outside the UK and why we've reduced areas of our own skill base..

By *s4FunMan  over a year ago

Craven Arms

More than a lot of jobs.

So whats a HGV 1 if it isn't a qualification, plus medical, plus CPC's

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"News and industry dirty little secrets.

So firstly to gain a new liscence which is recognised as a " professional" liscence cost £4000 + then yearly at cost to driver attend compulsory CPC modules £200+ a time, mostly in there own time.

Then they find that there domestic car liscence endorsements are NOT..separate from there " professional " liscence . They then find not many insurers will allow haulage companies hire driver with more than 6 pnts on liscence. That's off course they can find employment without much experience.

Many rogue transport haulier quite happily in employment contracts will deduct from drivers pay any bumps,collisions,or damage to loads, they occur from wages not matter how minor.

Then VOSA fine drivers via digital tachograph infringements now matter again how minor....

Many rogue haulage companies only pay drivers whilst driving and not , travelling to from depots, safety checks,rest breaks, delays or truck breakdowns.

Many many more but you get the gist.. "

Couldn't agree more OP, drivers have been getting screwed over for years and it's now as a perfect storm appears the shit really hits the fan. You didn't mention the extortionate cost to park overnight where a lot of drivers have to pay the cost or lack of good facilities so peeing in a bottle and not to mention what you have to do in a bin bag. Haulage eh, a great career. I was lucky many years ago to get out of long distance and supply chain driving. Wouldn't go back to it unless I was desperate

By *s4FunMan  over a year ago

Craven Arms

Governments thought they were being clever in bringing in the CPC's, yet another way of ripping more money out of the working class. Many drivers said "No chance, i'm not paying that" they stopped driving. Now there is a shortage of driver's.

Ripe off Britain strikes again.

wittering

"Foreign drivers have helped suppress wages for years whilst we have been a part of the EU. The EU have kept food prices low. HGV drivers are treated like aecond class citizens. Why would you want to work a 60hr week with the shit that comes with it for £30k a year.

Blaming 'foreign drivers' is a bit of a cop out, global capitalism depends on reducing costs eg wages to maximize profit etc..

People want cheaper options and don't often give a toss that a manufacturer elsewhere in the country has gone tits up..

It's why were so dependant on products made outside the UK and why we've reduced areas of our own skill base..

"

This is why we don't have enough drivers. Waitrose are now offering starting salerys at £54k. Before it was £32. If your gonna pay peanuts then you get monkeys. If you've never put a 45ft truck on a loading bay it's a joy to watch and a skill that not everyone can master.

Durham

"Governments thought they were being clever in bringing in the CPC's, yet another way of ripping more money out of the working class. Many drivers said "No chance, i'm not paying that" they stopped driving. Now there is a shortage of driver's.

Ripe off Britain strikes again."

Government didn't bring in CPC, that was a European directive, there is talk about abolishing them now. I am an HGV driver on £10.50 an hour. Don't work the nights out and over time which is required to make your wage up to a respectable amount but unlike most I finish work everyday at a reasonable hour and not away from family all week sleeping in a truck. Think the public have seen these last few weeks how important these great girls n boys are at keeping us fed with all the goods we need and don't need. I for one tip my hat and have the utmost respect to these dedicated people who get shit from the public every day on the road. Keep up the good work fellow drivers

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Brexit was a very stupid idea dreamed up by a few disaster capitalists."

It's starting to sink in now, to some people.

If someone is living in Europe with their family now, with plenty of jobs around them, I don't see leaving family behind to work on a truck, with poor living standards, as particularly attractive. Especially as many EU visitors have been turned away at airports, so they may struggle to see their families for months

bolton

More than a lot of jobs.

Do teachers and police sleep in a warm environment at night?? Do they have proper cooking and basic washing and showering facilities?? Do they have to take a shit in the bushes regularly especially in winter to name just a few reasons why they need paying more

Lorry drivers don't HAVE to take a shit in the bushes. They CHOOSE to shit in the bushes.

How would a pay rise stop them shitting in the bushes ?"

Take it your not a driver, some places we go won’t let us use their toilets they see us as scum so yes we shit in there bushes under protest

More than a lot of jobs.

Ermm an advanced driving license is exactly that, a qualification. Not to mention you need extra training and licences to drive tankers.

And your thinking is why we have this shortage in the first place tnh

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"News and industry dirty little secrets.

Many many more but you get the gist.. "

I don't doubt being an hgv driver can be hard work and sometimes stressfull. But surely we don't want people driving 40 tonnes of truck around who are either unaware of or who break the laws on the roads?

Tin town

Is the answer to let in cheap foreign labour or for companies to pay a reasonable package and plan the training and recruitment of their resources competently and professionally.?

King's Crustacean

More than a lot of jobs.

Take it your not a driver, some places we go won’t let us use their toilets they see us as scum so yes we shit in there bushes under protest"

Just read what you've put and then imagine that makes me even remotely sympathetic to your cause.

There you go...... lorry drivers DO CHOOSE to shit in the bushes and not only that they do it for REVENGE on people that don't even set their hours , pay or conditions.

Don't assume i'm not a driver just because I have the intelligence to use other methods of improving my conditions.....

First one and the most simple........ SHIT in motorway toilets, McDonalds or PUT A PORTA LOO in the back of the CAB........ It's not rocket science and campers have done it for years.

People who SHIT on other's property and claim they have a right to ......

Anyway ..... back to genuine probs and solutions.

In the middle

More than a lot of jobs.

Take it your not a driver, some places we go won’t let us use their toilets they see us as scum so yes we shit in there bushes under protest"

Seriously? I run a Goods in and if you did that on our property you would be reported to your company and environmental health. Luckily we do have toilets for driver usage but honestly you’ve not really done yourself any favours with that statement

By *lym4realCouple  over a year ago

plymouth

Quite ironic that the main hidden supporters of Brexshite were the very same people who made fortunes out of the never ending cheap labour from the "EU" countries and even more ironic is that these people then managed to convince enough of the "Huddled Masses" to vote for it !! and then the irony got even worse is that they managed to shift the blame for the zero hour contracts/poverty wages etc etc on to the very same people they were making sheds loads of money from on and once again the "Huddled Masses/Plebs" swallowed it hook line and sinker and yes wages are rising but after 10 plus years of stagnant and in some cases falling wages ?? and even more interesting is what happens down the line when the Schools/Hospitals/Roads/Council Services etc etc are just as crap if not worse and this is like a iceberg really we are just seeing the very tip of it and alot worse to come and just shows how much of a complete liar Boris is and even worse isd how as a nation we are and were so easily fooled and lead by the nose over a cliff ...

wittering

The fuel. Shortages we saw on the forecourts this weekend has nothing to do with brexit, neither to do with a shortage of drivers. We had enough fuel being delivered throughout the week. You require an ADR license to carry fuel along side your C+E license. We haven't suddenly lost those drivers this whole farce qas instigated by the media Friday causing narrow minded individuals to panic buy large stocks of fuel. I saw one dickhead with 5 large tubs in his car. It's totally the media's fault this has occurred. As for driver Shortages until working conditions and pay are improved nothing will change.

bolton

More than a lot of jobs.

Take it your not a driver, some places we go won’t let us use their toilets they see us as scum so yes we shit in there bushes under protest

Just read what you've put and then imagine that makes me even remotely sympathetic to your cause.

There you go...... lorry drivers DO CHOOSE to shit in the bushes and not only that they do it for REVENGE on people that don't even set their hours , pay or conditions.

Don't assume i'm not a driver just because I have the intelligence to use other methods of improving my conditions.....

First one and the most simple........ SHIT in motorway toilets, McDonalds or PUT A PORTA LOO in the back of the CAB........ It's not rocket science and campers have done it for years.

People who SHIT on other's property and claim they have a right to ......

Anyway ..... back to genuine probs and solutions. "

So it’s ok for us to shit ourselves as we need to go somewhere we don’t like doing it but we are made to do it

bolton

More than a lot of jobs.

Seriously? I run a Goods in and if you did that on our property you would be reported to your company and environmental health. Luckily we do have toilets for driver usage but honestly you’ve not really done yourself any favours with that statement "

Granted I didn’t word it correctly we don’t like to do it but if it means shitting yourself or use ig a bush im going to the bush we are treated like shit at some places as toilets are refused to is yes if one is there we will use it we are not animals

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Foreign drivers have helped suppress wages for years whilst we have been a part of the EU. The EU have kept food prices low. HGV drivers are treated like aecond class citizens. Why would you want to work a 60hr week with the shit that comes with it for £30k a year.

This is why we don't have enough drivers. Waitrose are now offering starting salerys at £54k. Before it was £32. If your gonna pay peanuts then you get monkeys. If you've never put a 45ft truck on a loading bay it's a joy to watch and a skill that not everyone can master. "

Agree on the latter, remember Bob the shunter offering the derv tank keys back in the day after seeing me fanny about..

Don't miss it at all tbh, shit hours and tbh the standards of general driving by none hgv made it more stressful..

Xxxxthe fuel problem was caused by the stupid British press which in turn caused people to panic buy "

More than a lot of jobs.

How would a pay rise stop them shitting in the bushes ?"

Come on granny thats jus being daft xx

They are going to employ

Foreign people "

Im not moaning, well except that unemployed who want to become

drivers get their medical, lessons, test and cpc either paid for, a grant or via jobcentre.

I have absolutely no money whatsoever for medical (£50 -£150) and cpc (£400 to £850) but because I already have my licence (paid out of my own pocket about 15yr ago) I'm not eligible for any help!?!?

ADR licence

"How many are hgv drivers on this thread?"

I would be driving if i could afford cpc!

North West

More than a lot of jobs.

Haulage workers should have proper facilities provided for rests and breaks, definitely. I work in education and I rarely get an actual break. I eat while I work; regularly hold my bladder for hours and work far longer hours than I'm paid for. It's "expected".

Instead of pitting one employment sector against others, we should all strive for proper working conditions for everyone, including proper facilities for people to take breaks away from their work etc.

Tin town

More than a lot of jobs.

Haulage workers should have proper facilities provided for rests and breaks, definitely. I work in education and I rarely get an actual break. I eat while I work; regularly hold my bladder for hours and work far longer hours than I'm paid for. It's "expected".

Instead of pitting one employment sector against others, we should all strive for proper working conditions for everyone, including proper facilities for people to take breaks away from their work etc. "

Do people think recruiting cheap labour will achieve that? Or move us towards that at all?

North West

More than a lot of jobs.

Instead of pitting one employment sector against others, we should all strive for proper working conditions for everyone, including proper facilities for people to take breaks away from their work etc.

Do people think recruiting cheap labour will achieve that? Or move us towards that at all? "

Where did I suggest we should recruit cheap labour?! My point is that perceptions of different employment groups that "their" sector is THE worst and everyone else is much better off are way off the mark. Someone who recently left the organisation we work for, to a related but different sector, has said today that they already regret the move. The perception when working for Organisation A was it was shit for various reasons, but our former colleague is now finding that the grass is NOT always greener and in fact, our place is not that bad. But until you experience different sectors and different employment conditions, you don't know, I suppose.

By *oalie66Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Yes they did,UK drivers wouldn't work for peanuts EU drivers would that's undercutting in my book.

I'm glad to be out of the industry and await my letter from Boris which will go straight in the bin.

I'm glad for the UK drivers who are now getting big pay rises.

King's Crustacean

More than a lot of jobs.

Come on granny thats jus being daft xx"

Pfft ! Give me a lorry so I can shit in your bushes and say you made me do it.

Tin town

Well they can't get any diesel now anyway so hgv driver shortage is fixed.

I wonder if this is all part of the master plan to force people to exercise, improve respiratory fitness and do a bit of weight before a winter of covid.... A mate in the pub told me.. So it's true.

By *ickeyblueeyes7Man  over a year ago

newport

"

l

Because Europe has a shortage of drivers as well it’s not just a British problem

bolton

More than a lot of jobs.

Pfft ! Give me a lorry so I can shit in your bushes and say you made me do it. "

Where else do you expect us to go when you can’t hold it any longer if they won’t let you use there’s

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

"shortages of HGV drivers, fruit pickers, hospitality workers, construction workers. Where are all the lazy arse fuckwit brexiters who whinged about foreign workers taking all the jobs? Still sat on their fat lazy arses sponging off the state most likely. - or maybe they are all in Blackpool at the moment

"

Convid 19 to blame

North West

More than a lot of jobs.

Where else do you expect us to go when you can’t hold it any longer if they won’t let you use there’s "

Can you not stop your lorry in the lorry park bit of motorway services and use the toilets at the services? This is what car drivers have to do. I understand not all service stations have lorry parking, but the majority do. Plenty of people who have jobs requiring travel around different sites have the same issue with finding toilets but don't poo outdoors and make a mess.

Tin town

More than a lot of jobs.

Where else do you expect us to go when you can’t hold it any longer if they won’t let you use there’s

Can you not stop your lorry in the lorry park bit of motorway services and use the toilets at the services? This is what car drivers have to do. I understand not all service stations have lorry parking, but the majority do. Plenty of people who have jobs requiring travel around different sites have the same issue with finding toilets but don't poo outdoors and make a mess."

I was kind of assuming the "shitting in the bushes" was just a metaphor. I hadn't appreciated it actually happens. Even dog owners clear up dog presents and put them in a bag in the bin... (not everyone admittedly).

It must be awful getting caught short and on a regular basis but from the luxury of my clean warm toilet seat I'm not sure it's ever necessary to leave a present in a bush for someone else to encounter / clean up.?

Want more lorry drivers? Government should offer to subsidise 50% of the current £4000 (approx) cost. It's a barrier to entry and is a bit too high. Also reduce the amount of stupid retest and medical so they're not as frequent. Every 5 or 6 years would be better.

Tin town

"Want more lorry drivers? Government should offer to subsidise 50% of the current £4000 (approx) cost. It's a barrier to entry and is a bit too high. Also reduce the amount of stupid retest and medical so they're not as frequent. Every 5 or 6 years would be better."

Or perhaps the companies who want and need to recruit the licensed hgv drivers? Why should we all have to pay for it ?

"Want more lorry drivers? Government should offer to subsidise 50% of the current £4000 (approx) cost. It's a barrier to entry and is a bit too high. Also reduce the amount of stupid retest and medical so they're not as frequent. Every 5 or 6 years would be better.

Or perhaps the companies who want and need to recruit the licensed hgv drivers? Why should we all have to pay for it ? "

Because if it wasn't for HGV/ADR drivers we'd all be screwed one way or another abs just as essential as any emergency service which we pay for.

Let's start looking after each other. This 'I'm alright jack' is part of the problems we are facing now

Tin town

"Want more lorry drivers? Government should offer to subsidise 50% of the current £4000 (approx) cost. It's a barrier to entry and is a bit too high. Also reduce the amount of stupid retest and medical so they're not as frequent. Every 5 or 6 years would be better.

Or perhaps the companies who want and need to recruit the licensed hgv drivers? Why should we all have to pay for it ?

Because if it wasn't for HGV/ADR drivers we'd all be screwed one way or another abs just as essential as any emergency service which we pay for.

Let's start looking after each other. This 'I'm alright jack' is part of the problems we are facing now"

Where do you get "im alright Jack" from suggesting companies need to recruit and train and pay their own employees?

Let's start looking after each other. This 'I'm alright jack' is part of the problems we are facing now

Where do you get "im alright Jack" from suggesting companies need to recruit and train and pay their own employees? "

No, I meant it is a general attitude of people seen at petrol pumps all over and during the pandemic. Meaning that some seem to think as long as they are ok then stuff everyone else.

Tin town

Where do you get "im alright Jack" from suggesting companies need to recruit and train and pay their own employees?

No, I meant it is a general attitude of people seen at petrol pumps all over and during the pandemic. Meaning that some seem to think as long as they are ok then stuff everyone else.

"

Oh yes absolutely. It's horrible to see and be a part of. From the entitled pricjs who put their car window down and throw their fast foot wrapper out with out batting an eye lid to stockpiling shopping to fuelling up multiple cars... We can choose to help eachother or not even give a thought to others needs. Massive education is needed.

North West

I need more Further Maths teachers, but they're the rarest of rare breeds. I'm not in control of how many suitable graduates go into teacher training, nor can I set the salary to try and attract staff. I have to cut my cloth accordingly. Staff shortages/difficulties recruiting are not unique to HGV driving - there's a massive issue nationwide. I had to discount applications from EU nationals over summer because they didn't have the right to work in the UK, but some were incredibly well qualified. It's not me missing out.......

bolton

More than a lot of jobs.

Can you not stop your lorry in the lorry park bit of motorway services and use the toilets at the services? This is what car drivers have to do. I understand not all service stations have lorry parking, but the majority do. Plenty of people who have jobs requiring travel around different sites have the same issue with finding toilets but don't poo outdoors and make a mess."

We have timed deliveries we have to stick to or we get sun binned so we can’t stop plus don’t always need one when passing services that’s if there is any space in there

North West

More than a lot of jobs.

Can you not stop your lorry in the lorry park bit of motorway services and use the toilets at the services? This is what car drivers have to do. I understand not all service stations have lorry parking, but the majority do. Plenty of people who have jobs requiring travel around different sites have the same issue with finding toilets but don't poo outdoors and make a mess.

We have timed deliveries we have to stick to or we get sun binned so we can’t stop plus don’t always need one when passing services that’s if there is any space in there"

But that's the same for any profession where driving extensively is required. I have friends who are sales reps and they cover the whole NW. They have appointments in City A or Town B and they cannot be late. They might be 100 miles apart. They have to find a loo "on the hoof" and also find time to eat etc. That's what driving for a living involves. Like I said, there's plenty of other professions where you have to control your bodily functions because it's simply not possible to walk out to the loo at will. If I'm halfway through a lesson and need a wee, it's tough. I have to hold it in and wait for a break AND hope no-one accosts me in the corridor on the way. I can't be late to class/meetings. I understand that's a different scenario to being out on the road, but it's another example of people having to try and plan their lives around immovable timings and appointments/deadlines.

bolton

More than a lot of jobs.

We have timed deliveries we have to stick to or we get sun binned so we can’t stop plus don’t always need one when passing services that’s if there is any space in there

But that's the same for any profession where driving extensively is required. I have friends who are sales reps and they cover the whole NW. They have appointments in City A or Town B and they cannot be late. They might be 100 miles apart. They have to find a loo "on the hoof" and also find time to eat etc. That's what driving for a living involves. Like I said, there's plenty of other professions where you have to control your bodily functions because it's simply not possible to walk out to the loo at will. If I'm halfway through a lesson and need a wee, it's tough. I have to hold it in and wait for a break AND hope no-one accosts me in the corridor on the way. I can't be late to class/meetings. I understand that's a different scenario to being out on the road, but it's another example of people having to try and plan their lives around immovable timings and appointments/deadlines."

Ok sit on a bay for 6 hours going nowhere no food no toilet we don’t want to do it but I ain’t shitting myself for no fucker just because we are drivers and not allowed to use there toilet because we are treated like shit

I find it fascinating that some people whove never set foot in a cab of a lorry te lecture others like me who have done the fucking job its unskilled, it's easy to do and you don't have to piss n shit in bushes, kindly fook off!

What is needed is welfare facilities for drivers for things people take for granted..

Access to toilets, washing, nice food etc.. Im not talking about the ritz! Just decent amenities and secure parking

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

"Is the answer to let in cheap foreign labour or for companies to pay a reasonable package and plan the training and recruitment of their resources competently and professionally.? "

Fair question.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

"Is the answer to let in cheap foreign labour or for companies to pay a reasonable package and plan the training and recruitment of their resources competently and professionally.?

Fair question. "

I think that the answer is the former but be prepared to pay more for everything at the tills as the cost of doing this will get passed onto the customer. I'm happy with this but it will mean for me (and for everyone else) that our wages won't go as far and, for some their wages may not be enough so wages will have to rise.

If wages rise so will our exports and therefore UK made products will be less competitive so companies will sell less and may have to lay workers off...

Doing the right thing is never easy but it must be done.

Tin town

"Is the answer to let in cheap foreign labour or for companies to pay a reasonable package and plan the training and recruitment of their resources competently and professionally.?

Fair question.

I think that the answer is the former but be prepared to pay more for everything at the tills as the cost of doing this will get passed onto the customer. I'm happy with this but it will mean for me (and for everyone else) that our wages won't go as far and, for some their wages may not be enough so wages will have to rise.

If wages rise so will our exports and therefore UK made products will be less competitive so companies will sell less and may have to lay workers off...

Doing the right thing is never easy but it must be done. "

And there's the conundrum isn't it? We care just enough so long as it doesn't inconvenience me or cost me any more money. We care about the cost of everything but the value of nothing. It's good to highlight the awful conditions and treatment by employers of hgv drivers especially when most supply chains are built upon and so dependent upon such a fragile and high risk sector. Bullying, stress, unsafe practices, unfriendly working environments, long hours, often unsociable working days... Take a step back for a moment, take a blank sheet of paper and say you'd design a supply chain that is dependent upon a crumbling undertrained under invested under resourced mechanism. If you take all of the redundancy out of systems and make everything just in time... This is the risk when it goes wrong.

What I don't understand is if there is a Europe wide shortage of drivers and media coverage of that shortage is Europe wide why is Britain the only country with empty shelves and pumps?

Tin town

"What I don't understand is if there is a Europe wide shortage of drivers and media coverage of that shortage is Europe wide why is Britain the only country with empty shelves and pumps?"

One reason is because we are greedy and selfish and have twats filling up with 100s of toilet rolls.. Enough pasta to feed an army. We have petrol stations filling up one day with enough fuel to normally last 5 days and selling out in 6 hours...perhaps there's other reasons too but sometimes we juts need to look in the mirror.

"What I don't understand is if there is a Europe wide shortage of drivers and media coverage of that shortage is Europe wide why is Britain the only country with empty shelves and pumps?

One reason is because we are greedy and selfish and have twats filling up with 100s of toilet rolls.. Enough pasta to feed an army. We have petrol stations filling up one day with enough fuel to normally last 5 days and selling out in 6 hours...perhaps there's other reasons too but sometimes we juts need to look in the mirror. "

Lockdown panic buying happened globally, this is specific to Britain. My foreign mates are texting me in disbelief thinking their media is lying to them and surely Britain hasn't run out of food and fuel.

Tin town

"What I don't understand is if there is a Europe wide shortage of drivers and media coverage of that shortage is Europe wide why is Britain the only country with empty shelves and pumps?

One reason is because we are greedy and selfish and have twats filling up with 100s of toilet rolls.. Enough pasta to feed an army. We have petrol stations filling up one day with enough fuel to normally last 5 days and selling out in 6 hours...perhaps there's other reasons too but sometimes we juts need to look in the mirror.

Lockdown panic buying happened globally, this is specific to Britain. My foreign mates are texting me in disbelief thinking their media is lying to them and surely Britain hasn't run out of food and fuel. "

Well we haven't have we?

Lockdown panic buying happened globally, this is specific to Britain. My foreign mates are texting me in disbelief thinking their media is lying to them and surely Britain hasn't run out of food and fuel.

Well we haven't have we? "

You haven't been to my local Morrison's in the past couple of months then.

Tin town

Well we haven't have we?

You haven't been to my local Morrison's in the past couple of months then."

That's very true I have not been to a Morrisons ... But then again my local waitrose, Tesco, sainsbury, lidl, londis, Co op, farmers shop, one stop have been just fine. In truth some of them have had a few gaps on shelves sometimes for a few days but then filled again soon enough. So far so good.

By *ugardadcleanerMan  over a year ago

cirencester

must get hollie to flash more trucker to thank them

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What I don't understand is if there is a Europe wide shortage of drivers and media coverage of that shortage is Europe wide why is Britain the only country with empty shelves and pumps?"

Well the government have known there have been issues since June 23rd…

How do we know this?….. because that is the day the road haulage association wrote to the prime minister, the department of transport, and the department of business the same letter outlining there was a big problem….

None of them wrote back……

Tin town

Probably should be in another thread about fuel shortage issues of which I am sure there are plenty but given the cause is lack of truck drivers this is good.... Does anybody else feel slightly confused that a few weeks ago when this all kicked off by BP and the media.... The army weren't needed... Going through the usual media and public response of... "don't panic don't panic... OK fuck it... Panic we are all going to run out of petrol fill every available container..." for a week....and "we have. O intention of using the army yet"... And now coming out the other side... Where it seems supply is better and the public have no more containers to fill...

Tomorrow when it's nearly back to normal... The army are getting involved? I'm curious to understand why the timing? Or indeed why at all?

I mean 50k or 80k or 100k shortage of drivers depending on which story you read... The number goes up every day... But 100 army drivers are going to fix the problem?

Durham

How do we know this?….. because that is the day the road haulage association wrote to the prime minister, the department of transport, and the department of business the same letter outlining there was a big problem….

None of them wrote back……"

This is not a brexit or Pandemic problem. There has been a shortage of British drivers for some years now. Bringing in foreign cheap labour pushed drivers out of the profession. Now there's a perfect storm. The supply of just in time instead of people holding stock when the world is starting to get back up and running is that perfect storm. Instead of people blaming everyone else, look at the whole world and the shortage of everything not just Britain. A long term solution is needed not a sticky plaster

Durham

Sorry that last post was a bit of a mish mash. Shortage of HGV drivers has been a problem for many years, the rest as in perfect storm, storm is created by the Pandemic..... Doh

This is not a brexit or Pandemic problem. There has been a shortage of British drivers for some years now. Bringing in foreign cheap labour pushed drivers out of the profession. Now there's a perfect storm. The supply of just in time instead of people holding stock when the world is starting to get back up and running is that perfect storm. Instead of people blaming everyone else, look at the whole world and the shortage of everything not just Britain. A long term solution is needed not a sticky plaster "

There has been a shortage versus foreign labour has kept salaries down is a juxtaposition I've not been able to quite square off.

I guess the marginal cost of the next driver isn't worth the gain .. but that doesn't feel like a shortage to me.

Tin town

This is not a brexit or Pandemic problem. There has been a shortage of British drivers for some years now. Bringing in foreign cheap labour pushed drivers out of the profession. Now there's a perfect storm. The supply of just in time instead of people holding stock when the world is starting to get back up and running is that perfect storm. Instead of people blaming everyone else, look at the whole world and the shortage of everything not just Britain. A long term solution is needed not a sticky plaster

There has been a shortage versus foreign labour has kept salaries down is a juxtaposition I've not been able to quite square off.

I guess the marginal cost of the next driver isn't worth the gain .. but that doesn't feel like a shortage to me. "

People have been walking away from the profession for many years due to payment, bullying, conditions... The answer surely is shift less stuff that depends on a scarce resource, make changes to pay, conditions and behaviours to make it more appealing... What does a tube driver earn and how many hours do they work compared to an hgv driver?

Durham

Well we haven't have we?

You haven't been to my local Morrison's in the past couple of months then.

That's very true I have not been to a Morrisons ... But then again my local waitrose, Tesco, sainsbury, lidl, londis, Co op, farmers shop, one stop have been just fine. In truth some of them have had a few gaps on shelves sometimes for a few days but then filled again soon enough. So far so good. "

Same here, we've not seen any shortages in Aldi and petrol was all good till the toilet roll brigade started

I guess the marginal cost of the next driver isn't worth the gain .. but that doesn't feel like a shortage to me.

People have been walking away from the profession for many years due to payment, bullying, conditions... The answer surely is shift less stuff that depends on a scarce resource, make changes to pay, conditions and behaviours to make it more appealing... What does a tube driver earn and how many hours do they work compared to an hgv driver? "

totally get that. It's the fact nothing has changed despite this and despite there being shortages that Im trying to understand. The industries words don't match their actions.

Durham

People have been walking away from the profession for many years due to payment, bullying, conditions... The answer surely is shift less stuff that depends on a scarce resource, make changes to pay, conditions and behaviours to make it more appealing... What does a tube driver earn and how many hours do they work compared to an hgv driver? totally get that. It's the fact nothing has changed despite this and despite there being shortages that Im trying to understand. The industries words don't match their actions. "

It's working conditions in general now. Who feels valued anymore. We are just a number now. Mrs F has just handed her notice in from a job she loves due to the lack of being valued. They have treat her like shit since they took over the contract a year ago so enough is enough. The last company that had the contract weren't much better but this new company have taken the biscuit. I have worked at the same place for 30 years and treatment of staff declines every year. I can't wait till I can cash my pension in. It's a culture now

Tin town

People have been walking away from the profession for many years due to payment, bullying, conditions... The answer surely is shift less stuff that depends on a scarce resource, make changes to pay, conditions and behaviours to make it more appealing... What does a tube driver earn and how many hours do they work compared to an hgv driver? totally get that. It's the fact nothing has changed despite this and despite there being shortages that Im trying to understand. The industries words don't match their actions. "

Well the cheap and plentiful EU pool resource meant they could carry on as they were.... And now they can't... The fix is the haulage compa ies need to change... If they can't haul they'll go out of business... The govt propping them up won't change anything however.

People have been walking away from the profession for many years due to payment, bullying, conditions... The answer surely is shift less stuff that depends on a scarce resource, make changes to pay, conditions and behaviours to make it more appealing... What does a tube driver earn and how many hours do they work compared to an hgv driver? totally get that. It's the fact nothing has changed despite this and despite there being shortages that Im trying to understand. The industries words don't match their actions.

Well the cheap and plentiful EU pool resource meant they could carry on as they were.... And now they can't... The fix is the haulage compa ies need to change... If they can't haul they'll go out of business... The govt propping them up won't change anything however. "

yet they claim there was a shortage despite the ready supply.

I'm knocking the companies here btw. Their words don't match their actions.

Tin town

People have been walking away from the profession for many years due to payment, bullying, conditions... The answer surely is shift less stuff that depends on a scarce resource, make changes to pay, conditions and behaviours to make it more appealing... What does a tube driver earn and how many hours do they work compared to an hgv driver? totally get that. It's the fact nothing has changed despite this and despite there being shortages that Im trying to understand. The industries words don't match their actions.

Well the cheap and plentiful EU pool resource meant they could carry on as they were.... And now they can't... The fix is the haulage compa ies need to change... If they can't haul they'll go out of business... The govt propping them up won't change anything however. yet they claim there was a shortage despite the ready supply.

I'm knocking the companies here btw. Their words don't match their actions. "

Agree with you. The problem is of their making and is theirs to fix... Or not. Its long overdue to reduce the size of hgv movements anyway as they destroy our roads and villages. Every cloud and all that. More 7.5 tonners...?

All so we can choose from 40 different types of tomato or 100 different types of kitchen roll.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

None of them wrote back……"

I worked in the Truck Stop sector for Truckers for 10 years to 2006, and also in 1995 for an HGV Recruitment agency. In both cases, there was a known shortage of HGV drivers, about which respective Govt's did nothing despite knowing full well of the issues concerning all of Europe as well as in the UK.

» Add a new message to this topic