FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Men - a question

Men - a question

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Listening to a series on men it concluded that men are made by their peers and idols. Men will aspire to impress other men and women just don't really feature.

So, men, who or what shaped you and where do women fit into your equation?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Listening to a series on men it concluded that men are made by their peers and idols. Men will aspire to impress other men and women just don't really feature.

So, men, who or what shaped you and where do women fit into your equation?"

I've been shaped by several factors.

Family, close friends, previous life experiences - oh - and beer, wine and fudge cake!!

I'm not bothered at all as to how others _iew me - I'm me - and if they don't like it they can jog on! I gave up trying to do things to impress long ago - and I'm much happier being content with who I am!

By *damandeve4funCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

If I was out to impress other men, certainly those in my peer group of family, I would not be the man I am today. I would be an alcohol-swilling, sexist homophobe who thought good banter was to pick on people's faults for a good slagging and who thought that imprisoning, torturing, raping and killing animals for my selfish pleasure was a good and ethical way to feed myself.

I suppose reacting to things I don't like (and some things I do) about other men has helped shape my personality and beliefs. But ditto women. I have also been shaped by reading and other lifetime experiences.

So I think it is too simplistic to say that men are shaped by trying to impress other men as I have rarely had many male friends, never mind ones I have wanted to impress. And, while there are men I admire (Shaw, Dawkins, Ghandi, Morrissey, Hitchins), there are none I would consider idols.

Now, going out to impress women...that has been a lifetime's work! (not that I claim to have been particularly successful at it).

not really thought about it, other than I've always really felt unique

in my psychological makeup

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Barney Stinson and before that The Fonze

Heyyyyy!

Interesting responses, thank you.

The episode on sex was particularly interesting. It seems the construct of men can't control themselves and it is women at fault for leading them on is relatively modern (200 years or so).

It is worth listening to.

"Listening to a series on men it concluded that men are made by their peers and idols. Men will aspire to impress other men and women just don't really feature.

I've been shaped by several factors.

Family, close friends, previous life experiences - oh - and beer, wine and fudge cake!!

I'm not bothered at all as to how others _iew me - I'm me - and if they don't like it they can jog on! I gave up trying to do things to impress long ago - and I'm much happier being content with who I am! "

What was the point at which you realised impressing others wasn't the way to go? Was it something specific or more of a journey?

"If I was out to impress other men, certainly those in my peer group of family, I would not be the man I am today. I would be an alcohol-swilling, sexist homophobe who thought good banter was to pick on people's faults for a good slagging and who thought that imprisoning, torturing, raping and killing animals for my selfish pleasure was a good and ethical way to feed myself.

I suppose reacting to things I don't like (and some things I do) about other men has helped shape my personality and beliefs. But ditto women. I have also been shaped by reading and other lifetime experiences.

So I think it is too simplistic to say that men are shaped by trying to impress other men as I have rarely had many male friends, never mind ones I have wanted to impress. And, while there are men I admire (Shaw, Dawkins, Ghandi, Morrissey, Hitchins), there are none I would consider idols.

Now, going out to impress women...that has been a lifetime's work! (not that I claim to have been particularly successful at it)."

This is very interesting as I can read this as being shaped by the men around you. Not to be like them but to be as much unlike them as possible.

"not really thought about it, other than I've always really felt unique

in my psychological makeup"

Does that come from the work you have done?

"Barney Stinson and before that The Fonze

Heyyyyy! "

Barney is really the son of The Fonze - even if his 'dad' seems to be Third Rock in origin.

"Interesting responses, thank you.

The episode on sex was particularly interesting. It seems the construct of men can't control themselves and it is women at fault for leading them on is relatively modern (200 years or so).

It is worth listening to."

is that really worth listening to? lol...along with the men think about sex every 3 minutes nonsense etc etc..I take much of that 'statistical data' as pure pish.I certainly dont think about sex when I'm playing with my cat, or indeed the many other cases that arise in life.Which is quite amazing when most would consider me having more of a sex drive than others.Things like that never add up in my thinking.

I'd gather much of this evidence is based around the some of the flawed freudian theories on sexual development.

It is worth listening to.

is that really worth listening to? lol...along with the men think about sex every 3 minutes nonsense etc etc..I take much of that 'statistical data' as pure pish.I certainly dont think about sex when I'm playing with my cat, or indeed the many other cases that arise in life.Which is quite amazing when most would consider me having more of a sex drive than others.Things like that never add up in my thinking.

I'd gather much of this evidence is based around the some of the flawed freudian theories on sexual development."

The whole series was interesting. It was based on case studies, looking at history and the flawed theories.

Does that come from the work you have done?"

as in working with people for mental health??...nope lol..I think I've just had a balanced _iew of the nature nurture debates, and I tend to think its a level of newtonian thinking that everything is clockwork and pre-determined to explain much of the humnan experience.After all, its basically saying we cant change who we are from the biological _iewpoint, and that everything has an eventual reason.Whether it be psychological ,biological, experts will claim stupid stuff to validate previous experts findings, just to make sense of things that are actually outwith their knowledge of understanding.

Does that come from the work you have done?

as in working with people for mental health??...nope lol..I think I've just had a balanced _iew of the nature nurture debates, and I tend to think its a level of newtonian thinking that everything is clockwork and pre-determined to explain much of the humnan experience.After all, its basically saying we cant change who we are from the biological _iewpoint, and that everything has an eventual reason.Whether it be psychological ,biological, experts will claim stupid stuff to validate previous experts findings, just to make sense of things that are actually outwith their knowledge of understanding."

Thank you. That is very insightful.

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

Men are my peers

Women are my entertainment

"Men are my peers

Women are my entertainment "

That is also quite insightful.

London

"Men are my peers

Women are my entertainment

That is also quite insightful."

Not into my character though!

By *andyguy59Man  over a year ago

Gatwick

"Listening to a series on men it concluded that men are made by their peers and idols. Men will aspire to impress other men and women just don't really feature"

"So, men, who or what shaped you and where do women fit into your equation?"

From the type of 'shaping' you mean, I think i was influenced by:

Both my parents...Father in some ways Mother in others.

Teachers (certain teachers in particular)and peers at school

Scout Leaders and other youth leaders and my peers in those organisations.

Where do women feature? Mainly as friends and confidants I think.

As for the "aspire to impress other men" as far as I'm concerned the only people I've really tried to impress are my parents - they sacrificed so I could get my education (didn't realise the sacrifice at the time but do very much now).

As for everyone else you will have to take me as I am ...bit 'Marmite' you'll either like me or not.

By *ainaldoMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

It is worth listening to."

Only 200yrs? Id have thought it's atleast 2000 yrs old what with Adam & Eve in the garden of Eden and id be surprised if that's the first written account.

London

Eve wasn't Adams first wife

Impress women, I get. Impress men, not sure. I'm not convinced.

By *inkyScot22Man  over a year ago

Anniesland

"Eve wasn't Adams first wife"

Lilith isn't in the christian bible any more is she? But back then women were blamed for everything, just look at the story of Pandora's box...

London

Lilith was the first swinger, not many know her story

"Eve wasn't Adams first wife

Lilith isn't in the christian bible any more is she? But back then women were blamed for everything, just look at the story of Pandora's box..."

Lillith was written out.

Blaming women for all sorts is not new - the mystery of giving birth has confounded men for many years. The change the series raised was that literature advanced a _iew of men having urges that had to be satisfied and that has shaped gender politics ever since.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I grew up with my mum and sister and zero relationship with my absent father... so no real male role models

until Marc Boaln appeared on screen.

then eye liner, sparkles and on my knees cock sucking.

Happy Days

"I grew up with my mum and sister and zero relationship with my absent father... so no real male role models

Happy Days "

Wanting to emulate and even impress Marc Bolan is perfectly understandable.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"I grew up with my mum and sister and zero relationship with my absent father... so no real male role models

Happy Days

Wanting to emulate and even impress Marc Bolan is perfectly understandable."

cheers

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

lickety can we have a woman's version of this thread pretty please

"lickety can we have a woman's version of this thread pretty please"

Er, ok. Do you want one on what shapes men or on what has shaped you as a woman?

I shaped me and woman fit between me and the mattress just like every other guy or the straight ones

I shaped me and woman fit between me and the mattress just like every other guy or the straight ones "

You never have you between a woman and the mattress?

By *andyguy59Man  over a year ago

Gatwick

"You never have you between a woman and the mattress?"

It is very nice being between a woman and the matress.... highly recommended.....

By *irtydanMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

Heyyyyy! "

the fonze was good

Heyyyyy! "

Suit up my friend

Heyyyyy! "

Suit up my friend

I'm not sure that the series you were watching was accurate ... it depends if a guy growns up in a patriarchy or a matriarchy and if he was either positively or negatively infulenced by it and ... oh god here we go with the Freudian stuff LOL

By *damandeve4funCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"If I was out to impress other men, certainly those in my peer group of family, I would not be the man I am today. I would be an alcohol-swilling, sexist homophobe who thought good banter was to pick on people's faults for a good slagging and who thought that imprisoning, torturing, raping and killing animals for my selfish pleasure was a good and ethical way to feed myself.

Now, going out to impress women...that has been a lifetime's work! (not that I claim to have been particularly successful at it).

This is very interesting as I can read this as being shaped by the men around you. Not to be like them but to be as much unlike them as possible."

That is true, but the original suggestion was that men try to "impress" other men.

Can I be different and suggest it is actually the women that I have loved that have shaped me and not the men ?

It is them who have given me the wherewithall, the confidence and the life skills to mature into actually quite a decent bloke.

The only man that has (knowledgeably) shaped me is my Dad and that is a genetic thing, because we are so similar.

Bussy is definately a chip off the old block.

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

Heyyyyy!

Suit up my friend"

Hells yeah! Let's stop being not awesome and start being AWESOME bro! (or sis)

"Can I be different and suggest it is actually the women that I have loved that have shaped me and not the men ?

It is them who have given me the wherewithall, the confidence and the life skills to mature into actually quite a decent bloke.

The only man that has (knowledgeably) shaped me is my Dad and that is a genetic thing, because we are so similar.

Bussy is definately a chip off the old block."

I am sure we could make an equally interesting programme setting out the evidence and affect of women shaping men. There would be as many interesting case studies.

I was shaped by movies, Bruce Lee, Clint Eastwood etc.

Music also helped shape me, G n R etc.

So, that means I walk like a chinese bloke with a cowboy hat on carrying a guitar

"I was shaped by movies, Bruce Lee, Clint Eastwood etc.

Music also helped shape me, G n R etc.

So, that means I walk like a chinese bloke with a cowboy hat on carrying a guitar "

That's some shape to see, I'm sure.

» Add a new message to this topic