FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > little black dress

little black dress

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ursevamps OP   Woman  over a year ago

bucks

one for both ladies ad gents.

I have a formal presentation to attend in little then a month and have been asked to buy a lbd.

as it a formal attire event what do people recommend, do i go for the classic cocktail dress or evening/ prom dress look.

UNsure what is appropriate in this situation .

event being held at the Marriott hotel and it a sit down meal with pre drinks of champers apparently.

apart from being scared witless at a formal event dont wish to show people up in wrong attire lol

so what do people recommend in this situatiuation?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oooh now tests a tricky one.....firms actually means dresses below the knee and covered shoulders.....refer to Debretts its the formal etiquette book. However you can kill two birds these days, cocktail dress with a shawl to cover your shoulders....hope that helps..x

A knee length cocktail dress would be perfect. Try Coast, their dresses are beautiful.

bucks

i have been looking i have seen a few on ebay but i cant gget many off the rail dresses as i need a 22/24 so am limited lol

"i have been looking i have seen a few on ebay but i cant gget many off the rail dresses as i need a 22/24 so am limited lol "

Simplybe

If it is a business event, I would go for classic glamour, as in a dress that does not reveal too much flesh, and glam up with jewellery and accessories, with the hair and make-up done nicely but not OTT.

I am thinking of Pretty Woman's glamorous sophistication in that LBD when she was taken out on a business dinner.

Good luck!

Was just going to say Simplybe ......grt.minds

"Was just going to say Simplybe ......grt.minds "

Indeed

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Classic cut simple knee length dress ....classic peep toe 4 " heeled shoes....simply jewellry.....not too much make up......hair perfectly styled n groomed

your clothing might possibly be an option too.. i like their stuff

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Dorothy Perkins go up to a size 22 and do some great ibd at the moment. Coast do some great dresses along with monsoon and they go up to a 22.

bucks

thanks ladies i already have the three inch black heels in a lacey material they simply sexy lol but was thinking a knee length Georgette style flowing material but tryig to find one those lol

i brought a black dress from coast on sale a few weeks ago. but its lush and not my standard dress

i think with heels it will be great

x

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

You are tall so could carry a full length dress. It will work if not too flouncy. Keep it simple, with some sleeve or a lacy shawl. If going for the shawl option you could use this to add a small touch of colour or glitter but only a tad.

I have a georgette bolero that also works to provide a bit of cover. Try Phase 8 and Hobbs as they still had some stuff on sale.

bucks

ok i have now purchased a little black dress off ebay in black Lacey detail and a black silk bow now all i need is the diamonds and pearls no puns please

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"ok i have now purchased a little black dress off ebay in black Lacey detail and a black silk bow now all i need is the diamonds and pearls no puns please

"

Sounds lovely

bucks

yes it goes with my utterly gorgous heels lol bad i nknow

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"yes it goes with my utterly gorgous heels lol bad i nknow

"

badder the better

bucks

i kno w supposed to by the dress then accessorize i dont do it that way lol i buy shoes and bag then find a dress to match lol but it very sophisticated hmm lol

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"i kno w supposed to by the dress then accessorize i dont do it that way lol i buy shoes and bag then find a dress to match lol but it very sophisticated hmm lol

"

nothing wrong with that...best thing to do...

bucks

i know but i get maoned at for it lol i have too many handbags apparently and shoes as well nbut it a pecial occasion it a award presentation so all posh

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"i know but i get maoned at for it lol i have too many handbags apparently and shoes as well nbut it a pecial occasion it a award presentation so all posh

"

well i hope it goes well for you and im sure you will look fabulous xx

LBD definitely, anything like a prom dress looks too over the top. If it was for a wedding then okay, but a dinner dance calls for something sleaker. And that comes from attending many myself (in black tie!). A few ladies wore prom dresses and stood out, but not in a good way.

bucks

hm well we were all looking at promy types but i don't find it flattering so i went knee length Lacey classic type lie Audrey Hepburn simple but classy lol

bucks

ty fem

"hm well we were all looking at promy types but i don't find it flattering so i went knee length Lacey classic type lie Audrey Hepburn simple but classy lol

"

always simple and classic.

its timeless elegance.

bucks

what i was going for asnd im now watching a uzi smith bag to match lol

I bought a dress a few months ago for a work event, and it was a Holly Willoughby black dress, cut for the curvy figure with just a bit of see though chiffon at the top of the shoulders. I wasn't really expecting too much when I bought it, but it fits really well and it hugs my curves and actually looks really quite sexy without showing any flesh.

As it was a work thing I couldn't wear the colours I usually go for, but I don't feel properly dressed without a twist of colour somewhere, so I went for a fresh flower wrist corsage which was made up for me by the afternoon and it did look lovely.

What you have bought sounds perfect, have a good time

» Add a new message to this topic