FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fuel shortage

Fuel shortage

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usman 199 OP   Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Been past a few fuel stations this morning people queuing. Is itbthe same up and down the country

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atricia ParnelWoman  over a year ago

In a town full of colours

There is not a fuel shortage, its a delivery driver shortage for some garages, the supermarkets have plenty, but again people panic buy

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Petrol is the new toilet roll.

By *iltopbearMan  over a year ago

Norfolk

There was a massive queue at my local Morrisons yesterday evening because the Shell station had sold out of diesel and high octane petrol.

All due to delays in delivery.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Petrol is the new toilet roll. "

It makes my bum smell lovely.

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

That’s going to create some precarious fire hazards!

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Don't try lighting farts

"There is not a fuel shortage, its a delivery driver shortage for some garages, the supermarkets have plenty, but again people panic buy "

This

Turkey shortage ! Buy chicken !

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

"There is not a fuel shortage, its a delivery driver shortage for some garages, the supermarkets have plenty, but again people panic buy

This

Turkey shortage ! Buy chicken ! "

I can solve the turkey and fuel shortage at a stroke. Simply train the turkeys to pull little barrels of petrol to the supermarkets, then slaughter them.

It´s not rocket science.

Run it on turps

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Local Tesco Extra is busy. Due to fuel queueing, shoppers are struggling to get out of carpark. Just crazy as lack of drivers mean the tanks refill will be a problem next week.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Couple of days it will be all over.

By *tue555Man  over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

This is once again irresponsible media reporting.

They reported a potential fuel shortage which subsequently has caused panic buying, which ultimately will result in an actual fuel shortage.

The issue is with shortage of HGV drivers due to lockdown (no lessons no tests). Some are trying to blame it on brexit FFS get over it. But it is a Europe/world wide problem also not just UK.

Another cost of pandemic

Worlds gone mad, its the panic buying that will cause the shortage

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

My local garage and Morrisons have been crazy busy today. My petrol is really low but I’ll try tomorrow if there’s any left! The media have made this all much worse than needed. If everyone just fills up when they truly need to, we have enough fuel.

By *enny PR9TV/TS  over a year ago

Southport

"Worlds gone mad, its the panic buying that will cause the shortage "

Looks like I picked a good week to convert my bike to electric.

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

I have panic bought all the D size batteries…. So if you ladies need a rabbit recharge …. You’ll have to come to me!! - also available all brown M&M’s and all white xmas lights - available in any colour!!!

By *nblemishedhotwifeCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

Sad fucking idiots who believe everything they read in msm and have zero life.

By *TK421-Man  over a year ago

Cheltenham

Yes it's an issue when big news outlets lead with stories of stations closing and lorry drivers fighting for fuel during a shortage.

Kind of irresponsible journalism. It kicks off the panic buying that leads to shortages...

I for one won't panic buy...

My attic just happens to have 1000 toilet rolls left over from last year.... For insulation.

By *mma29Couple  over a year ago

wirral

There's huge queues at all the petrol stations I've past today...it's so annoying all the roads are blocked

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I filled up all the cars today, nothing to with shortages and everything to do with bonus nectar points

By *apxxxWoman  over a year ago

North Shropshire not Wales!!!ffs & Manchester

We don't have a fuel shortage!!...plenty of fuel...we have a tanker driver shortage!!

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

I couldn't get onto my nearest supermarket carpark to go shopping, due to cars queueing for the petrol station. I drove to the next town and they had Morrisons staff directing traffic! I only needed shopping though 'cos I'm a smug EV driver

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

Thanks #Brexit

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Might sting a bit though

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

"There is not a fuel shortage, its a delivery driver shortage for some garages, the supermarkets have plenty, but again people panic buy "

supermarkets dont have plenty it has been reported asda and tesco are closing stations.

"Thanks #Brexit"

Nothing to do with Brexit

By *TK421-Man  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Thanks #Brexit

Nothing to do with Brexit "

You sure?

I mean the lack of drivers has nothing at all to do with Brexit? Even a little?

Nothing at all to do with how hard it is to work over here now for non Brits. Or how unwelcome they feel.

Interesting... That's not what's been reported repeatedly in the news.

But I am open to being wrong.

**runs off to panic by the new electric mustang**

Don't try this a home kids!

"This is once again irresponsible media reporting.

They reported a potential fuel shortage which subsequently has caused panic buying, which ultimately will result in an actual fuel shortage.

The issue is with shortage of HGV drivers due to lockdown (no lessons no tests). Some are trying to blame it on brexit FFS get over it. But it is a Europe/world wide problem also not just UK.

Another cost of pandemic

"

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

our tesco is out

hope things improve soon

By *usman 199 OP   Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"our tesco is out

hope things improve soon"

out out or just out

Toilet rolls are next!!!!

"Thanks #Brexit

Nothing to do with Brexit "

Everything to do with Brexit...believe me its well documented that since we left the EU drivers aren't coming over to driver in the UK...its not financially viable for them to do so and of course the red tape which is now in place

"Thanks #Brexit

You sure?

Nothing at all to do with how hard it is to work over here now for non Brits. Or how unwelcome they feel.

But I am open to being wrong."

Another cost of pandemic

"

There is also the factor of previously poor working conditions and low wages for actual work done. A friend of mine has an HGV license but stopped doing the work and now delivers for Asda. He's home in the evenings to see his kids, he gets days off, he's not expected to do pallet-loading/unloading, he doesn't get stuck in motorway traffic and he now earns more money. He told me that an ex-colleague of his posted on his FB that he was nearly 5 hours in traffic on the M25 the other day due to the Insulation Rebellion mob and has now handed his notice in too. They can offer them more money but can't promise an equal work/home-life balance so a lot of them who have family no longer want to do it.

Tin town

Imagine.

Protestors stop traffic and cause queues... Reaction... Lock em up selfish entitled bastards.

Imagine 2.

Customers incited to cause traffic jams, stop traffic and shortages at every petrol station all across the country as they top up all of their cars, more fuel than they will use in a month .. Reaction... Bloody brexit blame the government.

full tankers of irony arriving shortly.

Noticed my local garage has jumped up 10p per litre more for fuel, compared to what it was at the beginning of the week.... i guess it's a part of having the upper hand, but the panic buyers have been responsible for this hike

"Couple of days it will be all over. "
Only if the media stops reporting and scare mongering. It's the idiots with gerry cans who should be flogged in public !

All our petrol stations ran out yesterday, and some of the surrounding areas. Was absolutely ridiculous the queues x

By *ucksguy2000Man  over a year ago

aylesbury

No fuel in the station next to where I live with no delivery date, probably same in town, luckily I can cycle to work. Was going out today but had to cancel

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Some places are limiting fuel to £30. If they put the price up too, each person will get less, making reserves stretch to more people. .

There'll probably be some muppets driving to very expensive motorway stations, thinking they'll skip queues but wasting fuel getting there.

It's a pity that the people panic buying - using fuel to get filled up too - are going to be making it more difficult for people who have to do long distance journeys.

"I have panic bought all the D size batteries…. So if you ladies need a rabbit recharge …. You’ll have to come to me!! - also available all brown M&M’s and all white xmas lights - available in any colour!!! "

Rabbits don’t take ‘D’ batteries.

By *stoppMan  over a year ago

Durham

I fully blame the media, anything for a headline.. not satisfied with lorry driver shortage 'food not getting to shops'.. but no one really believed that, so lets rank it up a bit 'shortage of fuel'.. now the thing is you can't see how much fuel a petrol station has, so now comes the panic buying..

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

Prettymuch, I had to drop my sister home Bedfordshire to Epping via A406 last night ques everywhere stations shut.

I qued for 1 n half hours to get petrol.

Chaos.

Bedford

Now there are loads of cars sitting on the driveway full of fuel, wtf.

If a nurse or doc need to get fuel to get to work they are buggered.

I saw a big fat Asian guy filling a big merc to the brim and kids filling up their Bmw's their parents bought them to cruise around friggin night.

They should have the police going along the ques and shifting anyone with half a tank or more.

Insane panic buying.

My daughter is a care worker, has to drive to her ‘clients’ (mostly OAP’s, some MS etc.). She has phoned to tell me she has only one bar left and cannot get fuel, so I am taking fuel from what is left in my car so she car keep looking after them or they will be left on their own!!! Hopefully this current ‘issue’ will resolve and she has enough fuel to get home so I can give her what I have managed to get out of my car!

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Another cost of pandemic

"

Completely wrong. While there is indeed a worldwide driver shortage, it is a direct effect of Brexit that has caused drivers from Europe who were formerly part of our transport infrastructure to neither want to work nor live in the UK, and as such our delivery infrastructure has suffered a blow it may never recover from for a generation at least.

The pandemic has exacerbated the situation, but as we are the only country in the world suffering from these shortages, it’s curious how Brexit would not be the issue, as we’re the only country also suffering from the self-inflicted disaster of Brexit too.

Morons everywhere.

Tractor juice is still available

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Morons everywhere.

Tractor juice is still available "

Don’t be putting that red in your car . I’ll tell

By *onyjoCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough

If the media had kept quiet there wouldnt have been a problem. That bloody idiot Jeremy Vine had a phone in on his show yesterday to continue the mass hysteria.

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

Fuck sake.

Do not go to a services.

I'm trying to exit but stuck due to the fuel queue.

Over 30 mins now

Hope it does settle down quickly, as mentioned, NHS and social care staff will be unable to get to work. I've half a tank, I've not gone to even try to fill up but... If I run out before this lunacy stops it's patients who will be affected. To those putting prices up and capitalising on this situation, shame on you. Don't try telling me it's done to conserve what they have cause that's rubbish, limit amounts sold in any one transaction certainly but increasing prices is wrong.

Manipulated chaos by media. Grrrr

By *urls and DressesWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere near here

Pay day monday, if there’s no fuel left I won’t be going to work, kids won’t be going to school and we’ll be living on baked beans for the foreseeable. Nearest shop is an 18 mile round trip, school is a 30 minute journey. Yet town folk who can walk wherever and tanking up. Selfish

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Morons everywhere.

Tractor juice is still available "

Tractor juice to the rescue! Lock your supply up

Tin town

Another cost of pandemic

Completely wrong. While there is indeed a worldwide driver shortage, it is a direct effect of Brexit that has caused drivers from Europe who were formerly part of our transport infrastructure to neither want to work nor live in the UK, and as such our delivery infrastructure has suffered a blow it may never recover from for a generation at least.

The pandemic has exacerbated the situation, but as we are the only country in the world suffering from these shortages, it’s curious how Brexit would not be the issue, as we’re the only country also suffering from the self-inflicted disaster of Brexit too. "

Even if any of that were true... Is it brexit... Which is forcing people to go and fill multiple cars? Not really is it? Personal responsibility may also be a factor. But while people can choose to behave that way and blame something or someone else... Seems many of them will.

By *nfin8yWoman  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

Big queue at my local Morrison’s yesterday with staff directing traffic. Pics on FB showing idiots filling multiple fuel cans as well. Probably the same ones who had trolleys full of loo rolls.

Tin town

"Big queue at my local Morrison’s yesterday with staff directing traffic. Pics on FB showing idiots filling multiple fuel cans as well. Probably the same ones who had trolleys full of loo rolls. "

Yep... That must be the fault of brexit ... I mean before brexit they were always going and filling up their fuel cans

"Big queue at my local Morrison’s yesterday with staff directing traffic. Pics on FB showing idiots filling multiple fuel cans as well. Probably the same ones who had trolleys full of loo rolls. "

It’s called ‘selfish’.

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

To be fair. I get why people filled up. I did. I have to get my child to hospital appointments etc and there are no trains or buses. But fuel cans! I imagine that will be stopped if it hasn’t already.

By *lay 4 uMan  over a year ago

bolton

Why all of a sudden we have a shortage of tanker drivers?. Could it be that because the government isn't allowing in cheap labour and asking for drivers to get a reasonable wage and conditions. By the way I'm not a driver .

GRABS CAR KEYS....shit be back in hour

By *nfin8yWoman  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

"Big queue at my local Morrison’s yesterday with staff directing traffic. Pics on FB showing idiots filling multiple fuel cans as well. Probably the same ones who had trolleys full of loo rolls.

To be fair. I get why people filled up. I did. I have to get my child to hospital appointments etc and there are no trains or buses. But fuel cans! I imagine that will be stopped if it hasn’t already. "

That’s true. People have appointments and work to get to etc but they should certainly stop the fuel can malarkey.

Petrol garage up the road has a massive queue been like it for hours bonkers

Bristol

Another cost of pandemic

The pandemic has exacerbated the situation, but as we are the only country in the world suffering from these shortages, it’s curious how Brexit would not be the issue, as we’re the only country also suffering from the self-inflicted disaster of Brexit too.

Even if any of that were true... Is it brexit... Which is forcing people to go and fill multiple cars? Not really is it? Personal responsibility may also be a factor. But while people can choose to behave that way and blame something or someone else... Seems many of them will. "

There’s no debate over whether it’s true or not, it’s documented fact.

Your other question makes no sense. Of course it’s not ‘Brexit’ forcing people to fill their cars, how could it be? It’s fear of having no fuel that’s making them do that. However, the reason they are scared of running out of fuel is due to a delivery infrastructure issue that is a direct result of Brexit.

Tin town

"GRABS CAR KEYS....shit be back in hour "

Bit optimistic there mate...

"GRABS CAR KEYS....shit be back in hour

Bit optimistic there mate... "

Ill beep my horn so the que gose faster!

Bristol

"Why all of a sudden we have a shortage of tanker drivers?. Could it be that because the government isn't allowing in cheap labour and asking for drivers to get a reasonable wage and conditions. By the way I'm not a driver ."

We’ve always had a shortage of domestic drivers. That shortage has been made up by European drivers willing to work for less than domestic drivers.

As we have disincentivized European drivers from working and living here because Brexit has both caused them to leave the country and made the job of driving between Europe and the UK much harder because of the additional administration and queuing, there is a shortage.

That shortage has been exacerbated by Covid causing others to return to Europe, and not come back.

Any competent government would have planned for the obvious driver shortage Brexit would cause, as the industry warned them repeatedly this would happen. Ours didn’t.

But of course no competent government would have handled Brexit the way ours has, or even promoted the idea of a referendum in the first place. So here we are.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

"Thanks #Brexit

You sure?

That's lucky then

Norwich

"Why all of a sudden we have a shortage of tanker drivers?. Could it be that because the government isn't allowing in cheap labour and asking for drivers to get a reasonable wage and conditions. By the way I'm not a driver ."

This

(an ex-driver)

By *illiamMeetsMan  over a year ago

sunnyside

Conspiracy theory: all part of govt plan to get people to go electric.

"Thanks #Brexit

You sure?

Everything to do with DSA not doing any driving tests leading to a shortage of drivers coupled with incumbent drivers being unable to get medicals

Bristol

"Conspiracy theory: all part of govt plan to get people to go electric. "

This government doesn’t plan, it reacts.

Badly.

"Conspiracy theory: all part of govt plan to get people to go electric.

Badly."

So wrong

Bristol

Badly.

So wrong"

Feel free to try to articulate why!

Badly.

So wrong

Feel free to try to articulate why! "

If i thought it was worth my time i would

Bristol

Badly.

So wrong

If i thought it was worth my time i would "

Sure!

"Why all of a sudden we have a shortage of tanker drivers?. Could it be that because the government isn't allowing in cheap labour and asking for drivers to get a reasonable wage and conditions. By the way I'm not a driver .

This

(an ex-driver)"

why ex ? Was it just pay or was there anything else (from what i read you can throw in tax changes, lack of planning, lack of tests, as well as better options elsewhere)

Be interesting to hear your take from the inside.

Badly.

So wrong

Sure! "

You can keep your thought pattern of me being a sub intelligent person incapeable of expressing my intellect or articulate this with the writen word, then you would very much misstaken. But sadly i will digress to my orignal statement.

If thought it was worth my time i would

By * Sophie xTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

"Conspiracy theory: all part of govt plan to get people to go electric. "

Of course it is, just like Covid-19 doesn't exist, man never stepped foot on the moon and NASA don't want you to know the earth isn't actually a globe

Did you know the Titanic didn't sink either, it was her sister ship Britannic

"Big queue at my local Morrison’s yesterday with staff directing traffic. Pics on FB showing idiots filling multiple fuel cans as well. Probably the same ones who had trolleys full of loo rolls.

To be fair. I get why people filled up. I did. I have to get my child to hospital appointments etc and there are no trains or buses. But fuel cans! I imagine that will be stopped if it hasn’t already. "

I saw a sign at the local petrol station that said "£30 limit and no patrol cans unless you are a delivery van or emergency service vehicle" I do understand why people filled up but thats what causes the problem. If everybody just takes what they need rather than panicking we really wouldnt have a problem and this will settle down in a few days.

By *oberts_onMan  over a year ago

King's Lynn

Good way of getting rid of the old fuel, ready for the new E10...

Bristol

Badly.

So wrong

Sure!

You can keep your thought pattern of me being a sub intelligent person incapeable of expressing my intellect or articulate this with the writen word, then you would very much misstaken. But sadly i will digress to my orignal statement.

"

Your word salad here doesn’t do much to convince on that point, sorry!

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

Another cost of pandemic

Even if any of that were true... Is it brexit... Which is forcing people to go and fill multiple cars? Not really is it? Personal responsibility may also be a factor. But while people can choose to behave that way and blame something or someone else... Seems many of them will.

There’s no debate over whether it’s true or not, it’s documented fact.

Your other question makes no sense. Of course it’s not ‘Brexit’ forcing people to fill their cars, how could it be? It’s fear of having no fuel that’s making them do that. However, the reason they are scared of running out of fuel is due to a delivery infrastructure issue that is a direct result of Brexit."

Nailed. The shitshow Blukip government are now u-turning to get EU HGV drivers to work here on short-term visas.

Now, I wonder what the reaction will be...

Badly.

So wrong

Sure!

Your word salad here doesn’t do much to convince on that point, sorry! "

You choose to belive that the goverment is a ficle orgination that hasnt got a clue. I choose to belive the oppisite that each of there actions is thought out and planned, at what level do really think these higly educated people have no forsight, or that there actions are mearly a reaction to socity . my choice is to belive that what we see in the front of us is the choice of goverments that want us to belive there here for us and the people that work hard and pay there dues. I see parliment, papers and the news as fodder for our distraction. When someone watches american football that never has, its like a brawl ,it makes little sence why that guy let him self get smashed into the floor and took one for the team, it just looks like bad reactions from one player , but it was all part of the plan.

By *eo55Man  over a year ago

Huntingdon/Cambridge/Peterborough

There is not a fuel shortage, there is also not a driver shortage as there are plenty of British drivers looking for work. The fuel companies won't pay the British drivers a decent wage, instead they would rather pay foreign drivers half the normal wage to do the same job.

"Morons everywhere.

Tractor juice is still available

Don’t be putting that red in your car . I’ll tell "

Best pull big bertha out the shed and annoy the townies

By *Mr MercuryMan  over a year ago

Wirral

Ex HGV driver here.

Now on a much better wage. Better more social hours. I'm not having to man handle 1t pallets of paving slabs, or heavy cages full of food for the supermarkets and injure myself in the process.

The foreign driver market changes every decade. Polish, Romania , Lithuania etc. They all end up going home and staying in their own countries as their living wages increase. To the point where it's no longer viable for them to remain and work here.

This point has simply been exacerbated by the Pandemic, Brexit the Suez Canal delays etc.

HGV driving as a job is shit. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. And this has been a long time coming. The current Government aren't prepared, but neither was any preceeding governmenr before it. Labour OR Conservative.

I was on fumes and had to go fill up today. Only premium left... garages have put up their prices too, £1.53 a litre at my garage

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It would be far less of a problem if people weren't panic buying and filling up petrol cans as well as their cars.

Lots here are out of diesel and restricting petrol to £10 per car.

How will bringing foreign labour over on temporary visas work if they still can’t get a hgv driving test?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"How will bringing foreign labour over on temporary visas work if they still can’t get a hgv driving test?"

I'm guessing they mean those already qualified

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"How will bringing foreign labour over on temporary visas work if they still can’t get a hgv driving test?"

I'm not sure either, as there seems to be a Europe wide shortage of hgv drivers.

No petrol - cant eat ur pussy

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Many of the cheap foreign drivers who bosses have used to force UK drivers out of the industry are now working in Spain.

They are now forcing Spanish drivers into either pay cuts or the dole.

This is the EU's free movement which bad bosses love. It's great that it is now being unwound in the UK

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

It's the media showing stories online for the ad revenue as they know people will click and comment.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"Ex HGV driver here.

Now on a much better wage. Better more social hours. I'm not having to man handle 1t pallets of paving slabs, or heavy cages full of food for the supermarkets and injure myself in the process.

The foreign driver market changes every decade. Polish, Romania , Lithuania etc. They all end up going home and staying in their own countries as their living wages increase. To the point where it's no longer viable for them to remain and work here.

This point has simply been exacerbated by the Pandemic, Brexit the Suez Canal delays etc.

HGV driving as a job is shit. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. And this has been a long time coming. The current Government aren't prepared, but neither was any preceeding governmenr before it. Labour OR Conservative. "

Now we are seeing the effects of successive governments taking blus collar manual workers for granted and ignoring their growing concerns over wage suppression for so long.

"It's the media showing stories online for the ad revenue as they know people will click and comment."

It's complete an utter cop out to Blame the media.

Isn't it funny people on here constantly saying the media is full of rubbish don't listen to them but when they want to abdicate all personal responsibility blame the media!

"Ex HGV driver here.

HGV driving as a job is shit. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. And this has been a long time coming. The current Government aren't prepared, but neither was any preceeding governmenr before it. Labour OR Conservative.

Now we are seeing the effects of successive governments taking blus collar manual workers for granted and ignoring their growing concerns over wage suppression for so long."

It's not just the government, its us collective as a society. We undervalue those that we rely on the most and now we are paying the consequences for that.

Bristol

"Ex HGV driver here.

HGV driving as a job is shit. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. And this has been a long time coming. The current Government aren't prepared, but neither was any preceeding governmenr before it. Labour OR Conservative. "

This is true, but it’s pointless suggesting that previous governments prior to 2010 bear responsibility for anything but a slight responsibility, by comparison with governments since.

The major determinate factor here is Brexit, and that is not a point of debate, but an observable fact. Trends are observable and should be planned for, but they are trends. Covid is unforeseen and unpredictable. Brexit was not. It was a crisis that was chosen, campaigned for, and visible to all at all times.

This Conservative government has had five years to plan for this precise and obvious scenario that was predicted by people both within the industry and without, and just as with everything else they are responsible for, be it our food supply, our energy supply, our health and care infrastructure ad infinitum, they did precisely nothing, preferring to play up to the newspapers and their gullible voter base instead of doing their urgent jobs.

And so we are where we are - in crisis. And this is what we deserve. If you choose criminals, fools and incompetents to govern, don’t be surprised when disaster is the result.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Ex HGV driver here.

Now we are seeing the effects of successive governments taking blus collar manual workers for granted and ignoring their growing concerns over wage suppression for so long.

It's not just the government, its us collective as a society. We undervalue those that we rely on the most and now we are paying the consequences for that. "

Truer word was never spoken. We live in a society that refers to football players as heroes without the slightest hint of irony

Bristol

"Ex HGV driver here.

It's not just the government, its us collective as a society. We undervalue those that we rely on the most and now we are paying the consequences for that.

Truer word was never spoken. We live in a society that refers to football players as heroes without the slightest hint of irony"

Are there any societies that don’t? We’re no different to anyone else in that regard.

"Ex HGV driver here.

Truer word was never spoken. We live in a society that refers to football players as heroes without the slightest hint of irony"

I agree and it's not just that, we have been telling young people for at least a decade they are somehow failing if they dont get a degree and go into a profession.

Now the very people that are in these professions are irritated that they can't get petrol whenever they want it or things delivered to their supermarket because we dont have the staff to be able to do this. We need to stop devaluing the work force its as simple as that.

"Ex HGV driver here.

Truer word was never spoken. We live in a society that refers to football players as heroes without the slightest hint of irony

Are there any societies that don’t? We’re no different to anyone else in that regard."

Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it OK. Thats not really a justification!

By *ovelifelovefuntimesMan  over a year ago

Where ever I lay my hat

People are fucking idiots fueled by the print media encouraging scare mongering.

Bristol

"Ex HGV driver here.

Are there any societies that don’t? We’re no different to anyone else in that regard.

Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it OK. Thats not really a justification!"

It’s not a justification, it’s an observation. There are problems you can tackle in society in a reasonable timeframe, and others you can’t. Hero worship of footballers and improper value and respect for workers is something far deeper than one of simple political change, as it pervades all societies to greater or lesser extents. And the root of this lies within capitalism itself, rather than our inherent natures.

How do you solve capitalism?

You only have to look at the way we treated people during the lockdowns to see why we have this problem.

People will donating hand creams and food and alsorts to NHS staff which is amazing.

But on the flipside our delivery drivers and long haul lorry drivers couldnt even get a hot drink, Use a shower and in some cases even toilets because they closed the service stations down and nobody was protesting or shouting loudly for them to get a pay rise.

"Ex HGV driver here.

I agree and it's not just that, we have been telling young people for at least a decade they are somehow failing if they dont get a degree and go into a profession.

Now the very people that are in these professions are irritated that they can't get petrol whenever they want it or things delivered to their supermarket because we dont have the staff to be able to do this. We need to stop devaluing the work force its as simple as that. "

The evils of Brexit can be seen now to be to be a myth perpetuated by multinationals wanting to keep wage costs low. If COVID hadn’t scuppered DSA driving tests, there would be no shortage of drivers

Say at Asda earlier for my usual weekly fill up and noticed a sign saying

“Due to the current High demand we request that you fill up to a maximum of £30”

So I did, however the old fella in front of me, who was speaking to the fella putting up the signs, Went for the full tank at £55

I’m not sure if I’m the dumbass for doing what I’m told or he’s the prick for brimming his tank

"Say at Asda earlier for my usual weekly fill up and noticed a sign saying

“Due to the current High demand we request that you fill up to a maximum of £30”

So I did, however the old fella in front of me, who was speaking to the fella putting up the signs, Went for the full tank at £55

I’m not sure if I’m the dumbass for doing what I’m told or he’s the prick for brimming his tank

"

I would say it's definitely not you that's the dumbass.

By *r.SJMan  over a year ago

Wellingborough

A lot of blame on the media and yes, we're the gullible mass that take it in, although I personally like to check my facts! And yes the media have run with it but it's still the consumers acting like headless chickens but ultimately... was it planned?

British labour, drivers etc are expensive and as consumers and the media, as a collective we're gullible and predictable. The 'crisis' started with BP closing some of their stations and making it public knowledge... so is it not possible that it's just corporate management, banking on our predictability and the chaos theory, knowing full well the government would have to step in and reconsider visas and opening the market back up to cheaper labour and bigger profits for the top dogs?

"Say at Asda earlier for my usual weekly fill up and noticed a sign saying

I would say it's definitely not you that's the dumbass. "

Phew as that does make a change from normal

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

I noticed in the supermarket the other day that beans were getting unusually low in J.S ....

OMG (hands on head like Munch's "the scream" picture.) How will we survive? What will we eat? Noooo, not a beans shortage? Are people going out & stocking up on beans & pasta again???? Really?

People - chill the fuck out for FFS!

There is/are other foods.... Use your cooking Imaginations!!!!!!

Boris, stop procrastinating. Get the army temporarily in until we have a more

permanent solution.

Next problem.....

"I noticed in the supermarket the other day that beans were getting unusually low in J.S ....

OMG (hands on head like Munch's "the scream" picture.) How will we survive? What will we eat? Noooo, not a beans shortage? Are people going out & stocking up on beans & pasta again???? Really?

People - chill the fuck out for FFS!

There is/are other foods.... Use your cooking Imaginations!!!!!!

Boris, stop procrastinating. Get the army temporarily in until we have a more

permanent solution.

Next problem..... "

No people and not panic buying food but there was a shortage because there was a shortage of drivers for delivery and this is now going to increase because people have rushed out to buy petrol so will have a knock on effect on delivery's.

Just driven from Derby to cannock and back , all petrol stations had queues and a few when driving back are now closed,all the idiots panic buying are now causing a shortage.It’s probably the same people who stockpiled toilet rolls .A country of idiots

Spain, Lancs

It's been going on since before 2010

By *urvySub87Woman  over a year ago

Near Wellingborough

Just a load of selfish panick buying twats. I had to drive 15 minutes to find a petrol station with stock last night. Luckily they did the honourable thing and told everyone they could have £30 each so that there was enough for everyone. Anyone who tried to go over that amount had their pump turned off

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I wonder who all the panic buyers are, I've never met anyone who admitted to it

By *onb21Woman  over a year ago

Cardiff

I tried 6 petrol stations before I got lucky. There is a shortage, whatever the cause.

I also struggled to get a taxi last night to go to an event because, apparently, there's a shortage of drivers.

Fucked up times.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

My dad keeps going on about the war and how they managed. I'm starting to think he has a point

if people didnt panic buy then there wouldnt be a shortage, a fuel station has an amount of fuel it expects to sell every week, therefore orders that amount, the problems start when more is sold than they expect, thats when the problems start, same as before, if everyone kept to normal usage then all would be ok, change that then its no suprise that shops etc cant cope

"You only have to look at the way we treated people during the lockdowns to see why we have this problem.

People will donating hand creams and food and alsorts to NHS staff which is amazing.

But on the flipside our delivery drivers and long haul lorry drivers couldnt even get a hot drink, Use a shower and in some cases even toilets because they closed the service stations down and nobody was protesting or shouting loudly for them to get a pay rise. "

Well said.

Bristol

"It's been going on since before 2010"

There’s a difference between a trend and a crisis event. Governments before 2010 didn’t address the trend; the governments of 2010 and after are the architects of this crisis.

Bristol

"if people didnt panic buy then there wouldnt be a shortage, a fuel station has an amount of fuel it expects to sell every week, therefore orders that amount, the problems start when more is sold than they expect, thats when the problems start, same as before, if everyone kept to normal usage then all would be ok, change that then its no suprise that shops etc cant cope"

No, you are wrong. Panic buying did not cause the shortage. The shortage (and reporting of it) caused the panic buying.

By *itty9899Man  over a year ago

Craggy Island

People need to stop read newspapers and watching the news. Bunch of fucking twats.

Spain, Lancs

"It's been going on since before 2010

There’s a difference between a trend and a crisis event. Governments before 2010 didn’t address the trend; the governments of 2010 and after are the architects of this crisis."

You miss the point: it was the EU's free movement policy that flooded the labour market... to the glee of bad employers. That policy resulted, pre-2010 and post-2010, in UK drivers being forced out of the industry.

All people of good will will be celebrating now that that bullying is coming to an end

"if people didnt panic buy then there wouldnt be a shortage, a fuel station has an amount of fuel it expects to sell every week, therefore orders that amount, the problems start when more is sold than they expect, thats when the problems start, same as before, if everyone kept to normal usage then all would be ok, change that then its no suprise that shops etc cant cope

No, you are wrong. Panic buying did not cause the shortage. The shortage (and reporting of it) caused the panic buying."

Totally disagree and yet again people blaming everyone else rather than taking personal responsibility. Did the media not report that there was no shortage and people shouldn't panic by but people for they knew better!

By *ev257Man  over a year ago

cardiff

Was in West Wales this morning n petrol in all stations n no queuing.

Got back to Cardiff this afternoon, all petrol station I have seen have run out.

Bristol

There’s a difference between a trend and a crisis event. Governments before 2010 didn’t address the trend; the governments of 2010 and after are the architects of this crisis.

You miss the point: it was the EU's free movement policy that flooded the labour market... to the glee of bad employers. That policy resulted, pre-2010 and post-2010, in UK drivers being forced out of the industry.

All people of good will will be celebrating now that that bullying is coming to an end"

Again, you are taking about a trend. The trend did not cause this current crisis. The crisis was caused by Brexit. If there was no Brexit, the trend would continue but the current crisis would not exist.

Spain, Lancs

All people of good will will be celebrating now that that bullying is coming to an end

Again, you are taking about a trend. The trend did not cause this current crisis. The crisis was caused by Brexit. If there was no Brexit, the trend would continue but the current crisis would not exist."

You'd rather the labour market remained flooded with cheap labour?

Bristol

"if people didnt panic buy then there wouldnt be a shortage, a fuel station has an amount of fuel it expects to sell every week, therefore orders that amount, the problems start when more is sold than they expect, thats when the problems start, same as before, if everyone kept to normal usage then all would be ok, change that then its no suprise that shops etc cant cope

No, you are wrong. Panic buying did not cause the shortage. The shortage (and reporting of it) caused the panic buying.

Totally disagree and yet again people blaming everyone else rather than taking personal responsibility. Did the media not report that there was no shortage and people shouldn't panic by but people for they knew better!"

Why were the media reporting on it if it didn’t exist? Are you suggesting they collectively decided to start telling people there was no shortage of fuel out of the blue?

What personal responsibility should people be taking? Is it my fault the government have created a the circumstances for a food, energy and fuel crisis here? Is it yours? I suppose it really depends how you voted, but on that my conscience is completely clear.

It's a bit of both really. We've created a feedback loop.

Bristol

Again, you are taking about a trend. The trend did not cause this current crisis. The crisis was caused by Brexit. If there was no Brexit, the trend would continue but the current crisis would not exist.

You'd rather the labour market remained flooded with cheap labour?"

A redundant rhetorical question. If the Labour market needed to be made fair, I would have wanted the government to use the many tools at its disposal to make the labour market fair.

Creating a national crisis does not make the market fair, and is not the action of a competent government. But once again, there was no secret this government was incompetent - if you voted for them, you voted for them knowing they were exactly so.

There are long queues outside my local Shell station this morning. It was reported, before Driver shortage, a petrol station could receive a fuel delivery every 24hours. Today, that same patrol station said it’s a 10 day wait .

Bristol

"It's a bit of both really. We've created a feedback loop. "

That’s correct. But panic buying was as a result of shortages, not the other way round as was suggested.

Spain, Lancs

A redundant rhetorical question. If the Labour market needed to be made fair, I would have wanted the government to use the many tools at its disposal to make the labour market fair.

Creating a national crisis does not make the market fair, and is not the action of a competent government. But once again, there was no secret this government was incompetent - if you voted for them, you voted for them knowing they were exactly so."

In what sense is it redundant to restore balance to a labour market by removing the EU s artificially created surplus of labour?

You seem to be suggesting it should not be tackled. How would you tackle it?

Bristol

Creating a national crisis does not make the market fair, and is not the action of a competent government. But once again, there was no secret this government was incompetent - if you voted for them, you voted for them knowing they were exactly so.

In what sense is it redundant to restore balance to a labour market by removing the EU s artificially created surplus of labour?

You seem to be suggesting it should not be tackled. How would you tackle it?"

It’s redundant for the reasons stated in the post you quoted. Once again - creating a national crisis (‘removing the EU’) is not a competent way to tackle inequalities in a single labour market. It’s like saying the way to fix an ingrowing toenail is to hack your own leg off with an axe. It is simply the catastrophic result of a reckless, unthinking and incompetent government.

If you think that means I am suggesting the problem should not have been tackled at all, your comprehension is critically flawed.

"It's a bit of both really. We've created a feedback loop.

That’s correct. But panic buying was as a result of shortages, not the other way round as was suggested."

was the panic buying proportionate to the shortage ? I'm not sure eitjer way ... But if it's an over reaction then it's slightly harsh to blame the (small) shortage for causing the queues.

It's foolishness. There are people that depend on their vehicles for work that cannot fill up because people are getting there pants in a bunch and panic buying.

I wonder how pissed there going to be when they can't get their Amazon deliveries.

Time off work what's not to like

Bristol

"It's a bit of both really. We've created a feedback loop.

That’s correct. But panic buying was as a result of shortages, not the other way round as was suggested.was the panic buying proportionate to the shortage ? I'm not sure eitjer way ... But if it's an over reaction then it's slightly harsh to blame the (small) shortage for causing the queues. "

Of course panic buying was not proportionate - it’s panic buying! If buying is proportionate it’s just shopping!

By *ucksguy2000Man  over a year ago

aylesbury

Any fuel in or near Aylesbury

"A lot of blame on the media and yes, we're the gullible mass that take it in, although I personally like to check my facts! And yes the media have run with it but it's still the consumers acting like headless chickens but ultimately... was it planned?

British labour, drivers etc are expensive and as consumers and the media, as a collective we're gullible and predictable. The 'crisis' started with BP closing some of their stations and making it public knowledge... so is it not possible that it's just corporate management, banking on our predictability and the chaos theory, knowing full well the government would have to step in and reconsider visas and opening the market back up to cheaper labour and bigger profits for the top dogs?"

By *estless nativeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

Reports of sperm banks running out of supplies as all the wankers are queuing at petrol stations

Norwich

"Why all of a sudden we have a shortage of tanker drivers?. Could it be that because the government isn't allowing in cheap labour and asking for drivers to get a reasonable wage and conditions. By the way I'm not a driver .

This

(an ex-driver)why ex ? Was it just pay or was there anything else (from what i read you can throw in tax changes, lack of planning, lack of tests, as well as better options elsewhere)

Be interesting to hear your take from the inside. "

The pay was part of it. I remember losing over £150 pw in about 6 months and just thinking that what was left didn't pay for being away from home 4 nights a week and having to live in laybys shitting in a carrier bag. After I left things got even worse.

By *odgerMooreMan  over a year ago

Carlisle

"I have panic bought all the D size batteries…. So if you ladies need a rabbit recharge …. You’ll have to come to me!! - also available all brown M&M’s and all white xmas lights - available in any colour!!!

Rabbits don’t take ‘D’ batteries. "

D’oh!!!! - have to see if they do sale or return….. anyone need 1500 toilet rolls? 3 tonnes of pasta? 1200 tins of tomatoes - I’ve only just bought 12,500 gallons of petrol for my strimmer too!!!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 01/10/21 15:13:50]

****smug post warning****

After a month, yep a month,,,of not putting petrol into the guzzler. .. i ventured out! A 4 min wait at traffic lights to the petrol garage, 1 car in front and ive a full tank in both cars (one filled up a week ago )

Its peace and tranquility here!

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

"

You'd rather the labour market remained flooded with cheap labour?"

Exactly, I know many companies they don't even hire British people, because they can employ cheap Bulgarian, Romanian or polish truck drivers. Even my work they advertise the jobs in Bulgaria as they can pay them 26k where as British want over 30k for driving a truck. We even employ people who don't speak a word English for other jobs as they are cheap, dont moan, and do the job. Bosses are happy as they are profitable. Even with new rules on visas you can still hire people from abroad.

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Jesus it’s been chaos in Norfolk this week at fuel stations. I came back up north tonight, no queues, filled up and it’s 12p a litre cheaper up here!

Hope it’s sorted in Norfolk over the weekend for when I go back

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

You can buy a pack of 50 plus bog rolls from amazon, there was no shortage.

Sadly, you can't buy fuel from them yet....

"Petrol is the new toilet roll.

Sadly, you can't buy fuel from them yet...."

You could order a siphon from them though. And use it on their van while they're not looking

Tin town

"Petrol is the new toilet roll.

Sadly, you can't buy fuel from them yet....

You could order a siphon from them though. And use it on their van while they're not looking "

I know its tongue in cheek...

The millions of amazon / just eat / deliveroo / ocado / Tesco vans on the road probably contribute to the shortage... Its a funny old world.

By *omer47Man  over a year ago

leigh

There isn't a fuel shortage, just drivers. If the media hadn't mentioned it then people would not have been selfish and gone out panic buying. The ones that used to put £10/20/30 of fuel in there vehicle suddenly started filling up and taking jerry cans with them thats made pertol and deisle hard to get hold of. We are a greedy, selfish nation who only think of themselves that has made this situation worse than it ever was.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

I saw a funny sign on the side of a hgv, it said we have no fuel for this vehicle but it’s ok as we have no driver either

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Has anyone read about the drivers who followed a concrete lorry for miles then had a go at the driver because he hadn't told them he wasn't carrying petrol?

I love the 'there isn't a fuel shortage' line.

"Can I buy some fuel?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"We don't have any."

"You've run out?"

"No."

"Ah great, can I get some fuel then?"

"No."

There isn't a shortage. You just can't have any. Well that's a relief.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"Has anyone read about the drivers who followed a concrete lorry for miles then had a go at the driver because he hadn't told them he wasn't carrying petrol?"

Yes I saw that, sometimes all you can do is laugh.

Bedford

Could be near Christmas when things will be ok all over UK.

The south is still buggered.

Then the Christmas surge, a possible bad winter weather wise may throw a spanner in the works.

Add lorry drivers quitting through frustration bad pay.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

It won't be long before white vans will have signs like "No Fuel Kept In This Vehicle Overnight".

That reminds me i must fill my car tomorrow

By *ean counterMan  over a year ago

Kettering ish

"Has anyone read about the drivers who followed a concrete lorry for miles then had a go at the driver because he hadn't told them he wasn't carrying petrol?

Yes I saw that, sometimes all you can do is laugh."

Funny thing was that they had followed the lorry from Kettering to Northampton which is about 15 miles ! They all would have used about half a gallon of fuel just following him forget covid 19, stupidity is the new epidemic!

By *ames-77Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

You do realise there is no fuel shortage whatsoever right? No one ever said there was... all the fuel that didn't get sold during lockdown is now being pushed out before it's no good.. keep watching the news keep playing the game

"You do realise there is no fuel shortage whatsoever right? No one ever said there was... all the fuel that didn't get sold during lockdown is now being pushed out before it's no good.. keep watching the news keep playing the game"

Cool conspiracy

But we switched to a new type of fuel just a few days ago (E10)....

Tin town

"Has anyone read about the drivers who followed a concrete lorry for miles then had a go at the driver because he hadn't told them he wasn't carrying petrol?

Yes I saw that, sometimes all you can do is laugh.

Funny thing was that they had followed the lorry from Kettering to Northampton which is about 15 miles ! They all would have used about half a gallon of fuel just following him forget covid 19, stupidity is the new epidemic! "

Wonder what they'd have done when they caught up with him... Demanded petrol or your life dick Turpin style?

Images of sid James with a tricorn hat spring to mind.

By *sBlueWoman  over a year ago

Up North

It’s ok up north where I am

By *oppolocosTV/TS  over a year ago

inverurie

"Been past a few fuel stations this morning people queuing. Is itbthe same up and down the country "

Just another Brexit bonus!

By *UCKER56Man  over a year ago

Walsall

No issue now... Fuel everywhere :0)

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

It's finally easing in the deep south

» Add a new message to this topic