FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Breakdown of Civilisation

Breakdown of Civilisation

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Are we seeing the first green shoots of the breakdown of civilisation? Climate change and wars displacing populations, food security waning, overpopulation, etc etc..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

Fingers crossed!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Green shoots?

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

First green shoots ?

Where have you been Tom ?

Whole swathes of the planet are plunged in to economic crisis, societal crisis, political strife, military instability, imperial hegemony, religious genocide and on top of that there is a worldwide pandemic.

It's a bonfire of the sanities out there.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"First green shoots ?

Where have you been Tom ?

Whole swathes of the planet are plunged in to economic crisis, societal crisis, political strife, military instability, imperial hegemony, religious genocide and on top of that there is a worldwide pandemic.

"

Great change of consonant!

The comet can't come soon enough Tom, we're a virus killing our host. I feel sorry for the kids tho. Not their fault.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Not forgetting the microchip shortage, Tom.

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"

Great change of consonant! "

Why, thank you kindly !

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

We're all going to die!

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

"The comet can't come soon enough Tom, we're a virus killing our host. I feel sorry for the kids tho. Not their fault."

Doom monger. The planet won’t die because of us. Help the kids rather than leave them to suffer .

"Are we seeing the first green shoots of the breakdown of civilisation? Climate change and wars displacing populations, food security waning, overpopulation, etc etc.. "

Yes, we better get tins in.

I'd be happy for a zombie apocalypse at least. The slow ones though, not the ones that can run.

When have we ever been civilised?

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

Elon Jeff and richard have an escape plan, i'm building myself a big catapult, elastic band donations appreciated.

No one gets out alive anyway,there's always been wars.think your overthinking it,what if it's not global warming,but a cycle that's happened before,?

"The comet can't come soon enough Tom, we're a virus killing our host. I feel sorry for the kids tho. Not their fault.

Doom monger. The planet won’t die because of us. Help the kids rather than leave them to suffer ."

No the planet will be fine, it's us lot that're fucked. Us and the species we are taking out with us.

In about a million years there'll be only archaelogical evidence of our civilisation and trace radiation from the 1000s of nuclear weapons we've exploded as if they were firecrackers. New species will blossom again, some other life form can dominate.

A million years for the planet to recover, but that's about a year in planetary terms. Even less in stellar terms.

I'm a realist not a doom monger. We are a virus.

"The comet can't come soon enough Tom, we're a virus killing our host. I feel sorry for the kids tho. Not their fault.

Doom monger. The planet won’t die because of us. Help the kids rather than leave them to suffer .

No the planet will be fine, it's us lot that're fucked. Us and the species we are taking out with us.

In about a million years there'll be only archaelogical evidence of our civilisation and trace radiation from the 1000s of nuclear weapons we've exploded as if they were firecrackers. New species will blossom again, some other life form can dominate.

A million years for the planet to recover, but that's about a year in planetary terms. Even less in stellar terms.

I'm a realist not a doom monger. We are a virus. "

I wonder which bits of us will survive, to be dug up in a million years and totally lost it's context.

"Green shoots?"

It's all over the shoots.

I'm a realist not a doom monger. We are a virus.

I wonder which bits of us will survive, to be dug up in a million years and totally lost it's context. "

That's what I think about the Great Pyramids at Giza. Context lost.

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

"Are we seeing the first green shoots of the breakdown of civilisation? Climate change and wars displacing populations, food security waning, overpopulation, etc etc.. "

No, that sounds like the thoughts of someone who gets scared by the media. Does that sound like you?

Fareham

What ‘we’re fucked’ person would seriously look into a child’s face and say that?

Be part of the solution not the problem.

"What ‘we’re fucked’ person would seriously look into a child’s face and say that?

Be part of the solution not the problem."

I don't have kids. If I did I wouldn't bang on about them going on extinction rebellion protests tho.

Fareham

"What ‘we’re fucked’ person would seriously look into a child’s face and say that?

I don't have kids. If I did I wouldn't bang on about them going on extinction rebellion protests tho."

Why don’t you plant a tree or something? Anything rather than being cynical.

I don't have kids. If I did I wouldn't bang on about them going on extinction rebellion protests tho.

Why don’t you plant a tree or something? Anything rather than being cynical."

It's not cynicism. It's realism. I'm an optimist, but there's no point being optimistic about there being some kind of global economic and political revolution in my lifetime. 50 years to change it all around? Do you really think Apple, JP Morgan and Exxon Mobil care past their next shareholders meeting?

I tell you what you could hope for realistically: Pockets of humanity in, say, the Amazon rainforest surviving and living peacefully.

Fareham

It's not cynicism. It's realism. I'm an optimist, but there's no point being optimistic about there being some kind of global economic and political revolution in my lifetime. 50 years to change it all around? Do you really think Apple, JP Morgan and Exxon Mobil care past their next shareholders meeting?

I tell you what you could hope for realistically: Pockets of humanity in, say, the Amazon rainforest surviving and living peacefully. "

Realism? Acting positive is realistic. Are you growing old thinking yes I let the selfish win without a fight?

I tell you what you could hope for realistically: Pockets of humanity in, say, the Amazon rainforest surviving and living peacefully.

Realism? Acting positive is realistic. Are you growing old thinking yes I let the selfish win without a fight?"

Pick your battles I say. I mean, I've been up for flaming torches and pitchforks for most of my adult life, but look how people without power or money demonise Greta and extinction rebellion on the internet. If there's a popular uprising I'm in, I'll put my life on the line. It simply isn't popular so what's the point of dying or being imprisoned when life is so short?

Planet earth needs a reset

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"No one gets out alive anyway,there's always been wars.think your overthinking it,what if it's not global warming,but a cycle that's happened before,? "

The evidence is certain - the causes of global heating are predominantly human, rather than any natural or cyclical cause.

Chelmsford

"No one gets out alive anyway,there's always been wars.think your overthinking it,what if it's not global warming,but a cycle that's happened before,?

The evidence is certain - the causes of global heating are predominantly human, rather than any natural or cyclical cause. "

What Caused the first Ice age and did the ice melt...

What caused the second Ice age and why did it melt?

Asking for a friend

Chelmsford

Why don’t you plant a tree or something? Anything rather than being cynical."

Plant a tree.?

Why not throw a few runestones while your at it.

If you stop watching the news all this goes away, disappears, you wouldn’t be able tell apart from a few empty shelves in the supermarket.

Bedford

A bit of context here but wasn’t it always the same when you watched the news? Threat of nuclear war, riots in places…

There’s always something about to happen if you look for it. Change something for the better if you can but don’t be alarmed by it - it doesn’t help

The world has never been the same since they made that Hadron Collider.

Grab your tin foil hats and start digging a fallout shelter

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

Recession has been long overdue. Everything is due to come crashing down and likely a war will happen to regain power or supplies.

By *immyinreadingMan  over a year ago

henley on thames

Wars are new?

henley on thames

"A bit of context here but wasn’t it always the same when you watched the news? Threat of nuclear war, riots in places…

There’s always something about to happen if you look for it. Change something for the better if you can but don’t be alarmed by it - it doesn’t help"

Completely agree. Getting wrapped up in current crises and getting worried / angry about everything is no way to live life. Being on a constant news feed is just unhealthy, lurching from one drama / disaster to another .

By *hat BlokeMan  over a year ago

Harrogate

The only constant is change. However you look at that change - over decades, centuries or millennia - enjoy your time here and try your best to leave the world a better place than you found it.

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Humanity, as with all other creatures that once lived on Earth and are now extinct, will die out in time. The planet will be just fine. Just when that occurs is the only thing we have a tiny bit of control over.

However, politicians and their monied handlers will give lip service to climate change but in the end will still spend much more of our money building armed forces to protect from one another than trying to stop the inevitable. That is the nature of humanity; a myopic view of the future.

henley on thames

I’m confused. Green shoots are a positive thing, a sign of regrowth or recovery, but you seem to be using the term to describe decline?

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

There is a component/gas crisis just round the corner.

No microchips no CO2 no auto parts glass shortages and a supply chain issue.

Tighten your belts for a bumpy ride. Won’t be long before we living like Mad max.

By *tue555Man  over a year ago

Passed Beyond Reach

"We're all going to die!"

I 5 billion years absolutely when the sun goes super nova

By *iman2100Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"We're all going to die!

I 5 billion years absolutely when the sun goes super nova"

You hang around for that... Send me a post card.

By *d4fun73Man  over a year ago

Shipley

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine... Singalong now!

By *iltopbearMan  over a year ago

Norfolk

Well something HAS to happen soon as the implications for humanity are massive.

Chelmsford

We will revert to warring tribes sooner rather than later

By *igmaMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"We will revert to warring tribes sooner rather than later "

Very Malthusian

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"There is a component/gas crisis just round the corner.

Tighten your belts for a bumpy ride. Won’t be long before we living like Mad max. "

It’s nice to have 18 different types of pasta on the supermarket shelf, but we survived when there was just 10 and we can do it again, humans are remarkable when it comes to adapting to change

henley on thames

Some people seem to love jumping up and down shouting that the end of the world is nigh.

I’m only in my 50’s but somehow have already lived through a ton of world-ending situations.

There’s a big difference between a bit of inconvenience in the supply chain and the end of civilisation.

By *an4funMan  over a year ago

london

"We're all going to die!

I 5 billion years absolutely when the sun goes super nova"

I can't wait that long

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

"Fingers crossed!"

No amount of time in the gym will save you if civ falls lol ...

Bedford

Tighten your belts for a bumpy ride. Won’t be long before we living like Mad max. "

None of these things are true. I’m sourcing components from all over the world, microchips and everything. Supply is a bit slow but it will improve and let’s face it, the whole world isn’t going to collapse if you have to wait 3 months for a Ford Fiesta instead of 1 month.

Just to add some facts, like

agenda 2030 transfer of wealth from poor to rich you will own nothin be told what to do and be happy haha all going to plan so far global food shortages is next step which is underway already well thats the conspiricy theorey anyway if you listen to them haha probably shit but what if it ain’t???? ah haha

"We're all going to die!"

Bedford

"agenda 2030 transfer of wealth from poor to rich you will own nothin be told what to do and be happy haha all going to plan so far global food shortages is next step which is underway already well thats the conspiricy theorey anyway if you listen to them haha probably shit but what if it ain’t???? ah haha "

Sounds like things are exactly as they have been for the last 500 years. That’s like saying there’s a secret plan to make night follow day

Tighten your belts for a bumpy ride. Won’t be long before we living like Mad max.

None of these things are true. I’m sourcing components from all over the world, microchips and everything. Supply is a bit slow but it will improve and let’s face it, the whole world isn’t going to collapse if you have to wait 3 months for a Ford Fiesta instead of 1 month.

Just to add some facts, like "

How about 2 mths if I go for less components and no chips.

Bedford

How about 2 mths if I go for less components and no chips. "

Sadly most things are like a teenager’s diet - chips have to be with everything

How about 2 mths if I go for less components and no chips.

Sadly most things are like a teenager’s diet - chips have to be with everything "

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I can imagine the Emperor Honorius thought the same.

Chelmsford

It's unravelling brick by brick

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"It's unravelling brick by brick"
I suppose if we’re mixing metaphors like a pancake then there’s concrete evidence that brick by brick, a great deal of land is being built in. For short term gain and long term misery.

Bedford

"It's unravelling brick by brick"

And when exactly were the bricks all ravelled up nicely?

By *appyPandaMan  over a year ago

Kilkenny, but Dublin is more fun

The Council of Rome's predictions made in Limits to Growth have stood the test of time for the most part, and now seems to be the point where food scarcity will be a continuing destabilization of the global socioeconomic model.

Civilisations come and go and to think this global one so dependent on consumption at massive scales and focused on growth and profit for the few is different is naive, especially when it's founded on pure fantasy and social constructs.

Too bad so many of us humans have accepted as a perfectly normal and even convince ourselves it's reality when it's little more than our fantasy world we built up around ourselves, disconnected from reality completely.

By *appyPandaMan  over a year ago

Kilkenny, but Dublin is more fun

I'm a realist not a doom monger. We are a virus. "

I wouldn't be so cynical. We're just a species that grew intelligent to fit a niche, and we did it well, but that intelligence allowed us to grow far faster than we could possibly evolve. We are still mostly the same as the hunter gatherers we were for 95% of our history as a species, but once we truly started settling down and building up walls around us and nature, it got easier to convince ourselves the whole planet was about us. We got trapped in illusions of self importance.

I don't look forward to the chaos that is to come in the coming decades (or even next year's El Nina) but it's nice to appreciate being able to be aware of all this and being able to love being on this ancient planet, knowing it's very unlikely we could ever leave it completely barren. Life will find a way, and it doesn't need to be intelligent to have beauty.

We proved that. Intelligence is likely too self destructive to last more than a few measly thousand years.

» Add a new message to this topic